• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefly/Serenity appreciation thread of You can't take the sky from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

After hearing people talk about this show for some time and discovering the episodes on Hulu.com, I decided to jump in and start watching. I, as alot of others it seems, fell instantly in love with it. I watched all the episodes in two days and the movie, Serenity, the day after. I was completely bummed that I had waited so long to get into the series and there there would be no more. As a way of apologizing for putting this show off for so long and me needing to talk about it while it's fresh in my head...I've decided to try and make a proper appreciation thread.

!!!WARNING!!! Wall 'o Text and lots of images incoming. !!!WARNING!!!

a48tpu.jpg

Shepherd Book said:
After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point.

After the War, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it.

A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying.

Opening Theme
Firefly - Main Title

The Ship:

Salesman said:
I'll tell you what, you buy this ship, treat her proper...and she'll be with you for the rest of your life.
"Serenity" - Firefly class ship

I really like the design of the ship. It's simple but functional and highly maneuverable. It's not over the top with technology like warp drives or energy shields or even weapons. Just gets you from point A to point B. Alot of SciFi ships are so crazy with technology that's it refreshing to see something that's simple. It's somehow more realistic...or at least as realistic as SciFi fantasy spaceships can get.

209r03m.jpg

Wikipedia descritpion

The Crew:
A great mix of archetypes that play well with each other...and against when need be. Some characters were weaker than other, but you could find something likable about each person. With a little more fleshing out and getting to see them through more and more seasons, they all would have fit nicely together in the show for a good long time. Shame we didn't get more of it.

Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds - Captain
30w77fd.jpg

Zoe Washburne - Second in Command (Wash's wife)
29oslrt.jpg

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Pilot (Zoe's husband)
x2qonn.jpg

Jayne Cobb - Mercenary
whg09f.jpg

Derrial Book - Shepherd
16kx8y1.jpg

Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye - Engineer
4r2o87.jpg

River Tam - Troubled Girl (Simon's sister)
288mdj8.jpg

Simon Tam - Doctor (River's brother)
200ydkp.jpg

Inara Serra - Companion
2it4eiw.jpg

Episodes:
We get to know the characters, their histories, and how they deal with each other. Not nearly as much as we wanted to see of course, but enough that we can put some connections together and get a feel for what they feel. Watching the crew pull jobs, fight to keep the haul and get back out. There may only be 14 episodes, but there are more than a few great moments and lines from each one.

I was a little bit shocked to find out how much I did like the series. Kind of came out of nowhere and caught me off guard. I like the ship, the characters, the stories...all of it. Unfortunately we won't get to see as much of it as we could have. Josh Whedon mentioned before that he had at least a 5 year plan for stories and he has written some of the comics. Maybe we'll someday get the chance to read a couple full-fledged novels, or possible another movie (but I doubt it), or maybe a someone will pick the show back up (I really, really doubt it). I've always been a little leery of reading "extra" things that are beyond the TV show or Movies for things. With Josh writing for the comics himself though, maybe I'll start. Give me a chance to learn more about the characters than what the show and the movie gives us.

Below you'll find a set of links to Hulu.com and each full episode. You can click and watch if you are in in the states. If you are outside of the U.S., you can try http://www.hotspotshield.com/ to mask your identity and view the videos. And now, without further ado, the episode list:

===== Episode 1: Serenity (Original Pilot)

Mal: I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse can stop Kaylee from being cheerful. Sometimes you just wanna duct-tape her mouth, and… dump 'er in the hold for a month.

===== Episode 2: The Train Job

Jayne: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here!

-----

[A tied-up Crow is made to kneel outside Serenity as it prepares to lift off]
Mal:
Now this is all the money Niska gave us in advance. You give it back to him, tell him the job didn't work out. We're not thieves -- well, we are thieves, but the point is we're not taking what's his. We'll stay out of his way as best we can from here on in. You'll explain that's best for everyone, okay?
Crow: [stands up] Keep the money. Use it to buy a funeral. It doesn't matter where you go, or how far you fly -- I will hunt you down, and the last thing you see will be my blade.
Mal: Darn. [kicks Crow into Serenity's engine intake]
[Cut to another henchman being placed before Mal]
Mal:
Now this is all the money Niska gave us in advance--
Henchman: Oh, I get it! I'm good. Best thing for everybody. I'm right there with you.

===== Episode 3: Bushwacked

Jayne: Cap'n and Zoe are going in first, we'll holler if we need you... something wrong?
Simon: Uh... no, I suppose it's just the thought of a little mylar and glass being the only thing separating a person from... nothing.
Jayne: It's impressive what nothing can do to a man.

===== Episode 4: Shindig

Zoe: Planet's coming up a mite fast.
Wash: That's just 'cause- I'm going down too quick. Likely crash and kill us all.
[As the ship begins to shake, Mal calmly leaves.]
Mal:
Well, if that happens, let me know.

-----

Mal: And I never back down from a fight.
Inara: Yes, you do! You do all the time!
Mal: Well.... yeah, but I'm not backing down from this one!

-----

[Mal refuses to kill the prone, humiliated Atherton.]
Sir Warrick:
You have to finish it, lad. [Mal doesn't move] You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten, yet breathing? It makes him a coward.
Inara: It's humiliation.
Mal: It would be humiliating, having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man.
[He lightly stabs Atherton.]
Mal:
Guess I'm just a good man.
[He stabs Atheron again.]
Mal:
Well, I'm all right.

===== Episode 5: Safe

Book: [Referring to himself being shot] That's… that's quite a lot of blood, isn't it?
Mal: Just means you ain't dead.
Book: 'Fraid I might be needing a preacher.
Mal: That's good. You just lie there and be ironical.

-----

Zoe: Cap'n'll come up with a plan.
Kaylee: Well, that's good. Right?
Zoe: Possible you're not recalling some of his previous plans.

===== Episode 6: Our Mrs. Reynolds

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

-----

Mal: I would appreciate it if one person on this boat would not assume I'm an evil, lecherous hump.
Zoe: No one's saying that, sir.
Wash: Yeah, we're pretty much just giving each other significant glances and laughing incessantly.

-----

[Jayne menacingly approaches Mal with a huge weapon.]
Jayne: Six men came to kill me one time. The best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger. Double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun.
[He hands it to Mal.]
Mal:
Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la doo-tze… Are you offering me a trade?
Jayne: A trade? Hell, that's theft! This is the best damn gun made by man. It has extreme sentimental value. It's miles more worthy'n what you got.
Mal: What I got? She has a name!
Jayne: So does this! [caresses the gun lovingly] I call it Vera.

===== Episode 7: Jaynestown

[Simon and Kaylee, both drunk, chat during the town's toasting of its hero, Jayne.]
Simon:
I— I reattached a girl's leg. Her whole leg. She named her hamster after me. I got a hamster. He drops a box of money, he gets a town.
Kaylee: Hamsters is nice.
Simon: To Jayne! The box-dropping, man-ape-gone-wrong-thing.

===== Episode 8: Out of Gas

Zoe: Sir... you paid money for this? On purpose?
Mal: Ship like this, be with you till the day you die.
Zoe: Because it's a death trap.
Mal: Try to see past what she is, and on to what she can be.
Zoe: What's that, sir?
Mal: Freedom, is what.
Zoe: [pointing] I meant, what's that?
Mal: Oh. Yeah, just step around that. I think something must've been living in here.

-----

[Ship is adrift in space]
Wash:
What do you expect me to do, Mal?
Mal: Whatever you have to! And if you can't do it from here, then get a suit on and go outside on the side of the boat—
Wash: And what?! Wave my arms around?
Mal: Wave your arms around, jump up and down, divert the navsats to the transmitter… whatever.
Wash: Divert the— Right! Because teenage pranks are fun when you're about to die!
Mal: It'd give the beacon a boost, wouldn't it?
Wash: Yes! It would boost the signal. But even if some passerby did happen to receive, all it would do is muck up their navigation!
Mal: Could be that's true.
Wash: Damn right it's true! They'd be forced to stop and dig out our signal before they could even go anyplace.
[Mal stares at Wash. Wash stares back, realization dawning and still shouts:]
Wash:
Well, maybe I should do that then!

===== Episode 9: Ariel

Simon: If I didn't know better, I'd say you're ready to save some lives!
Mal: Now all we need are a couple o' patients.
Simon: Corpses, actually. For this to work, River and I will have to be dead.
Jayne: Huh. I'm starting to like this plan.

===== Episode 10: War Stories

Zoe: Niska has his own code, twisted as it may be. Very excited about reputation. He'll see reason.
Inara: Reason? He's a gangster. The money he paid you for that other job was already returned to him.
Jayne: Could be he's harboring some resentment at us for putting his man through our engine.

