• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Fallout 4 Steam beta patch in the wild

Lanrutcon

Yeah, I'm on PC. I see that I can use the console to get my way through it but it seems that it bugs the next quest in the line anyway. Really hoping that they just fix it.

So you basically have to use commands to:

- Mark the quest as finished.
- Initiate the quest after the next one.
- Spawn a quest target.

It's messy, but it was the only way to continue.

MhkmX9h.jpg

Here you go, everything on ultra, 41FPS at 2560x1440p

I just noticed in my screenshot that my Video Card is downclocked to 540Mhz, the fuck?

LifEndz

Wow. I hope for console it's way more substantial than this. As is I'm just fortifying camps out of fear of being locked out of quests.

Maybe I got my hopes up when I anticipated a Witcher 3 sized patch.

Maybe they should focus on releasing the mod tools so the community can fix the issues faster.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have that issue too

Feeding the Troops seems to be glitched for a lot of people for sure.
Hopefully it's in one of the PC patches coming up - getting sick of telling the same farmers they should donate their crops to the cause, they must be getting sick of me by now.. lol :D

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What is this? I have a 980 and I'll notice some stuttering at times. Is that what you mean by hesitation?

I had this with a 980 too; turning shadow distance to medium and playing in borderless windowed mode fixed it for me however: you can try those if you haven't already :)

Struct09

So you basically have to use commands to:

- Mark the quest as finished.
- Initiate the quest after the next one.
- Spawn a quest target.

It's messy, but it was the only way to continue.

Do you have the info on spawning that quest target? I'm having trouble finding the specifics on that.

epmode

Lol if that's all and the glitches don't even bother me that much so far.

They better fix those fucking disgusting loading times which maket he game unplayable on everything but SSDs.
Even with a solid state drive, the PC load times are still significantly longer than New Vegas and Skyrim. Going into and out of a building was basically instantaneous in those games, now it's not.

Lanrutcon

Do you have the info on spawning that quest target? I'm having trouble finding the specifics on that.
You mean Virgil, right?

Activate the quest after Glowing Sea using the console, get to the stage where you're in his cave, then 'sqt', find the Reference Id for the quest tagged with 'mq20X' (should be mq205, look for the reference ID under it). Then 'prid xxx' where xxx is the reference ID. Then 'enable'.

If you're playing on PC and it's irritating you, you can open the console, hover over the brahmin to get its id and then type:

prid <id>
moveto player

That should clear ir.

Thanks :) Though I'm playing on PS4, and I kinda like having my house-brahmin. Something lively in a rather depressed Sanctuary.

Here you go, everything on ultra, 41FPS at 2560x1440p

I just noticed in my screenshot that my Video Card is downclocked to 540Mhz, the fuck?

Alright, now I'm not sure if that's a bug or if it's incorrect on Afterburner, but I can't get my card to go above 540Mhz according to Afterburner. I've already tweaked Nvidia Inspector to Prefer maximum performance and checked Nvidia Control Panel to make sure it matches.

Alright, now I'm not sure if that's a bug or if it's incorrect on Afterburner, but I can't get my card to go above 540Mhz according to Afterburner. I've already tweaked Nvidia Inspector to Prefer maximum performance and checked Nvidia Control Panel to make sure it matches.

What is your GPU? Jesus, I get like 26fps in that part maxed out. Even people with 980ti get 26.

Corpekata

Banned
If afterburner is reporting low hz it's usually :

1. You updated drivers recently but haven't closed Afterburner, which screws with the sensors

2. Your driver crashed at some point, but "recovered" so you still have video. It should tell you when this happens but I've had some rare instances where it didn't (usually when waking from sleep). Reboot should fix it.

I get lovely driver crashes every once in a while, and sometimes after they work fine, others it cuts the card's performance considerably until reboot.

Struct09

You mean Virgil, right?

Activate the quest after Glowing Sea using the console, get to the stage where you're in his cave, then 'sqt', find the Reference Id for the quest tagged with 'mq20X' (should be mq205, look for the reference ID under it). Then 'prid xxx' where xxx is the reference ID. Then 'enable'.

Awesome, thanks. If they don't fix the quest in this patch I'll give up and do this.

If afterburner is reporting low hz it's usually :

1. You updated drivers recently but haven't closed Afterburner, which screws with the sensors

2. Your driver crashed at some point, but "recovered" so you still have video. It should tell you when this happens but I've had some rare instances where it didn't (usually when waking from sleep). Reboot should fix it.

