• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GTX 1070 benchmarks

Ok. Guess it would be worth waiting for VR benchmarks, but that makes me feel slightly better ;).

Regarding VR, do game developers have to implement some
special code to take advantage of the new hardware's VR capabilities?

kubus

I sooooo can't wait to upgrade my Radeon HD6950. Damn. Do we have any price indicator yet for Europe? Hoping for ~€400 max...

JonCha

Sticking with my 970 for now since I don't have a game that needs more horse power.

I've been debating for exactly this reason too. I have a console and mainly want 60frames all of the time in a 1440 monitor.

That said, it would seem silly to not get one of those cards when building a new case.

Ogawa-san

I could replace my 970 by a 1080 that's over twice as fast, and still keep using the same old 450w PSU since it consumes less power. I know a 970 isn't exactly cutting-edge tech but that's an amazing generational jump.

Jamaro85

So glad I bailed on building a PC a few months ago with a 290x. This card is going to be glorious. I'm not understanding why it gets smoked by the Titan and 980 Ti in The Division, but other than that it's looking amazing.

Firebrand

Guess this will be a pretty significant upgrade from my 770 2GB, haha. Not that I really have any performance issues in the games I play. Of course, the card's also likely to cost 40-50% more than the 770 did... ;_;

megateto

I'm seriously considering buying a 21:9, 3440x1440 monitor,but I haven't seen any benches for this resolution. I wonder if a 1070 would be enough to drive that monitor or if I should jump straight to a 1080.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sticking with my 970 for now since I don't have a game that needs more horse power.
I'm in the same boat, but I think I might just do it so I can mess with overclocking a new card and play Doom at really nice settings at 120Hz. And as a treat.
Really, ideally, HBM2 on the next revision should be even better.

dex3108

I still think that i will go with 970. I now have 760 and 1070 won't be below 450 euros here for a year after release at least. I will look to buy 970 for below 300 euros and i mostly play at 1080p so if i can i will push it at 1440p and downsample.

OmegaDL50

I'm in once the founder's edition crap passes, as the 1080 is just too expensive in Canada (not that we know exactly what the 1070 costs yet, I guess).

Didn't realize its peak power consumption was so low either.

Should be a nice upgrade from my 7970, which has been great to me for a while.

Yeah, I'm going from a 7950 to most likely a 1070 myself.

Going from where I am now to beyond GTX 980 Ti levels is going to be an absolutely phenomenal increase.

Once either MSI or Gigabyte comes out with their aftermarket cooler variants of the GTX 1070, my money will be ready.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Timing sure is convenient, 1070 benchmarks popping up at the same time AMD is hosting a Polaris event?

Looks good though, especially if that $380 price point happens sooner rather than later.

Renekton

I still think that i will go with 970. I now have 760 and 1070 won't be below 450 euros here for a year after release at least. I will look to buy 970 for below 300 euros and i mostly play at 1080p so if i can i will push it at 1440p and downsample.
For that price might as well wait for 1060 / Polaris 10 info.

dex3108

For that price might as well wait for 1060 / Polaris 10 info.

To be hones i am a bit tired of waiting :D I put on hold few games because i didn't like performances/look and my backlog is only getting bigger and bigger :D I am hoping that 970 could last me for two years and then i will change it again. Even 1060 or Polaris will be expensive here day 1 so i don't think that i will gain that much. Only thing that i am not sure about is how 4GB(ok 3.5 + 0.5 slower memory) will perform in the next 2 years. It could be enough because i think we reached engine/optimization maturity 3 years after console launch but PS4K and Xbox Next could change that.

Phinor

I was thinking £379, right?

£ and € prices are pretty close with the 1080, the 1070 FE was confirmed to be 499€ so that's pretty much exactly £379. So slightly less than that for some non-FE models, except the huge demand might cause prices to fluctuate towards that £379 and maybe above for some models.

Vuze

Not bad! 1080 has a decent performance advantage as well, so both cards will have their rightful place unlike the 970/980.

OmegaDL50

I play Witcher with the Ultra preset but with Hairworks off and both Shadows and Foliage lowered to high at 30FPS on my HD7950 at 1080p.

This GTX 1070 should finally be the ticket for me to get 60+ fps with with a moderate downsample since I play on a 1080p HDTV.

I am not buying a new GPU for a resolution increase yet, but rather overall performance increase.