-----

[Book pulls out a rifle.]
Book:
This should do.
Zoe: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

-----

Mal: So. I hear you all took up arms in that little piece of action back there. How you farin' with that, Doctor?
Simon: I don't know. I, uh, I never shot anyone before.
Book: I was there, son. I'm fair sure you still haven't shot anyone yet.

===== Episode 11: Trash

[Inara cannot find work because Mal is avoiding central planets]
Inara:
Right, you're a criminal mastermind! What was the last cargo we snuck past the Alliance to transport?
Mal: That was a little dif—
Inara: What was the cargo?
Mal: [pauses, embarrassed] They were dolls.
Inara: They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled!
Mal: Hey! People love those!

-----

Inara: Well, since I can't seem to find work as Companion, I might as well become a petty thief like you!
[An uncomfortable silence descends for a moment.]
Mal:
Petty?
Inara: I didn't mean petty.
Mal: What did you mean?
Inara: Suo-SHEE?
Mal: ...That's Chinese for "petty".

===== Episode 12: The Message

Zoe:[/] First rule of battle, little one… don't ever let them know where you are.
[Cut to Mal, firing behind himself as he runs toward the two.]
Mal:
WHOO-HOO! I'M RIGHT HERE! I'M RIGHT HERE! YOU WANT SOME O' ME?! YEAH YOU DO! COME ON! COME ON! AAAAAH!
[He lands with a grunt behind some nearby rocks.]
Mal:
Whoo-hoo!
Zoe: Course, there're other schools of thought.

-----

Mal: They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself.

===== Episode 13: Heart of Gold

Inara: It sounds like something this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but…
Nandi: If they got guns and brains at all.
Inara: They've got guns…

-----

Jayne: Don't much see the benefit in getting involved in strangers' troubles without a up-front price negotiated.
Book: These people need assistance. The benefit wouldn't necessarily be for you.
Jayne: That's what I'm sayin'.
Zoe: No one's gonna force you to go, Jayne. As has been stated, this job is strictly speculative.
Jayne: Good! Don't know these folks, don't much care to.
Mal: They're whores.
Jayne: I'm in.

-----

Mal: I'll introduce you to the rest later. They're good folk.
Jayne: Can I start getting sexed already?
Mal: Well, that one's kinda horrific.

-----

Kaylee: Everyone's got somebody. Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause you're pretty.

===== Episode 14: Objects in Space

[A bounty hunter named Jubal Early has snuck aboard the ship]
Early: [looks at engine with double meaning.]
That's a beating heart isn't it? Pull off any one of a thousand parts she'll just die. Such a slender thread.... [coldly] You ever been raped?
Kaylee: [almost in tears.] M-Mal.... th-the captain is right down the hall-hallway- He.... c-can.... hear you-
Early: The captain is locked in his quarters. They all are. There's nobody can help you... Say it.
Kaylee: [breathless.] There's.... there's nobody can help me.
Early: I'm gonna tie you up now-
Kaylee: [whimpers.]
Early:
And you know what-I'ma do then? I'ma give you a present. Get rid of a problem you've got. And I won't touch you in any wrong fashion, nor hurt you at all, unless you make some kind of ruckus. You throw a monkey wrench into my deal'ins in any way, your body is forfeit. Ain't nothing but a body to me and I can find all unseemly manner of use for it. Do you understand?

-----

Early: You know, with the exception of one deadly and unpredictable midget, this girl is the smallest cargo I've ever had to transport, yet by far the most troublesome. Does that seem right to you?
Simon: What'd he do?
Early: Who?
Simon: The midget.
Early: Arson. The little man loved fire.

25umtxy.jpg

Movie:
Alot of the enigma that is River gets untied in this film, which is a good thing. Although there are some mysteries of the crew we would've liked to have seen unraveled, River was by far the biggest question mark. We also find out about the Reavers history and why they are how they are.

An especially awesome assassin, large space battle, more details about the crew...this movie helps to tie up a few loose ends and gives at least some kind of closure for the story.

===== Trailer

Quote from the Trailer:

The Operative: This is your fault.
Mal: I don't murder children...
The Operative: I do.

-----

Quotes from the Movie:

Zoe: [after breaking into a practically empty bank safe]
Zoe: At last, we can retire and give up this life of crime.

-----

The Operative: I already know you will not see reason.
Mal: The Alliance wanted to show me reason, they shouldn't have sent an assassin.
The Operative: I have a warship in deep orbit, Captain. We locked onto Serenity's pulse beacon the moment you hit atmo. I can speak a word and send a missile to that exact location inside of three minutes.
Mal: You do that, you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy lord.
[Mal tosses mechanism at the Operative]
The Operative: [catching the mechanism]
Pulse beacon.

