• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired for using personal days?

Keri

The hell? You wrote all that out in this thread besides the emergency bit.

So are you saying there was an emergency?

OP, if you had an actual emergency today, then the new reason you were fired is because you suck at communication. Because your OP gives the following impression: "I can't make it in today...because I don't want to. Oh, personal days? Yeah, let's go with that."

norm9

How does that matter? I used a personal day I earned and was let go.

It matters alot. Saying you're not coming in on the tail end of a vacation because you have a flooded apartment, you got a stomach flu, etc. versus I'm taking a personal day with no explanation.

Yeah, technically, the time is yours to use, but you have to admit it doesn't look good, especially with a short leash.

Eta- I worked at a cell center for bill collections. One day, I just couldn't do it anymore because it was killing me inside and straight up stopped showing up. Best decision I made. You'll live and do something better, bro.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
How does that matter? I used a personal day I earned and was let go.
Because you are claiming he knows you even though you wrote all that information out in the course of this thread but suddenly reacted to what he said like he knew the inner most secrets of your firing.

Slo

This dude was literally fired a month ago. They took him back. And then he did this.

I mean, I can't judge his full situation, the nuances of the entire history, but obviously, from the position of the employer? Short leash. Call in an unscheduled day off, after having been fired before, coming off a vacation? They're going to be like "this dude is not worth the trouble."

And maybe the employer isn't worth the trouble, either.

Pretty sure the final twist to this thread is gonna be OP revealing himself as Jeffrey Lebowski.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where I have worked, personal days are not vacation days. They are there if you need to go to a doctor or something similar. That may be problem #1.

Problem #2 might be how you went about doing it. Were these approved? I've never worked at a job where I can just say "By the way, I'm not coming in tomorrow - personal day". There's always an approval process so your employer can cover for your absence.

Problem #3 might be that you just went back to work and you're already taking time off. I don't know your history there, but that seems irritating to me.

all of this. Need more info OP.

Pretty sure the final twist to this thread is gonna be OP revealing himself as Jeffrey Lebowski.

Which one, though. That might change my opinion.

If this dude is the actual dude, then I'm calling Walter and we're going to the manager's house to set a few things straight.

Go file for unemployment, and when they reject it appeal.

He probably can win the unemployment through dept of labor if what he said was true.

That's assuming he took 1 "sick day" after 3 scheduled vacation days off, and no other call-in rules were broken.

BTW I am in a union but we don't have "personal days", just paid sick days. You are required to produce documents if you take a sick day, especially 2 sick days in a row.

bengraven

There's no use getting caught up in the details of a job like this. Working in retail or a call center isn't a career, it's just work. They grind through employees because they 100% believe that they're all replaceable. They probably found someone who swore to never take a vacation and pulled te trigger.

Sadly this...

]I get what you guys/gals are saying, but my days do not roll over to next year[/b]. I have less than 2 months to use them or forget them. Having 3 days approved and calling in once in a year shouldn't justify me being fired. I'm honestly kind of sad about the mentality I'm seeing. The job I had previously that I worked for 10 years had a union and something like this would be unheard of. Sad to see its the norm for most places.

Also, I work at a place with 500 co workers. Not exactly damaging.

That's irrelevant. You don't just use them the day of with no notice especially after taking a 3 day holiday. That's just rude and unprofessional.

And you seemed to imply, rightfully or wrongfully, that this wasn't the first strike against you.

Grimsen

Really? I used 3 unpaid days and 1 paid. The 3 days off I put in the tracker weeks ago and it was approved by the time keeper. Today, I called in for a paid day off and hours later I received the voicemail. I still had 3 days paid left before expiration. Are you saying I can get paid for those 3 days?

Were those unpaid days off part of your annual vacation/time off bank? It's weird to me.

Where I've worked (I'm in Canada) unpaid time off can be approved, but it's not something the company owes, and they can refuse. It can also be negatively perceived. Paid vacation days and holidays are what we get here.

Ponn

Banned
So are you saying there was an emergency? Because all you said is that you took a personal day because your girlfriend is on fall break.

Does it matter? Some of you all are scarily ok with the erosion of workers rights and the elimination of sick days. People really shouldnt be advocating for bosses or HR to be checking up on Sick days excuses or acting like sick days or emergencies should be scheduled ahead of time or happen in a vacuum. That is a sure fire way to screw over every single parent at a call center. If you earned the days and followed the procedure that should be end of story. If he went over his earned PTO, well he really should have been given the opportunity to talk to someone because it could have been an FMLA situation for all his boss knew, but that situation wasnt even rwached.

Kite

lol what a coincidence, one of my senior managers is about to get his ass reamed out tomorrow by the Director cus he pulled the same shit OP did. He had last Mon to this Mon off, all requested ahead of time so no issues. Then he called in sick Tuesday and today.. he does this schtick every time after a vacation and usually it's no big deal, that rascal ___ gaming the system lol.

But this time he had a bunch of very important meetings and deadlines he dropped in the Director's lap as well the rest of us and we've been scrambling to cover for him. He didn't inform anyone about them and we found out when confused vendors started showing up at the front desk, then we checked his outlook calendar and found more stuff he didn't reschedule or tell anyone to cover for him. There will be fireworks and my office is right next door. Even people making close to six figures will get reamed for that bs, nevermind some call center grunt.

norm9

BTW I am in a union but we don't have "personal days", just paid sick days. You are required to produce document if you take a sick day, especially 2 sick days in a row.

I only learned recently my workplace needs a doctors note only AFTER the third day. For years, id roll in after two days still sick.

But this time he had a bunch of very important meetings and deadlines he dropped in the Director's lap as well the rest of us and we've been scrambling to cover for him. There will be fireworks and my office is right next door. So yeah even people making close to six figures will get reamed for that bs, nevermind some call center grunt.

I specifically don't take time off at the beginning of the month because of deadlines I'm responsible for. There's some things you can't mess with.

ZOONAMI

There's no use getting caught up in the details of a job like this. Working in retail or a call center isn't a career, it's just work. They grind through employees because they 100% believe that they're all replaceable. They probably found someone who swore to never take a vacation and pulled te trigger.

God I hate this not a career garbage. Not everyone is entitled to “a career.” If you work your ass off you can get promoted, literally doing any line of work but at the same time you can work your ass off and never get promoted. The vast majority of the world is working a dead end job and fuck the rich pricks who make it feel like they need to judge everyone else.

TaterTots

Banned
Not to my knowledge. Do I need to know you to think that your boss fucked you over?

It matters alot. Saying you're not coming in on the tail end of a vacation because you have a flooded apartment, you got a stomach flu, etc. versus I'm taking a personal day with no explanation.

Yeah, technically, the time is yours to use, but you have to admit it doesn't look good, especially with a short leash.

Eta- I worked at a cell center for bill collections. One day, I just couldn't do it anymore because it was killing me inside and straight up stopped showing up. Best decision I made. You'll live and do something better, bro.

Because you are claiming he knows you even though you wrote all that information out in the course of this thread but suddenly reacted to what he said like he knew the inner most secrets of your firing.

uhh this is embarrassing. I requested a few days off weeks ago so I could spend time with my fiance on fall break. Today I was evicted. I called multiple times to explain the situation but no one gives a shit. I even sent out emails to co workers, but no one is responding. Today was the first time I called in with nearly a year under my belt. The reason shouldn't be important. Me being fired for calling in once should be.

Hyun Sai

Taking a day off, no notice, after 3 days vacation ?

That shit won't fly anywhere, so for once " US work culture" got nothing to do with it. It's rude and unprofessionnal.

uhh this is embarrassing. I requested a few days off weeks ago so I could spend time with my fiance on fall break. Today I was evicted. I called multiple times to explain the situation but no one gives a shit. I even sent out emails to co workers, but no one is responding. Today was the first time I called in with nearly a year under my belt. The reason shouldn't be important. Me being fired for calling in once should be.

Given that according to your previous OP you had been let go from this place last month (I take it they took you back?) I don't think you can frame this as you getting just fired for using the personal day unannounced.

That said you know when you make threads you should probably include context.

This maked you calling in more reasonable assuming you told them when you called.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If you told your boss this when you called them then getting fired is definitely not cool.

Did you actually tell them this was the reason you were calling out for the day when you called in or did you just tell them you couldn't come in and leave it at that?

Keri

Well, I feel badly for you now, because this makes it clear you weren't trying to game the system. It really wasn't communicated well in the OP and I'm certain your boss had the same bad impression. You were just fired today, so it hasn't been very long since you've tried to explain. Maybe you'll hear back tomorrow, but since it sounds like they already brought you back once, after a termination, your boss may not be willing to do that again.

