• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Image of the new Sailor Moon Anime Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Perhaps this will be the post that summons him.

creep012-powerpuff-girls.jpg

cj_iwakura

My favorite will always be Mercury, especially when you see her character evolve in Stars and realize there is a LOT more to her than she lets on.

CorvoSol

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Kill la Kill is objectively creepier in how it depicts underaged girls, but people are willing to excuse it in ways they aren't the much tamer show like K-on.

So, while I still disagree with Branduil's point that particular element of KLK a is meant to be enjoyed by anyone and not deliberately trying to make people feel creeped out by it, From what I have seen of K-On, which I suppose is decidedly little, isn't it a relatively safe show about a group of teenage girls wanting to form a band? Hardly seems like the sort of thing which should be bearing the burden of "creepy" as opposed to the show that has teenage girls parading about in skivvies or less to fight one another--which has been around for basically all of anime's history anyway.

But I mean, I knew teenage girls who tried to form bands and stuff. I didn't feel creepy about that.

It's entirely possible for them to be creepy in different ways.

I can agree to this, because I don't know much about K-On. It's certainly within the realm of things possible, but my scant knowledge of the show is that it's fairly harmless.

I dunno. I always kinda feel like there's a tendency to overblow issues when it comes to anime.

Don't do what? Last year I was watching some random episodes on youtube and honestly if you cut out the fighting part, you have pretty much K-on with a few long ass dudes wandering around and babbling nonsense. Just cut out of an epsiode everything supernatural and you have a slice of life show.

Sailor Moon was K-On of the 90s. Like it or not. Therefore the K-On artstyle, which is fantastic btw, would fit perfect to the show. As you can see, the whole fact that I can insert Sailor Moon + K-On in google and getting dozens of results leads to the conclusion that I wasn't the only one expecting a more moe approach.

Terrible design. I hated the manga design too. The original anime series had a great design. For the new show I was hoping more for something like this:

It would have fit so perfect to the show and overall feel. Also they should have ditched the whole magic thing and just concentrate on Usagi being moe and Rei being hot as hell etc.
Wtf is this k-on shit doing in this thread

Anyway, I'm actually pretty excited that the show is coming back. I have a couple of friends who were huge Sailor Moon fangirls back in the day. They even had the toys like the Crescent Moon Wand. It should be a nice trip down memory lane, course I kind of doubt they'd watch the Japanese version.

Probably won't be any roses in this version.

He doesn't use roses in the manga? I've never read the manga (only saw the show when I was little) but I'm wondering just how different the manga is from the show.

I dunno. I always kinda feel like there's a tendency to overblow issues when it comes to anime.

Anime seems to be one of those punching bags that gets attention every now and then in off topic.

That quote directly brings to mind that Miyazaki thread where people took the statement he made and completely misrepresented it to justify their bashing.

So, while I still disagree with Branduil's point that particular element of KLK a is meant to be enjoyed by anyone and not deliberately trying to make people feel creeped out by it, From what I have seen of K-On, which I suppose is decidedly little, isn't it a relatively safe show about a group of teenage girls wanting to form a band? Hardly seems like the sort of thing which should be bearing the burden of "creepy" as opposed to the show that has teenage girls parading about in skivvies or less to fight one another--which has been around for basically all of anime's history anyway.

But I mean, I knew teenage girls who tried to form bands and stuff. I didn't feel creepy about that.

It is pretty much a group of girls wanting to form a band.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a group of girls eating cake.

Toad.T

Banned
I do like how it looks more like the Manga, but I don't want it to be a straight-up retelling of the source material. The original length of this arc is about 4-5ish chapters (Or about 12-15 DBZ length chapters) and unless they have a ton of mood-establishing shots and drag out the dialogue, they're going to burn through it really quick. You can't really have multiple arcs in something like this either, as the title specifically refers to the Silver Imperium Moon Silver Moon Impereal silver crystal that the plot revolves around. (Are they going to do that with other arcs too? Like, Sailor Moon Kingdom, Sailor Moon Chalice, Sailor Moon Dreams and so on?)

There's got to be filler to stretch it all out. Hopefully it's good-quality filler, though.

If an English dub does come out, please don't make Serena/Usagi sound like she did in S. I can't stand any more of that grating noise.

Zoe

He doesn't use roses in the manga? I've never read the manga (only saw the show when I was little) but I'm wondering just how different the manga is from the show.

He has an energy-beam type attack later on, but for the most part he doesn't do much other than just swooping in.

Satch

Banned
These Queens<3

My ranking from favourite to least favourite:
Uranus
Jupiter
Neptune
Saturn
Pluto
Sailor Moon & Sailor Mercury

All the other senshi are shit tier and not worth mentioning but I especially hate Chibiusa.
no mars

your one flaw

We have a Sailor Moon community thread? huh

Excited for this, been reading the manga after Kodansha finally gave it a decent release (really need to get the rest)

Really hope the delay on this anime has been to try and give it a bit more meat though. I still kind of like the anime more as I think it had more room for character building I think.

Oddly really fond of Chibiusa, I think I kind of relate to her best....though I did find Super S a bit too much. We get it, the pegasus really likes Chibiusa, can we stop trying to find beautiful dreams now??

I've never seen Stars, maybe one day I'll rectify that

NeonZ

I do like how it looks more like the Manga, but I don't want it to be a straight-up retelling of the source material. The original length of this arc is about 4-5ish chapters (Or about 12-15 DBZ length chapters) and unless they have a ton of mood-establishing shots and drag out the dialogue, they're going to burn through it really quick. You can't really have multiple arcs in something like this either, as the title specifically refers to the Silver Imperium Moon Silver Moon Impereal silver crystal that the plot revolves around. (Are they going to do that with other arcs too? Like, Sailor Moon Kingdom, Sailor Moon Chalice, Sailor Moon Dreams and so on?)

I could see Toei just rushing through this. There doesn't seem to be any new big toyline for children prepared by Bandai, and Bandai likely wouldn't have much interest in that either because they already have Pretty Cure. Her design staying the same also indicates that Bandai had no influence there.

This show likely is targeting people who are already fans of the Sailor Moon franchise, not trying to take the same position that the original tv series had. Considering that, something that attempts to stay close to the original source and doesn't last too long is fairly likely.

akaoni

Banned
I was much closer to the arrival of the full team than I thought, 1.5 chapters away.
Uranus kissing Usagi caught me way off guard, personality download complete.
I've just ordered the 2nd box set because non-physical sucks and might be worsening the eye strain, but now I have to wait until Wednesday. ;_;

cajunator

Banned
Like high schoolers...? Not even close. I'm sorry, but they look (and act) like elementary or early middle schoolers at most.

APc21VOl.jpg

Soft, featureless baby faces? Check.
Kiddy poses/positioning? Check.
Child-like tendencies in their mannerisms? Check.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of series without problems of their own, but K-on is moe-blob glorification of exaggerated 'innocence', and that includes their body designs.

Prax said it better, though:

So yes, when people make sexual comments about "dem hips" for this kind of show, it is incredibly creepy.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Theyre so cute I love those girls &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;
*bounces

Think she means Hito, since he's the one who defends her as a character the most.
Yes.
dear sweet god no

*jumps out a window*
The Baikal lies dormant, we are safe.
I can agree to this, because I don't know much about K-On. It's certainly within the realm of things possible, but my scant knowledge of the show is that it's fairly harmless.

In the past I've defended K-On! in a limited capacity, I don't think it is all that deserving of ire either. Though Prax is right that it directly and intentionally appeals to a creepy segment of the audience. Some of the merchandise and promotional materials drive that point home. But it does appeal to a broader audience as well.

CorvoSol

In the past I've defended K-On! in a limited capacity, I don't think it is all that deserving of ire either. Though Prax is right that it directly and intentionally appeals to a creepy segment of the audience. Some of the merchandise and promotional materials drive that point home. But it does appeal to a broader audience as well.

Well, I dunno that there should be that much punishment for a show because some of it appeals to some of the audience. I mean, I don't think just because Adventure Time pandered to MarcelinexPB's fanatical audience the show should be branded for it.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Sailor Moon is the reason I'm still alive today. I find the artwork to be gorgeous and I'll wait anxiously the first episode,

Like high schoolers...? Not even close. I'm sorry, but they look (and act) like elementary or early middle schoolers at most.

APc21VOl.jpg

Soft, featureless baby faces? Check.
Kiddy poses/positioning? Check.
Child-like tendencies in their mannerisms? Check.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of series without problems of their own, but K-on is moe-blob glorification of exaggerated 'innocence', and that includes their body designs.

Prax said it better, though:

"there's a lot of.. meta-culture surrounding it that is just kind of icky. And unlike MLP, I think the creators actively look to foster it."

So yes, when people make sexual comments about "dem hips" for this kind of show, it is incredibly creepy.

It's really sad to see fairly blatant attempts at this in the Trails/Kiseki series.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I dunno that there should be that much punishment for a show because some of it appeals to some of the audience. I mean, I don't think just because Adventure Time pandered to MarcelinexPB's fanatical audience the show should be branded for it.

The difference between a show implying a longing between two characters and pandering to hebephiles/ pedophiles is night and day though.

And I may be mistaken, but the subtle references that Marceline was a lesbian started really early and wasn't driven by fan drivel.

Eh, I want to say I've seen middle schoolers/high schoolers like that, but sometimes it's hard quantify a real life age when looking at a drawing.

I will say after seeing high schoolers for the first time in like 5 years the other day, they are friggin TINY. That could just be me getting old though.

But yeah, at least Asuza (or whatever her name is) looks like a kid most of the time.

I guess it all comes down to how we define "moe-blob" and how the art style displays it. Sometimes I'd find it totally believable for certain moe-blob characters to be high school students, while other times they don't even look human.

I don't know about actually fostering that kind of view though. I'd probably be more likely to use the word "tolerate" since anything beyond what the creators have flat out stated (which IIRC isn't anything regarding stuff the fans do) would be an assumption. Of course, it's not like any manga/anime/LN creators have any say in the manner, considering the fans will do that kind of stuff to everything that doesn't have an ounce of sexual intent.

Also, you work at Xseed! Shouldn't you be kind of used to that stuff :p

Tiny? Most high schoolers tower over me, so my impression is probably at odds with yours there.

I worked in Japan for three years and even though some high schoolers would try to affect the more cutesy speech and mannerisms, they did not ever approach the levels that K-on goes for (looks or behavior). The only time I saw that kind of kiddy stuff 'naturally' was at Elementary because they are actually that young. But, looks aside, the 'moe-blob' style isn't just an art style thing. It's that intentional and pandering cultivation of 'innocence' which tends toward characters that are "dopey overly naive cutie babies with touchy feely emphasis." Like Femmworth said, Kill la Kill and K-on can both be creepy, just in different ways. I just personally find K-On's more disturbing because the emphasis is on those kiddy aspects specifically. I don't doubt many do watch K-On with no ulterior motives other than they enjoy the bland, cuteness, but whenever I do see K-On stuff come up, it's usually from guys that follow it with "mai waifu" or shit like "dem hips." I'm sure you can, therefore, understand why the general reaction of people to K-On seems to be one of disgust.

And, just because I'm used to it at work (not that I am there in a permanent position any longer), doesn't mean I like it.

It's really sad to see fairly blatant attempts at this in the Trails/Kiseki series.

Which stuff? I know some people have suggested
Agate/Tita
stuff, or is this somthing from TC?

Tiny? Most high schoolers tower over me, so my impression is probably at odds with yours there.

I worked in Japan for three years and even though some high schoolers would try to affect the more cutesy speech and mannerisms, they did not ever approach the levels that K-on goes for (looks or behavior). The only time I saw that kind of kiddy stuff 'naturally' was at Elementary because they are actually that young. But, looks aside, the 'moe-blob' style isn't just an art style thing. It's that intentional and pandering cultivation of 'innocence' which tends toward characters that are "dopey overly naive cutie babies with touchy feely emphasis." Like Femmworth said, Kill la Kill and K-on can both be creepy, just in different ways. I just personally find K-On's more disturbing because the emphasis is on those kiddy aspects specifically. I don't doubt many do watch K-On with no ulterior motives other than they enjoy the bland, cuteness, but whenever I do see K-On stuff come up, it's usually from guys that follow it with "mai waifu" or shit like "dem hips." I'm sure you can, therefore, understand why the general reaction of people to K-On seems to be one of disgust.

And, just because I'm used to it at work (not that I am there in a permanent position any longer), doesn't mean I like it.

If you say so. Seems you're more knowledgeable about the subject than I am. I guess I just think of stuff like Potemayo as being "moe-blob" more than K-on, which looking at in a sexualized way seems odd to me because it's nothing resembling any kind of living creature. I always associated finding characters like that cute with finding puppies or whatever cute, but obviously not everyone is going to share my thoughts on this stuff even if I actually did care for moe.

I'm also not a big guy by any means, standing at only 5'6, so there being such small high schoolers might just be the area or something.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I'm slow, I just noticed the 4 inner planets in the background. So that means it's a given for Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Venus for season 1R.

Probably didn't help that the same guy posted an ass-shaking gif.

Sooo, who is your least favorite/worse Sailor?

Jupiter > Uranus > Mars > Mercury >>>>>>>>>>everyone else >>>>>> Moon

Moon is the worst of everything. Life, basically.

I think it's referring to the newest Trails game and its art design. It seems a little pandering.

Oh, maybe. If it's 'pandering' in general to Japanese school uniform lovers, I could see it. Haven't really thought about the later stuff much, though, to be honest.

If you say so. Seems you're more knowledgeable about the subject than I am. I guess I just think of stuff like Potemayo as being "moe-blob" more than K-on, which looking at in a sexualized way seems odd to me because it's nothing resembling any kind of living creature. I always associated finding characters like that cute with finding puppies or whatever cute, but obviously not everyone is going to share my thoughts on this stuff even if I actually did care for moe.

I had to look up Potemayo ('Potato-Mayonnaise'?), and yeah, art-wise speaking, that is more 'blob'-like, but the term moe-blob also seems to include character types/story. From all accounts (I've only seen bits of episodes here and there) K-On in general is very blob-y (bland, soft in terms of personalities/story, the art is very edge-less for characters, etc.), so it falls under that. And I'd agree that it's hard to imagine how (or why?) people would sexualize something like Potemayo, but K-On's characters aren't so deformed that they don't resemble living creatures. So, you might see cute like one would puppies, but that's not what I tend to hear from the K-On fans when they do chime in, something this thread highlighted pretty clearly. *shrug*

cajunator

Banned
K-On is just super cute awesome happy bouncy funtime. I try to live my life with that philosophy.
Theres nothing creepy about it.

Prax

thank you anyone who had validated my opinions so I don't feel like I am totally off base

Read what you typed. Gosh. "Punishment" of this innocent show. Haha!
I am half-joking.
BUT I AM ALSO HALF SERIOUS.
The show consciously side-panders to a certain.. probably questionably unhealthy.. demographic. You can like it for being cute too. I did watch the entire first season to see if it went anywhere and I like cute things and good animation. And well. You all know my judgement in the end.

People are just extra squicked by that thought of pandering innocence and cuteness for fetish purposes (plus you add in the infantilization and you are a step away from loli/pedo fetish stuff). I don't think even if Adventure Time pandered to MarcyPB shippers it would even be on the same wavelength of "these are just cute innocent girls sharing feels and hugs but let's keep watching and obsessing" because the characters themselves have been built to have a higher sense of awareness, agency, and have past romance backstory (PB kicking the crap out of a simping creeper, and Marceline has/had some douchey boyfriend too, right?).
As for Kill la Kill (which I also decided not to watch due to different types of pandering), the thing about that show is that the pandering is explicit, self-aware, and the show in general is.. I want to say "jaded". Most people who watch know they are watching something that will shock or pander and it doesn't pretend to be innocent (though yes, it also jumps the shark or crosses even lines fans thought it wouldn't >_> ). Moe-blob shows have a very specific element of insincerity to them (I thought I was just watching boring/dramatic/insert-moe-trope-girl-personality but well-animated/cute/pure girls, but turns out it's perfectly distilled otaku-bait lol), and some people feel extra insulted if they feel like they are being deceived. And even if I could appreciate it for just "what it is" without paying attention to possible pandering, there's still the insult of it being so bland and boring gaddam why don't any of you girls actually DO anything significant. GARGh.

If the actual creators of MLP focused more on pony friendships being about sensual hugs or giggles or characters causing each other to blush out of embarrassment and highlighted clothing or subtle curves specifically for the audience to appreciate how cute they all are instead of plot advancement, believe me, there would be similar if not more disdain. But as a show that is aimed for little girls to self-identify with more than audience appreciation/objectification, it has a totally different appeal (not that some fans haven't created things to do the exact opposite lol man.. fandoms..).

AS FOR SAILORMOONNN~~~

Mars (probably weakness for tsundere/fiery types because I wanna be badass jerks like them) > Uranus > Jupiter = Neptune = Mercury = Venus = Pluto > Saturn (tainted by high association with Chibimoon lol) > Moon = Chibimoon > [Starlights who cares about them what losers]

I generally dislike main characters due to perceived Mary-Sueness. But Moon in particular (and Saturn a bit) also appeals to purity and bleh. I am not into that (they are probably most stereotypically moe in appeal haha -- especially as all the scouts are always sacrificing their butts to protect them because they are both fragile and pure but also the most supreme in strength and pure heart or whatever bs lol). I am kinda jaded/cynical, so I cannot stands main characters who are borderline incompetent but pulls through because of the "power of love"/pure innocent naive heart. I raged harder with Fushigi Yugi though because Miaka was like the ONLY protag girl to root for (unless you wanted to root for her deluded friend) and they were both just the worst. Ugh.

In manga form, Usagi/Moon may be even more unbearable than the anime too. If any of you has seen the live action and Princess Serenity's ENDLESS "Endymion"ing, you will know why I may dislike her so. Which is why I will be cautiously optimistic with this faithful remake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom