• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Image of the new Sailor Moon Anime Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want to call Monster Monpiece pedo, that's totally fine, but come on. K-on isn't even close to pedo. There's like no sexualization and the characters are in their late teens. It's more comparable to something like My Little Pony than other perverted stuff that comes out of Japan. That's probably why it's so damn boring.

Sailor Moon on the other hand has implied underage sex and other stuff to satiate this den of perverts.

They're canonically older than they look is my favorite defense.

You want to call Monster Monpiece pedo, that's totally fine, but come on. K-on isn't even close to pedo. There's like no sexualization and the characters are in their late teens. It's more comparable to something like My Little Pony than other perverted stuff that comes out of Japan. That's probably why it's so damn boring.

Sailor Moon on the other hand has implied underage sex and other stuff to satiate this den of perverts.

Huh? It's boring because the teenagers aren't sexualized enough?

They're canonically older than they look is my favorite defense.

They look like high schoolers, or older middle schoolers at the youngest. There are old characters that look young all over the medium, but I wouldn't put the K-on cast in that category.

Huh? It's boring because the teenagers aren't sexualized enough?

That was in reference to it being comparable to MLP. It's mindless slice of life with no conflict and boring humor.

But hey, some people like that, which is why it's so popular.

andymcc

Banned
I've only glanced over K-On! manga before, but I don't remember anything that creepy or hyper-sexualized in it. I just remember it being a kind of boring slice of life style story.

is it the anime and the merchandising for the series is where the real sexualization happens? or are the fans just REALLY into it (not unlike MLP fans)?

Prax

I've only glanced over K-On! manga before, but I don't remember anything that creepy or hyper-sexualized in it. I just remember it being a kind of boring slice of life style story.

is it the anime and the merchandising for the series is where the real sexualization happens? or are the fans just REALLY into it (not unlike MLP fans)?

Yes.

But also the creators foster the K-on stuff at least a little by making the girls' movements and animation very, very focused on sensuality. You may hear some kind of fluidity defense force behind that, but I know better. lol It's all about "appeal".

By jacking up the weird appeal factor (they are all kind of dopey overly naive cutie babies with touchy feely emphasis) and "keeping it clean/never show boys interacting with the girls", you create an air of purity/innocence that still somehow riles the "defend/defile" feelings of people who naturally get more obsessed about that kind of thing (see also: Idol culture).
I think the art is really cute too, but there's a lot of.. meta-culture surrounding it that is just kind of icky. And unlike MLP, I think the creators actively look to foster it.
And I actually think of K-On as a series made for boys to oggle at how cute girls are more than any female would actually enjoy. But that's just my own sense (plus I hate that it's a brainless bland going nowhere story lol).
On the opposite spectrum, if you have seen anything of Free! -- that's pretty much K-On for girls (or guys who also like dudes lol). And for similar reasons, I can't watch that drivel either.

Sailormoon on the other hand always seemed actually aimed for GIRLS as the audience, and the entire appeal is different as the characters become more self-insert/identity material. Boys can still oggle or whatever, but all the characters kind of have their own romance arcs so the ability for the audience to "own" them is less pronounced.
And Pretty Cure is aimed at a younger female audience, but it's the same. You wanna be the girls and play dressup and own their obviously-for-merchanising-purposes gear, and while there are hugs and maybe comedy slapstick/MAYBE clothing malfunction, it never feels like it's for fanservice of a male audience.

I am typing too many words because Sailormoon. lol

andymcc

Banned
Yes.

But also the creators foster the K-on stuff at least a little by making the girls' movements and animation very, very focused on sensuality. You may hear some kind of fluidity defense force behind that, but I know better. lol It's all about "appeal".

By jacking up the weird appeal factor (they are all kind of dopey overly naive cutie babies with touchy feely emphasis) and "keeping it clean/never show boys interacting with the girls", you create an air of purity/innocence that still somehow riles the "defend/defile" feelings of people who naturally get more obsessed about that kind of thing (see also: Idol culture).
I think the art is really cute too, but there's a lot of.. meta-culture surrounding it that is just kind of icky. And unlike MLP, I think the creators actively look to foster it.
And I actually think of K-On as a series made for boys to oggle at how cute girls are more than any female would actually enjoy. But that's just my own sense (plus I hate that it's a brainless bland going nowhere story lol).
On the opposite spectrum, if you have seen anything of Free! -- that's pretty much K-On for girls (or guys who also like dudes lol). And for similar reasons, I can't watch that drivel either.

Sailormoon on the other hand always seemed actually aimed for GIRLS as the audience, and the entire appeal is different as the characters become more self-insert/identity material. Boys can still oggle or whatever, but all the characters kind of have their own romance arcs so the ability for the audience to "own" them is less pronounced.
And Pretty Cure is aimed at a younger female audience, but it's the same. You wanna be the girls and play dressup and own their obviously-for-merchanising-purposes gear, and while there are hugs and maybe comedy slapstick/MAYBE clothing malfunction, it never feels like it's for fanservice of a male audience.

I am typing too many words because Sailormoon. lol

Great summation. Thanks.

I remember having this discussion about K-On!! and Japan's "purity culture" with a friend of mine a couple years back and this has stirred up some old memories lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
It lives!

Quick! Someone ressurect S.O.S. !!

But why "Crystal"? I know the silver crystal is super important an stuff in the first series but it makes me wonder what they'll call the next arc if it get animated. PGSM Crystal R? Noooo!

btw I still dream of a Sailor V ova! Give it a Gundam Unicorn-esque budget an I'll buy all the Minako merchandise forever @_@

How the hell did a Sailor Moon thread turn to this?
Dunno! Was gonna say the first couple pages of this thread was awful but it looks like its more then just those! Gotta find me that SM community thread an hope its a safer place >.<;

Zoe

It lives!

Quick! Someone ressurect S.O.S. !!

But why "Crystal"? I know the silver crystal is super important an stuff in the first series but it makes me wonder what they'll call the next arc if it get animated. PGSM Crystal R? Noooo!

All sailors in the universe have crystals. Maybe they'll go all the way.

They don't really need to name the seasons. There are 52 chapters that could easily fit into less than a year.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
All sailors in the universe have crystals. Maybe they'll go all the way.

They don't really need to name the seasons. There are 52 chapters that could easily fit into less than a year.
That's true but it still feels like a weird title to me! It's like... Sailor Moon: Crystal Version! lol. A title befitting a game based on the series. To be released on 3DS only and never localized ;_;

An ya they could plop the whole series out in a year or less but would they? Even staying closer to the source material I'd expect there to be some "original" episodes to pad length/develop or spotlight characters in ways other then just what the manga showed. Breaking 'em up into seasons lets 'em do fancy new intro's/endings with the latest idols and crank out new toys based on each parts powersups an stuff. Guess we'll just have to wait an see what their plans are!

tumblr_n231apF0rk1qi25lto1_500.gif

As others have said, Tuxedo Mask is the best! I'm really curious to see what he'll look like in this new show.

Now, for a serious question: what is Niconico?

Why is keion always mentioned when talking about anime pedos. Keion is the nearly the least sexual slice of life there, second only to Sketchbook. Even Kimi to Boku is more sexual than Keion.

I don't see how it seems valuable as a point of reference when discussing what is obviously a much more feministically nuanced Ikuhara show.

squidyj

He plays a role in all of the arcs.

Also depending on the version Mars is just as helpful as Jupiter. Granted the Anime skews things because they take shit that Minako and Jupiter did for Usagi/Moon and roll it all into Mars character.

Honestly I found the Ass stuff to be just as odd as your K-On stuff.

I didn't even think about her backside, I just noticed the hair, her face being similar to the Manga and the Silver Crystal. It wasn't until I scrolled through the thread I even remembered she had an ass.

without commenting on maschinen being an incredibly creepy dude I will say that while the framing of the ass remark was crude... I look at the line of her legs and I wonder... where IS her ass? not like "why doesn't she have a nice round butt" but more like "anatomically, does it even exist? these lines don't seem to match up" Basically that picture just looks really weird to me now because it seems like the legs go on and just sort of merge in at her waist in an unsettlingly weird manner.

Edit: actually maybe it's just the bow messing with my head

ZoddGutts

Good design. Looks a bit like the manga but not a direct copy and paste either. lol at the off topic in this thread though. Sometimes people don't know when to shut up and only makes themselves look worse.

Superflat

without commenting on maschinen being an incredibly creepy dude I will say that while the framing of the ass remark was crude... I look at the line of her legs and I wonder... where IS her ass? not like "why doesn't she have a nice round butt" but more like "anatomically, does it even exist? these lines don't seem to match up" Basically that picture just looks really weird to me now because it seems like the legs go on and just sort of merge in at her waist in an unsettlingly weird manner.

Yea, it just looked like a badly drawn area to me. But maybe that's the style it's always been for the series. ALL LEGS.

Why is keion always mentioned when talking about anime pedos. Keion is the nearly the least sexual slice of life there, second only to Sketchbook. Even Kimi to Boku is more sexual than Keion.

I don't see how it seems valuable as a point of reference when discussing what is obviously a much more feministically nuanced Ikuhara show.

Well stuff like this doesn't do it any favors in the eyes of onlookers.
ihO9BjHdhqbAy.gif

K-on isn't a show for girls or anything deeper, its otaku-bait for them to ogle at pure innocent moe girls doing boring stuff.

Oh yeah, that is some first grade whoring right there.

It's a comedy slice of life with moe girls, how thematically complex do people expect it to be? It's still an excellently achieved show whose second season excelled in thousands of ways that are still unrivaled by its genre peers.

Onamonapenia

Neo Member
Man fuck Sailor Moon I had a friend growing up who made me watch that stupid fucking show every time I went over to the point where I just stopped going over because I hated it so much. Never play video games, just Sailor Moon. Fuck that noise.

They look like high schoolers, or older middle schoolers at the youngest. There are old characters that look young all over the medium, but I wouldn't put the K-on cast in that category.

That was in reference to it being comparable to MLP. It's mindless slice of life with no conflict and boring humor.

But hey, some people like that, which is why it's so popular.

Like high schoolers...? Not even close. I'm sorry, but they look (and act) like elementary or early middle schoolers at most.

APc21VOl.jpg

Soft, featureless baby faces? Check.
Kiddy poses/positioning? Check.
Child-like tendencies in their mannerisms? Check.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of series without problems of their own, but K-on is moe-blob glorification of exaggerated 'innocence', and that includes their body designs.

Prax said it better, though:

Yes.

So yes, when people make sexual comments about "dem hips" for this kind of show, it is incredibly creepy.

Branduil

Because it's popular enough that non-anime watchers know it's name, unlike much creepier but more obscure series. That's really the main reason.

Oh yeah, that is some first grade whoring right there.

It's a comedy slice of life with moe girls, how thematically complex do people expect it to be? It's still an excellently achieved show whose second season excelled in thousands of ways that are still unrivaled by its genre peers.

Well when you mentioned Ikuhara you certainly implied K-on to be more than what it is lol

Otaku-bait shows are automatically shit to me so it being "better" than the others doesn't mean much.

Branduil

It's funny how a show like K-on gets far more crap than, say, Kill la Kill. Even though Kill la Kill is 100 times more guilty of whatever people think happens in K-on, it's not casually used as an insult or insinuation in the same manner. It almost seems like what people really have a problem with is the slice-of-life genre rather than fanservice/pandering, as if wanting to watch a show about high school girls in a band is automatically more suspect than wanting to watch a show where high school girls violently battle each other while nearly nude.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny how a show like K-on gets far more crap than, say, Kill la Kill. Even though Kill la Kill is 100 times more guilty of whatever people think happens in K-on, it's not casually used as an insult or insinuation in the same manner. It almost seems like what people really have a problem with is the slice-of-life genre rather than fanservice/pandering, as if wanting to watch a show about high school girls in a band is automatically more suspect than wanting to watch a show where high school girls violently battle each other while nearly nude.
It's not the pedo stuff that riles people up. It's the secretly pedo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes.

All I really have to add to this is that innocence fetishism is totally a thing and I have stared into its paradoxical abyss.

Branduil

It's not the pedo stuff that riles people up. It's the secretly pedo.

That's why I feel there's a certain unspoken genre-bias in those kinds of posts. It's as if they're thinking "well, they can't possibly be interested in the 'boring' story of that show, so they must be..." Fans of a show like Kill la Kill aren't viewed in the same light, because of the wacky plot and action, which causes people to give them much more of a benefit of the doubt, even though it seems to me that a "secret" pervert would find much more to like in a show like Kill la Kill.

Just googled Kill la Kill, the characters don't look like they're helpless 12 year olds. That's what makes stuff like K-on creepy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kill la Kill has its own problems (I'd probably describe its designs as "tacky" mostly) but there's at least a degree of self-awareness to how ridiculous it is even for japanese character design

Branduil

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Kill la Kill is objectively creepier in how it depicts underaged girls, but people are willing to excuse it in ways they aren't the much tamer show like K-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom