• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Azar

When you've read all the books, playing the games without sprint and all the Super-man stuff just feels stiff, cold and emotionless. I'm all for sprint and a faster game.
I, too, cry out for more pathos in my multiplayer capture the flag matches.

From just reading the OP, it seems like more of a sidegrade than a full-on upgrade over Reach, but with a franchise this well developed, it's hard not to. Reach packed in a ton of features.

The loss of Firefight is pretty disappointing, and while Spartan Ops should fill that gap somewhat, I'm not sure it does so entirely. I do think Spartan Ops, as described, especially with the story angle, is a good addition though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Firefight had the worst input lag if you weren't host. I'm not gonna miss that. Spartan Ops better be smooth like buttah.

No you're not the only one.

I'm very open to some change. Seeing that it will still retain its Halo essence, I'm fine with some changes.
Glad to hear, I was worried about myself if I was. :lol

Honestly, while many long time mans may find the idea of changes or evolutions of the game as a bad thing, I think those very fans would tire if the game continued down a linear path, with nothing new. Also, I think many games have a very addicting unlock system, but tend to cause balance issues. Halo 4 seems to have a great solution by not abandoning map only weapons, which also sounds similar to what Gears does.

I was quickly browsing through the GI article, and it said "assault carbine" - what would that be?

^ I wish that would have went into more detail about the assault carbine, I hope it is a weapon like that.

Speaking of weapons, is the gun the Elite is holding the new Carbine or something else?

Khezu

I wonder if power weapons will be drop only, or if there will be normal set locations, and the occasional drop pod with a random weapon in it.

There both horrible, but one is slightly less horrible.

Considering how long it takes to kill someone in Halo, it does get kind of annoying. You put all that work into lowering their shields and they get away.

Well fair enough, but it'll be more annoying for your foes if you're good at Halo (I read your posts on halogaf so I'm guessing you are). Plus, nothing like a good chase!

Overdoziz

Banned
More dynamic gameplay and evasion tactics for everyone? How horrid!
Not having sprint punishes bad decisions more. Having sprint is like a safety-net for people who make mistakes. "Oh I'm losing this 1v1 DMR battle, I'd better run!". Now is running away not a bad thing at all, but sprint increases the amount of occasions in which this becomes a successful tactic drastically. "But you have sprint too, you can follow him" You say. The way it works in Reach (and in Halo 4 too if the current footage is to be believed) is that you can't shoot while sprinting. This means that the person running away can get away by keeping on sprinting while the pursuer has to stop sprinting to start shooting which causes the target to run away even further. Following people around corners isn't a good tactic anyway, it gets you killed. At long range this isn't even a possibility either.

So you can understand that especially on close quarter maps (think Countdown in Reach) sprint can be really be an annoyance. I really don't see why people want sprint anyway. Give me a good base movement speed (think Halo 2) and I'm set.

Forerunner Vision

-Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

Sounds badass

Yo Gotti

Banned
Adding Sprint and Evade are the only things that Halo: Reach did right. I don't mind Evade being gone, I'd rather it not take up another button space, but unless they upped the default movement speed drastically, Sprint is just essential to maneuvering in a modern shooter.

If you can't kill someone who's got the time to turn away and sprint in the middle of combat on a shooter as slow as Halo, there's no guarantee you were gonna get the kill anyway.

Not having sprint punishes bad decisions more. Having sprint is like a safety-net for people who make mistakes. "Oh I'm losing this 1v1 DMR battle, I'd better run!". Now is running away not a bad thing at all, but sprint increases the amount of occasions in which this becomes a successful tactic drastically. "But you have sprint too, you can follow him" You say. The way it works in Reach (and in Halo 4 too if the current footage is to be believed) is that you can't shoot while sprinting. This means that the person running away can get away by keeping on sprinting while the pursuer has to stop sprinting to start shooting which causes the target to run away even further. Following people around corners isn't a good tactic anyway, it gets you killed. At long range this isn't even a possibility either.

So you can understand that especially on close quarter maps (think Countdown in Reach) sprint can be really be an annoyance. I really don't see why people want sprint anyway. Give me a good base movement speed (think Halo 2) and I'm set.

I see what you're saying, and like Dax said, it takes a long time to kill people; I guess it comes down to preference. Personally, I think sprinting enhances gameplay in most every shooter I've played, including Reach. I love the feeling of escaping a near death situation, and since everyone will have it its even less of a problem for me.

I see what you're saying, and like Dax said, it takes a long time to kill people; I guess it comes down to preference. Personally, I think sprinting enhances gameplay in most every shooter I've played, including Reach. I love the feeling of escaping a near death situation, and since everyone will have it its even less of a problem for me.

I agree, and while it isn't a consideration that matters when it comes to pure mechanics, I also think that it simply makes good sense for the bad-ass super soldiers of the future to be able to kick it into overdrive for a few seconds when under duress, or when charging into a melee.

Considering how long it takes to kill someone in Halo, it does get kind of annoying. You put all that work into lowering their shields and they get away.

Yeah evasion-based gameplay only really works when either health is low or health doesn't regen. It's infuriating in Reach to put a ton of shots on someone, only for them to get away and recharge back to full health/shields.

Like in Shadowrun, you can fucking teleport. Through walls. It's probably the most effective evasion mechanic in any shooter to date. But it's not frustrating because health doesn't regen. Even if a damaged opponent teleports away, everything you did matters, weakening them for a teammate or forcing them to fall back to a Tree of Life to regain health - basically neutralizing them as a threat for as long as it takes for them to regen their health. Yeah Elves regen automatically, but they have very low health so it balances out.

game design

bangai-o

Banned
Yeah evasion-based gameplay only really works when either health is low or health doesn't regen. It's infuriating in Reach to put a ton of shots on someone, only for them to get away and recharge back to full health/shields.

Like in Shadowrun, you can fucking teleport. Through walls. It's probably the most effective evasion mechanic in any shooter to date. But it's not frustrating because health doesn't regen. Even if a damaged opponent teleports away, everything you did matters, weakening them for a teammate or forcing them to fall back to a Tree of Life to regain health - basically neutralizing them as a threat for as long as it takes for them to regen their health. Yeah Elves regen automatically, but they have very low health so it balances out.

game design

meh, it was inferiorating unless your the guy that got away.

there are always scenarios in Halo where you have to make the decision to either run away or take the risk and continue fighting with a low shield because you know the opponent also has a low shield. Sometimes it is better to run away for a moment because you are about to reload, or maybe a teammate is coming to back you up so you start running that way. et ceterea.
i also like Shadowrun alot, I have no reason to say it is unbalanced, but I also know that Halo has its own perfect balance.

game design

There are a million things in halo more infuriating than enemies escaping from the last couple shots. Getting rocket launched, getting sniped, getting shotgun/sworded from out of nowhere, having the opponents teammate pop out to kill you one shot before you kill the oppenent, the list goes on. Like I keep saying, it may be slightly annoying for them to evade your attack, but if you're better you'll do it more often than your opponent thus making it a factor of skill. And it changes things up, keeps gameplay dynamic. Game Design.

There are a million things in halo more infuriating than them escaping from the last couple shots. Getting rocket launched, getting sniped, getting shotgun/sworded from out of nowhere, having the opponents teammate pop out to kill you one shot before you kill the oppenent, the list goes on. Like I keep saying, it may be slightly annoying for them to evade your attack, but if you're better you'll do it more often than your opponent thus making it a skill factor. Game Design.

Then you end up with a boring, slow paced game like Reach where nobody ever dies outside of close range without being teamshotted or sniped. Not my idea of fun. I remember when individual players in Halo were worth a damn.

If your team constantly hands over free power weapons to the other guys, they deserve to own you with them. Though the starting weapons in Halo 4 should be also more powerful than the H3 BR and Reach DMR.

Then you end up with a boring, slow paced game like Reach where nobody ever dies outside of close range without being teamshotted or sniped. Not my idea of fun. I remember when individual players in Halo were worth a damn.

If your team constantly hands over free power weapons to the other guys, they deserve to own you with them. Though the starting weapons in Halo 4 should be also more powerful than the H3 BR and Reach DMR.

No, a slow paced game would be a game without sprint. Reach was anything but boring; unbalanced, yes, but not boring. Close range kills only? I personally got a vast majority of my kills with the dmr in Reach, were we playing the same game?

i guess since not a lot of people used sprint i didn't have that problem whenever i was in a situation. people always run. I always found it funny. Matter fact if no one is running from you you probably not that good anyway.

There were times when i played people would just look at me and run the other way. Also the only way someone should get away is if you put 1 shot into them and they ran away.

Now if the game goes back to being four shots to kill someone it isn't even a problem. If it is 3 shots even less of one.

honestly the biggest news is the fact that the BR, DMR, and Carbine is back. I think 343 should make it 3 shot to kill somebody or do people think that is just too fast?

Do you feel the need for dedis in Reach? I basically never lag or feel like my shots are missing when they should hit (lol CoD and Gears3 P2P). I am in the Midwest US.

I experience the exact opposite. Game constantly choosing the worst host and then migrates within the first minute or so.

JB1981

Adding Sprint and Evade are the only things that Halo: Reach did right. I don't mind Evade being gone, I'd rather it not take up another button space, but unless they upped the default movement speed drastically, Sprint is just essential to maneuvering in a modern shooter.

If you can't kill someone who's got the time to turn away and sprint in the middle of combat on a shooter as slow as Halo, there's no guarantee you were gonna get the kill anyway.

Evade was the worst shit ever

Top Bottom