• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

He swung in and gave Falcon a front kick.

Swung on Bucky. Threw a car at him too.

I can give you that (for purely fanboy reasons, which I understand) but the rest is more closer to the comics than whatever the stark suit is.

It…isn't?

I mean, outside of the general colour scheme, to me they're very different suits, lads.

I mean, Tony even drastically redesigned the Spider-Man logo, for crying out loud.

They're literally the same suit, except one is homemade and doesn't have the logo or webbing. What are you talking about?

I get not liking the black lines. I didn't like em at first either, but they've grown on me. Regardless, take those away, and you've got a pretty comic accurate Spidey suit. Only one closer was ASM2's.

Hell, ASM's>>>Raimi's.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I actually kinda like the black strips on the red portion of the costume, but those thinner lines on the blue have got to go or at least toned down and made less busy.

yeah same, I could do without the black lines on the blue parts but have come around to the other black parts. reminds me of one of the superior spider man costumes.

4864350-otto_octavius_%28earth-616%29_from_superior_spider-man_team-up_special_vol_1_1_001.jpg

We can get closer.

CmFimVKVAAAza7o.jpg

Just remove all those weird-ass, pointless black lines covering the blue section of the outfit and we're golden, darling.

Y'know, those lines don't bother me anymore. Maybe it's the constant exposure but I think they make Spidey fit into the MCU quite well (where everything has extra lines).

It's a good way to have the classic costume but also put your own mark on it without going too far.

SpaceWolf

Banned
They're literally the same suit, except one is homemade and doesn't have the logo or webbing. What are you talking about?

They share visual similarities (mostly in relation to sharing the same colour scheme), but there's a huge visual distinction with both suits, as easily evidenced by the visual comparison I just presented.

If you personally believe they're "literally the same suit", there's honestly no real discussion to be gained here.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
we really don't know how much input Tony had on the design of the suit and gadgets (outside of the spidey signal, which Parker looks surprised at)

i hope theres a line in Homecoming that clarifies that Parker designed it, Stark manufactured it - and added the black parts of the costume

I…ugh. I'm arguing Tony didn't just create Spidey's suit from scratch, which is a stupid thing to debate given Peter's homemade suit is right there. Tony deciding to use better material, throw webbing and the logo on it isn't him creating the fucking suit, just…making it look cooler.

Ahasverus

Meh, the MCU costume looks more like SpiderKid than SpiderMan.

This is #MuhSpiderman and God knows I'd kill for someone to adapt it to the big screen.

torment.jpg

The original/Ditko one is a chump and a relic from the corny hippie days.

Ben Reilly costume is best costume and you know it

This is #MuhSpiderman and God knows I'd kill for someone to adapt it to the big screen.

torment.jpg

The first post in this thread that is actually appalling.

Alienous

we really don't know how much input Tony had on the design of the suit and gadgets (outside of the spidey signal, which Parker looks surprised at)

i hope theres a line in Homecoming that clarifies that Parker designed it, Stark manufactured it - and added the black parts of the costume

(should probably preface this with a 'This is based one of the trailers a few months back')

Peter seems pretty surprised at the suit itself in little clips we've seen, right? Actually it seems like he didn't even know he was getting a new suit, based on some dialogue I think he has we Happy ("why aren't you wearing the suit", "the suit?").

Someone still likes Todd McFarlane in 2017?
But I agree with the spoiler-tagged part. At least if you're talking about Reilly as Spidey and not the Scarlet Spider hoodie.
Which I also like but not as much.

Turns out Tony didn't even make the Spider-Man logo. It was already on Peter's homemade suit.

So Tony adding webbing and the lenses on better material means he created the entire aesthetic of the suit? Lmfao. That doesn't make a lick of sense.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Y'know, those lines don't bother me anymore. Maybe it's the constant exposure but I think they make Spidey fit into the MCU quite well (where everything has extra lines).

It's a good way to have the classic costume but also put your own mark on it without going too far.

Oh sure, I'm just playfully nit-picking. At the end of the day, I think I would prefer the suit without the lines as opposed to actually having them, but naturally it all comes down to personal subjectivity. I just always liked the more simplistic look of Spider-Man's classic outfit in comparison to other heroes, which is why I think I'm a bit more wary of changes that complicate a suit which I admire for its relative simplicity.

Kelsdesu

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J6tTZi5WQDY/T29zUxEC8dI/AAAAAAAALp0/Kq3usD7pY2g/s1600/torme.jpg[IMG]

[SPOILER]Ben Reilly costume is best costume and you know it[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
[img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/tumblr_mfiiuwLlQw1r5chrho1_400.gif

Shit is a mess. Where is he even going?

Ahasverus

Wait, the Macfarlane costume is hated these days? The fuck?
The first post in this thread that is actually appalling.
It's in the eyes, man. The eyes make the difference between goofy and heroic.
Someone still likes Todd McFarlane in 2017?
But I agree with the spoiler-tagged part. At least if you're talking about Reilly as Spidey and not the Scarlet Spider hoodie.
Which I also like but not as much.
Of course, yes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They share visual similarities (mostly in relation to sharing the same colour scheme), but there's a huge visual distinction with both suits, as easily evidenced by the visual comparison I just presented.

