• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 25 minutes of Skyrim

Smash88

Banned
Spokker said:
I agree with everything you said but I'll still play it for 100 hours as I did Oblivion, which has copy/paste dungeons and landscape and hyped AI that was complete lies. We have no shame and we know it.

okay-face.jpg

ss_lemonade

Smash88 said:
I'm sorry but this game looks like we stepped back 4 years and just came full circle with the whole thing.

Combat looks uninspired and something new, the land/areas/towns look the same as Oblivion.

It honestly looks like they rehashed most of their assets and then packaged it into a new game and added Dragons™.
It always looked like oblivion to me. Heck I don't know, but the old old oblivion videos with real time shadows/lighting seemed to look more impressive to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The PC version better have an option for higher resolution shadows. That shit looks horrendous.

Seventh

Does anyone know if you'll be able to disable that blood splattering on the camera effect? Just from watching a little bit of the video, I can already tell I'm going to find it distracting.

Or, if it's not togglable, you should be able to mod it out on the PC, right?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Darryl said:
oh god that river looks gorgeous

That water looks fake as fuck

The way it's moving, look at it again, just flowing down like a snake, nothing dynamic about it

Doesn't help the guy has uploaded it 360p with the brightness level set to only nocturnals can see

Why do they keep using this engine it's hideous.

Why not build a new next gen game engine with pc as the lead console and then have a future proof engine for future consoles.

Valnen

Yoshichan said:
People spent over 100 hours with Oblivion and that game was mediocre, at best. Skyrim seems to improve upon every single aspect of its predecessor so it's only given that people are hyped for this; including myself.
I only played Oblivion for awhile because I was convinced I was just doing it wrong if I didn't find it fun, so I kept playing.

Never did find it fun, even after using up most of the built in content sans expansions. Didn't bother modding because if a game isn't fun without mods it's not going to be fun with mods.

NBtoaster

It doesn't look any different from the videos Bethesda have released. People who were hyped for this shouldn't be losing any.

Smash88

Banned
gibon3z said:
Why do they keep using this engine it's hideous.

Why not build a new next gen game engine with pc as the lead console and then have a future proof engine for future consoles.

Hahaha, I'm sorry.

Don't worry they'll blame it on piracy, and say that consoles offer a more secure option.

Piggus

Second part was quite a bit better than the first IMO. It's not like the first part of Oblivion is all that great either.

Smash88 said:
Hahaha, I'm sorry.

Don't worry they'll blame it on piracy, and say that consoles offer a more secure option.

Aren't their games steamworks tittles ? I was under the impression that Steamworks games are free of piracy. I though you had to authenticate the game and have steam running for the games to work.

So...
you start out the game in captivity, only to be freed and escape through a ruined underground passageway.

where have I seen this before...?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was trying to stay in the dark, but I went ahead and watched. It was pretty bad. The combat looks as crap as ever. I won't pre-judge the whole game based on this footage, but it doesn't exactly get me excited.

Smash88

Banned
gibon3z said:
Aren't their games steamworks tittles ? I was under the impression that Steamworks games are free of piracy. I though you had to authenticate the game and have steam running for the games to work.

The game can still be extracted and pirated even if it is a only steam game.

EDIT: Gotta say the plastic looking water is top "NOTCH"

Sorry had to.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Valnen said:
Never did find it fun, even after using up most of the built in content sans expansions. Didn't bother modding because if a game isn't fun without mods it's not going to be fun with mods.
Some hardcore mod-people would disagree with you here... but yeah you've definitely given Oblivion a chance. Elder Scrolls is simply put not for you.

Spokker

Big Ass Ramp said:
run those through crappy youtube rendering and you get the idea
Actually, the effect of putting a video on YouTube and watching it in a tiny box can make the game look better by smoothing out aliasing and hiding low fidelity textures. It happened with Battlefield 3 on consoles. In fact, people thought that some of those cutscenes were in-game rather than video, probably because YouTube hid the fact that it was in fact just a video.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
ok the battle system is bumming me out. you are still shuffling your sword across the enemy until they die

I'll maybe play this after a steam sale a year from now. My total playtime will likely not exceed the 20 minutes I gave oblivion.

I'll go in for the dark brotherhood and other guild quest lines.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GraveRobberX said:
Looks like that guy you posted about, that did those MODS fro Oblivion, will be doing WORK on this

The Elder Scrolls: New Vvardenfell, coming soon from Obsidian Entertainment.

Ilive1up

this has to be an older build or something because all the videos i have seen (and it's been 360 video) has been pretty stellar.

Ilive1up said:
this has to be an older build or something because all the videos i have seen (and it's been 360 video) has been pretty stellar.

I am pretty sure the game gets better as you play and remember this is not HD quality. the demos they show in shows is usually in the middle of the game exploring the land, examples of dragon and other combat and some conversation.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ilive1up said:

This is presumably a review copy, which would also presumably be the gold version since they just went out a couple days ago, two weeks ahead of release.

geeko420 said:
Didn't click.

(Blackout mode initiated)

This.

I'm ALMOST tempted to watch them though, to see what GAF is crying over.

But this is Neogaf, so I'll just ignore the haters!

Skyrim WILL be amazing!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ZombieSupaStar said:
think of oblivion TRYING to be more like Dark Messiah, and not quite hitting it.

To me, it just looked the same as Oblivion's combat, but with some awesome finishing moves mixed in.

-Yeti said:
This.

I'm ALMOST tempted to watch them though, to see what GAF is crying over.

But this is Neogaf, so I'll just ignore the haters!

Skyrim WILL be amazing!

I'm not crying. I'm not a hater. But I watched the footage, and it was poor. It is possible to fall somewhere between two polar opposites.

Top Bottom