Follow the advice others gave you and file for unemployment then keep looking for a new job.

Slo

Did you actually tell them this was the reason you were calling out for the day when you called in or did you just tell them you couldn't come in and leave it at that?

We're going on over 120 posts of everyone trying to drag every fucking detail out of him to put some context around this situation, so of course he did a great job of communicating his reasons and his intentions to his employer. Of course he did.

TaterTots

Banned
You know when you make threads you should probably include context

I didn't want to include that in the OP because it shouldn't be important and I'm ashamed by it. I was let go for calling in once. Once.

If you told your boss this when you called them then getting fired is definitely not cool.

When I called in I wasn't asked for a reason, I was simply asked if I wanted to use a personal day like I stated previously. I've called several times and sent several emails since to have a conversation, but no luck thus far. Again, I was let go for calling in once in nearly a year. That isn't right to begin with.

3 of those days were in a tracker weeks in advance and approved. Today was the only day and I was let go. Since I don't work there anymore I'll go ahead and say who I worked for. It was a 3rd party for USAA. Obviously, I can't reveal anything deeper than that, but if that helps with rules and regulations/advice...

Having worked in payroll/hr I can tell you that in most states if you took those days unpaid and that was understood then you're SOL. Same for getting fired for using a personal day. In certain states its illegal to terminate an employee and not pay out accrued vacation, they're the exception not the rule however. I'm sorry for the shitty situation but honestly I'd say you don't have much recourse.

Also judging by the number of people saying you're owed money on here I'd say Gaf may not be the best forum for this question. Try r/humanresources, it's a smaller community but with a lot more people who have training and certifications in HR. Be sure to include your state in the description.

I didn't want to include that in the OP because it shouldn't be important and I'm ashamed by it. I was let go for calling in once. Once.

When I called in I wasn't asked for a reason, I was simply asked if I wanted to use a personal day like I stated previously. I've called several times and sent several emails since to have a conversation, but no luck thus far. Again, I was let go for calling in once in nearly a year. That isn't right to begin with.

Again you claimed last month you got let go for other reasons. Sorry but it doesn't seem you got let go just because of today...

And you don't wait for them to ask for a reason. You give it to them because under normal circumstances what you did is incredibly unprofessional... but you weren't under normal circumstances so you should have communicated it from the get go.

And context does matter.

Sakura

It sounded like you were already on thin ice though. By itself I don't think calling in once would get you fired, otherwise a call centre would have no employees.

You took a 3-day personal vacation and on the fourth day you were evicted? I want that story more than the fired story. How did you spend the 3-day vacation with the eviction notice on your door?

Slo

Now I want to hear the eviction story. I mean, I've already written 85% of it in my head, but I want to hear the other 15% of it.

Keri

You have to stop saying that, OP. It's not true. It was the catalyst that lead to your firing, but it's not the only reason you were fired.

ZOONAMI

Honestly in the US telling your employer you just got evicted wouldn’t help anything. It would be like great, now this guy is homeless, and they are probably thinking you have some pretty serious personal problems, which is shitty, but that’s life in the USA. Is op in the US? I tried to find it but couldn’t.

I’m not defending this shit but just saying that’s how it is, and it’s awful.

Op I feel for you, I posted a somewhat similar thread about having a job lined up, quitting my previous job, and having the job offer rescinded because of a background check. I’m alright now, but it took 6 fucking months and I didn’t have the luxury of unemployment. To me, if you have served your debt for whatever trouble you got into it’s completely insane that can keep you from getting a job, as it will just encourage recidivism.

zoozilla

I have to admit I get a little more confused each time the op posts.

In any case, extending a vacation with a last-minute call-in tends to be a faux pas in any workplace.

If there was a legitimate emergency that necessitated the last-minute notice, that changes things.

I work in an at-will state and coming from a land of employee's rights, I am amazed that people aren't rioting in the streets.

It's almost 2018 ffs. America is fucked up in so many ways. (no, I will not go back where I came from lol - I love it here, just recognise that many aspects of life are ridiculous, and people have been 100% brainwashed to defend such insane practices).

Absolutely agreed.

Yup. I was struggling as is. I shouldn't have made this thread I think. I should just talk to my fiance who has completely taken me in. There will always be someone to attack you on the internet. I need a break.

You should have provided the whole context.

No one is attacking you.

