• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GTX 1070 benchmarks

SeanTSC

Man, 1070 performance is great.

So, question. I'm currently running an i5-2500k (OC'd of course), 16GB of DDR3-2133 CL9, and a 4GB Gigabyte factory OC'd GTX 970 on my very ancient 20.1 inch NEC 20WMGX2 monitor that runs at 1680x1050.

I mostly just play stuff like Final Fantasy XIV, Civilization and 4X games, and stuff like the new Shadowrun and Pillars of Eternity kickstarter games on it, but I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to something like the Ultra-wide 34 inch Dell U3415W which is 3440x1440.

Is my 970 still going to be enough to handle that bump in resolution and to hold 60 fps in those types of games, especially Final Fantasy XIV, or will it be worth upgrading to the GTX 1070?

A worthy successor to my 8800GT.
That card is almost 10 years old. Any upgrade within the last 6 years would have been worth it.

Will be sticking to my 970 for another year at least. Gaming with a 24 inch monitor at 1080p and 144 fps. Don't mind dropping my settings here and there from ultra to maintain the frame rate. Not interested in VR or planning to get a 4K monitor either.

Kieli

Performance looks pretty good on the GTX 1070 (for non-FE prices). Still kinda down on 1080FE, tho. It's better, but also more expensive...

I wonder if I can sell my xbox one and my Asus strix OC 970 and cover the cost of a new 1070? I'm sure I can at least get close. The Xbox is just gathering dust in the back of the closet so might as well try.

Division_01.png

Division_02.png

The Division's performance seems in line with what is expected here.

Red Hood

Banned
I wonder if I can sell my xbox one and my Asus strix OC 970 and cover the cost of a new 1070? I'm sure I can at least get close. The Xbox is just gathering dust in the back of the closet so might as well try.

Definitely. You'll most likely end with some money to spare. I'd say an XBO (I assume with a controller and some games) can go for 200 easily and 970 (at this moment) for around 200 maybe a little higher.

Cramoss

Not only that, don't forget about the new Xbox rumors and if they turn out to be true, your xbox resell value will go to shit. So, either way I'd sell it now.

jdstorm

Banned
Well in % terms you are paying around 57% more for +20% performance. I think it's better to go 1070 and upgrade sooner than 5 years.

I'd bet on GPUs continuing to rapidly improve over the next few years VR needs close to 8Kx 90FPS per eye to look realistic so I'd imagine tech company's are going to push themselves had until they reach those benchmarks

Not only that, don't forget about the new Xbox rumors and if they turn out to be true, your xbox resell value will go to shit. So, either way I'd sell it now.

Sell your XB1 as soon as you can. Microsoft are releasing all the exclusives on windows anyway so if you have a gaming PC you won't need an Xbox. Plus if you sell it before Scorpio is official you wil make more money

OmegaDL50

Your mind will be blown by the leap in performance.

My mind was blown away when I upgraded an old 9800GT to a HD7950.

I cannot imagine going from a 8800GT to a GTX 1070.

I think going from my HD7950 to a GTX 1070 is significant in of itself.

RedSwirl

I'm going to be upgrading from a 760, and I'm only going to be playing on a 1080p TV. This is just going to be straight-up wrong. Absolute destruction.

The GameSpot review said the 1070 was overkill for 1080p, but I'm not waiting for the eventual 1060. Do I just downscale? Consider this future-proofing for 2018 games?

That's a good point. I have about 8 games on it (Diablo, MCC, forza, minecraft etc) so selling it now should be a priority for sure. (And I won $150 in blackjack last night, this 1070 keeps getting cheaper and cheaper :)

I was waiting for this graph. At the FE price of $450 the 1070 is slightly better value than the 970 and 390X with these two even being better in a couple games. MSRP $379 is another story as expected. Too bad they haven't included the 1080 also for some perspective.

OmegaDL50

I'm going to be upgrading from a 760, and I'm only going to be playing on a 1080p TV. This is just going to be straight-up wrong. Absolute destruction.