I get lovely driver crashes every once in a while, and sometimes after they work fine, others it cuts the card's performance considerably until reboot.
Double checked it with HWiNFO64 and it's showing it running at correct speeds, MSI must be bugged.

Game still runs like ASS with SLI, better off with Single Card mode.

Karak

What is this? I have a 980 and I'll notice some stuttering at times. Is that what you mean by hesitation?

Something like this. A perfectly time hesitation not connected to normal fps issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9vKqXOXGI

The Steam guide creators have informed me that it seems like if you have it, its only on 980gtx of all things, or at least when discussing it with people everyone who has it has been that 1 card. its not stutter. Its a very very odd pacing and hesitation that is perfectly timed.

komorebi

Something like this. A perfectly time hesitation not connected to normal fps issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9vKqXOXGI

The Steam guide creators have informed me that it seems like if you have it, its only on 980gtx of all things, or at least when discussing it with people everyone who has it has been that 1 card. its not stutter. Its a very very odd pacing and hesitation that is perfectly timed.

I have a MSI 980 and I've never experienced this. Been playing for 70 hours now.

Neo_Geo

Banned

Getting the same thing on a GTX 980. I thought I was getting that issue due to using the FPSClamp tweak, and wrote it off as FPS dips causing everything to slow down since my physics/framerate are synced now. Does your issue happen everywhere? I only really experience it in downtown Boston and other areas where FPS dips are common. Haven't had it happen noticeably in the starter areas.

Karak

I have a MSI 980 and I've never experienced this. Been playing for 70 hours now.

Ok...this was about people who do have it and the patch not fixing it.

Getting the same thing on a GTX 980. I thought I was getting that issue due to using the FPSClamp tweak, and wrote it off as FPS dips causing everything to slow down since my physics/framerate are synced now.
Nope. Nvidia know from what I was informed and a couple guide makers contacted me on my channel and all reported that it seems to be only 980gtx owners if you have the problem. Most likely some kind of awfully weird driver bug.

Takuan

Just gonna wait for the official patch. Catalyst 15.11.1 beta drivers addressed most of my performance issues, which weren't even that bad to me in the first place given my dated hardware. I still get random drops to the 40s inexplicably in certain areas, but it isn't worth dwelling on. Game's been stable otherwise, and I haven't yet run into any quest bugs.

To those who are saying that this is not a substantial patch:

Couldn't this be an indication that the fps issues people have been encountering will be resolved, or at least improved? I really hope so as that's been my most substantial issue with the game so far.

That's literally just thrown in there as filler. As a fucking developer I have no reason to trust that phrase ever.

Karak

I only really experience it in downtown Boston and other areas where FPS dips are common. Haven't had it happen noticeably in the starter areas.

Everywhere. That video should be showing the title screen where it even happens.
Loading screens with the revolving model you can REALLY see it. During gameplay it makes it basically unplayable. Luckily my 670gtx works fine and plays it.

Boots up, goes to Corvega immediately, nice...Drops previously in the 30fps range now 48 - 62fps with everything on ultra.

Nice, improvement.
Well still sort of seems all over the place. Interested when people get their hands on this to see if they see some improvements as well.

980's
Insalled to SSD

Neo_Geo

Banned
Everywhere. That video should be showing the title screen where it even happens.
Loading screens with the revolving model you can REALLY see it. During gameplay it makes it basically unplayable. Luckily my 670gtx works fine and plays it.

Man, that's worse than the GTX 680 stutter bug that was so prevalent and that I had in spades early on with that card. Luckily I don't get it all that bad unless I'm in an area where my FPS will drop anyway, and it is happening more and more since I am further into the SW end of the map now. Maybe using NVCP VSync and the FPSClamp tweaks are somewhat hiding it for me? I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it when your video started and I saw it happening on the starting cutscene.

Karak

Man, that's worse than the GTX 680 stutter bug that was so prevalent and that I had in spades early on with that card. Luckily I don't get it all that bad unless I'm in an area where my FPS will drop anyway, and it is happening more and more since I am further into the SW end of the map now. Maybe using NVCP VSync and the FPSClamp tweaks are somewhat hiding it for me? I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it when your video started and I saw it happening on the starting cutscene.

Ya its crazy. IN a ways it almost worse that its timed and not random lol.

komorebi

Ok...this was about people who do have it and the patch not fixing it.

Nope. Nvidia know from what I was informed and a couple guide makers contacted me on my channel and all reported that it seems to be only 980gtx owners if you have the problem. Most likely some kind of awfully weird driver bug.

I hadn't heard about it before now, that's really bizarre that it only seems to affect 980s. PC hardware/configurations are so weird sometimes.

bumclot

That's literally just thrown in there as filler. As a fucking developer I have no reason to trust that phrase ever.

:( Well, hopefully they'll stay true to their word about putting out patches more frequently. Is there a link to that btw?

Wow! I've been able to stand the fps drops, but I think I would find that unplayable. I really hope it's something that Bethesda can address. Any word if this is universal with all the companies that produce 980s? For the sake of collecting info, I'm using an EVGA SC model with the ACX fans and haven't experienced this.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I am on a Gigabyte G1 980 and only experience it randomly, sometimes when doing a quick turnaround I will get it, and when trying to reproduce it it sometimes won't hesitate again until I move to another area or look around in a different way. It's random for me but I definitely experience it.

Leetums

The Fallout dev team had a blog post the other day saying they're going to roll out numerous small patches for PC, then compile it into one big patch for consoles.

Fine by me, bring em on. Im so into it right now, following every single detail. I cant wait till im bored of it and can come back to it in 6 months completely modded out and stuff. Super exciting time to be a fallout fan.

Leetums

I hadn't heard about it before now, that's really bizarre that it only seems to affect 980s. PC hardware/configurations are so weird sometimes.

Seriously, talk about weird lol, me and a buddy were playing crysis 1 on an old dual core when it came out. The computer kept overheating, so i took it apart and gave the processor to my buddy, so i could reapply new tim. Well he dropped it, and bent a lot of the pins. I spent hours and hours with a razor blade bending them back, but the one in the very corner broke off. I put it back in, and not only did it work, but it gained a .2ghz overclock as well.

We call it the crysis pin.

And by the way, i had to play the game with shadow distance to medium, shadow quality high, and god rays low. After the Shadow tweak mod, and the new patch, i can play the game with EVERYTHING on ultra including god rays, and i havent dipped below 35 fps in downtown boston. The only problem area still is that racetrack area with all the huts in the middle. That brings me to 19 fps no matter what.

Seriously, talk about weird lol, me and a buddy were playing crysis 1 on an old dual core when it came out. The computer kept overheating, so i took it apart and gave the processor to my buddy, so i could reapply new tim. Well he dropped it, and bent a lot of the pins. I spent hours and hours with a razor blade bending them back, but the one in the very corner broke off. I put it back in, and not only did it work, but it gained a .2ghz overclock as well.

We call it the crysis pin.

And by the way, i had to play the game with shadow distance to medium, shadow quality high, and god rays low. After the Shadow tweak mod, and the new patch, i can play the game with EVERYTHING on ultra including god rays, and i havent dipped below 35 fps in downtown boston. The only problem area still is that racetrack area with all the huts in the middle. That brings me to 19 fps no matter what.

The racetrack, corvega and diamond city during the day are probably the biggest resource hogs in the game. Corvega is especially bad considering how there's fuck all going on for the most part, and it's an interior.

Karak

Wow! I've been able to stand the fps drops, but I think I would find that unplayable. I really hope it's something that Bethesda can address. Any word if this is universal with all the companies that produce 980s? For the sake of collecting info, I'm using an EVGA SC model with the ACX fans and haven't experienced this.

Thanks. I will track that poster down on my channel or on steam. They reached out to me after hearing me bitch about it during a podcast and then watching the review.
From what I understand its random 980gtx's and from the couple now posting in here it looks to be able to effect different companies 980's.
At least 3 companies just from the posts here.

So f+cking weird though. Thanks for the card info.

I'm running 980 Tis and I am knocking on wood that I haven't seen that one yet. Phew! Best of luck, buddy :(

Soodanim

Gold Member
I might roll back, the Mod that increases computer text speed no longer works for me. Disabling and reenabling in NMM doesn't fix it.

Honestly, as long as there's no save game bug that deletes your progress like NEW VEGAS, I'm happy. In all honestly, FALLOUT 4's launch has been one of the smoothest games Bethesda has put out, technically.

Yup, it's been more stable for me than most other RPGs released the last few years. Some minor glitches such as the pipboy becoming invisible a couple of times and my settlements having warning signs for no reason.

Top Bottom