• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Amir0x

Banned
Hero of legend said:
Sonic can easily have the same looking model and such.

The polygon counts could remain virtually the same.

I can see the Wii version looking very or at least pretty close to the 360 version, especially with the supposed extra dev time.

Really. You can see that, hm. You can see that from the company that made Sonic and the Secret Rings and NiGHTS: JOD, that they'd suddenly be able to exploit the Wii to such a degree.

You can see that. Well, bless your soul.

Hero of legend said:
I figured this out:

Remember in the same interview that revealed that '06 was also heading to the Wii?

It was also confirmed that the Wii version was going to be released much later than the PS360 versions.

And what do we have today?

The 360 version of Unleashed is set to be shown in the next issue of PLAY, yet the Wii version is set to be shown in ONM in August.

This means that the Wii version is once again set to release quite a bit later than the 360 version.

This is good.

Because Sega can fix what was wrong technically with the 360 version in the Wii version, plus the Wii version could have extra content to make up for the late release!

Plus the extra dev time could be to make the visuals closer to the 360 version.

As the visuals at least in style and such, look more like a decent step up from Galaxy, so Sega taking a page from Nintendo for the Wii version isn't that unlikely.

Sonic can easily have the same looking model and such.

The polygon counts could remain virtually the same.

I predict the biggest difference will be in the lack of the intense shading and crispness (is that a word?) found in the 360 version, and of course the effects such as the bump-mapped water (keep in mind as I said before, Godzilla: Unleashed had bump-mapped water, so that MAY be kept in the Wii version, just not AS good).

I can see the Wii version looking very or at least pretty close to the 360 version, especially with the supposed extra dev time.
Just wait till you see some Wii screens before posting such things, cause for all we know, they could turn out to look like this...

1057171648_sonic2.jpg

Amir0x said:
Really. You can see that, hm. You can see that from the company that made Sonic and the Secret Rings and NiGHTS: JOD, that they'd suddenly be able to exploit the Wii to such a degree.

You can see that. Well, bless your soul.

Ever heard of a guess?

Ever stop to wonder why most of us were wondering if what we saw was the Wii version in the first place?

I never said it would look the same.

I didn't even say outright that the Wii version would look very close, I said pretty close.

The gap definition of pretty close can differ to some people, I say it could be the gap between the Wii and 360 version of Superstar Tennis, maybe a tad closer.

And I even said what I believe would be kept most intact in the Wii version, such as the model for the most part (Mario in Galaxy has virtually the same quality model, with the gloss look and everything).

I'm starting to wonder if the 360 version is just a beefed up version of the Wii version. That'd explain why that version looks piss poor in places, a ground-up 360 game I'm certain would look far better these days.

I'm fully prepared to eat my own words, don't get me wrong!

I must admit, the overrated blue turd doesn't look half bad in that vid. Still, rolleyes and those who are insanely hyping it but pretending they're being cautious

solid2snake said:
wait, SEGA fans hold together again? does this mean, we are strong again?

there's a room for you all, gentlemen, please enter. Breakfast will be served next month

Amir0x

Banned
Hero of legend said:
Ever heard of a guess?

Well, you said you "figured it out" and that you could "see" this, so I was assuming you actually wanted to believe it.

Hero of Legend said:
Ever stop to wonder why most of us were wondering if what we saw was the Wii version in the first place?

Because you Wii fanatics are genuinely batshit insane and have given up playing videogames for supporting company lines? Well, that's my theory anyway. I believed it would be multiplatform, as I said early in the thread, but the game will look NOTHING like those screens. Not even "close." Wii fans may, when we get shots of the Wii version, PRETEND it looks close... but it won't.

Hero of Legend said:
I didn't even say outright that the Wii version would look very close, I said pretty close.

The gap definition of pretty close can differ to some people, I say it could be the gap between the Wii and 360 version of Superstar Tennis, maybe a tad closer.

Tennis doesn't look very close in action. PLUS, there is a big difference between what the two games will be trying to do on screen.

Hero of Legend said:
And I even said what I believe would be kept most intact in the Wii version, such as the model for the most part (Mario in Galaxy has virtually the same quality model, with the gloss look and everything).

I'm starting to wonder if the 360 version is just a beefed up version of the Wii version. That'd explain why that version looks piss poor in places, a ground-up 360 game I'm certain would look far better these days.

I'm fully prepared to eat my own words, don't get me wrong!

well i put the shit on the plate for you to eat when appropriate.

Anasui Kishibe said:
there's a room for you all, gentlemen, please enter. Breakfast will be served next month

SEGA's fanboys will rise again and the wrath will be terrible. a lot of dead bunnies and crying babies!

Amir0x said:
Well, you said you "figured it out" and that you could "see" this, so I was assuming you actually wanted to believe it.

For that I was referring to the release time frame, not the visuals part.

Yeah, I fully agree that we should wait until we actually see the Wii version before jumping the gun.

I'm just glad the Wii is even getting this game!:D

Wizpig

Anyway, what i THINK the game will be like is:

Baby sonic [read: Sonic the Hedgehog] stages: Mix of Rush - The Secret Rings
Sonic unleashed [read: Sonic the Werehog] stage: Just like Sonic Adventure

wait, what? Wii is getting this game? Wait, what?

solid2snake said:
SEGA's fanboys will rise again and the wrath will be terrible. a lot of dead bunnies and crying babies!

hey, if you will be going to kill Raving Rabbits I'll support you..atleast we wont have more half assed games :D

_Alkaline_ said:
You shouldn't be.

I'd perfer that the Wii would be getting the game than not at all, good or bad, at least it's there.

We don't know if it's bad, and it looks like it might be GOOD for once.

I don't know, you don't know.

But I'm happy it's coming to the Wii, and my opinion shall not change.

Hero of legend said:
I'd perfer that the Wii would be getting the game than not at all, good or bad, at least it's there.

We don't know if it's bad, and it looks like it might be GOOD for once.

I don't know, you don't know.

But I'm happy it's coming to the Wii, and my opinion shall not change.

Secret Rings, an exclusive for Wii, destroyed the 360/PS3 Sonic in sales, and also trumpeted it in quality (though that wasn't exactly a tough thing to do).

Now, as a reward, Wii's getting a multiplatform Sonic. Which isn't designed for the Wii. Awesome!

Gagaman

Souldriver said:
Just wait till you see some Wii screens before posting such things, cause for all we know, they could turn out to look like this...

http://www.gamenation.nl/Pictures/1057171648_sonic2.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
Nah, Sonic and the Secret Rings looked far better than any of the previous gen Sonic games. Not Sonic 360 good, but pretty close to what is being shown in these screens. Other than some of the lighting effects and maybe the scale of some of the cities shown, this game doesn't look impossible on the Wii. It almost looks like a Secret Rings sequel style wise, what with the exotic locations.

Much like Sega Superstars, the graphics look quite downgraded from Sonic Next-Gen almost like it's intentional.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Djungelfrukt said:
Wow, really?

Really!?

I thought we would've moved on by now.

you know, there's probably a really technical reason why it wouldn't be possible (high texture and blur levels combined with speed at which that's all going by), but at first shine it doesn't look any more visually complex than mario galaxy. granted, that was made by wii's most talented developer, who will inevitably push the hardware to its limits. but i could totally see given that example how someone could view this as a totally possible proposition, even if it really isn't.

that line of reasoning would also be supported by the notion that restricting the game to "rails" would allow them to do more graphically than they would with a more open world game.

Blueblur1

Am I the only one that wants a Sonic Adventure 3? Ideally, it would be comprised of speed stages like Sonic's stages in SA2B but with different paths throughout the levels ala Sonic 1, 2 & 3. And some Chao raising. I miss the little guys.

beelzebozo said:
you know, there's probably a really technical reason why it wouldn't be possible (high texture and blur levels combined with speed at which that's all going by), but at first shine it doesn't look any more visually complex than mario galaxy. granted, that was made by wii's most talented developer, who will inevitably push the hardware to its limits. but i could totally see given that example how someone could view this as a totally possible proposition, even if it really isn't.

definitely. And I'm not even sure Galaxy is the highest point. Perhaps for now,. but we haven't seen the pinnacle of Wii's graphical power yet

Crushed

Fry Daddy
oh for god's sake please stop disgracing everybody who has ever been in the general proximity of a wii by saying "oh it looks like a wii game, just squint real hard and remove some shaders"

Crushed said:
oh for god's sake please stop disgracing everybody who has ever been in the general proximity of a wii by saying "oh it looks like a wii game, just squint real hard and remove some shaders"

BUT THE FLOWERS!

Crushed said:
oh for god's sake please stop disgracing everybody who has ever been in the general proximity of a wii by saying "oh it looks like a wii game, just stab your eyes with a plastic spork until you go completely blind first"

Sir Alemeth said:
It's gonna be multiplatform, I'm pretty sure about that. The screens look too good to be a Wii game, and too bad to be a 360/PS3 one.
just because of the flowers? this looks tons better then sonic 2006! maybe there is a wii port but we dont know

Sir Alemeth said:
It's gonna be multiplatform, I'm pretty sure about that. The screens look too good to be a Wii game, and too bad to be a 360/PS3 one.

This by no means looks bad for a PS3 or 360 games. Yes the foliage looks bad, but it looks bad in many games on those 2 systems. Nearly everything else looks amazing though.

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Ok just quick thoughts: Who's style works better in the game as for as music goes?

Hideki N.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2uogvbs&s=3

Richard J.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=16i9moo&s=3

Jun S.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=f41c38&s=3

And for Belzebozo -
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2rmo9hx&s=3

Dont have any access to Sonic 06 music atm so I cant really test that out.

Probably should've just messed around with other classic Sonic themes to see what style would go nicely with this gameplay as well. Also the gameplay looks more like Rush 1 than anything else.
Hideki N.

burgerdog

Wow, I thought it was going to be another shitty Sonic game so I avoided this thread until now. Color me impressed, I'm going to be keeping my eyes on this. I haven't bought a Sonic game since Sonic 2.

SolidSnakex said:
This by no means looks bad for a PS3 or 360 games. Yes the foliage looks bad, but it looks bad in many games on those 2 systems. Nearly everything else looks amazing though.
Well, it's not "bad" per se, but seems like a step down from the previous one...so I dunno, lazy devs?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sorry if posted, but that German mag says they got a press sheet from the Sega Europe server :

"Sonic the Hedgehog returns for a full-blown, action-packed adventure through the desolate and unpredictable World of Mubuz, a world dictated by an evil Dragon Lord, Immarius.
Upon entering Muboz, Sonic fights an evil power which turns all the inhabitance into dangerous beasts.

1. Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo manouvers and Ring Energy
2. Play as Sonic, Knuckles or Tails through 12 packed stages
3. Extensive gameplay brings 2D Sonic gameplay back to home consoles"

"SEGA Confirms a release in 2008, 2D-Gameplay and, so far, 3 playable characters-only
Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys! "

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/

Costanza

Banned
schuelma said:
Sorry if posted, but that German mag says they got a press sheet from the Sega Europe server :

"Sonic the Hedgehog returns for a full-blown, action-packed adventure through the desolate and unpredictable World of Mubuz, a world dictated by an evil Dragon Lord, Immarius.
Upon entering Muboz, Sonic fights an evil power which turns all the inhabitance into dangerous beasts.

1. Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo manouvers and Ring Energy

"SEGA Confirms a release in 2008, 2D-Gameplay and, so far, 3 playable characters-only
Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys! "

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

jet1911

schuelma said:

2297016652_c1573dd0d5_o.gif

schuelma said:

OMG YES

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
schuelma said:

lasorparty.gif

schuelma said:

Aside from Wolf Sonic, they've actually listened. 2D gameplay and the 3 characters from the series that everyone seems to love being the only playable characters.

Top Bottom