• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First(?) Driver 3 Review

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=1992

DRIV3R is a fun game that doesn’t quite hit the mark in every area that it tries. It obviously has a lot in common with the GTA games, but simply doesn’t match up in a straight comparison. It succeeds better as a serious driving game, yet the cars feel a little uninspired and the experience is let down here by choppy framerate and other graphical issues. The fact that performance seems to have taken a back seat to graphical quality says it all about the game's problems, and this is echoed by the disappointing cut-scenes and poor story. DRIV3R seems to take itself a little too seriously (it even has a very dry ‘making of’ documentary), at the expense of gameplay. One last thing to mention is the music, which ranges from okay to good. At least a couple of driving tracks fit great with the mission, but otherwise the soundtrack doesn’t leave a lasting impression.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Another Driver ruined by a bad framerate? For shame.... Driver 2 was nigh unplayable at times because of that framerate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Was Driver 2 released on other consoles (besides PSone)? That game did have a terrible framerate, and it was proned to lockups as well. Ugh

Gregory said:
I predict 5million+ sales worldwide..

Their target is 11 million from what I heard

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Reflections should forget about this Driver/Stuntman crap and make a nice Beast sequel for today's consoles. Damn, I remember the days when their team used to make Amiga hardware sing, and now everything they make has choppy framerate and other huge programming issues (Stuntman anyone?)... What happened to these people? :\

Gregory

Banned
Wario64 said:
Was Driver 2 released on other consoles (besides PSone)? That game did have a terrible framerate, and it was proned to lockups as well. Ugh

lol, even I don`t have that much "trust" in the mainstream gamers. I hope I`m wrong in my prediction though and that the game is a huge flop.

It's fairly telling that EGM actually kinda knocked it in their preview cover story. Christ, previews are supposed to be positive. I even wrote a happy one for Death By Degrees, lol.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Marconelly said:
Reflections should forget about this Driver/Stuntman crap and make a nice Beast sequel for today's consoles. Damn, I remember the days when their team used to make Amiga hardware sing, and now everything they make has choppy framerate and other huge programming issues (Stuntman anyone?)... What happened to these people? :\

Whoa, whoa whoa... Stuntman if refined could be a kickass series.

Dekajelly

Marconelly said:

www.atari.com

devil_bonnel_.jpg

Wario64 said:

WTF?!

There are only 3 games that have sold that much the entire generation. GTA3, GTA: VC, and GT3 (maybe 5 if you count Pokemon Sapphire & Ruby).

Not Halo, Madden, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Enter the Matrix, MGS2, Tony Hawk, etc.

pilonv1

adrockthekid said:
It's fairly telling that EGM actually kinda knocked it in their preview cover story. Christ, previews are supposed to be positive. I even wrote a happy one for Death By Degrees, lol.

No they're not. It just seems that everyone follows convention. It's always "the camera was horrible but we were assured this would be fixed for release/hopefully this will be looked at." There are never any serious concerns raised about gameplay mechanics. Most previews these days are just basically PR.

I've always thought the Driver series was overrated. I even remember getting into a flame war because I said so at the old NGO forums.

Reflections is a good developer. They just need to get off this "Interactive Movie" game kick they have and go back to making fun games like the original Destruction Derby.

adrockthekid said:

I read that preview. It didn't seem like they were knocking it. They voiced "concerns" but it seems like every magazine does that with every preview. They do that to add some legitimacy to what would probably look like an extended advertisement.

Top Bottom