• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Gagaman

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles = the only playable characters that have ever mattered (when Tails and Knuckles are not piloting robots/hunting for treasure/throwing ring bomb thingys, that is). Good news indeed!

Sir Alemeth said:
Well, it's not "bad" per se, but seems like a step down from the previous one...so I dunno, lazy devs?

Well certain things are better and others are worse. Sonic's model isn't as detailed for example but the lighting is much better in Sonic Unleashed compared to Sonic 06.

schuelma said:
2. Play as Sonic, Knuckles or Tails through 12 packed stages
3. Extensive gameplay brings 2D Sonic gameplay back to home consoles"

Yes.

schuelma said:
"SEGA Confirms a release in 2008, 2D-Gameplay and, so far, 3 playable characters-only

YES!

schuelma said:
"SEGA Confirms a release in 2008, 2D-Gameplay and, so far, 3 playable characters-only

Dammit. Do not add Shadow or Silver please. :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Damn, what a kick in the balls to Wii owners if the first decent Sonic game in forever doesn't hit the Wii :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gagaman said:
Sonic, Tails and Knuckles = the only playable characters that have ever mattered (when Tails and Knuckles are not piloting robots/hunting for treasure/throwing ring bomb thingys, that is). Good news indeed!

Nah, Shadow was a good character in Sonic Adventure 2. However, his death in that game should have been the end of him.

I'm kind of confused... how can you "become" Wolf Sonic while there are only three playable characters? Are they counting Sonic and Wolf Sonic as a single character?

Gagaman

Anyone notice half of the info on that most recent post on Sega On has been updated to remove the entire Sonic Tails and Knuckles part?

schuelma

Gagaman said:
Anyone notice half of the info on that most recent post on Sega On has been updated to remove the entire Sonic Tails and Knuckles part?

Hmm..I wonder if Sega ninja's got to em? (that first part was from a leaked fact sheet)

schuelma said:
Sorry if posted, but that German mag says they got a press sheet from the Sega Europe server :

"Sonic the Hedgehog returns for a full-blown, action-packed adventure through the desolate and unpredictable World of Mubuz, a world dictated by an evil Dragon Lord, Immarius.
Upon entering Muboz, Sonic fights an evil power which turns all the inhabitance into dangerous beasts.

1. Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo manouvers and Ring Energy

Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys! "

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/
OMFG YES

Sonic Rush is given far too much leniency on this board. While decent at times it had far too many cheap deaths (bottomless pit or more of the lower track?). On top of that the grating music (which was another victim of the "free pass" gaf syndrome) was suspect too. It lacked most of the charm of the original.

This game has all the signs of a typical Sega-Sonic blunder- melodramatic inter-dimensional boss character forces Sonic to tap into his feral nature. Hardcore rage/oppressed angst soon to follow...

schuelma

SolidSnakex said:
It seems like it's going to be on the PS3, 360 and Wii.

I'm not at all convinced of the "filename said it's going to the Official Nintendo Mag" report. Seems flimsy.

Gagaman

schuelma said:
Damn, what a kick in the balls to Wii owners if the first decent Sonic game in forever doesn't hit the Wii :lol :lol :lol :lol
It will be on Wii. That's where the most money is. I'm still convinced they're taking a similar route they did with Superstars Tennis, with Chronicles filling in the DS space (I doubt there will be a PS2 port though).

evilromero said:
Sonic Rush is given far too much leniency on this board. While decent at times it had far too many cheap deaths (bottomless pit or more of the lower track?). On top of that the grating music (which was another victim of the "free pass" gaf syndrome) was suspect too. It lacked most of the charm of the original.

This game has all the signs of a typical Sega-Sonic blunder- melodramatic inter-dimensional boss character forces Sonic to tap into his feral nature. Hardcore rage/oppressed angst soon to follow...
I dunno, I had a lot of fun with it. At the end of the day, that's all I really care about.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
schuelma said:

Huh? isn't the game you described available already for the Wii??

Graphics looks very similar (with higher res textures) to Sonic and the Secret Rings... I think it's the same team doing this game.

Blueblur1

schuelma said:
Sorry if posted, but that German mag says they got a press sheet from the Sega Europe server :

"Sonic the Hedgehog returns for a full-blown, action-packed adventure through the desolate and unpredictable World of Mubuz, a world dictated by an evil Dragon Lord, Immarius.
Upon entering Muboz, Sonic fights an evil power which turns all the inhabitance into dangerous beasts.

1. Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo manouvers and Ring Energy

Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys! "

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/
2008? Sounds like another rushed Sonic game. Color me unsurprised.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
evilromero said:
Sonic Rush is given far too much leniency on this board. While decent at times it had far too many cheap deaths (bottomless pit or more of the lower track?)

the bottomless pits were part of the non-linearity. you could go to the end of the level, or you could spend eternity in a freefall to nowhere. it's these kinds of trailblazing choices that have always made sonic games popular

schuelma

manueldelalas said:
Huh? isn't the game you described available already for the Wii??

Graphics looks very similar (with higher res textures) to Sonic and the Secret Rings... I think it's the same team doing this game.

Similiar? really?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
schuelma said:
Similar? really?

Art style is very close, the lighting is better, the textures are higher res.

Remember that Sonic and the Secret Rings is one of the better looking (if not the best) titles for the Wii.

The polygon count seems very low for a game built from the ground for 360/PS3.

I say this game will be multiplatform for the Wii/X360/PS3.

D-X

Sounds like another SATSR storyline - not a huge fan of 'jumping into another world where anything can happen'

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles only + 2D = SEGA ARE LISTENING!

Now listen to this Sega - DROP THE WEREHOG CRAP NO ONE WANTS IT!

Gagaman

I suppose the Tails and Knuckles part could be fake as that's the only info we haven't seen visual evidence of yet. I would rather have refined and polished gameplay over more characters any day, unless all the characters play more or less the same with the odd different move like the Mega Drive games. That was one of the main problems with Sonic Next-gen: they tried to manage too many completely different characters and most of them turned out pants.

wsippel

Banned
Amir0x said:
Really. You can see that, hm. You can see that from the company that made Sonic and the Secret Rings and NiGHTS: JOD, that they'd suddenly be able to exploit the Wii to such a degree.
After the recent collaborations, maybe Nintendo could give Sega access to the Galaxy engine. Probably the only Wii engine to achieve even remotely similar visuals right now. I believe Nintendo did this with other engines in the past. But if they did, they probably wouldn't allow them to use it on a non-Nintendo platform.

Wizpig said:
Erm, huh, GAF; i didn't want to say it but that news about 3 Characters and blah blah has been confirmed to BE FAKE.

w859wg.jpg

Wait a minute here...

You guys DID see the gameplay video that got posted on YouTube very early this morning...right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI0kHe_tT8&eurl=http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/

Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evilromero said:

It only had cheap deaths if you held the forward button on your dpad. It's funny, the same people who complain that there are cheap deaths like bottomless pits are also the same people that complain you can run straight through the levels in that game. Coincidence? I think not...

wsippel

Banned
jet1911 said:
The lighting is really good. :eek:
Not necessarily realtime, though (the lighting, not the screenshot). If the main lightsource doesn't move, and it probably doesn't, it's much more efficient to bake the lighting.

Top Bottom