Honestly in the US telling your employer you just got evicted wouldn’t help anything. It would be like great, now this guy is homeless, and they are probably thinking you have some pretty serious personal problems, which is shitty, but that’s life in the USA. Is op in the US? I tried to find it but couldn’t.

It was "hidden" in the actual opening post.

Keri

LOL. Did you try...looking in the OP?
To be fair, it was an edit

Yup. I was struggling as is. I shouldn't have made this thread I think. I should just talk to my fiance who has completely taken me in. There will always be someone to attack you on the internet. I need a break.
I don’t see anyone attacking you. You didn’t provide the context and twisted the situation. I’m sorry about you losing your job.

Not much you can do now, but find a new job. Keep your head up. Send out those resumes and find somewhere better.

Like for the record this is everything left out of the OP:

1. OP was previously let go (or close to it?) it seems a month earlier
2. Op took 3 days off prior to asking for the 4th
3. Op only asked for the 4th on the day of.
4. Op did so because of eviction, a completely valid and understandable reason
5. But OP didn't tell their employer that fact when they called in to take the day off.

All of this context is needed to properly discuss the situation

Bellamin

Communication is important. At the very least, you could have sent an email to HR or your direct supervisor to explain why you took the day off. Unless they're truly unprofessional, they're not going to share that info with others and it would have given them context.

Do you see how most people responded here and saying you were in the wrong? That's because none of us had context in regards to why you took the day off. It looked like you just decided to extend your vacation. I wish you luck in the future.

Zoe

I’m not defending this shit but just saying that’s how it is, and it’s awful.

I can totally see them saying that OP should have dealt with all that during the previous days too.

But you really don't know if you never ask.

BTW OP didn't mention talking to the supervisor. In my previous 2 call center jobs (no longer in that shitty business thank you), I am required to speak to my direct superior when calling in for a sick day.

This situation sucks, but did you know that you were getting evicted? It's a valid reason to need the day off, but how did you spend the last three days off, then wake up and say shit, I need to call out because I'm getting evicted today? From a management pov, that sounds like you're just reaching for an excuse after the fact.

Hyun Sai

Like for the record this is everything left out of the OP:

1. OP was previously let go (or close to it?) it seems a month earlier
2. Op took 3 days off prior to asking for the 4th
3. Op only asked for the 4th on the day of.
4. Op did so because of eviction, a completely valid and understandable reason
5. But OP didn't tell their employer that fact when they called in to take the day off.

All of this context is needed to properly discuss the situation

We also need more info about the eviction coming just after the 3 days off. How does the Eviction notice work in the US ?

ZOONAMI

This situation sucks, but did you know that you were getting evicted? It's a valid reason to need the day off, but how did you spend the last three days off, then wake up and say shit, I need to call out because I'm getting evicted today? From a management pov, that sounds like you're just reaching for an excuse after the fact.

And if so there are much better excuses, like I’m sick as fuck with a stomach bug/food poisoning from eating at a place on my days off and going to the doctor today, which you could actually do and get a doctor’s note even if you are lying.

And yeah this whole thing is shady because it takes a looong fucking time to get evicted, at least legally. If a landlord tells you they are evicting you you don’t just listen to them and move out. It takes fucking months. You tell them fuck you, I’m taking this to the city for inspections on the property and to court, and putting my rent in escrow until this is resolved. You don’t just go ok, I’ll move out ASAP.

As soon as you tell a landlord that shit they will back the fuck off.

I don’t know this from anything other than studying property law for a couple semesters, and telling a landlord that I would put my rent in escrow for a leaky roof and would get city inspectors and having them immediately fix that shit. But yeah that escrow shit and inspectors gets things done quick with a shitty landlord.

Obviously if you haven’t been paying rent for a while though it will happen pretty quickly. The above is for situations where you are a paying tenant and there is some other issue. In MN though iirc you have like 3 months even without paying rent.

We also need more info about the eviction coming just after the 3 days off. How does the Eviction notice work in the US ?

In New York a judge approves the eviction about 1 week to 10 days beforehand, you get a paper put on your door. Marshall will break your lock, cart your shit to locker, and you have to pay the storage fee and get your shit back.

People usually empty the valuables and leave a few smelly couches to fuck with the landlord before Marshall come in.

BTW I hope OP has the eviction notice to show DOL. He probably needs that to close his utility accounts on the proper date anyway.

Top Bottom