• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Lamel

Banned
qr5kG.gif

YOU AINT GOIN NOWHERE

Shaanyboi

Banned
But WW is playing with the big boys it's coming within spitting distance of GG 2 domestically and looking to end up with amongst the largest comic book movies domestically and that's as a solo movie.
Bruh, WW is an anomaly within the track record of DC movies right now (and a very welcomed one). Unless they can prove they can keep it up with Justice League, expectations are going to remain in the gutter.

Buckle

WW ain't the average DCEU film, though. 1 out of 4 of those turned out good.
Exactly.

Until they actually show they have a good groove/streak going on, the DCEU quality/standard is still BVS, MOS, SS to me.

WW didn't wipe the slate clean alone, they still got work/repairs to do.

LionPride

Banned
No superhero film of the past 7 years is as bad as Suicide Squad. Except for maybe Fantastic 4 but I never saw it.
Fantastic 4 doesn't have a joke about a black man eating crocodile wanting BET and Cara Delevigne pop lockin

It's automatically better despite being not good

Shaanyboi

Banned
It was Suicide Squad levels of bad. Shame the rest of the movie is legit af.
Nah, shit on Ares for being underwhelming all you want, the actual storytelling and character arc for Diana remained perfectly capable. Suicide Squad was an incomprehensible mess. Nothing about WW was even close to that bad.

Most people disliked Act 3

It wasn't good

I didn't hate it, but yeah. It's why I ended up liking it as much as Winter Soldier, where I'm really into most of it until the big spectacle finale. Likewise I felt both had intimate moments within the larger set pieces that were far more engaging. So it felt like a speed bump at worst. Obviously trying to stay away from spoilers.

Oh, right. Spider-Man Homecoming. The high school and day in the life parts are the best and someone said it's like a way better Power Rangers in that regard. But I haven't seen Power Rangers so I don't get the remark.

vaderise

Nah, shit on Ares for being underwhelming all you want, the actual storytelling and character arc for Diana remained perfectly capable. Suicide Squad was an incomprehensible mess. Nothing about WW was even close to that bad.

I'm not shitting on Diana or her character growth. The things done well were done VERY well. But all the good things aside that third act Battle against Ares was...
Something.
I hate the use the word cringe but i don't think i can explain myself any other way. After
Thewlis' character revealed himself as Hades it all went downhill. Just look at this dialogue, i took it straight from IMDB.

Ares: I SHALL DESTROY YOU!
(Lightning bolt, DCEU electric explosion, reflect, boom, bad guy's dead)
Diana Prince: Goodbye, brother.
(Wut?)
And i know it's a minor thing but why the hell they kept Thewlis's moustache when he transformed into Ares. It looked funny and made the already not-so-good scene even worse.

If not these i would easily call Wonder Woman great but these moments in the third act made my eyes roll so much that i can call it just ''good''.

AndersK

Suicide Squad will be the go-to-movie, when the talk comes to absolute clusterfuck waste of potential, for years to come.

Fan4stic had very little in terms of expectations, so that being bad was no big surprise. Even then, it has one decent act (the first) to SS's zero.

Enchantress is also somehow worse than Victor von Alt-right. Somehow.

Let's not go there with WW's last act. Nah, man. It's cool you didn't feel it, but it was at the very least levels above SS'S

wmlk

People are really talking shit about Tobey's Spider-Man, when it's so obvious how much better those movies are than any other Spider-Man.

A big thing about those movies is making Peter personable. They pulled that off extremely well.

ramparter

Banned
Fantastic 4 doesn't have a joke about a black man eating crocodile wanting BET and Cara Delevigne pop lockin

It's automatically better despite being not good
I honestly believe I could have written and directed a better FF and I have never said that before and never will. It was so bad I felt embarrassed for the people that did it, if I was part of it I wouldnt want anyone to know.

OmegaFax

The movie may be really good ... but this incarnation of Spider-Man's origin story is a Civil War cameo and a series of product commercials (Dell, Sony PSVR, ESPN). I don't think I've seen a more "crammed down my throat" approach in the past year to promote this actor and character more than Tom Holland's and his Spider-Man.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bruh, WW is an anomaly within the track record of DC movies right now (and a very welcomed one). Unless they can prove they can keep it up with Justice League, expectations are going to remain in the gutter.

Seems more like the opposite. Not a single DC movie post Man of steel has made less than 700 mil despite two of them being awful whereas a good dc movie is up there with some of marvels best on it's debut film. The floor for dc movies just seem to be way higher than marvels. If these movies were actually good and thus had legs they'd be doing way better than marvels average.

LionPride

Banned
The movie may be really good ... but this incarnation of Spider-Man's origin story is a Civil War cameo and a series of product commercials (Dell, Sony PSVR, ESPN). I don't think I've seen a more "crammed down my throat" approach in the past year to promote this actor and character more than Tom Holland's and his Spider-Man.
And it's worked because people are ready to see the movie, selling a third Spider-Man in 16 years and 6 movies is hard. They've marketed well

Shaanyboi

Banned
Seems more like the opposite. Not a single DC movie post Man of steel has made less than 700 mil despite two of them being awful whereas a good dc movie is up there with some of marvels best on it's debut film. The floor for dc movies just seem to be way higher than marvels. If these movies were actually good and thus had legs they'd be doing way better than marvels average.
You keep making this about box office as if that's what anyone cares about when talking about the quality of these movies.

No. His origin story is his Uncle Ben died. Don't be that guy lmao.

No no

It wasn't that bad

Wonder Woman's third act? Definitely was. It was really jarring seeing that unfold in a theater.

Fant4stic surprisingly has a pretty damn decent first act. It completely goes off the rail from there on and becomes the piece of shit we all know it to be now. Hoping one more failure will be enough for Fox to take the hint and let the shit go. Even more than the X-Men, the first family belongs in the MCU.

It was Suicide Squad levels of bad. Shame the rest of the movie is legit af.

Completely ridiculous hyperbole. WW act 3 doesn't hold up as well as the rest of the movie, but at least it's a functional piece of storytelling with competent direction and editing.

Hold up, who's talking shit about the Rami Spiderman? They are still the best SM movies ever and 1 and 2 are some of the best super hero movies ever. Don't let SM3 fool you; SM1 and 2 were fucking amazing

Pachimari

1 is to me the best Spidey movie there's been, while 2 is strangely boring. 3 had a very good first hour and then shits the bed.

Also, I really liked Wondy's third act. I loved her whole realization and then stuff happens.

The One and Done™;241733103 said:
Hold up, who's talking shit about the Rami Spiderman? They are still the best SM movies ever and 1 and 2 are some of the best super hero movies ever. Don't let SM3 fool you; SM1 and 2 were fucking amazing

Yeah.

No.

The One and Done™;241733103 said:
*high fives*

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You keep making this about box office as if that's what anyone cares about when talking about the quality of these movies.

I sure if your talking about quality from a critical perspective DC has a long way to go though they certainly have an audience. If we're talking quality though the MCU doesn't even have the highest rated films from it's own properties, Fox has them soundly beat.

I sure if your talking about quality from a critical perspective DC has a long way to go though they certainly have an audience. If we're talking quality though the MCU doesn't even have the highest rated films from it's own properties, Fox has them soundly beat.

Fox has DoFP and Logan (yuck on both counts) and what else lighting up the aggregate critic scores, exactly?

Khasim

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

vWLo25.gif

Read the spoilers,
Zendaya being MJ
is going to make people a lot of people really angry if that's true.

It's like they are using names of known characters and then making them completely different characters, while also doing the complete opposite - Ned Leeds being Ganke + spoiler just makes me go "why"?

Everyone always quote Green Goblin, but Alfred Melina's Doc Ock is pretty awesome too.

"The power of the sun... the palm of my heads!"

"You want to go to him? You've go to go through us"
"Very well"

He also has a full and interesting character arc, unlike many milquetoast villains in other superhero films.

Jay Sosa

Not much of a Spiderman fan (especially after those godawful last 3 movies), but I loved the actor in Civil War..that plus all the positive reviews might convince me to go see this movie after all.

Spider-Man 2 is better than any of the MCU films, you all are wack.

I certainly wouldn't go that far but it is, without a doubt, one of the better superhero movies.

MisterHero

Everyone always quote Green Goblin, but Alfred Melina's Doc Ock is pretty awesome too.

"Very well"

He also has a full and interesting character arc, unlike many milquetoast villains in other superhero films.
I want to make a gif of him going "Butterfingers!" His head motion is hilarious.

literally nothing in this sentence is true

Prompto

Banned

"Very well"

Alfred Molina's Doc Ock > Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin tbh. Both are great though

LionPride

Banned
I disliked how the Raimi movies tried to make every villain except for Venom seem like a tragic figure

Otto Octavius isn't a tragic hero, he's a dick
Norman Osbourne is a fucking sociopath who stole Peter's girl and made him deal with it
Flint Marko is just an asshole

No tragic figures and they don't need one.

Plus the Raimi movies ain't good Spider-Man movies

Decent movies but not Spider-Man movies

Shaanyboi

Banned
I guess not everything can be X-Men Apocalypse...

Fox has some amazing, visionary highs, but their quality has been wildly inconsistent.

I disliked how the Raimi movies tried to make every villain except for Venom seem like a tragic figure

Norman Osbourne is a fucking sociopath who stole Peter's girl and made him deal with it

tumblr_lyahi6IS7j1qbte00.gif

Guardians 2 did the
last act final battle between godlike family members
better imo but I loved the (unintentional?) cheese from WW a lot more.

This is how you get me in these threads dying on the "they're not good Spider-Man movies" hill. Tobey being a horrible Peter is literally just the tip of the iceberg. My nigga.

I guess not everything can be X-Men Apocalypse...

Fox has some amazing, visionary highs, but their quality has been wildly inconsistent.

Fox has the worst visuals in the comic book film business. Full stop.

Daft_Cat

Spider-Man 2 is better than any of the MCU films, you all are wack.

tumblr_nou02xi5Hz1tmbt87o1_500.gif

belee dat

In all seriousness, the fact that Spider-Man Homecoming even comes close to those first two films (especially the second) is fantastic news. Keep in mind most critics probably mean that as a huge complement. It's sort of like a brand new Star Wars flick somehow managing to nestle in right behind ESB. You could do a whole lot worse.

Toa TAK

Banned
What

Just because you don't care for that particular interpretation of the character doesn't make them any less valid as "Spider-Man movies" (whatever *that* means).

Hopefully Homecoming quells that shit, already.

Top Bottom