• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of Moby Dick Studio's (The Phantom Pain) CEO Joakim Mogren

Moosichu

Love the gaming industry. So intrigued. Its like... so wacky and Kojima and crazy. The trailer was really good as well so I'm wondering what is up.

I would love it if it turned that Joakim Morgen was someone who was butthurt over the ending of MGS4 so decided to make his own series featuring "Rigid Knase" who is escaping from a fiery bastard while tormented by giant whales. (Scrap that idea, Kojima is directly involved)

Jawmuncher

This reminds me of the Moms play Dead Space 2 ad in terms of some people's reactions. Seriously have some fun, you guys make it sound like games have to be serious business:

FoneBone

What in the world are you talking about?

This is for a show that does nothing but promotes video games. This is a video game. I don't understand why some people think GTTV is freaking Nightline or something.

Of course GTTV is there for promotion, but it's one thing to show trailers and interview developers, and another to actively participate in a marketing campaign (assuming the interview, as I expect, pretends that Mogren is a real person and Moby Dick is a real studio).

BosSin

My pro photoshop skills reveal that Joakim Mogren is actually Vegeta.

YH2IA9T.jpg
Further proof that he will always play second fiddle to Kojima (Goku)

geebee

Banned
Just announce the damn game
Seriously.. I don't know what's more annoying.. this ego-stroking style of marketing or Activision and Ubi's multi-million dollar campaigns. Enough of the fake aliases, crappy licensed music trailers.. just show some gameplay.

Funnily Kojima did this with Peace Walker before it became commonplace. Anyone remember the teaser site where the image revealed more and more each day, clouds changing and what not.

Hm that was just a countdown to announcement page, I don't think those were that uncommon. This is a whole new weirdness, a while back someone compared it to the spirit of the E3 2010 Konami Conference, which sounds about right.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Of course GTTV is there for promotion, but it's one thing to show trailers and interview developers, and another to actively participate in a marketing campaign (assuming the interview, as I expect, pretends that Mogren is a real person and Moby Dick is a real studio).

GTTV is like a late night TV show: they have guests, throw some questions and let them promote their game. I don't think they've ever pretended to be anything more than that.

Dr Dogg

Hm that was just a countdown to announcement page, I don't think those were that uncommon. This is a whole new weirdness, a while back someone compared it to the spirit of the E3 2010 Konami Conference, which sounds about right.

Found a link on here to the exact page and I've edited my original post with but here you go http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41639807&postcount=104 . If I remember right no one knew anything was in the works at the time but it was just a fairly ambiguous page with a timer and a Komani logo on the top. When the timer ended another one appeared with little to no changes. Though suddenly Bam! 2 Metal Gear games revealed. Sure countdowns had happened before but they were for games that were already announced and was just to inform you when information was coming but this was totally different.

eso76

This is funny, but I wonder why going this far when everyone already knows the truth.
And we do because kojima himself didn't try to hide it, on the contrary the trailer made it very clear it was mgs5.

Unless Kojima is doing a double troll, by having people think they guessed its mgs5, when it really isn't.

javac

Imagine if this guy is actually legit and he just spilt hot tea on his face this morning, ever think of that?

Durante

That's a good comparison. Interestingly enough, the 2010 Konami Conference is probably the most recent game marketing thing I remember positively before this. Well, not counting the kickstarters.

Midou

Pushing the strange hype and viral marketing beyond simple teaser sites and images to this extent is glorious.

It certainly has people talking, even if we know what it's 'generally' going to be, we still don't really know any concrete details.

Road

This is so boring.

I'd rather they had made a Facebook page so we could get it to 1 million likes -- much more professional.

Midou

This is fun. I wonder how much longer are they going to keep it going.

Well if Kojima's GDC reveal in 2 weeks from yestarday is some kind of MGS5 that encompasses both TPP and Ground Zeroes as 'teasers' then that might be the earliest. Otherwise might be until E3 or something. :p

I don't understand what everyone is so confused about. Clearly Joakim was badly burned while mo-capping the trailer for The Phantom Pain... clearly.

Top Bottom