• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First #FE (SMTxFE) live gameplay on Treehouse Stream

There was no weird dubbed version of japanese songs with P4G they were litterally just engrish all the way. The songs not engrish in P4G is Never more and True Story. Even then those two songs easily transfer over well when translated, I doubt these songs from Avex will be the same.

I'm specifically only referring to True Story, actually. Background songs are not plot-important and as such there's really no need touch them.

Point is, of the argument is that it's "too Japanese", then Persona 4 Golden has shown that it's not really. Heck, they didn't even shy away from using jarring Japanese honorifics in speech.

Vecks

I'm specifically only referring to True Story, actually. Background songs are not plot-important and as such there's really no need touch them.

Point is, of the argument is that it's "too Japanese", then Persona 4 Golden has shown that it's not really. Heck, they didn't even shy away from using jarring Japanese honorifics in speech.

Well, I'm not saying it's impossible for them to cut out the Japanese. After all, it's up to them. Whoever localizes it will do whatever they want. But, to me, it really wouldn't make sense in a game about Japanese Pop to cut out all the Japanese.

Jezan

At first I though this game was going to be darker, when I saw the trailer in the last direct I was turned off by the excess of Jpop references that I was sure SMT didn't have (at least not as much as this game). But after watching this Treehouse, I'm loving this, because basically every fight is like an spectacle.

Also, everyone is like "Erik is so hot", "the hottest guy of Treehouse", but the translator guy (I know he is also part of the Treehouse, but don't know his name) is perfection! I'm in love lol

Forkball

So this is a goddamn J Pop RPG. JPJRPG. That's unique at least, I'll give them that. The battle system looks promising. I admit I'm more sold on the game after watching the gameplay.

danwu

Banned
So this is a goddamn J Pop RPG. JPJRPG. That's unique at least, I'll give them that. The battle system looks promising. I admit I'm more sold on the game after watching the gameplay.

The J Pop is more in the background. You see it but the FE mirage characters are just so interesting and so much fun to battle and watch that it really doesn't fell like a JPJRPG !

mclem

So this is a goddamn J Pop RPG. JPJRPG. That's unique at least, I'll give them that.

MAHgLBb.jpg

Finally got around to watching this, and it's just as fantastic looking as I'd hoped! Sod the negative Nancy's here!

Really, really hope they get a proper translation in before the western release though.

Yarbskoo

I thought it looked fun from the beginning, but now I'm hyped. The battle system, dungeons, and light social sim elements all look good to me, and I love how colorful and animated the game is.

With this game, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Final Fantasy VII remake, etc, it looks like a great time for JRPGs on consoles.

wrowa

I wasn't able to watch the whole presentation yet and only skipped through certain parts of it, but have they shown any Fire Emblem mechanics that are part of the gameplay? From what I've seen so far, it seems to be limited to the weapon triangle playing a role in the battles.

I don't like the idol setting and I expected something slightly darker in tone from this collaboration, but in the end I don't mind it, since I trust the developers to create a great game.

However... from what I've seen, this doesn't seem to be doing anything special. The Fire Emblem characters seem to be just playing the roles of demons/personas and the rest looks pretty much like standard fare. The battles look fun but on first sight they don't seem to differ all that much from other Atlus RPGs. Which is not bad, since Atlus' battle systems are always rock-solid, but still... this is just not very exciting. I'm not yet seeing anything that feels fresh.

I hope there is some kind of twist in the game that we haven't seen yet, because as it is I find the gameplay footage to be relatively underwhelming. I'm sure it will be a decent game at the very least, since I trust the team - I love Atlus, I love Radiant Historia and I really, really liked Devil Survivor - but this just feels like something that is not making much use of its potential.

I wasn't able to watch the whole presentation yet and only skipped through certain parts of it, but have they shown any Fire Emblem mechanics that are part of the gameplay? From what I've seen so far, it seems to be limited to the weapon triangle playing a role in the battles.

some of the soundeffects and some muiscpieces are from fe :p

danwu

Banned

I don't like the idol setting and I expected something slightly darker in tone from this collaboration, but in the end I don't mind it, since I trust the developers to create a great game.

However... from what I've seen, this doesn't seem to be doing anything special. The Fire Emblem characters seem to be just playing the roles of demons/personas and the rest looks pretty much like standard fare. The battles look fun but on first sight they don't seem to differ all that much from other Atlus RPGs. Which is not bad, since Atlus' battle systems are always rock-solid, but still... this is just not very exciting. I'm not yet seeing anything that feels fresh.

I hope there is some kind of twist in the game that we haven't seen yet, because as it is I find the gameplay footage to be relatively underwhelming. I'm sure it will be a decent game at the very least, since I trust the team - I love Atlus, I love Radiant Historia and I really, really liked Devil Survivor - but this just feels like something that is not making much use of its potential.

The battle system also uses Project X Zone style of special team up's, assists and combo's which you don't see in a FE or SMT game !

You also get a lot of the team players chatting while they battle, which makes it feel more like a live on stage show battle !

Somehow I feel that if Nintendo really had more games in development for the WiiU for next year, they wouldn't have event thought about releasing this in the west. This seems very niche to say the least. And doesn't seem like there's a lot of Fire Emblem in there either, gameplay wise.

Majestad

Banned
I'm looking at the Treehouse gameplay session and this looks really fucking good. Yeah, #anime as hell, but shit looks quality. The battle system seems complex, graphics are great and the music sounds catchy. It also seems to have the usually "darker" elements of the SMT games.

PBalfredo

I keep hearing mention of Lyn in this game but can't find any source or screenshot. Does anyone else know of one or did this just emerge as a game of internet telephone?

L Thammy

Okay, continued analysis. First off. Someone on Tumblr translated the song in the first trailer. I completely misheard the English part of the lyrics, so there goes anything I guessed based on that. But the lyrics are interesting. Probably not what a lot of people who have posted in this thread expect. You can view the blog for the Japanese lyrics but here are the English ones:

I want to destroy
Will you be able to heal me from loneliness, from pain
And all things I had cherished
(Reincarnation, Realization, Reincarnation)
I want to disappear

Sounds of a city that never sleeps, the melancholy of these fake smiles
These real motive hiding, someday, somewhere as we had never seen them
Even if nobody speak about things as insecurity, we know about it

I want to destroy
These courageous acts I had cherished
But then, I won’t be able to be honest
Even if I’m lost or in trouble, if you ever ask me,
At least, I’ll destroy this pain and this loneliness
(Reincarnation, Realization, Reincarnation)
I want to reincarnate

That certainly points to a dramatic story, although not necessarily in the same way as people wanted. The song probably sets the tone for Kiria's character since she's the singer. We also hear it at Kiria's concert in the Treehouse video, which seems to be the start of the plot. So perhaps it sets the tone of the entire game. "Reincarnation" seems to be the title of the song, so it's probably an important concept in the game. I suspect that it's referring to the characters being reborn as the creative person inside. I'm wondering if maybe that concept ties into the Iconosphere, like that world is spawned by people's creativity of hidden desires or something.

Anyway. Onto the trailer proper. Let's start with the mechanics. Looking at the character select screen, you've got Strength, Magic Strength, Dexterity, Speed, Defense, and Magic Defense. Stats growth appears to be random like Fire Emblem. Pretty standard RPG fare, doesn't seem to be drawn entirely from either series. There's another thing below those stats though, and I can't figure that out. Insteaad of being a number, it's one of five words. It's not class or element, since those are represented elsewhere. Here's a screenshot if you want to examine the stat screen.

Mirages have their own slot beside the player and what appears to be an experience bar. Does the fact that they have their own slot suggest that you can switch them out? Their experience bar doesn't go up after battles, but I think that's because the Treehouse demo has them maxed. The Treehouse people mention at one point that they're stronger than normal or something along those lines. And if you look at the top right outside of battle, you see Chrom's face with "enemy info". So presumably it's an unlockable ability for Chrom, but they wanted to show off the elemental system. Since there's only one displayed on screen despite every character having a Mirage, perhaps you can only have one active ability.

If it ends up that Mirages can be switched out, then there might be demon fusion and stuff like that. But I think it might actually be possible to include permadeath for Mirages, too. I mean, if you have spares and most of them aren't important to the plot, why not?

Probably doesn't need to be said, but it looks like the weaknesses do work the same as Fire Emblem. For example, Pegasus Knight is weak to bow and wind magic, but resists dark. So it should be a lot easier to predict an enemy's weakness at a glance than in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Regarding the overworld. This was probably clear, but it's interesting that the implementation differs slightly from Shin Megami Tensei IV since attacking an enemy doesn't trigger the battle. It was mentioned by the Treehouse people that you can escape from an enemy after stunning them, but I suspect there's also a little extra risk now. An enemy can sneak up on you while you're trying to get a sneak attack on another one.

In battle, there's a "tactics" option which is separate from the "skills" option in the battle menu. My first thought is that it would just collect miscellaneous rarely-used options like guard or escape, but those are on the wheel too. I don't think it was shown off in the Treehouse presentation. Only Itsuki seems to have it. Instead, other characters have a "change" icon, which shows two characters with arrows in between. I guess it's to change turn order?

Whenever the session attack list pops up, you can see that it has three fields: holder, name, and risk. Holder shows the characters who are participating in the combo. Name shows the skills that they're using. What's risk? It wasn't mentioned in the demo either. Unless I missed it, there's never anything to the right of the skill name. I guess it's a game mechanic that only appears later on. The name suggests some kind of penalty. Here's a screenshot if you want to look for yourself.

There's autobattle if anyone cares. It's not on the wheel though, it's on the bottom right part of the screen. Maybe the tactics option is to set AI routines. Oh, and you can see from the save menu that the demo is being played at normal difficulty. So obviously there must be multiple difficulty modes.

There's a poster with an electric superhero guy seen in a few places in the early game. Look at these screenshots. I suspect that it's the tokusatsu franchise that Toma wants to act in. I think that Eleonora, the blonde girl, can be seen in an early poster too. Here's one screenshot, here's another, and here's another. The Eleonora poster's on the top right of the first screenshot.

The villains in the red cloaks are probably just a reference to how Fire Emblem represents enemies with red. Notice how Itsuki and Tsubasa both have blue hair like Fire Emblem heroes, and Itsuki also wears a blue jacket. But the red cloaks also remind me of the Shaman class from the GBA Fire Emblem games, as well as the Ring of Gaea cultists from Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I can't help but point out that when Shibuya is invaded by the Idolosphere, it doesn't look anything like that apocalyptic scene from the first trailer. There's no physical damage to the area. I'm wondering if there's another threat that comes up later. The beings from the Iconosphere being Mirages, I wonder if they're aren't actually illusions, unable to affect the physical world. It would fit with the "Illusory" in the title. Then there could be something else that causes the physical damage to Tokyo.

When they load the second save file, you can see that Itsuki's wearing different clothes. They're still casual clothes though. Maybe your characters change costumes as the game goes on, maybe there are costume options of some sort.

Some parts of the Shibuya 109 dungeon has a gothic lolita vibe to me. The antique fences and such. The music's a bit on the creepy side. I'm wondering if it's just this one dungeon that has that atmosphere. Are the dungeons in Persona meant to be unnerving? As an aside, each of the different floors of the dungeon actually has a different floor design. It's a neat little detail.

Some more details that might be missed. Chrom has the Falchion, but he only uses it for his dual attack. The explosion that appears behind Toma after he transforms is totally a Super Sentai thing. And those silhouettes that are always walking around are often carrying things that suggest having varied ages. Some have suitcases, others have backpacks, and a few have purses.

Well, that's what I found. Can't wait for Gamexplain.

Vecks

Anyway. Onto the trailer proper. Let's start with the mechanics. Looking at the character select screen, you've got Strength, Magic Strength, Dexterity, Speed, Defense, and Magic Defense. Stats growth appears to be random like Fire Emblem. Pretty standard RPG fare, doesn't seem to be drawn entirely from either series. There's another thing below those stats though, and I can't figure that out. Insteaad of being a number, it's one of five words. It's not class or element, since those are represented elsewhere. Here's a screenshot if you want to examine the stat screen

Are you talking about the last line of the parameter? It means luck. The words are going from worst to best, with the highlighted one meaning very good luck.

rhandino

Banned
[Awesome Analysis]
Well, that's what I found. Can't wait for Gamexplain.
Oh wow, great analysis reading rn

About the clothes... it seems that they use their uniforms inside the dungeons and normal clothes outside them (a la Persona 3/4) but I really want that they implement a costume system.

And about the Mirage they really seem to act like Personas too as suspected... I wonder how many Chrom I have to fuse to get Hector =P

L Thammy

Are you talking about the last line of the parameter? It means luck. The words are going from worst to best, with the highlighted one meaning very good luck.

That must be it then. Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem both have luck stats, but I think they've always been numerical, so this is a little weird.

