• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 25 minutes of Skyrim

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Snuggler said:
To me, it just looked the same as Oblivion's combat, but with some awesome finishing moves mixed in.

So Oblivion with Deadly Reflex installed, then ;b

KorrZ

Shit, I cracked. Ended up watching the second video only, and skipped around it a bit so I didn't see the whole thing. I definitely agree that the voice acting is poor. Everything else though? Hell no! Game still looks fucking fantastic, and if anything I'm more hyped now. Looks like an improved in every aspect Oblivion.

sephi22

LMAO

"Brother. Sorry we couldn't save you"
"Yo new guy, take my dead comrade's gear"
*Loots guy leaving just his dead body in underpants*

I love this game already. Oblivion vibes returning. :D :D :D

jediyoshi

Mastperf said:
Because it's a low resolution video of what will likely be one of the least impressive parts of the game. We've already seen great looking HD videos.
Wasn't aware video quality was mutually exclusive with asset quality.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
EviLore said:
So Oblivion with Deadly Reflex installed, then ;b

Just googled deadly reflex

Yeah, but it's the Lite version

None of the crazy details the mod creator created for it

It's like the T version to the M rated version for PC

Almost like Fallout crit hit, and you go into 2-3 seconds slo-mo strike

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Urgh... should I cancel my pre-order, don't even know if I can (Steam, never tried before). I hope the rest of the game is a lot better than these first 25 minutes.

The videos are ridiculously low-res so hopefully that's part of it. But I don't understand why they can't get characters (humans especially I guess) to look good.

I've seen other videos that look a lot more fun. Really not sure what to think of this.

NBtoaster

Remember that it's not showing combat with two hands, dragon shouts or the magic system, all of which are different from Oblivion.

jabuseika

Still in Blackout mode, but I'll just respond to the comments.

I didn't like Oblivion, and never finished the main quest.

Yet I played Oblivion for what, 300+ hours?

If this is even a little bit better, I'll be satisfied. Why? because there are no other games like it.

If this comes anywhere close to Morrowind, I'll probably lose half a year of my life to this game. >_>

My expectations are still very low, considering Bethesda Studios+Publisher latest offerings.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GraveRobberX said:
Just googled deadly reflex

Yeah, but it's the Lite version

None of the crazy details the mod creator created for it

It's like the T version to the M rated version for PC

I guess Deadly Reflex has the edge, too, because the finishing moves are skill-based. For example, you get a brief slow motion interval that triggers when they're at low health where you can perform a decapitation or amputation or what have you, if you line up your swing correctly in real-time. Vastly prefer that over a randomly triggered cutscene, if that's how it plays out in Skyrim.

Of course, we can probably get all that for Skyrim too eventually ;b

Majanew

Banned
Spokker said:
Actually, the effect of putting a video on YouTube and watching it in a tiny box can make the game look better by smoothing out aliasing and hiding low fidelity textures. It happened with Battlefield 3 on consoles. In fact, people thought that some of those cutscenes were in-game rather than video, probably because YouTube hid the fact that it was in fact just a video.
Yeah, if it wasn't a highly compressed video. The 360p YouTube vid wasn't just 360p, it was a heavily compressed piece of shit.

Spokeys

It's very jarring to see enemies completely nonreactive to hits and blows. I seem to remember in Oblivion they at least flinched a few times. In this gameplay, there is no body language from the enemy in combat aside from them rushing you and trading blows until they oddly ragdoll.

sephi22

People don't like this footage? I..don't...understand why.
If you watch past 5 minutes you'll see that the characters are a huge improvement over Oblivion.

Spokker

Majanew said:
Yeah, if it wasn't a highly compressed video. The 360p YouTube vid wasn't just 360p, it was a heavily compressed piece of shit.
I'm watching the Kotaku video which is much higher quality.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still wondering if Oblivion had the same "this is going to be good, guys, trust me!" posts prior to its release.

ajf009

-Yeti said:
This.

I'm ALMOST tempted to watch them though, to see what GAF is crying over.

But this is Neogaf, so I'll just ignore the haters!

Skyrim WILL be amazing!

believe my brother!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Spokeys said:
It's very jarring to see enemies completely nonreactive to hits and blows. I seem to remember in Oblivion they at least flinched a few times. In this gameplay, there is no body language from the enemy in combat aside from them rushing you and trading blows until they oddly ragdoll.