-----

Inara: Mal, what are you doing here?
Mal: You invited me.
Inara: I never thought for a second you'd be stupid enough to come!
Capt. Mal: Well that makes you a tease.

-----

The Operative: I want to resolve this like civilized men. I'm not threatening you. I'm unarmed.
Mal: Good.
[pulls gun and shoots Operative in the chest, knocking him into the wall, grabs Inara and gets ready to leave]
The Operative: [grabs Mal from behind]
I am, however, wearing full body armor. I am not a moron!

-----

Kaylee: Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!
Mal: Oh, God! I can't *know* that!
Jayne Cobb: I could stand to hear a little more.

===== ===== =====

Well, that's it for me. Give us your favorite parts or what you thought of the show/movie in general.

jvalioli

Well this puts my lttp thread to shame. Anyway, I need this on Blu ray asap. It's my favorite US Tv series of all time

Weenerz

Banned
I miss this show =( Too bad the BR release coming soon is so expensive. The box set at least, not sure about the movie by itself.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I thought Firefly was pretty OK... certainly worth the $20 I paid for the box set. But it's been EXTREMELY overrated by the browncoats.

1) The world is interesting.
2) The characters are interesting, likable, and fairly well-drawn without all falling into shipboard stereotypes.

The problem is that the actual storylines accompanying these characters in this world are a little lackluster. It's like, despite a good premise and good characters, those pieces only came together to make great television about 50% of the time.

It's still good, but jesus christ its time for fans to let it go. It wasn't THAT good.

Is the show required viewing to enjoy the movie? I rented Serenity this week and was absolutely baffled at how it's so popular. :( It wasn't bad, but just seemed like generic sci-fi.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hooded pitohui said:
Is the show required viewing to enjoy the movie? I rented Serenity this week and was absolutely baffled at how it's so popular. :( It wasn't bad, but just seemed like generic sci-fi.

I hadn't even heard of firefly before I watched Serenity, but I enjoyed it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
hooded pitohui said:
are you crazy?

10 hours of learning about and falling in love with characters personalities and actions is definitely needed before watching the 2 hour the movie that
kills off some of them.
you don't go into the movie loving anything.

it's like the cowboy bebop movie and the series. would you enjoy it as much if you never grown to love spike?

Every time I see or hear about Firefly I die a little bit more inside...it's got such an amazing premise and perfect cast, it had SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

There are countless of things they still haven't touched on such as
Book's past ties to the alliance, the history of the Tam's being more flushed out, actually seeing more of the alliance and their oppression, the reavers(although we got to see a condensed version of that in Serenity), and not least...more Saffron! :D

I CAN'T BELIEVE it was canceled... :(

sebmarine

Some Firefly love from Belgium. Nobody knows this show here (was never aired) and if it weren't for GAF I would've never seen this great show. Yeah some episodes were less phenomenal than others, but still I can't remember one BAD episode.

Fuck the assholes who boycotted and canceled the show.

Askani

GDJustin said:
I thought Firefly was pretty OK... certainly worth the $20 I paid for the box set. But it's been EXTREMELY overrated by the browncoats.

1) The world is interesting.
2) The characters are interesting, likable, and fairly well-drawn without all falling into shipboard stereotypes.

The problem is that the actual storylines accompanying these characters in this world are a little lackluster. It's like, despite a good premise and good characters, those pieces only came together to make great television about 50% of the time.

It's still good, but jesus christ its time for fans to let it go. It wasn't THAT good.

I actually kind agree somewhat, although I would put the "great television" percentage about 80% to 85%.

I can't really explain it. I just remember watching ST: TNG as it aired. The whole first season I had this nagging feeling of, "Man...I just don't know about this show." Same with B5, same with ST: DS9...etc. I was glad I was proved wrong with those, but I never got that feeling with Firefly for some reason.

The hope of so much potential is what makes it so hard to let go of I guess.

hooded pitohui said:

As DeathNote said...I would say yes. It does a better job of standing on it's own that some movies from series films, but in my opinion it's like watching Return of the Jedi without seeing Star Wars or Empire first. 15 hours of getting to know characters on the show really help you watch Serenity. River is the biggest mystery on the show and they really tell you nothing about her. I think if you watch the show and then rewatch the movie you'll have more appreciation for some things.

Thunder Monkey said:
Thank you for this thread and allowing me to see past episode 9.

