• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 40 minutes of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

ironcreed

Banned
It does but it's a game mechanic meant to be activated via the player. I've played so many games, it's something as silly as the argument about Nathan Drake being a mass murdered. Lol

I suppose so, when you put it like that. I just could not help but to think of seeing some guy doing that out in public and I had to laugh at first glance. But I would still like to see the series have some improved stealth mechanics. It really could stand to be improved upon.

bes.gen

not feeling it.
one thing this series had going was having original locales you don't see in any other games.
i guess victorian aesthetics is used somewhat regularly over the years in games. it doesn't feel as fresh.

To be fair, I really think that the Evie sections give a better look at the game. Some of that actually looks pretty good.

I just did a cool stealth mission with Jacob in a distillery. I'm going to guess this one is going to receive higher scores then Unity. I'll eat crow otherwise lol

ironcreed

Banned
I just did a cool stealth mission with Jacob in a distillery. I'm going to guess this one is going to receive higher scores then Unity. I'll eat crow otherwise lol

I tend to gel with your opinions more than I don't, so I admit that your experience with the game has me curious.

I would love for it to, but based on what I have seen and heard from others playing...
iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

No but really, I hope it turns out good! You seem to be enjoying it quite a bit.

Aces&Eights

To be fair, my dislike for the video stems more from my frustration that I do not like the direction the series has gone over the actually quality of the game itself. Like most, AC2 was the pinnacle for me and it seems that from there it has been devolving. I can't blame the devs for making the game they want but I'm irritated that, I think, there was this potential to really make a fascinating series about Templars, modern day vs Anibus, the pieces of eden, etc and wrap up a really cool narrative after a few games that completed the whole story.

Along with that I really wanted to see new and improved game mechanics. Instead, it's always the same, clunky climbing and enemies standing in line to wait their turn to fight you.

it didn't help that Unity launch was a nightmare for me and even after the patches the game still chugged along.

The end result is a series I once thought was intriguing and fresh took a different path that I had hoped it would. I can't say "shame on them" as it is their game but I will express my disappointment in what I feel was them scraping a neat story and going for the annual COD sales crowd.

Harlequin

Dont forget the Alice games. I think thats all of them

And also the Sherlock Holmes games, I suppose. (No idea if those are more or less popular than the Alice games.) It has also been featured in other recent mainstream media, though, like Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies or Penny Dreadful.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Just skimmed the video, but it looks like more Assassin's Creed. With trains. *yawn*

They'd have to really shake up the mission structure and the nature of collectibles for me to be interested.

I tend to gel with your opinions more than I don't, so I admit that your experience with the game has me curious.

Every person I know with it personally so far is commented more postive.There is a difference in between just franchise burnout and a bad game. The line and blur between the two is hard to discern. I had no expectations for this game. That could factor into it as well. I've got another 3 or so days before I write my review so anything could happen lol

Jito

Banned
Looks as janky and automated as ever.

Those accents are terrible as well, somehow the English voice acting in Unity sounded better when they were all meant to be French...how does that work? Possibly the forced over done cockney accent is just that bad.

SliChillax

Watch Dogs in terms of gameplay and visuals felt very polished (at least on PC a year after launch), why don't they use that same engine for Assassin's Creed? They keep making AC games so janky and clunky.

Raven77

Uhhh, the scene in the foundry with 3 enemies, all wearing red coats, all looking exactly alike.

What year is this???

Sometimes I question if these games have just become a cash-in for Ubi and whether they care about this series at all anymore. At least Ubi's Far Cry is trying to do something different.

mosdl

The door was open to this with the assassin Shao Jun that Ezio trains in his later years of life, but she actually received her own game this year in the form of Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China. While that's a fun little 2.5d game on its own, it's definitely disappointing because I've wanted an Assassin's Creed game set in Eastern Asia forever and the first one they give is sorta a cop-out lol.

What ever happened to the other 2 Chronicles games? The first one was quite a lot of fun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What ever happened to the other 2 Chronicles games? The first one was quite a lot of fun.

India and Russia were slated to release before the end of the year, but given neither has surfaced thus far I assume only one will make said deadline and the other will follow in Q1 next year.

Brewmont

Banned
Wow, they somehow managed to make the combat and sneaking look even worse than the other games. I didn't know that was possible.

I mean, it looks....pretty much the same as it always has, this is not a surprise. The combat is faster, yeah, but that's a minor difference. I wish I could see these "massive" differences that everyone claims to see between games in a series. Especially when the series more or less looks and plays the same....but somehow this one's the bad one.

dex3108

I mean, it looks....pretty much the same as it always has, this is not a surprise. The combat is faster, yeah, but that's a minor difference. I wish I could see these "massive" differences that everyone claims to see between games in a series. Especially when the series more or less looks and plays the same....but somehow this one's the bad one.