This is what I took away as well. Was very odd. It has been years since I played Oblivion (didn't much care for it), but is there a consequence to just swinging and hacking or can you just do that until the enemy falls? No endurance bar or anything? Seemed weird.

sephi22

Ookami-kun said:
I'm still wondering if Oblivion had the same "this is going to be good, guys, trust me!" posts prior to its release.
Was Oblivion badly received on GAF? I wasn't a Gaffer back then and I loved Oblivion. It was my first EA game though, maybe that's where the fault lies.

GraveRobberX

NBtoaster said:
Remember that it's not showing combat with two hands, dragon shouts or the magic system, all of which are different from Oblivion.

OK, but can they make the first 25 minutes more invigorating

I was like hmmm... running away, underground, escape... where have I played/seen this before

This wasn't even tutorial based to a point, it was just here's an axe, go play.... wait, first follow this script based play, till we feel you are ready

Majanew

Banned
Spokker said:
I'm watching the Kotaku video which is much higher quality.
Yeah, I just glanced it...much better. Only skipped around to see parts of it since I don't want it all spoiled. It looks to have the oh so lovely screen-tear but I don't care. I'll lose many hours in this world.

sp3000

The game will suck on release, I have little doubt of that. Oblivion did also.

The mod community is the only reason I was able to play for hours on end and not get bored. Thank goodness for them because Bethesda can never be trusted to make a good game.

JoeFenix

This looks absolutely horrible, really don't understand how people can be so excited for such a janky and bland looking game.

Why these games are popular is such a mystery to me!

Mastperf

jediyoshi said:
Wasn't aware video quality was mutually exclusive with asset quality.
Kinda hard to get an idea of asset quality with a shitty video. Keep acting like they haven't released HD videos though.

Boss Doggie

sephi22 said:
Was Oblivion badly received on GAF? I wasn't a Gaffer back then and I loved Oblivion. It was my first EA game though, maybe that's where the fault lies.

Not saying Oblivion isn't addictive or something, but a lot of its praise where rather false or undeserving. Remember when Radiant AI was apparently amazing?

sephi22

sp3000 said:
The game will suck on release, I have little doubt of that. Oblivion did also.

The mod community is the only reason I was able to play for hours on end and not get bored. Thank goodness for them because Bethesda can never be trusted to make a good game.
JoeFenix said:
This looks absolutely horrible, really don't understand how people can be so excited for such a janky and bland looking game.

Why these games are popular is such a mystery to me!
my-mind-is-full-of-fuck_176822.jpg

GraveRobberX

I'm not saying lolSkyrim or trolling for trolling sakes

Hope you enjoy it for w/e you will get it, I will too (PS3 down the line), I think PC will have the best version possible, due to the modding community

Some of these things can be fixed, but as goes with console version, will Bethesda want to invest in it

I think first patch will be to fix all those bugs/glitches that someone found out to get your character to max ASAP LOL

sephi22

Ookami-kun said:
Not saying Oblivion isn't addictive or something, but a lot of its praise where rather false or undeserving. Remember when Radiant AI was apparently amazing?
I don't know what Radiant AI is. All I remember is that I made a mage and I became an assassin and I joined the necromancers and I blasphemed by joining the mages while being a necromancer and I made my own spells and I walked on water and I never used a lockpick and I cheesed the arena with magic and I killed a guy by dropping a decoration on his head and I used to wait outside someone's house till nighttime, sneak in, and steal the women's clothes and I sneaked into all the castles and stole all the keys from sleeping kings and I put all those keys in a display case in my house and I didn't play the main quest and not a fuck was given that day.

Best $60 I ever spent.

lmao at the end.

"i refer to this bear as 'her' because i'm one with nature, so you should sneak by 'her,' but here's this bow, now kill it"

Twinduct

So what's on the 0 Day mod list?

-
Companion equipment selection.
-
Companion fighting stance selection.
-
Anime inspired
Tits
and eyes?
-
Horse armor?

I know the following be made soon...ish:

-Higher Res textures.
-More lower LOD models/ sprites for shit in the distance.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I'm gonna repeat what I said in the other Skyrim thread:

I don't give a rat's ass about Skyrim's ending. Honestly, I don't. I played Morowind and Oblivion over 150 hours each - not once did I reach the "endings" of either one. I doubt I even got halfway through the main quest of Oblivion. It was around the time I was closing my 5th Oblivion gate to convince the other cities to send aid to Bruma that I said fuck it, I'm going back to playing my way.