About the clothes... it seems that they use their uniforms inside the dungeons and normal clothes outside them (a la Persona 3/4) but I really want that they implement a costume system.

You could see the main girl wearing swimsuit for like 1 second before the boss battle on Treehouse stream. (though I think it is a part of the story, given how background has multiple pictures of the girl wearing swimsuit...)

L Thammy

And about the Mirage they really seem to act like Personas too as suspected... I wonder how many Chrom I have to fuse to get Hector =P

Thanks. I don't think that's right about the clothes though. Itsuki's wearing a completely blue blazer from the first save, and that's before and after he goes to the dungeon. The only change in the dungeon is that his pants seem to be blue instead of green, but that might just be lighting. He's still outside of the dungeon on the second save, but you can see that the front-left side of his blazer has a black design.

Vecks

I don't think there will be fusing. If their appearance changes depending on the fire emblem character they have equipped, it'd be a ton of work to implement a lot of fire emblem characters.

That must be it then. Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem both have luck stats, but I think they've always been numerical, so this is a little weird.

With the way it looks, I don't think it'll be like a typical stat. It probably gets affected by something else, and will probably swing back and forth.

TheRook

The April 1st Trailer showed different Mirages that weren't in the latest trailer or in the Treehouse footage so I'm going to assume that Mirages can be changed.

Each Mirage also have icons to identify their classes, this helped lead me to believe that Mirages will be interchangeable, it's just that some will be more important to the story than others like Chrom since he was shown in a animated cutscene with the MC's.

I screen capped this character from the first trailer.

Pwtms58.jpg

No idea who this alluding to but they look pretty cool.

Vecks

I keep hearing mention of Lyn in this game but can't find any source or screenshot. Does anyone else know of one or did this just emerge as a game of internet telephone?

I haven't heard anything like that. It might be because Kiria has a similar hairstyle.

Itsuki clothes comparison:

2nd one looks similar but yeah, not sure why the pants are different. They both look like his school uniform.

rhandino

Banned
It's mostly because Kiria has a Mirage form with a similar hairstyle and tbh she resembles the design that they gave Lyn in FE: Awakening.
Then again, during the previous trailer there is a scene where Kiria is showed using a Mage icon in this form so who knows...

She also seems to have a Mirage form that resembles Severa (FE: Awakening)

IceIpor

It's mostly because Kiria has a Mirage form with a similar hairstyle and tbh she resembles the design that they gave Lyn in FE: Awakening.Then again, during the previous trailer there is a scene where Kiria is showed using a Mage icon in this form so who knows...

I think she's suppose to be mage class though, so I don't think Lyn or Severa will be involved with her.

If I had to guess, a character's mirage compatibility will be based on their "class".

Toxi

Banned
That concert scene was like Katy Perry at Superbowl Half-Time. I was half expecting to see her ride on a big robot tiger puppet.

EDIT: OH SHIT PORTALS

Kouriozan

I really like those 2 party members special attacks
It's mostly because Kiria has a Mirage form with a similar hairstyle and tbh she resembles the design that they gave Lyn in FE: Awakening.Then again, during the previous trailer there is a scene where Kiria is showed using a Mage icon in this form so who knows...

Kiria best character confirmed.

Toxi

Banned
The dual attack animations seem annoyingly long. Hopefully they're skippable or not too common later in the game.

L Thammy

According to the IGN video, the dual attacks are unlocked from optional character sidequests. So presumably you can go without using them at all, at least on the lower difficulties. That's the only new piece of information from the IGN video as far as I can tell.

Can't see a "skip" prompt during the attacks though. So unfortunately that's still up in the air.

kiryogi

Banned

Actually I don't believe that's Kiria's Mirage form, I think it's just one of her performance outfits.

I FINALLY got a chance to watch this and I'm really falling in love with the world in this game! It looks so good and fun (I'm especially loving the battles and dungeons!)! But please, JUST WEAR SOME FUCKING CLOTHES!

Zekes!

I hope the dungeon puzzles are a bit more involved than the essentially "hitting switches" puzzle we saw in the trailer. Also, hopefully it's a pretty meaty RPG. I'm not expecting it to be like 80 hours long like Persona 3/4, but some more side-stuff besides the party member quests would be cool.

Other than that, I'm there day one. Looks like a solid JRPG with some quirky and fun ideas.

Top Bottom