• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots of Bandai Namco's Code Vein (UE4, consoles, 2018)

Tyaren

This looks like the first time an anime stylized game uses the full potential of the current gen consoles, not just HD PS3 graphics. Looks imo really nice.

plank

A little off topic but, do UE4 really have to be the go to for devs these days? I feel game quality would get a little too stagnant if more and more developers utilize this one out sourced engine, and that no truly unique games based on proprietary in house developed game engines would be few and far between.

Basically what I mean to say is there would be less emphasis on putting more effort into game purely for convenience sake.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This looks like the first time an anime stylized games uses the full potential of the current gen consoles, not just HD PS3 graphics. Looks imo really nice.

That's what using UE4 gets you i suppose. You don't have any legacy code holding your designs back and its more about budget.

Persona 5 looks amazing still but its obviously still a PS3 game in a lot of ways. I can imagine much more open worlds and seamless area transitions if they had built it for PS4.

Good thing Atlus is also moved onto UE4

A little off topic but, do UE4 really have to be the go to for devs these days? I feel game quality would get a little too stagnant if more and more developers utilize this one out sourced engine, and that no truly unique games based on proprietary in house developed game engines would be few and far between.

Basically what I mean to say is there would be less emphasis on putting more effort into game purely for convenience sake.

Art style depends on what the dev wants. UE4 is a blessing for these devs who dont have the budget or the time or resources to make an inhouse engine based on current gen technology, all the basic current gen rendering pipelines are right there in UE4. They can't keep using their old engines either.

All signs point toward the fact that, if anything, in-house engines are the ones holding back the full actualization of gameplay design for Japanese developers.

I welcome our UE4 overlords.

Yeah we need more devs wasting money on proprietary engines that don't work like Square and Capcom

Making games has become incredibly complicated and JP devs are FINALLY realizing that their old methods don't work anymore. This is part of what killed JP development last gen. Using UE4 is only a good thing and it really doesn't have something like that "UE3 look" that plagued those games in the past

Tyaren

That's what using UE4 gets you i suppose. You don't have any legacy code holding your designs back and its more about budget.

Persona 5 looks amazing still but its obviously still a PS3 game in a lot of ways. I can imagine much more open worlds and seamless area transitions if they had built it for PS4.

I always regret that Guilty Gear Xrd wasn't a game exclusively built for the PS4. The art obviously already shines with PS3 graphics. I imagine the character modelling could look near perfectly rounded and even more detailed on PS4, making the illusion of 2D drawings perfect.

I may be put off by the anime aesthetics personally, but I'm constantly impressed how versatile UE4 is in the differing design styles go, it's so accommodating. It's a pretty damn nice looking game.

Yes, it's a good go to because a dev doesn't have to waste time and money trying to create a proprietary engine and actually spend more time to actually design the assets and game itself and not worry about the creation of an engine. The days of the PS2 era of proprietary engines are long gone, it's costly and time consuming and doesn't guarantee the engine actually does any better when something like UE4 is more massively supported and has a well documented feature set. That old way of design hurt a lot of Japanese devs last gen going full proprietary either isn't financially or technically feasible for many and UE4 getting full Japanese support and docs is really helping a lot of Japanese devs this generation.

raven777

I feel rather than trying to waste time and money creating their own engine that doesn't work for many companies, using tools like UE4 could help development go more smoothly and devs could focus on other things with game instead of trying to make engine work all the time. Of course there will be good in-house engines from some developers but things might not work out well like Capcom's Panty raid engine or Square Enix's white engine/crystal tools or initially Luminuous studio.

And I feel games look different enough using UE4 this time so I am happy with how popular UE4 is getting for Japanese developers.

here are Japanese games using UE4 right now
unrealengine4japan02sclub0.png

Inuhanyou

I always regret that Guilty Gear Xrd wasn't a game exclusively built for the PS4. The art obviously already shines with PS3 graphics. I imagine the character modelling could look near perfectly rounded and even more detailed on PS4, making the illusion of 2D drawings perfect.

that's what i said about naruto ultimate ninja storm 4 as well and especially now that the trilogy is coming to PS4.

Good that CC2 is also moving to UE4 as well

Inuhanyou

Jesus, keep looking over these screens. Really love this art direction and style...these devs unchained from handhelds really have been doing some work visually, now gameplay is what needs to be proven

Inuhanyou

With those environs I doubt the game will run on 60 on consoles though, which would be a shame

Not too pressed if the FPS stays solid. If its not dropping everywhere, its totally fine for me. Even though Nioh feels really great to play

Sciel

Hopefully this doesn't have the mission based structure of the God Eater games. Hated those so bad (yes, it was probably since they were originally handheld games).

