• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Prompto

Banned
yynm6fB.gif

God, I really need to see 2.1 one of these days.

You really don't. The new scenes are either glaringly-obvious CG cutscenes they stapled onto the film to sell more DVDs (Like the extension of the subway train fight, I never thought I'd say that I was fine with less, but GOD what they added does not mesh well at all), or they're extraneous material that deserved to be left on the cutting room floor.

The last thing I want people revisiting Spidey 2 to do is watched the Extended Cut under the pretense that it's the optimal film experience. I wonder if the same guy behind 2.1 was behind the new Spider-Man 3 extended cut too.

The theatrical cut is better.

2.1 doesn't have "GOOooOooO"
hqdefault.jpg

Also this.

This thread is making me remember that Spider-Man is a great fucking superhero.

We just don't get scenes like this in super-hero comic movies anymore. Back in 2004, in that theater, I believed every word spoken here. Is this even the case now?

Remember how the Conners had a video explaining his villainous plan all cued up to play for Peter to discover.

ASM was pretty clunky...

I will say this though, the fight in the high school was pretty on point

Spinluck

That quick zoom to imply the coming motion of the train. Genius. Love you, Raimi <3

Raimi did cool shit like this in all of the action.

The way he uses space was really clever.

There was one video analyzing the Goblin death scene in SM1 that highlights this.

So it's the best Spiderman movie? SM2 is super over-rated.

Yeah, I said it.

Raimi trilogy sits at a weird spot among the people I know.

My friends acknowledge the first two are good, but they will collectively disagree with me when I say SM2 is among the best in the genre. Some even say the first is the best (my dad who hates superhero movies says this).

They usually tell me that it's no where near TDK. But that's usually where it ends. Guess Raimi cheese just isn't that charming to everyone. And it's weird because I remember the film so much more than them. Perhaps it just doesn't resonate with some people or the MCI just changed their preferences within the genre.

It's funny because TASM was supposedly tonally inspired by Nolan's Batman, and that film lacked charm or any personality and had to be carries by Garfield and Stone. TASM2 tried to raise up the camp factor and ended up being TASM after Avi Arad ate it, vommited it, ate it again, and then shat it back out.

After seeing Holland in CW, I think he might be my favorite Spidey. He reminds me of me as kid. This is the first movie Spidey that is actually a fucking teenager and not a grown ass man playing HS. I know he's gonna be 20 by the second film but fuck it I'm in.

Razgreez

As somebody who grew up on "Spiderman: The Animated Series" I really did not like neither Spiderman 1, 2 nor 3. In it PP was so frustratingly naive and unintelligent and the web magically shooting out of his wrists was laughable - I suppose he wasn't smart enough to build web-shooters so it fits in an ironic way. They came across more along the lines of early 00s style teenage/early adult series in movie form.

ASM and its sequel swung more towards the right direction but didn't quite hit the mark neither. We know for a fact that this is a MCU movie, which for some reason garner high scores from reviewers most of the time even though I find them quite droll so... Yeah, no real expectations here. Eyes open, brain off and enjoy

Yes, because that's not a willfully reductionist means of dismissing the eloquent, extensive and critically insightful way the guy offers an analysis of the movies at all.

It would be a lot more critically insightful and taken far more seriously then if he left out the "Hulk smash" nonsense. It actually makes it tough to read and even get through to attempt to find the points he's trying to make because of all the speaking in first person childishness.

It just makes it very silly and unprofessional when taken as a serious review of anything - just my opinion, mind you.

Yeah, I was wondering if people came to their own conclusions before seeing this or if it was a "I'll wait and see what Hulk's opinion is before making my own because I wouldn't want to seem like a dumb plebe enjoying something he doesn't".

I took my son to see ASM2 as like his second theater movie or something and I went in with negative impressions in my head because of GAF and actually came out entertained. Even dug that score that got shat on because hating wub wub was a thing.

I just picked up ASM 1+2 cheap last night and got through 1. I actually felt the same as that Hulk person about it not having a good story arc, but it was still entertaining.

I actually watched The Amazing Spider-Man movies before I'd ever read anything on movie Gaf about them and I'm glad I did it that way. I enjoyed them and they're thoroughly entertaining. I also like the Spider-man suit in them. This Hulk guy saying that there's no story in the original The Amazing Spider-Man...then what the fuck did I watch? I understood every second of it and I wished it went on longer when the credits started to roll.

Opinions are opinions I guess.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As somebody who grew up on "Spiderman: The Animated Series" I really did not like neither Spiderman 1, 2 nor 3. In it PP was so frustratingly naive and unintelligent and the web magically shooting out of his wrists was laughable - I suppose he wasn't smart enough to build web-shooters so it fits in an ironic way. They came across more along the lines of early 00s style teenage/early adult series in movie form.

ASM and its sequel swung more towards the right direction but didn't quite hit the mark neither. We know for a fact that this is a MCU movie, which for some reason garner high scores from reviewers most of the time even though I find them quite droll so... Yeah, no real expectations here. Eyes open, brain off and enjoy

Pretty much exactly my experiences and opinion though I have a higher opinion of the MCU. Most of my interactive of the character's is that he's generally reasonably intelligent wide cracking guy. The Raimi's film's version was neither of those things. It became painfully awkward when they tried to put him through the black suit arc in 3. Which generally results in a more aggressive cockier version of himself but there isn't an.aggressive or cocky bone in that versions body so they turned him into angsty emo. Hardly the vision if someone on a power trip.

Toa TAK

Banned
Don't.. all of them have mask webbing?

Isn't that the inherent design of Spider-Man is that the dudenhas webbing everywhere?

Sometimes his armpits?

okdakor

The only real thing I dislike about Stark designing Spider-Man's suit is that they didn't show him snatching some designs from Peter, or something like that.

The suit was more or less already designed, red and blue, goggles, web shooters... Tony Stark is doing his part : he just pays for everything, designs everything, makes everyone look cooler.

Ahasverus

ew, look at that mask webbing

bless the new costume, actually getting it right
Nope. its only sin was the 3D webbing. Otherwise it looks far closer to what I'd consider the real iconic Spiderman costume, which is this.
I also liked when the movies looked good and it looked red, and not soft pink.
(And people call the DCEu washed out, l-o-l)
The MCU one has those round eyes (ugh) and those horrible black parts, and the webbing is so thin it's not visible from afar. Worst cinematic costume by far.

Nope. its only sin was the 3D webbing. Otherwise it looks far closer to what I'd consider the real iconic Spiderman costume, which is this.

(And people call the DCEu washed out, l-o-l)
The MCU one has those round eyes (ugh) and those horrible black parts, and the webbing is so thin it's not visible from afar. Worst cinematic costume by far.

Wh-…what?

I feel this is a pretty big over-statement.

For all intents and purposes, Tony took the idea of Peter's being red and blue and designed the iconic Spiderman outfit from scratch.

How is he designing it from scratch if he took Peter's homemade suit as a template?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Absolutely. High five, my dude!

giphy.gif

Marvel dodged a bullet
DBqTt-3WAAEmt88.jpg

Raised webbing can now go away forever.

The MCU suit really is pitch-perfect. So glad they didn't mess with the iconic design of the classic suit as a means of differentiating this Spidey from previous film incarnations, who obviously had very similar outfits, despite the minor variations.

Though I probably would have liked this outfit more in Civil War if it wasn't an obvious CGI cartoon.

phanphare

Banned

I wasn't even talking about the raised webbing though that shit helped ruin the costume too

I'm talking about how it's symmetrical on a horizontal line when it shouldn't be and also that the lines intersect in the raimi version

hjvlwqhfugulqdbzph0s.png

you see how there's a line going down the center of his forehead in that one but not down the center of his nose? that's how it's done. symmetrical on a vertical line, not a horizontal line. also you see how none of the lines intersect in the middle between his eyes?

now compare that to the raimi version

p6ohrCbE.png

garbage garbage garbage in every aspect

But Cap beat his ass with no sympy in Civil War

Spidey looks like a chump to me
This actually reminds me that Spider-Man doesn't doesn't throw a punch or kick outside of the one he gave Cap. And that was just him swinging Cap into his outstretched leg. I don't know if it's intentional but I took it as Spider-Man not wanting to splatter his opponents all over the ground.

This actually reminds me that Spider-Man doesn't doesn't throw a punch or kick outside of the one he gave Cap. And that was just him swinging Cap into his outstretched leg. I don't know if it's intentional but I took it as Spider-Man not wanting to splatter his opponents all over the ground.
He swung in and gave Falcon a front kick.

Ahasverus

you see how there's a line going down the center of his forehead in that one but not down the center of his nose? that's how it's done. symmetrical on a vertical line, not a horizontal line. also you see how none of the lines intersect in the middle between his eyes?

garbage garbage garbage in every aspect
I can give you that (for purely fanboy reasons, which I understand) but the rest is more closer to the comics than whatever the stark suit is.

Platy

I still think that Amazing Spider-Man 2 had the best costume but MCU is SO CLOSE ... only need is a bigger chest spider and bigger eyes

edit :
Also kinda funny how the bigger spider chest simbol on the jacket in the noob suit makes it almost like Scarlet Spider xD

#HollandIsActuallyAClone

phanphare

Banned
I can give you that (for purely fanboy reasons, which I understand) but the rest is more closer to the comics than whatever the stark suit is.

nope, not at all the civil war costume is the closest to the classic ditko/romita sr. spider man costume that we've seen

the webbing is right, it's not raised, it has the correct patter, the eyes are right, the spider logo on the front is right, and the spider logo on the back is right. the only real liberties it took are the black parts.

W4jRZ.jpg

f1d34998651b78e8c7773eef764d0f43.jpg

vs. this abomination

Hero-Catcher-Custom-Made-Raimi-Spider-Man-font-b-Cosplay-b-font-Costume-Raimi-font-b.jpg

MCU Spidey is the closest we'll ever get to this and I wouldn't want it any other way.

yep

Yeah, I actually kinda like the black strips on the red portion of the costume, but those thinner lines on the blue have got to go or at least toned down and made less busy.

Alienous

The suit was more or less already designed, red and blue, goggles, web shooters... Tony Stark is doing his part : he just pays for everything, designs everything, makes everyone look cooler.

But Stark, seemingly, put the webbing on the suit. Which just seems like a weird thing for him to have done. Manufactured the fabric and lenses? Sure. But he, or someone he employs, must have thought "You know what, let's put a web pattern on the suit - that'll look really cool". I can imagine a teenager doing that when designing their superhero outfit, but it doesn't make sense for Stark (who isn't a designer) to have done it.

Top Bottom