On GAF every AC is same but next one is always worst then previous on. But they are same.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Watch Dogs in terms of gameplay and visuals felt very polished (at least on PC a year after launch), why don't they use that same engine for Assassin's Creed? They keep making AC games so janky and clunky.
It was extremely polished indeed even on console. A very consistent 30fps on PS4, at least, and it looks pretty decent. It has issues but I always thought it played extremely well. Far more polished than any AC game in that regard.

CHC

I don't know what it is with this game but the levels looks very... sparse. Compared to previous AC games, even, everything seems placed very far apart and just kind of bland and box-like. It could be them trying to improve performance but the levels look very empty and plain.

Basketball

I would say the best thing about this game is the release date

Couple or so weeks before fallout and tomb raider. And I got an extra 60$ ms credits.

dex3108

Anvil(Skimitar) Engine is made for AC and too many things are tied to that engine. For example as far as i remember engine automatically makes every bump larger than X centimeter climbable etc. Also devs are use to that engine and how it works. Same engine just bit modified is used for Rainbow Six Siege (i am not sure 100% about this). That is why they are using Anvil.

Also WD uses Disrupt engine that is made with some Anvil Engine and Dunia Engine (Far Cry) tech.

Eh... to be honest, it looks pretty fun to me. I'll pick it up this Friday on PS4 for some good weekend fun. Some of you are far too critical of the game. It's Assassin's Creed, and it's not known to innovate too much ever since its conception. I don't get what people were expecting here.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed IV right now, having not touched the series since Brotherhood, and the whole pirate/naval aspect of that game is a welcome and fresh addition to the series, and something I haven't really seen in any other game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SliChillax said:
why don't they use that same engine for Assassin's Creed?
Even under assumption that "better tech" exists(which is objectively much harder to quantify than most people think, when dealing with software on this scale) - costs of such tech changes inside a 1000+man pipeline are ridiculously high. And factoring in time-delays associated with them can be potentially fatal to an annualized product.

Hm does look pretty dull but, if it runs OK on ps4 I'll still get it to run around Victorian London.
Especially after loving the TV show Peaky Blinders.

Quick question guys. Is there no multiplayer in Syndicate? It just occured to me that I haven't heard a single peep about it, not even from people in comments/threads talking about it, or lack thereof. Have Ubi finally started to feel the crunch time of spitting out so many different AC games each year that they finally needed to cut out MP?

antitrop

Quick question guys. Is there no multiplayer in Syndicate? It just occured to me that I haven't heard a single peep about it, not even from people in comments/threads talking about it, or lack thereof. Have Ubi finally started to feel the crunch time of spitting out so many different AC games each year that they finally needed to cut out MP?

Maybe they looked at the Trophy stats for Black Flag.

When I was playing Unity a few weeks ago, I was shocked when I unlocked my first multiplayer Trophy pretty damn early on in the game and the completion percentage on it was super low. All I heard about during the run-up to Unity was its multiplayer, all I remember about the trailers is how much they focused on the co-op, and nobody fucking cared.

I only did one co-op mission in Unity and it was lame as fuck and I have no intention of ever doing another one, because it was so boring. Seems like I was one of the few who even tried it at all.

Unfortunately not, considering this is the third AC game since Black Flag without MP, we can declare it dead. Too bad, as it was one of my favorite MP games and hugely underrated.

Karak

not feeling it.
one thing this series had going was having original locales you don't see in any other games.
i guess victorian aesthetics is used somewhat regularly over the years in games. it doesn't feel as fresh.

I could totally see that. I can't say if it uses them well or not as I am reviewing it but the fact that its been more regularly used than possibly some of the past titles locations is a valid point for feeling a little less atmospheric interest.

Unfortunately not, considering this is the third AC game since Black Flag without MP, we can declare it dead. Too bad, as it was one of my favorite MP games and hugely underrated.

Unity had co-op though, which still counts as an MP component. What I mean is there is literally no online support for this game. The most I'm expecting at this point is a facebook game component where you have to connect online to send your guv'nar around blighty to collect fish n chips and other resources in real time days.

Brewmont

Banned
Ok guys here are two videos.
Can you handle the SWAG?

some random crap in open world

damn there's lack of weapons types in the game.
main weapons are :
Cane-sword, kukri and knuckles. There are like 25 of each, with unlocks and stuff.
But I wanter there to be rapiers, I dunno - anything else, that Unity had.

At least the game has the best handgun ever made - Colt Single Action Army :)

Your first video is private, but the second way pretty cool. I liked the jumping onto tops of carriages. Keep 'em coming!

Just skimmed the video, but it looks like more Assassin's Creed. With trains. *yawn*

They'd have to really shake up the mission structure and the nature of collectibles for me to be interested.

what the FUCK? you don't like the collectibles in AC games?? are you kidding me? you're really telling me you don't get massive jolts of excitement when you open a chest with money, walk 7 seconds and open another chest with money, walk 20 seconds and open a chest with money, walk 15 seconds and open a chest with money and then walk 30 seconds and find a chest with a bit more money?

it's so fucking good. 8 years of pure collecting bliss.

Top Bottom