Ascheroth

Souls Eater looks great.
Have we finally entered the era of anime games without PS2-level environment graphics?
Hopefully this doesn't have the mission based structure of the God Eater games. Hated those so bad (yes, it was probably since they were originally handheld games).
They've said one focus is exploration and an interconnected world.

plank

Art style depends on what the dev wants. UE4 is a blessing for these devs who dont have the budget or the time or resources to make an inhouse engine based on current gen technology, all the basic current gen rendering pipelines are right there in UE4. They can't keep using their old engines either.

All signs point toward the fact that, if anything, in-house engines are the ones holding back the full actualization of gameplay design for Japanese developers.

I welcome our UE4 overlords.

Yeah we need more devs wasting money on proprietary engines that don't work like Square and Capcom

Making games has become incredibly complicated and JP devs are FINALLY realizing that their old methods don't work anymore. This is part of what killed JP development last gen. Using UE4 is only a good thing and it really doesn't have something like that "UE3 look" that plagued those games in the past

I may be put off by the anime aesthetics personally, but I'm constantly impressed how versatile UE4 is in the differing design styles go, it's so accommodating. It's a pretty damn nice looking game.

Yes, it's a good go to because a dev doesn't have to waste time and money trying to create a proprietary engine and actually spend more time to actually design the assets and game itself and not worry about the creation of an engine. The days of the PS2 era of proprietary engines are long gone, it's costly and time consuming and doesn't guarantee the engine actually does any better when something like UE4 is more massively supported and has a well documented feature set. That old way of design hurt a lot of Japanese devs last gen going full proprietary either isn't financially or technically feasible for many and UE4 getting full Japanese support and docs is really helping a lot of Japanese devs this generation.

I feel rather than trying to waste time and money creating their own engine that doesn't work for many companies, using tools like UE4 could help development go more smoothly and devs could focus on other things with game instead of trying to make engine work all the time. Of course there will be good in-house engines from some developers but things might not work out well like Capcom's Panty raid engine or Square Enix's white engine/crystal tools or initially Luminuous studio.

And I feel games look different enough using UE4 this time so I am happy with how popular UE4 is getting for Japanese developers.

here are Japanese games using UE4 right now

I guess I see your point. Its just I'm a bit concerned for the lack of "variety" where everyone is using one out sourced engine. Hope there be more in the way of Unity.

Jesus, keep looking over these screens. Really love this art direction and style...these devs unchained from handhelds really have been doing some work visually, now gameplay is what needs to be proven
An engine is "just" a tool in the end. Graphic and or gameplay variety shouldn't really be impacted
Not too pressed if the FPS stays solid. If its not dropping everywhere, its totally fine for me. Even though Nioh feels really great to play

A setting like Nioh has would be perfect. Way more action games need to do that

They've said one focus is exploration and an interconnected world.

That's awesome. I was fully expecting a mission based structure

Inuhanyou

An engine is "just" a tool in the end. Graphic and or gameplay variety shouldn't really be impacted

But it does impact it, as if your using a legacy engine that is very limited in scope compared to what hardware your using now, your not going to be able to do as much as you should be able to to on that hardware. The God eater engine itself is proof of this being primarily utilized for PSP.

Its the same visually, this is exactly why many devs don't just stick with their older engines, a lot of the current gen graphical rendering abilities are not able to be used without actually bolting them onto that older engine, which costs time, money and optimization effort that would probably be better spent just using a wholesale new engine from scratch.

Not into games like this. I'm really hoping for more info from Bandai regarding City Shrouded in Shadow.

But we have not yet seen the 'game portion' or are you talking about the artstyle only?

But it does impact it, as if your using a legacy engine that is very limited in scope compared to what hardware your using now, your not going to be able to do as much as you should be able to to on that hardware. The God eater engine itself is proof of this being primarily utilized for PSP.

Its the same visually, this is exactly why many devs don't just stick with their older engines, a lot of the current gen graphical rendering abilities are not able to be used without actually bolting them onto that older engine, which costs time, money and optimization effort that would probably be better spent just using a wholesale new engine from scratch.

Yeah I was generalizing too much, true. In this case, where you're using a powerful and versatile engine like UE4, there should be little to no impact compared to making your own proprietary engine.

I don't know maybe same feature sets? I feel there would be the same type of unique visual feature across all games that uses the same engine.
When the evidence is right there in front of you, I don't know how you can maintain this line of reasoning.

What visual features run across Rez Infinite's Area X, Tekken 7, and Naruto that betray those series' signature aesthetics?

AudioEppa

But we have not yet seen the 'game portion' or are you talking about the artstyle only?

Yes. The artstyle isn't appealing. And as for "game portion" Don't need to see it. There's only a couple of ways this game will look like in motion. I'm sure there's already some similar Japanese titles on the market.

Top Bottom