• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Syfy's 12 Monkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

SyFy released a trailer today showing some of their 2014 lineup and for eagled eyed viewers, it showed our first glimpse at their 12 Monkeys series in action.
Fw78QrS.jpg
xQBkl8A.jpg
tgC8dDm.jpg
J5gtv8v.jpg
mLx5D7s.jpg
e5QkdZW.jpg
fvls7f7.jpg
cZBQejl.jpg

12 Monkeys follows the journey of a time traveler (Aaron Stanford) from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will eventually decimate the human race.

If you're in the US, you can watch it here : (0:30 - 0:38) http://goo.gl/Jh92Mj

And for anyone outside of the US, you can watch it here (like I did) : http://goo.gl/mO3lBx

From that small snippet it looks good, but this is the SyFy channel we're talking about so I would hold off on your judgment for now.

What do you guys think?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This seems unnecessary, the movie is great and covered the story about as well as could be expected.

Clevinger

Is that the guy from Nikita?

Can't see much of anything in that snippet, but I'm definitely going to watch the show.

I'm not convinced there's much series potential in that setting unless they take a lot of liberties with it. Most of the drama in the film came from the protagonist being uneducated in matters temporal and thus being unfamiliar with the mechanics.

Dommo

How many times can you lengthen what was originally a 30 minute short film?

I'm not convinced there's much series potential in that setting unless they take a lot of liberties with it. Most of the drama in the film came from the protagonist being uneducated in matters temporal and thus being unfamiliar with the mechanics.

It's also very much a story where its charms and brilliance aren't apparent until you understand the whole picture - the beginning, middle and end. Turning it into an American television show with the prospect of multiple seasons doesn't make sense to me.

Wiktor

Will give it a shot. After Bates Motel and especially Hannibal I'm no loger completely against such idea.

Dommo

Will give it a shot. After Bates Motel and especially Hannibal I'm no loger completely against such idea.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea specifically - it's more of a thought I just had. But it's always the same - the first few examples of any trend, really, are successful because they come from some kind of creative spark. Someone thought "Well hey, I've thought this through, and I reckon we could make a pretty ripping long form TV show out of the Hannibal character" and so the show is born out of something wholesome.

As a trend continues it becomes more and more about "Well they did it, and it was successful, so we should also do it, and reap the same benefits." That's when it all quickly goes down the toilet. Not necessarily saying a 12 Monkeys TV show is wrong for these reasons or that it was created with that mindset, but as a trend like this continues, it's just going to get worse and worse, just with any trend. When risk and creativity go out the window, it's all down hill.

This seems...wholly unnecessary and like it'd be incredibly difficult. The movie had the luxury of being movie length, thus reducing the opportunities for contradictions and time paradoxes which is what made it so amazing. I feel like with a show length it won't have that tight "you can't change anything" nature the movie had and some things will get through

Raistlin

While I don't really have an issue with this being made into a show in general ... I have to question why SyFy would want this in their lineup given they have Continuum?

There are a lot of similarities.

DieH@rd

Banned
While I don't really have an issue with this being made into a show in general ... I have to question why SyFy would want this in their lineup given they have Continuum?

There are a lot of similarities.

Well, Continuum is not their show, they are just re-broadcasting it.

And I believe 12 Monkeys will have much more minfuckery. I fully expect totally different feel of the show than Continuum.

Subitai

Well even if it fails, it will may motivate people see a movie with a good time travel plot if they haven't already.

it was the lab assistant who was obsessed with Cassandra syndrome and the apocalypse, Cole was trapped in an endless loop where he watched his own death as a child, why does this exist

Stet

Banned
Take a really short film and turn it into a movie and then turn that movie into a series. What could go wrong!?

I'd be extremely excited if it was any network but Sy-Fy.

They just can't do shows justice. Dominion is just another example in a long list of shows they've botched due to their penny pinching or general lack of care.

Chibrou

So they will tell the exact same story ?

I mean it works with hannibal because there is a vision and reinterpretation of the source material but I feel that this one will just be a rehash.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So they will tell the exact same story ?

I mean it works with hannibal because there is a vision and reinterpretation of the source material but I feel that this one will just be a rehash.

Hannibal is very character driven, whereas 12 Monkeys struck me as very plot-driven. If they pulled a Fargo and told a different story in the same universe with the same sensibilities, I could see it working. If it's like From Dusk Til Dawn where they take every five minute sequence from the movie and stretch it out to a 42 minute episode I would rather eat spiders.

TheOddOne

PR:
'12 Monkeys' to Premiere Friday, January 16 at 9PM on Syfy

FROM UNIVERSAL CABLE PRODUCTIONS, 12 MONKEYS UNCAGED AT NEW YORK COMIC CON THIS WEEKEND

Aaron Stanford (as Cole), Amanda Schull (as Cassandra Railly) and Emily Hampshire (as Jennifer Goines)

NEW YORK – October 9, 2014 – Syfy’s anticipated adventure thriller 12 Monkeys will make its series premiere on Friday, January 16 at 9pm ET/PT. Inspired by the classic blockbuster film, which commemorates its 20th anniversary next year, 12 Monkeys explores the provocative story of a time traveler from a decimated future in a high-stakes race against the clock. Utilizing a dangerous and untested method of time travel, he journeys from 2043 to the present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will all but annihilate the human race. The series is produced by Universal Cable Productions in association with Atlas Entertainment, producer of the original theatrical film.

12 Monkeys stars Aaron Stanford (as time-traveler Cole), Amanda Schull (Dr. Cassandra Railly), Kirk Acevedo (Ramse), Barbara Sukowa (Jones) and Noah Bean (Aaron Marker). Additional key recurring roles include Tom Noonan (Damages, Hell On Wheels) as a mysterious villain and Emily Hampshire (Rookie Blue) as mental patient Jennifer Goines.

Syfy and Universal Cable Productions will uncage 12 Monkeys at New York Comic Con this weekend, with a panel on Saturday, October 11 at 5pm ET headlined by series producers Natalie Chaidez, Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett. Series star Hampshire also stops by to discuss her role, which was portrayed by Brad Pitt in the original feature film. Her character is the show's wild card, a brilliant and unpredictable mental patient who may or may not be tied into the Twelve Monkeys' conspiracy to destroy the world with a virus.

Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven (American Hustle, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight Trilogy) and Richard Suckle (American Hustle, The International), will executive produce. Roven served as producer on the original film. Jake Kurily will serve as Atlas’s producer on the series. Natalie Chaidez (In Plain Sight, V, Heroes) is the executive producer/showrunner and Terry Matalas & Travis Fickett (Nikita), who co-wrote the pilot, will serve as Co-Executive Producers. 12 Monkeys is produced by Universal Cable Productions in association with Atlas Entertainment.
Eww.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom