• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Sega's US Sales (LTD) on NeoGAF. Careful, the paint's still drying.

ge-man

The GC has been good to Sega considering the number of ports that make up their support. It will be interesting see where Sammy takes Sega now--I suspect that PS2 support is going to be even greater in spite of the high GC numbers.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
There's been a misconception since the very beginning: the SEGA fanbase did not just "go" to any of the platforms. The vast majority of consumers don't buy more than one console every five years. Many of those that bought a Dreamcast - many of that million-strong SEGA Sports fanbase - didn't automatically convert over to some other platform when SEGA changed their business plan and still might only have the DC.

As this generation reaches the latter parts of its cycle, a lot of that old DC userbase will probably have moved on to one of the newer platforms since DC software availability has faded and since they were early adopters (enthusiast consumers) in the first place. Expect SEGA software sales to suddenly improve simply from this factor.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lazy8s said:
As this generation reaches the latter parts of its cycle, a lot of that old DC userbase will probably have moved on to one of the newer platforms since DC software availability has faded and since they were early adopters (enthusiast consumers) in the first place. Expect SEGA software sales to suddenly improve simply from this factor.
I don't see this happening. I would bet any amount of money that the majority of people who were Dreamcast owners have since bought another console if they were that interested in playing Sega games. Then there are the early-adopters who weren't too interested in Sega -- just buying the Dreamcast. These people certainly wouldn't feel the need to track Sega's third-party games around, so no increased sales there, either.

What you're describing is a group of people who are hardcore enough Sega fans to want to actively seek out Sega games, but who haven't yet purchased another console to do so. IMO, such a demographic would be incredibly small, and not enough to make any significant difference in Sega's sales.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

lol! That's the dumbest sh!t I've read all day. Seriously. Nobody's playing w/ their Dreamcast anymore. No gamer has a DC as their sole console.

luxsol

DaCocoBrova said:
lol! That's the dumbest sh!t I've read all day. Seriously. Nobody's playing w/ their Dreamcast anymore. No gamer has a DC as their sole console.
I still play my Dreamcast from time to time and buy games too (whenever i find one i want cheap enough). However, i have my GCN and PS2 besides it.

Sure we still play our DCs. But that there's a large contingent of Sega fans still using the DC as their primary system... who were "early adopters (enthusiast consumers)"... who won't buy a PS2/GCN/XBox untli they're several years old... nah.

Sure we still play our DCs. But that there's a large contingent of Sega fans still using the DC as their primary system... who were "early adopters (enthusiast consumers)"... who won't buy a PS2/GCN/XBox until they're several years old... nah.

Lazy8s said:
The vast majority of consumers don't buy more than one console every five years.

What does the Dreamcast have to do with the vast majority?

And anyway, one of the reasons Sega built up so much bad will over the years, is that while peopel don't like to buy systems too frequently, you definitely force their hand when you pull the plug on their system early in its life.

Omeyocan

I hope that OutRun 2 will sell well here in North America. But at the same time, I fear it will become a sleeper hit too... Kind of bad....

ANIHAWK. YOU RULE!

when did this thread appear? Already.. its growing really fast :D

From the sales number. Why the hell did SEGA even support XBOX to beginning with. Those JSRF/GunValkrie/Orta sales are really really bad. And they're still going to release OUTRUN2 on the console with the most racing games. It'd sell much better on the PS2 or gamecube (especially GC since it gets very little of these type of games). Are those JSRF number inclusive of the double disc bonus/pack ins?

REZ - This game needs a Sequel. FUCK THE NUMBERS :face mad:

Gunvalkrie wasn't that great. As much as a ex-Sega-fanboy myself tried to adore it.. it was repetitive and the controls, shocking. I got to the final boss but he was impossible without the super powerup third form. Never finished it. Also shocking lack of any coherent storyline.

Whoever said that games don't sell on the cube are taking crazy pills. I think GC development has done a lot for SEGA.

Where do you guys think SAMMY will direct SEGA in the future. I hope its more PS2/GC.

FriScho said:
REZ, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future Sales are really:
sad.gif

Yes. SHocking. The Power of X

?

Where are the numbers for Space Channel 5 I + II on the PS2? And SEGA Soccer Slam for the Gamecube? Weren't these released in the US?

Deepthroat said:
Shenmue II: 162,480

Wow, that's more then I expected. It's still "ok" for a port, right? :(

its not a straight port per se. And the game comes with the bonus dvd movie. It makes the numbers pretty bad Imo. Spending all that time to port the game, make improvements (camera; phototaking) and for it to sell like crap... Comparatively, all you have to do is measure SONIC to see that it has bombed. Sonic Hereos also kind of bombed on the XBOX.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
ANIHAWK. YOU RULE!

when did this thread appear? Already.. its growing really fast :D

I started in February of 2003, and started doing it monthly in August of 2003.

TheGreenGiant said:
From the sales number. Why the hell did SEGA even support XBOX to beginning with. Those JSRF/GunValkrie/Orta sales are really really bad. And they're still going to release OUTRUN2 on the console with the most racing games. It'd sell much better on the PS2 or gamecube (especially GC since it gets very little of these type of games). Are those JSRF number inclusive of the double disc bonus/pack ins?

No. The JSRF/Sega GT 2002 disc was sold separately (got numbers for it for about a month), with the pack in, it's 2 million.

TheGreenGiant said:
Where do you guys think SAMMY will direct SEGA in the future. I hope its more PS2/GC.

Probably more towards the PS2 than the GC. I think Sammy's gonna try to ween the fanbase off the GC.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
Where are the numbers for Space Channel 5 I + II on the PS2? And SEGA Soccer Slam for the Gamecube? Weren't these released in the US?

Space Channel 5, Ecco, and Crazy Taxi were all published by other companies. Sega Soccer Slam's on the list.

Jumpman said:
From looking at these numbers, one could make a strong argument that Sega's hardcore fans went with Gamecube this generation. However, the casual Sega fans seem to have migrated to the PS2, with the Xbox grabbing the leftovers.

I still say all the Hardcore Sega fans didn't all go to Gamecube. Why you say, by the numbers it looks that way, think on this if a person is a hardcore Sega fan wouldn't they have owned sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast and even Sonic Jam from the saturn days? Why Buy a Gamecube for those Games if you own them, and at the time non of the Sega fans which of the systems Sega was going to support the most. Alot of Sega fans would have owned the Sonic games. I think either early adopters bought the sonic adnenture 2 battle or maybe even kids that have seen te cartoons on fox. A TV show has alot of selling power, especially the recent trend to show the animie flavored kinds. Now the Monkey Ball Numbers are good but so are the Shinobi numbers and Virtua Fighters numbers on the PS2. I agree with the person alot of Sega fans are on the bench waiting to see what happens, or they decided to give up on Seag and it's game after the Dreamcast.

TheGreenGiant said:
?

its not a straight port per se. And the game comes with the bonus dvd movie. It makes the numbers pretty bad Imo. Spending all that time to port the game, make improvements (camera; phototaking) and for it to sell like crap... Comparatively, all you have to do is measure SONIC to see that it has bombed. Sonic Hereos also kind of bombed on the XBOX.

Well the Numbers are bad, but non worst then other Sega games (except for the Sonic port). Heck, one could use the same argument for a good game like Skies of Arcadia legend. I do agree about the Sonic Heroes being bad numnbers, I wished it sold bettter. I guess Sega has to try some games on X-box. I also think with the new $20 dollar price for sports would sell on Gamecube and Sega should give some love in the Sports area to the Machine.

I think if Sega had given a clear direction of where they were going when they went to 3rd party status, thier sells would have been better. I guess alot of the fans are not like me and bought alot of thier games. Then again, I just recently bought an x-box for the sega games, I owned a ps2 after the Dreamcast died, and I bought most of the x-box games cheap, so I too didn't rush out to Purchase the Sega games. I almost own all the non sport Sega games on the X-box ( did just got the world sereis Baseball last month), all I need is Crazy taxi, and then it off to get a Gamecube for MonkeyBall and Bill Hatchers and, Beach Spikers. I hope next generation Sega tells thier fans which systems they plan to support the most from the start.

Jumpman

sonic4ever said:
I still say all the Hardcore Sega fans didn't all go to Gamecube. Why you say, by the numbers it looks that way, think on this if a person is a hardcore Sega fan wouldn't they have owned sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast and even Sonic Jam from the saturn days? Why Buy a Gamecube for those Games if you own them, and at the time non of the Sega fans which of the systems Sega was going to support the most. Alot of Sega fans would have owned the Sonic games. I think either early adopters bought the sonic adnenture 2 battle or maybe even kids that have seen te cartoons on fox. A TV show has alot of selling power, especially the recent trend to show the animie flavored kinds. Now the Monkey Ball Numbers are good but so are the Shinobi numbers and Virtua Fighters numbers on the PS2. I agree with the person alot of Sega fans are on the bench waiting to see what happens, or they decided to give up on Seag and it's game after the Dreamcast.

I'm not saying all of Sega's hardcore fans went to Gamecube this gen, just a high percentage of them.

I hear what your saying about Sonic, but the truth is that SA2 only sold a couple hundred thousand on Dreamcast as opposed to close to a million and counting on Gamecube. I think that when Sega pulled support for the Dreamcast, it hurt the sales potential of all Dreamcast titles after that point, as seen in the sales of SA2 on DC.

Sonic, Virtua Fighter, and Sports games are Sega's best examples of franchises with mainstream appeal. They are not really good examples to explore when trying to determine where Sega's hardcore fans migrated.

Jumpman said:
I'm not saying all of Sega's hardcore fans went to Gamecube this gen, just a high percentage of them.

I hear what your saying about Sonic, but the truth is that SA2 only sold a couple hundred thousand on Dreamcast as opposed to close to a million and counting on Gamecube. I think that when Sega pulled support for the Dreamcast, it hurt the sales potential of all Dreamcast titles after that point, as seen in the sales of SA2 on DC.

Sonic, Virtua Fighter, and Sports games are Sega's best examples of franchises with mainstream appeal. They are not really good examples to explore when trying to determine where Sega's hardcore fans migrated.

I am say that I'm not a massive SEGA fan prior to the DC. Played mostly SNES and didn't think too much of the GENESIS. But the DC changed all that. It had stacks of titles that I found to be really great games and because of that, I became a rather staunch Sega believer. (SC5, REZ, JSR, CT, BASSFISHING, that maraccas game.. more). They were briilliant.

As a result, I've picked up both the cube and the xbox (xbox @ launch was definitely a SEGA induced purchase decision - JSRF, GV, Crazy Taxi 3 and more). Their performance this gen has been nothing less than disappointing. :sighs:

TheGreenGiant said:
I am say that I'm not a massive SEGA fan prior to the DC. Played mostly SNES and didn't think too much of the GENESIS. But the DC changed all that. It had stacks of titles that I found to be really great games and because of that, I became a rather staunch Sega believer. (SC5, REZ, JSR, CT, BASSFISHING, that maraccas game.. more). They were briilliant.

As a result, I've picked up both the cube and the xbox (xbox @ launch was definitely a SEGA induced purchase decision - JSRF, GV, Crazy Taxi 3 and more). Their performance this gen has been nothing less than disappointing. :sighs:

Well Dreamcast is this Generation. I know some will argue otherwise....so overall they have done well this Generation. Actually I have enjoyed many of thier games since going 3rd party, thought I understand not all have. Shinobi, once you get the rhthym down on how to play the game, it was Great. Jet SEt Radio Future is sooo much Fun, Panzer Dragoon Orta is fantasitc rail the shooter like the old Satrun games, While many don't like Gunvalkrie..i fun once you learn to control it it is alot of fun, alot like Shinobi in a way. Heck, I actually like Sonic heroes. I think for many people Sega game play is too arcasey ,for someone that loved the 8 bit and 16 bit days, i think it is fine. Maybe next generation will be better to Sega.

sonic4ever said:
Well Dreamcast is this Generation. I know some will argue otherwise....so overall they have done well this Generation. Actually I have enjoyed many of thier games since going 3rd party, thought I understand not all have. Shinobi, once you get the rhthym down on how to play the game, it was Great. Jet SEt Radio Future is sooo much Fun, Panzer Dragoon Orta is fantasitc rail the shooter like the old Satrun games, While many don't like Gunvalkrie..i fun once you learn to control it it is alot of fun, alot like Shinobi in a way. Heck, I actually like Sonic heroes. I think for many people Sega game play is too arcasey ,for someone that loved the 8 bit and 16 bit days, i think it is fine. Maybe next generation will be better to Sega.

I got all the way to the last boss in GV and thought.. "why am I still playing this? This isn't even fun".. and that was that. GV was very very mediorce. My first non-orgasm smilebit game. Wait... make the first JSRF.

And Crazy Taxi also sold very well on the ps2 and gamecube. Not to mention that Sonic Adventure sold a million. Which is funny, Acclaim seems to have better distribution than Sega, and I thought Acclaim's reputation was in the dirt. I have a feeling if Sega published those games, they'd have seen less than half the sales. Judging from the couple Sega published GBA games, that seems to be true. That's why people shouldn't be surprised when Sega continues to use other publishers to help with the distribution of their games in the US (THQ and Rockstar). In the long run, Sega makes more money off those games.

As for the next gen, Sega would be very wise to treat each console as a virtual Dreamcast with Sega first party games. That way, Sega builds a community of gamers excited and enthusastic about their games. The next gen was so scattershot, and deserving fans were shut out of some of the best Sega games. Also, anything that isn't going to be an instant hit should be put on the backburner (unless it's a critical success). About time Sega starts giving people what they want, and it's obvious what they want. I could name 5 game series right off the bat that Sega should be working on right now.

Jumpman

I know exactly what I want from from Sega:

1. And this is most important to me, a new Sword of Vermilion.

2. A proper Phantasy Star RPG.

3. More of what Sega excels at, arcade type games, like perhaps a new Virtua Racing game.

4. A comprehensive and exstensive collection of all their classics.

5. Oh and while I'm dreaming, Shenmue III.

Phantasy Star 5
Daytona 3 Ultimate (all old courses + new, net play, scam modes/tutorial)
VF5 (with enhanced tutorial and kumite or whatever)
New Sonic (a given)
Nights 2 (too many people clamoring for this one to ignore. With the next gen there's that possiblity of impressing people with great graphics again. Doesn't have to be full 3D, but should have a full 3D explore mode at least).

Ideally Sega would have some new blockbuster games in the works also.

BlackClouds said:
Nights 2 (too many people clamoring for this one to ignore.

Do you honestly believe that? The internet may be full of hardcore Sega fans but uh, the real world ain't. Nights 2 would sell like Panzer Dragoon Orta, that is, it wouldn't sell. I agree with your other choices though, but I'd also add the following -

*New Daytona
*New Sega Rally (only if Sega do more than a bare bones arcade port though...it needs more than championship and time trial in this day and age)
*Shinobi (one that isn't a half arsed piece of shit. Just rip off Ninja Gaiden if they must...)
*Alex Kidd (it would have to be a damn good 3d transition though)

I'd add a couple more, like Crazy Taxi, but Sega ran them into the ground...

Sega Rally 2 already had plenty of cars, tracks, far from a direct port. You'd think they'd continute that for Rally 3 (which I agree, is another no brainer but I already mentioned Daytona). Far as Nights is concerned, I am convinced a sequel would create a lot of buzz in the industry, and that will translate to sales, given an aggressive marketing campaign. I probably wouldn't debut it on the Xbox2, but the N5 is a sure bet, as well as PS3. Nobody is clamoring for Alex Kidd, that's for sure.

Now, what's missing...something from Sega that combats the Halo2's, Half Life 2's, Doom 3's of the world. That is something I don't have an answer to. Been a long time since a Sega game has made it onto the most wanted lists in the US. 4 out of the top 5 upcomming games in the XBN magazine were all FPS's. That's Sega's biggest weakness, which would need to be addressed by soley original titles (or Streets of Rage, or maybe not).

Mashing

Sega is a Japanese company... they don't have much (if any) experience developing FPS.

That is one genre Japan companies should stay away from. The game would never sell in their home country and it'd most likely be shit anyway.

Bog

Junior Ace
AniHawk said:
Space Channel 5, Ecco, and Crazy Taxi were all published by other companies. Sega Soccer Slam's on the list.

Who the hell cares if they're published by other companies? They're Sega games. Put them on the list.

BlackClouds said:
Phantasy Star 5
VF5 (with enhanced tutorial and kumite or whatever)
New Sonic (a given)
Nights 2 (too many people clamoring for this one to ignore. With the next gen there's that possiblity of impressing people with great graphics again. Doesn't have to be full 3D, but should have a full 3D explore mode at least).

Ideally Sega would have some new blockbuster games in the works also.

phantasy star. Yes... possibility of this happening

Vf5. shoe in

Sonic Shoe in

Nights 2. If we haven't received it yet... don't expect it to come

Sega Rally (I don't know how a new Sega Rally will sell considering the GTs had rubbish sale)

Crazy Taxi 3 - way too many ports and not enough innovation (not that it needs it). DOing CT3 on the xbox alienated their entire fanbase for this game. Would have sold stacks more on the PS2 + gamecube. Wonder how much money MS paid for the exclusivity. Wonder if we'll ever find out the numbers on all these exclusivity deals (doubt that).

Anihawk, can we get the SC5, Ecco and CT numbers? Just want to see how well they did. Especially CT and SC5

TheGreenGiant said:
ANIHAWK. YOU RULE!

REZ - This game needs a Sequel. FUCK THE NUMBERS :face mad:

Yes. SHocking. The Power of X

I think the reason Sega is releasing outrun 2 on the X-box is because it is an easy port over the other systems, and in the US Microsoft is helping to publish it. I don't know the reason Sega of Europe choose the X-box originaly over the other two consoles, but my understanding Outrun 2 being released had nothing to do with Japan, and more with sega of Europe. Hey Green Gaint you own the X-box so you can still enjoy it, with Sega it is best not to worry about how much money they are making and just enjoy the games, they make alot of descions Fans question.
Also, alot of People enjoy REZ, I own it on the PS2 but really I don't see what is so great about it, I think I was expecting more of a Panzer Dragoon like game, but it's a nice little game but nothing great, since going 3rd party Sega has done better. I am glad you like the game, could someone please explain what makes REZ so great, maybe I would have a better appreciation of it. If it wasn't for the Sega Label on it I think I would have Sold REZ by now, but I am a Sega Game collector.

GigaDrive

Banned
1. And this is most important to me, a new Sword of Vermilion.

2. A proper Phantasy Star RPG.

3. More of what Sega excels at, arcade type games, like perhaps a new Virtua Racing game.

4. A comprehensive and exstensive collection of all their classics.

5. Oh and while I'm dreaming, Shenmue III.

you and me both. Sword of Vermillion is one of my fav Genesis games. the music was amazingly good. especially 'Last City'

Phantasy Star 5

God that was a sorry and sad list. I've been a huge Sega fan. They really exploded with creativity when the DC got going. But after that things have been a bit shaky.
I could list 'things that bug me about what sega/sammy has done' but it'd be a HUGE list.
One thing, though, is Smilebit seems to have fallen off the map and had some of their talent folded in with, I beleive, AV.
Also, the developer responsible for Skies of Arcadia doing crappy Shinobi games.
And why distance themselves from their DC style? I mean the DC didn't do that bad compared with how GCN and Xbox have done. They must have done some things right just to get to that point esp. with an inferior controller and no dvd.

What I expect:
New Sega games have to at least to try to compete with quality and features of new capcom, konami, tecmo games.
I don't want to see Altered Beast, Dororo, Astro Boy etc. turn out to be like Shinobi with different graphics.
Also, if Sega doesn't at least try some new ideas where will the next Sonic or Crazy Taxi come from?

Jumpman

GigaDrive said:
you and me both. Sword of Vermillion is one of my fav Genesis games. the music was amazingly good. especially 'Last City'

Damn straight! Sword of Vermillion is hands down my favorite Genesis game period. It is the game that made me love RPG's. I had plenty of exposure to the Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Phantasy Star games, they were all very nice, but it was Sword of Vermillion that really took hold of me.

GigaDrive

Banned
I very much enjoyed the typical medieval theme with Sword of Vermillion. I don't like things that get too weird like with most of the Final Fantasy games. the Phantasy Star series will always be number one in my book, but Sword of Vermillion is never far behind.

I read somewhere that the town graphics of Sword of Vermillion were kind of a test for what would be the town graphics of PS III.

we need a sequal or remake, Sega.

Jumpman

GigaDrive said:
I very much enjoyed the typical medieval theme with Sword of Vermillion. I don't like things that get too weird like with most of the Final Fantasy games. the Phantasy Star series will always be number one in my book, but Sword of Vermillion is never far behind.

I read somewhere that the town graphics of Sword of Vermillion were kind of a test for what would be the town graphics of PS III.

we need a sequal or remake, Sega.

Yeah, Final Fantasy games are sometimes a little convoluted. I still like me some Final Fantasy, but I'm yearning for something a little different. One thing I really liked about Sword of Vermillion was that you were a single warrior up against tremendous odds. One of my problems with many modern RPG's is that they insist on bogging you down with a ridiculously large party. I want to go it alone, or have no more than 2 or 3 companions in my party that can be with me for most of the game. This allows their individual stories to be told in much greater detail.

Without a doubt, Sword of Vermillion has some of the best music ever put to a videogame. I still find myself humming it from time to time. Just thinking about Sword of Vermillion makes me want to break it out right now and run through it all over again.

Sega, if you can hear me, reassemble the SoV team now and get to work on my remake or sequel.

GhaleonEB

Jumpman said:
Yeah, Final Fantasy games are sometimes a little convoluted. I still like me some Final Fantasy, but I'm yearning for something a little different. One thing I really liked about Sword of Vermillion was that you were a single warrior up against tremendous odds. One of my problems with many modern RPG's is that they insist on bogging you down with a ridiculously large party. I want to go it alone, or have no more than 2 or 3 companions in my party that can be with me for most of the game. This allows their individual stories to be told in much greater detail.

Without a doubt, Sword of Vermillion has some of the best music ever put to a videogame. I still find myself humming it from time to time. Just thinking about Sword of Vermillion makes me want to break it out right now and run through it all over again.

Sega, if you can hear me, reassemble the SoV team now and get to work on my remake or sequel.

Glad to hear there are other Sword of Vermillion fans out there. It's a really ambitious title, when you think about it. First-person exploration, realtime isometric-view combat, overhead town exploration and side scrolling boss battles. It all came together beautifully.

I actually mapped out the entire overworld on graph paper, taping about 10 sheets together. It came out the summer I had mono and was stuck in bed for six weeks, so I had nothing else to do.

I really agree with the comment about small parties and character development - that's one thing Skies of Arcadia did so brilliantly.

From looking at these numbers, one could make a strong argument that Sega's hardcore fans went with Gamecube this generation.

Yeah, the hardcore fans bought SA2 on GC instead of buying the superior DC version 6 months earlier.

These numbers on GC are indicitive of Nintendo drones who were exposed to Sega for the first time, that's all. Of course Sonic sold well, Nintendo fans love their platformers. Strangely, SOA: Legend, BY FAR the best Sega game on GC, one of the top 5 games on the system in fact, didn't sell so well. Maybe because mainstream GC owners have mental....difficulties? Nah, that couldn't be it.

Jumpman

GhaleonEB said:
Glad to hear there are other Sword of Vermillion fans out there. It's a really ambitious title, when you think about it. First-person exploration, realtime isometric-view combat, overhead town exploration and side scrolling boss battles. It all came together beautifully.

I actually mapped out the entire overworld on graph paper, taping about 10 sheets together. It came out the summer I had mono and was stuck in bed for six weeks, so I had nothing else to do.

I really agree with the comment about small parties and character development - that's one thing Skies of Arcadia did so brilliantly.

Sweet, that makes three of us. Do you think Sega would make another Sword of Vermillion game to satisfy 3 people (closes eyes and crosses fingers)? Does anyone how SoV sold back in the day. I always thought it did poorly, garnering only a small cult following. Until this thread, I thought I might be the only one who remembered SoV. Maybe there is still some hope.

Neutron Night said:
Yeah, the hardcore fans bought SA2 on GC instead of buying the superior DC version 6 months earlier.

These numbers on GC are indicitive of Nintendo drones who were exposed to Sega for the first time, that's all. Of course Sonic sold well, Nintendo fans love their platformers. Strangely, SOA: Legend, BY FAR the best Sega game on GC, one of the top 5 games on the system in fact, didn't sell so well. Maybe because mainstream GC owners have mental....difficulties? Nah, that couldn't be it.

Skies of Arcadia sold poorly on Dreamcast as well, are you saying Dreamcast owners had mental difficulties? I certainly wouldn't. SoA was just one of those great games that went overlooked.

Alcibiades

Neutron Night said:

actually, my bet is a lot of Nintendo fans (like me) may have been exposed to Sega games in the past and know Sega makes cool games... Before GCN, I owned a Genesis and Game Gear...

About SOA: Legends, don't forget that it had already had a shot at an audience in the Dreamcast, and unless it's Final Fantasy, most RPG's are pretty niche anyway, so it's impressive that it did so well on GCN (100,000 copies, about 3/4 of that at $50) in spite of being incredibly similar to it's predecessor, and also you have you consider that Sega did not6 market this on TV, unlike Panzar Dragoon Orta, which got a MASSIVE marketing campaign with Microsoft's help in January 2003...

Jumpman

efralope said:
actually, my bet is a lot of Nintendo fans (like me) may have been exposed to Sega games in the past and know Sega makes cool games... Before GCN, I owned a Genesis and Game Gear...

About SOA: Legends, don't forget that it had already had a shot at an audience in the Dreamcast, and unless it's Final Fantasy, most RPG's are pretty niche anyway, so it's impressive that it did so well on GCN (100,000 copies, about 3/4 of that at $50) in spite of being incredibly similar to it's predecessor, and also you have you consider that Sega did not6 market this on TV, unlike Panzar Dragoon Orta, which got a MASSIVE marketing campaign with Microsoft's help in January 2003...

Exactly. Many Nintendo fans like myself grew up with Sega along with Nintendo. We weren't just oblivious to Sega until one day suddenly, out of nowhere, they appeared on GC. This is why I believe that when Sega left the hardware business, many of Sega's long time fans moved on to what they had known before, Nintendo.

shuri

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
Why the hell did SEGA even support XBOX to beginning with. Those JSRF/GunValkrie/Orta sales are really really bad.

Sorry, but those games were lacking. Orta was the best effort of the bunch, and even that's a strech.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Neutron Night said:

You know, your right. Thats why all those Sega fans ran up and swooped up GUNVAL...I mean...Jet Set Radio Fu....nope, I mean those genius Segatics purchased Panzer....hmmm....well, they definetly purchased VF4.

IDOT.

Jumpman said:
Exactly. Many Nintendo fans like myself grew up with Sega along with Nintendo. We weren't just oblivious to Sega until one day suddenly, out of nowhere, they appeared on GC. This is why I believe that when Sega left the hardware business, many of Sega's long time fans moved on to what they had known before, Nintendo.

Once again I disagree..alot of Sega and Nintendo fans seem to dislike each other systems in the old days, and thier was rivalry back in the 16 bit days. Yes, sega fans knew about Nintendo ,but You make it sound like it was so heartwarming back in the 16 bit days, heck even last Generation you could hear people arguing who was better. Also , I am not saying all people were like that but if you were for one camp you were against the other. Just becuase People Know of a company doesn't make them fans of a company even when that company stops producing game machines, including old time hardcore players. I still Think Sonic sold becuase: 1.people Knew the Franchise, 2. it helped that the game was at the system launch or soon after, and the Gamcube has a smaller selection at the time, 3. soon after the cartoon sold sonic to the new Generation, and 4. Nintendo fans bought the game probaly becuase it was a trump card for Nintendo. their old enemey was now joining to thier side. I don't know where the Sega fans went, I think they grew smaller with each Generation.

I remeber buying the original Genesis with Alterbeast, and i too loved Sword of Vermillion, but we will never see another one. :( One thing i noticed, alot of Sega games people want remakes or sequels too and do get made get overlooked. Look at Toe Jam and Earl 3, the original was popular. Sega tried to do a modern Sequel ( I was surprised how good the game is) and it bombed, and the same goes for Echo the Dolphin and a few others. When i hear People say they want a new Streets of Rage game, I think would people buy it in this Modern age of Videogames. If I had my choice of a Sega sequel, it would be a new 3d Wounderboy in Monster world game, and a Phantasy Star 5.

Jumpman

sonic4ever said:
Once again I disagree..alot of Sega and Nintendo fans seem to dislike each other systems in the old days, and thier was rivalry back in the 16 bit days. Yes, sega fans knew about Nintendo ,but You make it sound like it was so heartwarming back in the 16 bit days, heck even last Generation you could hear people arguing who was better. Also , I am not saying all people were like that but if you were for one camp you were against the other. Just becuase People Know of a company doesn't make them fans of a company even when that company stops producing game machines, including old time hardcore players. I still Think Sonic sold becuase: 1.people Knew the Franchise, 2. it helped that the game was at the system launch or soon after, and the Gamcube has a smaller selection at the time, 3. soon after the cartoon sold sonic to the new Generation, and 4. Nintendo fans bought the game probaly becuase it was a trump card for Nintendo. their old enemey was now joining to thier side. I don't know where the Sega fans went, I think they grew smaller with each Generation.

I certainly don't mean to paint the picture as either black or white, sort of grey...ish. I'm well aware of the rivalry that existed between Nintendo and Sega in those days. I agree that there were large factions that pledged allegiance to one side while they spat on the other. But I also believe there were others like efralope and I that played both sides. I am sure that some of those staunch supporters harbored on some level, a respect or at least a curiousity for the other sides games. Many of those people would have likely supported both companies if they could have afforded it.

You make some valid points about SA2:B, most of which I agree with, but as I said in an earlier post, I think Sonic is one of Sega's only mainstream titles. It has sold about a million in the US, and I expect that maybe only 10 or 20 percent of those are from hardcore gamers.

I would agree that the number of Sega fans has dwindled over time. It seems that you gain stronger fan support when you run one of the hardware platforms. It's true that Sega's fanbase has scattered, and in some cases disbanded, but I still would argue that a high percentage of those that remain are now Gamecube owners.

Top Bottom