• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 4: Thomas Haden Church Believes Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire Will Return

bitbydeath

Don’t screw it up and I'll be there day one.

"But Sandman, there's been some rumors that they might ask me to do another Spider-Man, and I'd do it tomorrow," Church continued. "You know, they've never asked me to show up in another movie, another Marvel film," he added when ComicBook.com's Chris Killian suggested Secret Wars as a possible place for Church to pop up. "But, you know, I think Sam is gonna do another Spider-Man with Tobey [Maguire], and that's the one that ... They had an option for me to do Spiderman 4 when there was going to be a Spiderman 4. They had an option on me to come back. So if it happens, that would be fantastic. I'm getting a little old."

Trilobit

I could see myself attending the Theater for this one. Let it be so..

Me too!

Tobey-Maguire-as-Peter-Parker-in-Spider-Man-3.jpg

Last edited:

Sybrix

This is an MCU Spiderman or a Sony Spiderman like Venom is a Sony film......? If the latter, i'm worried.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think Sam would do another Spidey maybe but I don’t think he is doing one with Toby.

What contract would this be a non marvel only Sony Spider-Man.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sam Raimi doesn't have time to make Spider-Man 4 when he's directing Secret Wars (with Tobey in it).

Venom, Morbius & Madam Web suck.

Don't worry Kraven and Venom 3 this year will be massive hits that cause the Sony Spider-Man universe to become the biggest movie franchise in history.

Last edited:

YCoCg

So are we at the point now where Spider-Man 3 is now considered "so bad it's good" rather than just sucking?

Nvzman

The first two movies are genuinely my favorite films. Especially 2. The energy, directing style, cinematography, Danny Elfman's score, the fight scenes, the writing, I love everything about them! I'll never forget how I felt seeing 2 in theaters.
Spider-Man 3 isnt bad, but it's not great either, it's just ok. I like it more than most MCU films, because it's still trying to have a message and a theme and has some style to it, but the film is so disjointed (as it was a LOT of executive meddling) that it has some really bad scenes and Venom just doesn't work well. If Raimi got to do 3 with just Sandman/Harry, I think it would have been just as great as the first two, because Sandman is pretty great in 3.

Doom85

If I could make a good comparison, it is like the Star Wars: Episode 3 of Spiderman movies.

Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek

Considering many see Episode 3 as “the actual good one” of the prequels, that’s a potentially confusing comparison as people would assume you’re then saying you think Spidey 1 and 2 are bad. You probably meant for the comparison to work in isolation (so just ignoring Episode 1 and 2 altogether), but since Spidey 3 and Episode 3 are both the third film of a trilogy, people will inevitably assume you’re also comparing the first Spidey to Episode 1 and Spidey 2 to Episode 2.

Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

Considering many see Episode 3 as “the actual good one” of the prequels, that’s a potentially confusing comparison as people would assume you’re then saying you think Spidey 1 and 2 are bad. You probably meant for the comparison to work in isolation (so just ignoring Episode 1 and 2 altogether), but since Spidey 3 and Episode 3 are both the third film of a trilogy, people will inevitably assume you’re also comparing the first Spidey to Episode 1 and Spidey 2 to Episode 2.
Apologies, to clarify I meant just those two movies themselves, having the same trajectory from being hated to beloved cult classics full of meme content.

bitbydeath

Venom, Morbius & Madam Web suck.
Vs

The Marvels, Ant-Man Quantamania, Thor Love and Thunder.

I’d say the Sony’s movies you mentioned are still better.
Let’s not pretend the MCU is still as good as it was back when Infinity War released.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Vs

Let’s not pretend the MCU is still as good as it was back when Infinity War released.
I'd only say Venom is better than those other 3. Morbius and Madam Web are absolute garbage. Like, not even close to the other ones. MCU might not be as good as before, but they at least still seem to be trying for a quality product. Morbius and madam Web literally give me "The producers" vibes. Like Sony knows they'll not make their money back, so they don't need to try hard and will just take the tax write-off.

Saber

Gold Member
So are we at the point now where Spider-Man 3 is now considered "so bad it's good" rather than just sucking?

It was bad enought to create fun memories and memes. And its not like I'm saying 3 is good, I still believe its the worst of the trilogy. But even so is still better than any Spider-man afteward, specially MCU Spider-man. I honestly astonish seeing people like that take on Spider-man and even more astonish since I think the actor sucked real bad.

bitbydeath

I'd only say Venom is better than those other 3. Morbius and Madam Web are absolute garbage. Like, not even close to the other ones. MCU might not be as good as before, but they at least still seem to be trying for a quality product. Morbius and madam Web literally give me "The producers" vibes. Like Sony knows they'll not make their money back, so they don't need to try hard and will just take the tax write-off.
Meh, I’d say they are on par with one another but Venom is the standout.

I really kind of like the Holland films. They were great. Hell, even Andrew Garfield was a good Spider-Man.

Last edited:

K' Dash

This is an MCU Spiderman or a Sony Spiderman like Venom is a Sony film......? If the latter, i'm worried.

They need to give Raimi free rein to do whatever the hell he wants to do, there are only a couple super hero movies on the level of SM2.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Vs

100%

Neither are any good now.

I will say Spider-Man No Way Home was great, i'd rather have that creativity for Spiderman 3 than any Sony-Verse interference.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I would be hyped at the prospect of this, were it not for the fact that modern Sony Pictures is run by complete fucking idiots.

They'd ruin it.

Better to dream about what could be, than to see it become terrible, terrible reality.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Spider-Man 3 shits on 80% of the MCU movies released post Infinity War, let alone MCU Spider-Man.
Yet I have no trust for a potential SM4 to be good with today's Marvel or Sony.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, I really hope this happens. Tobey is THE Spidey to me. Seeing him return in that multiverse Spider-Man was the most fun I’ve had with a superhero movie in years.

Pagusas

Elden Member
nope and we never will be. It will forever be the biggest let down in cinema history for me. How you go from Spiderman 2 to... that POS is beyond any form of understanding.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I love picturing the fathers and uncles in these movie theaters appeasing their children/Twitter posters. These are guys that haven't seen any movie released past 1980 more than one time - some of it awake, even. They Know superheroes and the basic lore. They Know Batman can't fly and Captain America has a shield.

I imagine these guys are dragged out to this theater like once a year, or once every other year. And like...they watch an hour of Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man, and they think "wtf why do they keep remaking this?" and then next year it's Spider-Man but there's Samuel L. Jackson and all anyone gives a shit about is sucking the life force out of Tony Stark's corpse. Fast forward, I imagine the same guys, just absolutely blitzed off their mind on the homegrown skunk weed they get on discount from Tim up the road toward the woods, because like...they just know at this point.

Enter fucking Tobey McGuire, who's like 85 in Hollywood years. He's stumbling about making meme references to his back while Raimi is sticking as many Xena: Warrior Princess actor cameos in the background as he can. Andrew Garfield shows up. These guys looked at their kingdom, they were finally there. Sat on their Thrones, as the Kings of Bel-Air

Last edited:
My guess is Sony will try to eventually do a live action Miles Morales trilogy and try to capture the magic of the first two Maguire films

BlackTron

It was bad enought to create fun memories and memes. And its not like I'm saying 3 is good, I still believe its the worst of the trilogy. But even so is still better than any Spider-man afteward, specially MCU Spider-man. I honestly astonish seeing people like that take on Spider-man and even more astonish since I think the actor sucked real bad.

I thought his introduction in MCU worked pretty well in Civil War. So when his own movie showed up, the new SM already had credibility and everyone was excited to see him. I found the Holland movies easy enough to sit through, but by the end you have absolutely no desire to ever go back again...like one-off consumed products. Not a great bar for either MCU or Spider-Man movies.

Meanwhile ancient old SM2 must be up there with Iron Man 1 and Dark Knight for best superhero movies ever.

bitbydeath

I would be hyped at the prospect of this, were it not for the fact that modern Sony Pictures is run by complete fucking idiots.

They'd ruin it.

Better to dream about what could be, than to see it become terrible, terrible reality.
I wouldn’t lump all of Sony Pictures in with that statement.

Bullet Train was one of the best action movies we’ve had in years/decades;
No Hard Feelings was one of the best comedy movies we’ve had in years/decades;

When they do well, they really do well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom