• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Sonic is like amy winehouse or something. Has great potential and shows glimpses of what he would be if he weren't a cracked out ho, but in general he just mopes around and runs into the streets bleeding and without any pants on.

The only reason I have not abandoned ship completely is because that first DS Sonic game made me remember why I still liked the series. It had some flaws, but overall it was the best Sonic game in so, so many years...

...i thought the Sonic Adventure games sucked ass as well. Why did gamers liked them back in the day!

Scribble

Tiduz said:
I hope its only Sonic. Or Sonic and Shadow, those 2 were the only ones with similair/fun gameplay. in SA1 and SA2. (The last console sonic games i actually kinda liked)

I'm not bitter or anything, but Shadow or Silver appearing would immediately taint this game as being a 'new generation', i.e. shit Sonic game. At the moment, it looks so fresh and clean. Plop Shadow there and =X

Y2Kev said:
Sonic is like amy winehouse or something. Has great potential and shows glimpses of what he would be if he weren't a cracked out ho, but in general he just mopes around and runs into the streets bleeding and without any pants on.

This is so perfect an analogy I'd swear BenjaminBirdie wrote it. No wonder I like you Kev. ;)

Tiduz said:
Also, this could be real, the other thread i made was that Sega licensed a new sonic name, that name was Sonic Unleashed.
Well, the name is real, there's no disputing that. These screens seem far, far, far too elaborate to be fake, though.

Scribble

A new post or two every time I refresh. Looks like everyone still has a soft spot for Sonic, and would gladly welcome him back with open arms.

Amir0x said:
The only reason I have not abandoned ship completely is because that first DS Sonic game made me remember why I still liked the series. It had some flaws, but overall it was the best Sonic game in so, so many years...
It certainly wasn't as good, but Sonic Rush Adventure is good too. The boss battles made that game totally worth it in my book.
...i thought the Sonic Adventure games sucked ass as well. Why did gamers liked them back in the day!
God damn it, Ami. :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, the name is real, there's no disputing that. These screens seem far, far, far too elaborate to be fake, though.

Yeah, I was going to ask how someone would go about faking something this detailed.

*runs off to play Sonic 3*

I liked the first Sonic Adventure quite a bit. It was broke all to hell, and was really, really fucking weird... but man some of the levels were insanely spectacular and fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
Yeah, I was going to ask how someone would go about faking something this detailed.

*runs off to play Sonic 3*

oooh i'm coming too

i will bring my lock on

Xun

I still don't know why characters speak in Sonic games, since it's really annoying hearing an Americanized Sonic speaking.

Just keep it simple like Mario!

Amir0x said:

I think there was a bit more lenience for the SA games because we assumed they were a starting point that SEGA would tweak and improve. We were willing to overlook mess-ups because we naively hoped that the mighty Sonic Team would iron them out next time. Or next time. Or maybe the time after that?

Or maybe this one?

brandonh83 said:
I liked the first Sonic Adventure quite a bit. It was broke all to hell, and was really, really fucking weird... but man some of the levels were insanely spectacular and fun.

Emerald Coast for the motherfu**ing win.

Seriously though..Shadow the Hedgehog 2.
C'mon Sega I pretty much designed the damn game in my head while delivering pizzas, with some half decent programmers I could pull off something that kicks the shit out of the last decade's worth of Sonic games.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Segata Sanshiro said:

and there's too many different locales, too -- the mediterranean village, the robots attacking scene, and the scene with robotnick on the ship or w/e.

Scribble

Xun said:
I still don't know why characters speak in Sonic games, it's really annoying hearing an Americanized Sonic speaking.

Just keep it simple like Mario!

Not to be cheesy, but yeah, those pictures tell a thousand words. No need to have awful dialogue all over them. Subspace Emissary-style cutscenes would be great.

Does anyone have access to SEGA's FTP page? That site says they've got those screens from there.

Wizpig said:
I still don't get why people think this is REAL.
Did SEGA say something about this? Nope.
This is fake, imo.
Well if you say it, then it must be legit!

DJ GT-S

Banned
What the hell, the lighting is fucking unreal. Sega making a good looking game in the post-Dreamcast era? Unfuckingpossible!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously though..Shadow the Hedgehog 2.
C'mon Sega I pretty much designed the damn game in my head while delivering pizzas, with some half decent programmers I could pull off something that kicks the shit out of the last decade's worth of Sonic games.
Get away from my series.

brandonh83 said:
That and the one where you're on a track suspended in the sky 0_o

you mean Windy Valley? jopp, best jump'n'run ever.

Windyvalley.jpg

Danielsan

First thing that crossed my mind: Looks kinda like Blue Dragon
Second thing that crossed my mind: This game looks pretty damn good
Third thing that crossed my mind: It's a 3D sonic game, it will be shit.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I think there was a bit more lenience for the SA games because we assumed they were a starting point that SEGA would tweak and improve. We were willing to overlook mess-ups because we naively hoped that the mighty Sonic Team would iron them out next time. Or next time. Or maybe the time after that?

Or maybe this one?

It's like my one little cold, black unbroken nostalgia center - reserved for Earthbound and sections of Mario and Sonic - is refusing to let go until SEGA delivers on this one issue!

I AM JOHN! said:
Get away from my series.

I said Shadow the Hedgehog 2. Completely different series(though IMO that should become the 3D series while Sonic sticks with 2D/2.5D).

Considering Sonic Team's record as of late it's fairly apparent that the Sonic-only games are being released as 2D titles(or...well..two-dimensional in Secret Rings' case) and games featuring the entire cast get the full 3D treatment. I say they should start making Sonic a secondary character in the 3D games because for the most part he's already there. Though I guess Sega keeps Sonic on the box because the ESRB would frown on a game titled "Shitty Friends Adventure".

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This looks to have the best art direction of anything Sonic (excluding the Bioware RPG project by a country mile) since Sonic Adventure 1. The graphics actually look next-gen, and not like a yet further upgraded version of the tired, worn out 3D Sonic engine and visual motif.

It's a trap. Cannot trust Sega with anything Sonic.

The absolute miracle from God would be if it comes out this is being developed by an outside studio ala Bioware's game and that's the reason why it actually looks good.

segasonic

Scribble said:
A new post or two every time I refresh. Looks like everyone still has a soft spot for Sonic, and would gladly welcome him back with open arms.
I think it's more like people watching a train wreck.

old%20train%20wreck.jpg

Pretty sure it's not on the public Sega PR ftp, I've been through every recently updated folder. That doesn't rule out the possibility of other ones.

bigmakstudios said:
Remember Nintendo ON?
See, the next question would be "why?"

Faking a new Nintendo system announcement, maybe worthwhile for the publicity and lulz, but faking a new Sonic game? The juice isn't worth the squeeze, I'd think.

Dever

Banned
What the hell are you people talking about? :lol Not possible? As good as FFXIII? A good, colourful style does not require much processing power. Sure, those screens may have some extra AA but otherwise there's absolutely nothing that can't be done.

Dever said:
What the hell are you people talking about? :lol Not possible? As good as FFXIII? A good colourful style does not require much processing power. Sure, those screens may have some extra AA but otherwise there's absolutely nothing that can't be done.

True, these shots are real for god's sake. can't wait for the trailer, Sonic is unleashed :D

harSon

Banned
I'm going to be a fucking idiot and believe in Sega once again! They've been making some pretty awesome games as of late :eek:

Game looks promising, and possibly, a return to form. The first 6 screens are obviously in-game and the rest are CG or something, but still, those first 6 screens look pretty good. However, I can't judge the infamous loading times or gameplay/camera issues from these screens.

For the sake of sega and sonic, let's hope this turns out well. It'd be nice to get a GOOD sonic game to go along with Valkyria Chronicles.

GrayFoxPL

sky said:
sonicdonotwant.jpg

I think it looks fine, actually. I just don't trust the final outcome :/ ...

Looks like he's being mouthfucked from a side by some invisible dude.

Yellowguy confirmed?

Btw. I don't understand the shock. I don't see anything great about those shots graphics wise. It's clean so I like it, but it's like cleaner 2006.

Top Bottom