That's what makes the Elder Scrolls games for me. Bethesda doesn't design the game around stories, or quests, or animations, or even combat - they design it around the world. It's an environment optimized for freedom of choice. I can lose myself in the wilderness of Oblivion, just searching for ingredients for a potion. Or I can lose myself in being an unfaltering psychopath, sneaking into the cities at night to murder civilians in their sleep. It's the ability to do what I want within the context of the game world that makes me love the Elder Scrolls. That's why Morrowind's "intro" remains my favorite. There isn't really an intro at all. One quick pass through the immigration office and you're set free, blinking in astonishment at the near endless landscape in front of you. The sense of freedom in that game is staggering. There is no heavy-handed story to be introduced to, no ridiculous series of tutorial caverns to be shepherded through, no abundance of shitty scripted sequences to sit through. It's just you, alone, surrounded by an unfamiliar world, with only your wits to guide you.

But this is where my point is: Even though it did have all of those things, Oblivion's intro was so ridiculously inconsequential, it didn't matter at all. 10 minutes after leaving the sewers, you've forgotten all about the king and the amulet and the shitty main quest. Elder Scrolls games are unique in that both the beginning and ending are virtually useless. They're bookends, and I'm convinced they exist at all only because the pervasive tradition of video games demands they do.

So yeah, I'm a little bummed about Skyrim's introduction. Not because of the story, or the voice acting, or the scripting, or the animations, but because any real effort that was put into it was absolutely wasted on a near-useless sequence that I will not care about to begin with and will immediately forget afterwards.

JoeFenix

sephi22 said:
I don't know what Radiant AI is. All I remember is that I made a mage and I became an assassin and I joined the necromancers and I blasphemed by joining the mages while being a necromancer and I made my own spells and I walked on water and I never used a lockpick and I cheesed the arena with magic and I killed a guy by dropping a decoration on his head and I used to wait outside someone's house till nighttime, sneak in, and steal the women's clothes and I sneaked into all the castles and stole all the keys from sleeping kings and I put all those keys in a display case in my house and I didn't play the main quest and not a fuck was given that day.

Best $60 I ever spent.

That sounds soooooo cool!

Grinchy

Banned
There's no doubt that I'm buying this game, but I really was hoping for a bigger improvement in the combat mechanics. Maybe I just need to play it for myself, but it didn't look very thrilling in the video. It looked just like Oblivion. Maybe deep down I was expecting Demon's Souls in first person or something, but it just looked a bit basic.

Boss Doggie

sephi22 said:

Best $60 I ever spent.

So essentially a standard experience then.

I'd say something about upping it but nevermind. :p

sephi22

Ookami-kun said:
So essentially a standard experience then.

I'd say something about upping it but nevermind. :p
I'd say something about the first 25 minutes not being indicative of the amount of crazy distracting shit in the world but nevermind.

Oblivion felt pretty dull fighting rats in sewers. But when I saw the world, I shat bricks.

Y'know I was really hyped for skyrim, but, now I'm really not hyped at all. I defended this game thick and thin, I genuinely believed it would be different then Oblivion. *sigh* Those 25 minutes really made me disappointed enough to seriously reconsider my preorder.

NBtoaster

GraveRobberX said:
OK, but can they make the first 25 minutes more invigorating

I was like hmmm... running away, underground, escape... where have I played/seen this before

This wasn't even tutorial based to a point, it was just here's an axe, go play.... wait, first follow this script based play, till we feel you are ready

The only similarity with oblivions tutorial is that its an escape that involves a cave. Everything else is delivered differently.

-you start outdoors for the first time in an ES game
-you have an npc with you delivering tips, instead of text
-the cave is not static, there are cave ins and rumbles that you never had anywhere in Oblivion
-seemingly no magic tutorial yet
-a much more faster paced opening sequence (the dragon)

Also the kotaku video looks like it's still 4:3 being stretched horribly.

I know it's not perfect, and you can probably make it look silly if you don't follow the sense of urgency.

Boss Doggie

sephi22 said:
I'd say something about the first 25 minutes not being indicative of the amount of crazy distracting shit in the world but nevermind.

Oblivion felt pretty dull fighting rats in sewers. But when I saw the world, I shat bricks.

And like I said, I'd say something about upping the experience, but I already know the replies once I say that so I'd rather not :p

Top Bottom