The GameSpot review said the 1070 was overkill for 1080p, but I'm not waiting for the eventual 1060. Do I just downscale? Consider this future-proofing for 2018 games?

This what I am basically doing too, I also have my PC hooked up to a 1080p TV.

Supersampling / Downsampling seems to be a viable option.

The thing I ask though, is downsampling from 1440p to 1080p the same as running 1440p natively?

I mean the card is pushing 1440p worth of pixels right? It's just outputting them on a smaller res display which is basically better than anti-aliasing, so I could probably disable a games built-in AA option since Downsampling or using SSAA would more or less accomplish the same thing.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

RedSwirl

This what I am basically doing too, I also have my PC hooked up to a 1080p TV.

Supersampling / Downsampling seems to be a viable option.

The thing I ask though, is downsampling from 1440p to 1080p the same as running 1440p natively?

I mean the card is pushing 1440p worth of pixels right? It's just outputting them on a smaller res display which is basically better than anti-aliasing, so I could probably disable a games built-in AA option since Downsampling or using SSAA would more or less accomplish the same thing.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That's possibly the most messed-up part for me: I don't even care about anti-aliasing that much. Most of the time I just turn on FXAA or 2x MSAA and call it a day. Aliasng doesn't bother me as much as it bothers most people. I have to have some AA, just not a whole lot.

I mean the card is pushing 1440p worth of pixels right? It's just outputting them on a smaller res display which is basically better than anti-aliasing, so I could probably disable a games built-in AA
1440p -> 1080p isn't really enough downsampling to kill aliasing in really detailed games IMO. I've seen TW3 at 1440p with no AA and the aliasing is ready to see.

I prefer to downsample and use injected SMAA personally.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
1070 benchmarks look excellent. Two more weeks until preorders come? Sooner, maybe?

elfinke

I say this every damn GPU thread, but please let the AUD price be sensible.

Seems like a pretty hot bit of silicon. I still haven't made peace with the current pricing of GPUs, lol. An all-new PC build later this year is still on the cards, so plenty of time for me to!

wachie

I was waiting for this graph. At the FE price of $450 the 1070 is slightly better value than the 970 and 390X with these two even being better in a couple games. MSRP $379 is another story as expected. Too bad they haven't included the 1080 also for some perspective.
Wouldnt want to throw any shade on the 1080.

LCGeek

formerly sane
My mind was blown away when I upgraded an old 9800GT to a HD7950.

I cannot imagine going from a 8800GT to a GTX 1070.

I think going from my HD7950 to a GTX 1070 is significant in of itself.

I went from 7950 to 970 and got a good jump. A 1070 is gonna be beastly.

Resilient

I say this every damn GPU thread, but please let the AUD price be sensible.

Seems like a pretty hot bit of silicon. I still haven't made peace with the current pricing of GPUs, lol. An all-new PC build later this year is still on the cards, so plenty of time for me to!

i'm getting tired of no fkn pricings for these cards lol. Like, just give me the 1080 nonFE price already and I will pre-order it.

zeshakag

Damn the 1070 seems like a triumph if it comes out around $370 like LTT states.

As someone who is a resolution whore over fps, 4K max settings at minimum 30 fps is more than enough for me at that price point.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think it's his idea of an inside joke but literally nobody is inside
Everyone remembers me and my proclamation but no one remembers the chumps who fought tooth and nail against Pascal. I kind of like that.

I hope we get some Overwatch bench marks. Literally the greatest release in years. It's so polished and complete. What a breath of fresh air compared to the build it while we fly mentality these days.

LowParry

Hmmm. It makes sense to upgrade my 970 up to the 1070 for more frames. Love me my 144hz. I hope my 3570k doesn't bottleneck things. At least for the next couple of years.

Edit: Oh yeah, do we have a size comparison between the 970 vs 1070?

Top Bottom