If you personally believe they're "literally the same suit", there's honestly no real discussion to be gained here.
They're extraordinarily similar. There's little thing like the size of design on the back and the style of the web pattern emboss but it's nowhere as drastic as your making out. Keep in mind one is am actual suit while the other is an image.

jon bones

Peter seems pretty surprised at the suit itself in little clips we've seen, right? Actually it seems like he didn't even know he was getting a new suit, based on some dialogue I think he has we Happy ("why aren't you wearing the suit", "the suit?").

i havent seen any footage

Alienous

i havent seen any footage

Ugh, my bad. I edited my post thinking that might have been the case, but too late I guess.

I can't tell if the clip I'm thinking of is cut from the movie or part of the crazy marketing campaign they've had, though, if that's any comfort.

They'rd extraordinarily similar. There's little thing like the size of design on the back and the style of the web pattern emboss but it's nowhere as drastic as your making out. Keep in mind one is am actual suit while the other is an image.

Right. "They share visual similarities" is extremely reductive of the fact Peter created the Spider-Man costume template, logo included, and Tony just refined the thing.

The fact you can even look at the homemade suit with no context and say "that's Spider-Man" says it all.

Not the same logo, outside of utilizing a spider motif.

spider-man-homecoming-promo-art-trailer-600x315.jpg

1) That top suit isn't the original homemade suit. The one we see in Civil War has a logo on the chest that's almost identical to what we see in the official Homecoming suit.
2) It doesn't have to be the same logo. The logo changes. Peter changes it a ton over time. It doesn't matter. The fact it has a spider logo on the chest at all is what matters. Peter did that. Tony borrowed from it. Arguing Tony created the damn thing is ludicrous.

phanphare

Banned

torment.jpg

H0RxZnp.gif

Iceternal

torment.jpg

I totally agree with you !

I was born in 1990 and this is the Spidey I grew up with, a badass grown up man.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Right. "They share visual similarities" is extremely reductive of the fact Peter created the Spider-Man costume template, logo included, and Tony just refined the thing.

The fact you can even look at the homemade suit with no context and say "that's Spider-Man" says it all.

1) That top suit isn't the original homemade suit. The one we see in Civil War has a logo on the chest that's almost identical to what we see in the official Homecoming suit.
2) It doesn't have to be the same logo. The logo changes. Peter changes it a ton over time. It doesn't matter. The fact it has a spider logo on the chest at all is what matters. Peter did that. Tony borrowed from it. Arguing Tony created the damn thing is ludicrous.

giphy.gif

My friend, for me personally...Spiderman's homemade suit (which essentially consists of black googles, a mask and red and blue colored sports clothing) is very different in style in comparison to his final Stark suit outside of the colour scheme. If you happen to feel they're "literally the same suit", that's neat...but at the end of the day, this really isn't a subject that's worth getting so heated about.

Platy

nope, not at all the civil war costume is the closest to the classic ditko/romita sr. spider man costume that we've seen

the webbing is right, it's not raised, it has the correct patter, the eyes are right, the spider logo on the front is right, and the spider logo on the back is right. the only real liberties it took are the black parts.

How about NO FUCKING WAY ?

g7OLaQV.png

2pASQ09.png

The size is wrong, the body is a fucking polygon and the legs are all wrong

I love that this thread has become a catalogue of hot takes on the entire history of Spider-Man.

When do we get to someone saying they love the Clone Saga?

I legit tried to give it another shot last week and I bought the first collection on comixology for some reason. Yeah... It was a mistake. I blame nostalgia. I still like the Wieringo / DeZago issues though.

jon bones

actually now that i compare homemade vs civil war, i feel better about it

Ugh, my bad. I edited my post thinking that might have been the case, but too late I guess.

I can't tell if the clip I'm thinking of is cut from the movie or part of the crazy marketing campaign they've had, though, if that's any comfort.

no problem! i actually think i saw that in the nba commercials, so its all good still

Just checking in.

You guys are trying to nitpick your way to a reality where Tony Stark didn't just up and gift Spider-Man's entire visual aesthetic to Peter Parker as a reward for helping him apprehend Captain America, huh?

Nah.

In the MCU, Spidey looks like Spidey because Tony Stark made him look that way.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just checking in.

You guys are trying to nitpick your way to a reality where Tony Stark didn't just up and gift Spider-Man's entire visual aesthetic to Peter Parker as a reward for helping him apprehend Captain America, huh?

Nah.

God bless you, Bobby.

Because in the MCU, people can believe anything— but not that Peter Parker created his own superhero suit.

"He's too poor!"
"where would he get the stuff?"
"He can't even afford a DVD player"
"Look at him."

Again, we currently live in a reality right now where you can hit a convention center in any city on any weekend and find some 18 year old kid with minimal resources and enough time can design, manufacture, and rock a film-ready superhero costume and spend all day getting hit up for instagram flix. But boy genius Peter Parker needed Tony Stark to make and then bequeath upon to him a Spidey Suit.

giphy.gif

My friend, for me personally...Spiderman's homemade suit (which essentially consists of black googles, a mask and red and blue colored sports clothing) is very different in style in comparison to his final Stark suit outside of the colour scheme. If you happen to feel they're "literally the same suit", that's neat...but at the end of the day, this really isn't a subject that's worth getting so heated about.

You're so cool for not wanting to argue on an Internet forum lol.

At the end of the day, all of these Spidey suits are pretty much the same thing, some exceptions like the Human Spider fit aside. The original, Miles Morales', Scarlet Spider's…all derivatives of the classic look. Tony Stark no more created the suit than Octavius created Superior Spidey's. They're both just sorta different but not really spins on the first one.

Just checking in.

Nah.

Except that isn't what happened lol. We all saw that homemade suit. Cut the shit.

Top Bottom