I have been very pleased with the results of my MSI Twin Frozr HD7950, so I hope there will also be a Twin Frozr variant of the GTX 1070.

Since I sold my Wii U and it's library recently and decided to focus on PC and PS4 instead, I think this new GPU will be the ticket I need to cover all of my bases for my multiplatform needs on PC.

I'm not planning to replace my Mobo or CPU yet. (I was originally considering to do a whole PC rebuild but I cannot afford it but can squeeze in the GPU purchase instead)

I'm currently on a i5 3570k and 8GB of 1866 DDR3 Ram, So If I simply upgrade my ram from 8 to 16GB and replace my HD7950 with the GTX 1070, I hopefully shouldn't run into any issues with bottlenecking...I hope?

I think this should be more sufficient downsampling 1440p to my 1080p display without any foreseeable issues. At least that IS the plan.

Xyber

That 1080p performance in The Division is really weird, barely beats out the 970. Guessing it's a driver problem.

Gotta say I'm impressed by the 1080 difference,its a monster of a card.1070 is pretty damn good to,lets hope they price it sensibly

holygeesus

Banned
I play Witcher with the Ultra preset but with Hairworks off and both Shadows and Foliage lowered to high at 30FPS on my HD7950 at 1080p.

This GTX 1070 should finally be the ticket for me to get 60+ fps with with a moderate downsample since I play on a 1080p HDTV.

I am not buying a new GPU for a resolution increase yet, but rather overall performance increase.

I have been very pleased with the results of my MSI Twin Frozr HD7950, so I hope there will also be a Twin Frozr variant of the GTX 1070.

Since I sold my Wii U and it's library recently and decided to focus on PC and PS4 instead, I think this new GPU will be the ticket I need to cover all of my bases for my multiplatform needs on PC.

I'm not planning to replace my Mobo or CPU yet. (I was originally considering to do a whole PC rebuild but I cannot afford it but can squeeze in the GPU purchase instead)

I'm currently on a i5 3570k and 8GB of 1866 DDR3 Ram, So If I simply upgrade my ram from 8 to 16GB and replace my HD7950 with the GTX 1070, I hopefully shouldn't run into any issues with bottlenecking...I hope?

I think this should be more sufficient downsampling 1440p to my 1080p display without any foreseeable issues. At least that IS the plan.

I too game on a 1080p set but I'm not convinced that down-sampling from 1440p is worth the performance hit. I've conducted many experiments and blind tests and I literally cannot see a difference in image quality.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Jeez it is going to be so hard come upgrade time. Do I get the 1080 and not have to worry about upgrading for the next five years or do I get the 1070 and live comfortably at 1080p for the next three to five years. Either one is a gigantic upgrade from my 770 but boy is it hard.

Timing sure is convenient, 1070 benchmarks popping up at the same time AMD is hosting a Polaris event?

Looks good though, especially if that $380 price point happens sooner rather than later.

What event? The Macau event was yesterday. All we found out from that was the 29th June NDA date presumably for Polaris cards.

I was thinking £379, right?

Should be no more than £350. But they won't be at launch. But that is the price they should normalize at. But 'should' is different to 'will'.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm on a 970. I'm thinking about selling it for about €200 getting a 1070, which seems to be a solid upgrade for around another €200. But then again, the gap between the 1070 and the 1080 seems pretty substantial.

Should I get a 1070 or a 1080? Is the price difference justified? I'll be playing at 1920x1080, but I want to get as best performance as I can!

I'm on a 970. I'm thinking about selling it for about €200 getting a 1070, which seems to be a solid upgrade for around another €200. But then again, the gap between the 1070 and the 1080 seems pretty substantial.

Should I get a 1070 or a 1080? Is the price difference justified? I'll be playing at 1920x1080, but I want to get as best performance as I can!

I don't think you'll get 200€ for a used 970 now that the 1070's just around the corner. It's gonna be a buyer's market with every enthusiast wanting to upgrade and flooding the second-hand market with previous-gen cards.

I'm not even expecting to get 250€ for my 980, TBH.

Jeez it is going to be so hard come upgrade time. Do I get the 1080 and not have to worry about upgrading for the next five years or do I get the 1070 and live comfortably at 1080p for the next three to five years. Either one is a gigantic upgrade from my 770 but boy is it hard.

How can a 20% faster card give you two more years? It's hard to say how long a card will last without accounting for a lot of subjective things but you would need a much higher difference for that to happen, like 2x not 1.2.

Top Bottom