I will be forever in your debt.

That makes the whole thread worth it then. :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
sebmarine said:
Fuck the assholes who boycotted and canceled the show.
Boycott? If you ask me, the main reason the show died is because FOX is staffed with morons who ran the show out of order and did a horrible job of promoting it.

impirius

Rentahamster said:
Boycott? If you ask me, the main reason the show died is because FOX is staffed with morons who ran the show out of order and did a horrible job of promoting it.
I never saw the show on TV, but after watching the DVDs a couple of times, I can't imagine why they ran the episodes out of order. The first episode is a great setup to the series.

Awesome show, I have been meaning to get Serenity.

Though, whenever it is placed as one of the best sci-fi shows, I have to disagree. It only ran for 14 episodes and the last 3-4 or so were mediocre at best.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Rentahamster said:

Ehh, I really don't think that would've helped that much, the show probably still would've been canned.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Great show, ended waaaayyyy too soon. But damn, what a horrible opening song.

Askani

Teh Hamburglar said:
she just shuttled around the ship saying nonesense. She basically was a human plot device.

Thats a symptom of getting cancelled early. Give her more time on the show and you would have been able to see her develop. With the movie they cleared up why she was like which made her alot better character in my eyes. I didn't care for her too much in the series but after the movie my opinion of her has changed.

Askani said:
Thats a symptom of getting cancelled early. Give her more time on the show and you would have been able to see her develop. With the movie they cleared up why she was like which made her alot better character in my eyes. I didn't care for her too much in the series but after the movie my opinion of her has changed.

thats still not a good character. A character should stand on their own and not need an entire season to make them compelling.

Askani

Teh Hamburglar said:
thats still not a good character. A character should stand on their own and not need an entire season to make them compelling.

Different strokes I suppose. She was a slow starter in the show yeah, but I was interested in her by episode 9 when they were analyzing her brain scan. And then in the next episode where she shot the three guy with her eyes closed after she memorized thier positions.

The movie obviously opened up alot more for her. Would have been awesome to see her as part of the crew...just more normal and ass-kickish.

Is ass-kickish a word? Well it is now.

Cipherr

Teh Hamburglar said:

Show didn't even last an entire season. What the man said was right. There wasn't enough time to develop a complicated character like River considering the story they had written for her. After seeing the movie and seeing their aim for her character, I would love for you to explain how they should have handled her better. And don't forget to account for them NOT KNOWING they were gonna get canceled a few episodes in. They were moving at a good pace with her character, but where theres only a hand full of episodes, there just wasn't enough time to add an insane amount of depth to anything really.

And just because she acted a bit "crazy" on the ship doesn't mean they failed with her character. Being a little off was a part of the design for the character. Again, that was pointed out both in the show and even more so in the movie.

Azar

Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, and Morena Baccarin are going to be at Dragon-con next weekend. I'm pumped.

I'd go into gushing detail about how much I love the show, but I really cba. Suffice it to say Firefly was fucking great and deserved a longer run, and Serenity is one of the best sci-fi films of at least the past decade.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Best fucking show ever.

I for one love character driven anything, and Firefly's cast was the greatest. Tight, funny, natural, deep, human. The most believable and welcoming and enjoyable cast of characters I've ever seen. They all had their roles, on the ship and as characters, yet they always had more to them.

Fuck now I miss it, and I just rewatched it last month.

Can't wait for the Blu-ray. Been a while since I watched the series. I saw Out of Gas on Universal HD and that last shot of the ship in HD...so awesome.

Askani

Azar said:
Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, and Morena Baccarin are going to be at Dragon-con next weekend. I'm pumped.

I'd go into gushing detail about how much I love the show, but I really cba. Suffice it to say Firefly was fucking great and deserved a longer run, and Serenity is one of the best sci-fi films of at least the past decade.

You will get cast photos of them and have all of them sign theirs. You will then take special care in packaging them together and you will mail the package to me. I'm sorry, you really have no choice in the matter...but your efforts will be appreciated.

PLEASE!!!
:lol

My6cats

Banned
I could never get into the show of Firefly , but I loved the movie, Serentiy. I think Dark Horse has an upcoming Serenity comic coming up. It could be as good as the current Buffy Season 8 comic. I do adore the Buffyverse myself, and that includes Angel.

Damn...

I need to get this show on DVD and curse Fox for screwing it.

The movie was pretty good, the show had worse CG, but I think is all around better.

Fuck you Fox!

Thanks again for the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom