• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Image of the new Sailor Moon Anime Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

How can you stand to watch Sailor Moon, which has younger characters and is even more sexualized?

I wouldn't say Sailor Moon is sexualized at all really.

The two main couples in the show Usagi/Mamoru and Haruka/Michiru never go into anything all that deep and the same goes for the Transformations.

Hell they even handle Usagi have a child and we never see so much as her with out her top off in a sexualized manner.

Not only that, but she was fierce and didn't take shit from anyone.

Yep! And she had good comic relief moments too!

I never got the Mars love, she seemed like such a generic anime design to me.

Mars had personality in spades. Not saying that the other girls didn't, but seriously. And from a design perspective it's kind of fun putting the yamato nadeshiko and hothead together in the same character.

Loved me some Sailor Moon back in the day. Was hoping for a little bit more of an update to the art, but maybe there'll be uptick in the overall animation. I'll give it a shot.

Go, Jupiter! Go, Uranus!

And,

ibqOiyNYitn5Rv.png

Sorry, Satch. I know we don't see eye to eye on who the best scout is, but I need to borrow this.

Another reason why K-On has the superior artstyle. Dem hips.

ibqOiyNYitn5Rv.png

The two main couples in the show Usagi/Mamoru and Haruka/Michiru never go into anything all that deep and the same goes for the Transformations.

Hell they even handle Usagi have a child and we never see so much as her with out her top off in a sexualized manner.

What do you call the transformation sequences and their outfits? Do their boots really need heels? Why are their skirts so short? Why are they essentially wearing fetishized versions of school uniforms?

Zoe

Usage starts spending the night with Mamoru after the second arc...

Beth Cyra

What do you call the transformation sequences and their outfits? Do their boots really need heels? Why are their skirts so short? Why are they essentially wearing fetishized versions of school uniforms?

The Transformations are incredibly light on Sexualization compared to the majority of anime I've seen.

As for the uniforms, it went with the whole thing. A school girl becoming the a crime fighter, but still being a school girl. It should be noted as their powers continue to grow the outfits get more and more elaborate and they show even less skin then their previous versions.

Also, their boots aren't an issue. The only one that can really be made a case for is Mars and the fact she wears straight high heels.

Usage starts spending the night with Mamoru after the second arc...
And? We barely see them kiss let alone anything beyond that.

Them spending the night together isn't sexualitzation, it's a boyfriend/girlfriend who are already shown to be married and have a child spending time together.

Sophia

They're actually wearing leotards, so the skirts aren't really all that short. You see leotards like that in Rhythmic Gymnastics all the time. :\

It's very light on the sexualization, honestly.

Zoe

And? We barely see them kiss let alone anything beyond that.

Them spending the night together isn't sexualitzation, it's a boyfriend/girlfriend who are already shown to be married and have a child spending time together.

They're a lot more physical in the manga. It's implied they slept together
the night before they went to the future

if Sailor Moon is "sexualized" (and i haven't seen the show in a long-ass time so i'm really only going on the outfits here, which make a decent case), it doesn't really bother me because it's all kind of...silly. not in an insulting way or anything. it's just not something i'm taking particularly seriously, so anything that would otherwise make me uncomfortable has to be REALLY played up or REALLY bad for it to bother me.

Beth Cyra

They're a lot more physical in the manga. It's implied they slept together
the night before they went to the future

Yeah, fair enough.

However as I mentioned previously in this thread, I'm a Sailor Moon Anime fan and not so much Manga/TV/Musical.

Just because you post a lot in the K-On thread doesn't mean you have to go to bat for the show like this.

Zero315

Banned
Upon coming into the thread my thoughts on a new Sailor Moon series was eh. Seeing that new image in the op triggered something in my brain and now I'm completely fucking pumped and can't wait for it to start. Hell, it's 2:30 AM and I'm considering going to youtube and looking up some episodes from the original series.

Mars was always my favorite because she struck the fiercest pose in her transformation sequence.
ZMPFj0R.jpg

Work.

Mars was always the fiercest of the core group. Jupiter tried tho.

Roo

I really like how it looks.
This is the first thing to come to my mind when I saw it
The art style is way too similar. Do we know if they were made by the same artist?
i4x98IEyTlM1W.jpg

Wow. I love how it looks way more faithful to the manga aesthetic, but without looking wonky. (I adore the manga's look, but there's no denying the faces look kinda off in it. Not that I'd change it, just wouldn't want that translated to the anime.)

Mars is fucking fierce but Jupiter was always like the helpful support role and I always liked her.

That being said we all know Tuxedo Mask is the best character. Is he part of this arc? Very important

So it is ok to notice that Usagi has no ass but I should feel bad for noticing the hips in K-On? Do I need to remind you guys how old Usagi was in Season 1? Sounds more like some of you want me to get banned because you hate my valid K-On comparison.

Beth Cyra

Mars is fucking fierce but Jupiter was always like the helpful support role and I always liked her.

That being said we all know Tuxedo Mask is the best character. Is he part of this arc? Very important

He plays a role in all of the arcs.

Also depending on the version Mars is just as helpful as Jupiter. Granted the Anime skews things because they take shit that Minako and Jupiter did for Usagi/Moon and roll it all into Mars character.

So it is ok to notice that Usagi has no ass but I should feel bad for noticing the hips in K-On? Do I need to remind you guys how old Usagi was in Season 1? Sounds more like some of you want me to get banned because you hate my valid K-On comparison.
Honestly I found the Ass stuff to be just as odd as your K-On stuff.

I didn't even think about her backside, I just noticed the hair, her face being similar to the Manga and the Silver Crystal. It wasn't until I scrolled through the thread I even remembered she had an ass.

Looks amazing, a LOT better than I expected. I was worried they would go for some half-assed, "cute" designs lacking detail and stuff, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Now I'm hoping the music will be just as great as the old stuff, but I doubt it will, nothing will. :(

Yes you should feel bad for making sexual observations about drawn little girls.

Just because you post a lot in the K-On thread doesn't mean you have to go to bat for the show like this.

It's not like I'm making shit up. I just find it strange that certain people are so disgusted by K-ON being "pedo" when Sailor Moon features younger characters and portrays them in a more sexualized fashion. I realize that this viewpoint is not going to win me any friends in this thread where everyone is excited about the new Sailor Moon anime, but that's okay. I also don't care whether or not Sailor Moon is sexualized beyond this very specific argument; I'm more interested in finding out why someone would think K-ON is "pedo" but Sailor Moon isn't. Is it just the artstyle? Is it okay to have middle school girls in fetishy outfits because they're drawn all lanky looking?

Man that promo image looks crazy good. Really like the concept of the manga art animated.

Ehh...you mean in the anime, right? If not...I've got news for you because there's a totally official, very much sexualized topless image of Serena/Usagi drawn by Takeuchi for one of her artbooks. Was like "WTF" when I was flipping through the pages of that book at age 16.

Beth Cyra

It's not like I'm making shit up. I just find it strange that certain people are so disgusted by K-ON being "pedo" when Sailor Moon features younger characters and portrays them in a more sexualized fashion. I realize that this viewpoint is not going to win me any friends in this thread where everyone is excited about the new Sailor Moon anime, but that's okay. I also don't care whether or not Sailor Moon is sexualized beyond this very specific argument; I'm more interested in finding out why someone would think K-ON is "pedo" but Sailor Moon isn't. Is it just the artstyle? Is it okay to have middle school girls in fetishy outfits because they're drawn all lanky looking?

Or the fact that Sailor Moon regularly deals with very serious stuff like death, destiny, loss, and parenting?

Also last time I checked one of the big gimicks in Sailor Moon wasn't torturing one of the characters and have an entire ending of an episode dedicated to showing the panties of said girl.

Man that promo image looks crazy good. Really like the concept of the manga art animated.

Ehh...you mean in the anime, right? If not...I've got news for you because there's a totally official, very much sexualized topless image of Serena/Usagi drawn by Takeuchi for one of her artbooks. Was like "WTF" when I was flipping through the pages of that book at age 16.

Yes, I clarified the Anime.

I've seen that book, if you mean the one with Offical Art of Minako and Usagi being in lesbian fashion much more so then she ever drew her actual Lesbian characters. Still shocked by that one.

I don't think K-On is pedo, I just think they guy was a bit creepy about it. But mainly I think people associate the tallness of the characters with being over 18, they also want to justify why they were attracted to these characters as children and have fond memories of those feelings now.

The Sailor Moon world has just exploded. The key visual is just beautiful. <3

I didn't notice until I read somewhere else but the C in crystal looks like a crescent moon.

He plays a role in all of the arcs.

Also depending on the version Mars is just as helpful as Jupiter. Granted the Anime skews things because they take shit that Minako and Jupiter did for Usagi/Moon and roll it all into Mars character.

Honestly I found the Ass stuff to be just as odd as your K-On stuff.

I didn't even think about her backside, I just noticed the hair, her face being similar to the Manga and the Silver Crystal. It wasn't until I scrolled through the thread I even remembered she had an ass.
Mars was always my favorite. Im not sure how the manga handled their personalities but I noticed they fleshed Mina's personality out quite a bit more in later seasons to more of a perfectionist, OCD, Type a personality.

PKrockin

Well, uh... yes? That's sort of how I feel about it. They could say they're 4000 years old, all that matters is what they look and act like, and it's subjective, but Sailor Moon characters look older than 14 to me. K-ON characters don't.

I haven't seen the show, frankly I'm kind of surprised so many people are excited for it.

Capella

It looks so good and I can't wait. I'm really interested to see how they do transformation and attack sequences this time around or if they will be similar to the original anime at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom