• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching it. Really damn cool. They are definitely starting with a stronger pilot than Arrow did. Let's hope they keep the quality train rolling.

Now the long wait for episode 2.

Joni

The scenes with
Oliver
were a bit off, but otherwise it was a great pilot. It is kinda great they already set a date for their series finale,
April 25 2024, Flash Disappears

If this has leaked, just to clarify the way this is usually handled on TV GAF - please don't link or detail how to download it. Also, don't ask for PMs describing how to acquire it. If you want to post up some vague discussion under spoiler tags, that's typically ok.
Also, CW released their Fall premiere dates. Arrow starts Wednesday, October 8, and The Flash starts Tuesday, October 7. Press release here.

DrBo42

Cornballer comes to the rescue.

Anyway, thoughts:

Don't mind the goofyness of it that much. Effects are as bad as expected but not enough to deter me from watching it. Allen's cop dad/boss? is pretty horrific. Definitely the weakest link in the pilot.

Question about both the character origin and the way it's presented in the pilot (warning: I speculate about the end of the season)

I don't know the traditional origin of the Flash or if they're separate depending on which Flash it is but is it fair to assume the lightning figure killing his mother at the start is him? One of those "This has to happen to set in motion events that make him the Flash." stories?

Wiktor

Cornballer comes to the rescue.

Anyway, thoughts:

Don't mind the goofyness of it that much. Effects are as bad as expected but not enough to deter me from watching it. Allen's cop dad/boss? is pretty horrific. Definitely the weakest link in the pilot.

Oh come on. He wasn't all bad.
His "Shut the hell up" reaction to "I am God" was hilarious :D

pulga

Banned
Wait..
When did they reference Grodd? I missed it

Also,
Hnnnngggg that WayneTech namedrop, pls just link the Arrowverse to the MoSverse already

But,

Comic book speculation:

Isn't Eddie Thawne Professor Zoom? How can wheelchair guy be Professor Zoom if Eddie Thawne is like right fucking there

unless theyre BOTH Eddie Thawne lol

Totally calling it, Barry steals away Iris from Thawne (duh) and future Thawne comes back to prevent this from happening. Thawne such a simp

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Comic book speculation:

Isn't Eddie Thawne Professor Zoom? How can wheelchair guy be Professor Zoom if Eddie Thawne is like right fucking there

Totally calling it, Barry steals away Iris from Thawne (duh) and future Thawne comes back to prevent this from happening. Thawne such a simp
I think that maybe Eddie is Wells' ancestor.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
did anyone noticed the more traditional flash suit in that newspaper from the future? so I guess there'll be upgrades to his suit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Totally the delivery, seemed it was Amell saying the line instead of Oliver.

Yeah the delivery of the line just seemed off. Like I know the moment they were going for, but they must have a better take than that. They still have time to edit things around. Still, I expect a full on crossover episode at some point in the season.

Question about both the character origin and the way it's presented in the pilot (warning: I speculate about the end of the season)

I don't know the traditional origin of the Flash or if they're separate depending on which Flash it is but is it fair to assume the lightning figure killing his mother at the start is him? One of those "This has to happen to set in motion events that make him the Flash." stories?

The new character origin is pretty much straight from Flash Rebirth back in 2009.

The lightning that killed Barry's mother is either Thawne (Professor Zoom, the Reverse Flash) killing his mother, or the Flash and Zoom fighting. The separate colors seems to point to the latter, and young Barry being moved far from the house is probably the actions of his older self.

In some versions of continuity, another version of Barry himself is the lightning bolt that gave him his power, resulting in a causal loop.

Just saw the pilot and I just can't wait for the whole season. Was there supposed to be any hinted crossovers between the two shows (Arrow) or are they trying to keep both stories as separate as possible?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just saw the pilot and I just can't wait for the whole season. Was there supposed to be any hinted crossovers between the two shows (Arrow) or are they trying to keep both stories as separate as possible?

We dont know anything about upcoming storylines, but show-runners said that there will be character crossovers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Would be awesome if that rumoured GL/Flash team up movie is in infact a Green Arrow/Flash team up movie.

DrBo42

The new character origin is pretty much straight from Flash Rebirth back in 2009.

The lightning that killed Barry's mother is either Thawne (Professor Zoom, the Reverse Flash) killing his mother, or the Flash and Zoom fighting. The separate colors seems to point to the latter, and young Barry being moved far from the house is probably the actions of his older self.

In some versions of continuity, another version of Barry himself is the lightning bolt that gave him his power, resulting in a causal loop.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Mariolee

Idk, after this pilot how would the Arrowverse even possibly connect to the DCU considering
they don't mention Supes at all and he'd be a pretty big deal. The only way I could see them work around this is if the Arrowverse so far takes place before MoS.I don't remember any specific dates mentioned in MoS that would make this impossible.

Dalek

They didn't really address it directly, but when
Barry chases the car and then smashes into the passenger seat, he really phased through the door, because there was no damage done to the car.

Maybe he opened and closed the door really fast? o_O Yeah, that was rather iffy.

Idk, after this pilot how would the Arrowverse even possibly connect to the DCU considering
they don't mention Supes at all and he'd be a pretty big deal. The only way I could see them work around this is if the Arrowverse so far takes place before MoS.I don't remember any specific dates mentioned in MoS that would make this impossible.

Jonathan Kent died in 1997, Clark tells the military guy that he's been on Earth for 33 years.

So Nu52 Wally West was made black to keep consistency with the show? That's what I'm getting out of this.

Doubt it, that decision was probably made before casting started.

They didn't really address it directly, but when
Barry chases the car and then smashes into the passenger seat, he really phased through the door, because there was no damage done to the car.

He did break the window, but the angle he enters doesn't suggest him jumping in through it. It was weird. He could have quickly opened and closed the door, though that seems equally weird from the scene.

Kevin

Just watched the pilot and it surpassed my already high expectations. Really am excited for this show. It's the CW so I imagine massive budget cuts beyond the pilot which is a damn shame but still, if the writing remains as good as Arrow (so far it is) then I'm there! Fantastic stuff so far!

sunofsam

Wait..

Comic book speculation:

Zoom is Eobard Thawne, likely Eddies descendant. If I recall he is from the future and stole a flash costume from the Flash museum to become a 25th century Flash. Likely went back in time with his knowledge of future tech and set up the experiment at Star land as Wells
Edit: Also Wells uses the "Run, Barry, Run" line that his dad yelled at the murder scene - did Wells know it would have an emotional response from Barry because he was there as Zoom?

royalan

Well, that pilot was very...piloty. Shitty dialogue, laughably bad acting from most of the players, everything was bit too obviously *pilot* in setting up stakes and motivations
("Wanna know why I'm not smiling? Well that explosion that created you ALSO ruined my career AND killed my fiance AND positioned m as a potential love interest!")

Oh, and the Arrow cameo...lol

Not bad, though. I enjoyed it. I just hope they don't lead off with the pilot, and film a better first episode.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
How was Tom Cavanaugh? I love the Flash, I love Arrow, and I love Mike & Tom Eat Snacks. This show seems like it'll be right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom