• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look At Koei Tecmo Attack On Titan

Justified

Famitsu has gone up with a new online preview of Koei Tecmo and Omega Force’s Attack on Titan game for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita.

The preview highlights the game’s “tactical hunting action where you can move around freely while thinking strategically.” On the field, cannons are installed on the castle gates, and since there are a variety of weapons and ammunition stored in the warehouse, you’ll be able to fight utilizing them in battle, too.

Attack on Titan is being developed with PlayStation 4 as its lead platform. It’s due out worldwide in 2016, with Japan specifically targeting a winter release.

Attack-on-Titan_Fami-shot_08-19-15_001.jpg
Attack-on-Titan_Fami-shot_08-19-15_002.jpg
Attack-on-Titan_Fami-shot_08-19-15_003.jpg
Attack-on-Titan_Fami-shot_08-19-15_004.jpg

game’s main mode will cover the story of the entire 2013 anime, and a number of scenarios that place the spotlight on popular characters are also being developed.

game features

(1) Tactical Hunting Action

In a cruel battlefield where the state of battle is constantly changing, the result of the player’s strategy has a direct connection to moving forward. In a game that offers high tactical freedom, the thrill of hunting action and fighting giant bosses are fused together to provide a new sense of battle never seen before in a video game. Depending on the tactical situation, you can proceed slowly and carefully or challenge the titan without warning. The player’s actions affect the direction of battle in a big way. This is hunting action in a new form.

(2) 3D Maneuverability and Body Part Destruction

Players can make full use of the 3D Maneuver Gear to zip freely around the sky and battle titans. By using type of action, you can rush quickly to companions in a pinch, and at times, it will attract the attention of enemies and they’ll run through the battlefield. In order to defeat a titan, it is necessary to attack its “nape.” To do this, you’ll need to attack from high altitudes and defeat titans by first destroying body parts like arms and legs, and then driving your blade into the titan’s nape. With this introduction of body part destruction, a higher level of strategic action is added to the game.

(3) Battlefield Drama Unfolds Across Vast Stages

Just like the original work, each character has a purpose and fights titans on a vast battlefield, and the state of battle rapidly changes according to this. Additionally, there will be changes within the city, such as walls and roofs collapsing as a result of battle, and it may affect the range of action players can take. The state of battle is constantly changing and the feeling of tension is high. A large number of scenarios that place the spotlight on popular characters are being prepared to develop the game’s dramatic story. It should appeal strongly to fans of the original work.

(4) Relive the Epic Story With High-End Graphics

In this game, players will relive the deep story of the Attack on Titan anime. Characters such as Eren, Mikasa, and so on that were key to the original story will appear, of course, and their voice actors are the same as they were in the anime. Additionally, the “Physics Toon Shader,” the game’s newly developed graphical representation, offers original graphics with the theme of “fusing the anime world and game world.” As a result, you can play the game feeling like you’re freely controlling a character in the anime.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201508/20086182.html
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/first-look-koei-tecmo-attack-titan

An Attack on Titan game has so much of potential. There's the fan made flash game that's already pretty fun. I really want to see a big budget game nail it. They already flubbed the official 3DS game, so here's to hoping they get it right on PS4.

ngower

Still need to see this in motion. This is a game that has an incredibly simple concept that they need to get right—the core of the game will revolve around the combat. Was it Spiderman 2 on PS2 that got the swinging mechanic so perfect? Hope for something similar...it should just feel good going from Titan to Titan.

Fury451

Banned
Looks great visually.

But this is one you need to see in motion because that's kind of the whole point of the gear. Hope the gameplay is good, because I love the team behind it even if I'm lukewarm on the property.

Gamerloid

Looks perfectly like the manga/anime (well...obviously more than the anime, because the manga art is shit)

Manga > Anime

Rough gone matches the style of the series. The art vastly improved since the beginning.

I'm still wondering why Mikasa is pretty in the anime when they live in such a poor world. Manga she looks like an awesome warrior.

Pejo

This could really be great if they can capture the feeling of zipping around like that Spiderman 2 game for PS2. I hope the combat is good.

ultron87

The heavy motion blur on the maneuver gear shots make me worry it is a canned animation point to point thing and the free form stuff I desperately want it to be.

Illucio

Banned
I just hope they have a online multiplayer mode with a ton of options of how you and your friends or just random people want to play.

Everyone is a Titan and there is 1 soldier

1 Titan and a bunch of soldiers

Hide n'seek, Soldiers hide, while Titan seeks.

Titan Brawl match

Soldier Brawl Match

Race to the finish

... There is so much they could do.

Chariot

I just hope they have a online multiplayer mode with a ton of options of how you and your friends or just random people want to play.

Everyone is a Titan and there is 1 soldier

1 Titan and a bunch of soldiers

Hide n'seek, Soldiers hide, while Titan seeks.

Titan Brawl match

Soldier Brawl Match

Race to the finish

... There is so much they could do.
Titan Kart!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So if you're playing as Eren do you have to fail missions in a particularly specific way in order to clear a level, or does just any manner of failure count?

Vex_

Banned
Manga > Anime

Rough gone matches the style of the series. The art vastly improved since the beginning.

I'm still wondering why Mikasa is pretty in the anime when they live in such a poor world. Manga she looks like an awesome warrior.

uummm....

-Horizon-

Still need to see this in motion. This is a game that has an incredibly simple concept that they need to get right—the core of the game will revolve around the combat. Was it Spiderman 2 on PS2 that got the swinging mechanic so perfect? Hope for something similar...it should just feel good going from Titan to Titan.
Yep. Pretty much how I feel. The game can look 1:1 with the anime for all I care, I need to see how they work out the 3D maneuver gear.

Fbh

Well the looks are there. Now lets see the gameplay

So if you're playing as Eren do you have to fail missions in a particularly specific way in order to clear a level, or does just any manner of failure count?

Don't know about Eren but the game comes with a USB microphone to do lenghty monologues which are needed to complete the Armin levels.

wmlk

Not a fan. It's like they just have a static image of the sky during the Trost invasion or some other part of the anime. That Mikasa shot it weird.

The 3DMG will obviously make or break this.

wwm0nkey

Just let the gameplay be good. Dropped out of the hype hard for this anime but a game focused around the 3DMG could be really fun even if I dislike the show/manga

DarkKyo

Looks perfectly like the manga/anime (well...obviously more than the anime, because the manga art is shit)

Don't even go there... the anime is good for visualizing cool spinny attacks from characters like Levi or Mikasa, but overall I prefer the visceral look of the manga. The art style fits the feel of the story quite well IMO.

Alx

That looks promising. I thought the anime became boring fast, but there is definitely something to be done with the action sequences in a video game. Hopefully the animation and camera work are up to the task.

Top Bottom