• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Trailer for the live action Aladdin movie

kunonabi

That looks super cheap. Like Disney Channel cheap. I'm still going to pass. Of course I can't even go back and watch the original because Disney screwed that up too.

Honestly I think Mulan is probably the only one of these remakes I'll see since it could actually be an improvement on the original.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Jungle Book was fantastic, this I'm a little apprehensive because of two things.

Okay maybe one thing, it will have to be a really good performance to make one not miss the Robin Williams Genie.

Grinchy

Banned
This actually looked pretty sweet all the way up until they showed the actor's face. Then it looked really lame and cheap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This actually looked pretty sweet all the way up until they showed the actor's face. Then it looked really lame and cheap.

He literally looks like every dude that plays Aladdin for the meet & greets at Disney World or Disneyland.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xiaoki

He literally looks like every dude that plays Aladdin for the meet & greets at Disney World or Disneyland.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
OK .....So .....uh .....what is he supposed to look like then?

He looked like a guy in an Aladdin costume. But, then, Mowgli was the same way. And Belle and Cinderella and every other live action Disney remake from now on. Gotta have that visual branding.

Last edited:

He looked like a guy in an Aladdin costume. But, then, Mowgli was the same way. And Belle and Cinderella and every other live action Disney remake from now on. Gotta have that visual branding.

I think they should eventually try doing full CG remakes ala pixar movies.

bitbydeath

His clothes look too clean, he has facial hair and looks like he’s doing quite well for himself physically (not skinny or sickly looking enough)

teaser-trailer-aladdin.jpg

Aladdin is meant to be poor and living on the street but he looks like he’s just come from a private school to pick up a lamp he found... IMO

Even his hair is slick and shiny, why is he so damn clean looking?

Last edited:

AfricanKing

His clothes look too clean, he has facial hair and looks like he’s doing quite well for himself physically (not skinny or sickly looking enough)

teaser-trailer-aladdin.jpg

Aladdin is meant to be poor and living on the street but he looks like he’s just come from a private school to pick up a lamp he found... IMO

Even his hair is slick and shiny, why is he so damn clean looking?

I take it you haven't watched the animated version. It's a kids movie what are you looking for an actual depiction of a poor Middle Eastern man. Disney magic son

bitbydeath

I take it you haven't watched the animated version. It's a kids movie what are you looking for an actual depiction of a poor Middle Eastern man. Disney magic son

Are you talking a different version to the movie? That Aladdin looks rich. Look at his clothes and how clean he is.
Here's the cartoon variant.

aladdin-27.png

Malnourished, few clothes cause he can't afford them. There's also a scene where he's getting a ton of dirt out of his hair.

AfricanKing

Is this where your line of belief drops off ..

Like The Flying Carpet , The Magical Cave , The Talking Bird , The Monkey with more sense then a Human and an all powerful Genie is okay , but you can't believe a man who is meant to look poor looks clean for a 2 second clip

Dacon

Banned
He has a good point, I don't get why youre trying to talk him down for that.

I think this whole thing looks pretty bad ngl but hopefully the actually film looks better.

bitbydeath

Is this where your line of belief drops off ..

Like The Flying Carpet , The Magical Cave , The Talking Bird , The Monkey with more sense then a Human and an all powerful Genie is okay , but you can't believe a man who is meant to look poor looks clean for a 2 second clip

It’s the premise for which the entire story is built off.

Akuza89

Yeah I'm not too sure on the teaser, I'll wait to give my proper opinion on it when the full trailer comes out... I hate teasers for a trailer.

Btw. Why are will smith and guy Ritchie in the credits?!
Last I heard, will Smith is being the genie... So... yeah...

Last edited:

NahaNago

I thought it looked kinda cheap as well. They really should have done something more with the sand and aladdin just didn't seem right. He is suppose to be some grubby street urchin thief but he looks just too clean in that cave especially after having traveled on a camel all that time. The music was kinda off as well and I was trying to tie it to other movies instead of feeling like it was Aladdin.

iconmaster

Banned
it will have to be a really good performance to make one not miss the Robin Williams Genie.

You can't bottle that lightning again. Probably they'll go with a more serious genie rather than attempt it.

Edit: TIL that the new genie is Will Smith. Huh.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
otm on the cheapness. as Disney/Netflix continue their march towards being the only media companies around we will see movies look more and more like tv and cheaper and cheaper. note the copious use of showing footage too dark to see. this is a classic trick, if it's dark enough you can't tell how cheap it looks. this is the new corporate media style and imo it is over-used in movies, they are all dark desaturated slogs.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
They really should have done something more with the sand and aladdin just didn't seem right. He is suppose to be some grubby street urchin thief but he looks just too clean in that cave especially after having traveled on a camel all that time.

And he just got out of prison too! What sort of Club Fed did Jafar have him locked up in?

Pagusas

Elden Member
he doesn't seem very attractive, kinda surprised by that. Whats the actors name? Maybe its just a really unflattering shot.

Eh, seeing the Disney versions of these tales redone in live action just holds no appeal for me. The Disney movies being animated was part of the "magic".

cryptoadam

Banned
I like Beauty and the Beast so I am looking forward to this. Actually excited to see how they do the genie and the animal characters and the magic carpet ride. Also the songs are classic so there will be that at least.

I am actually even more looking forward to the melt down on twitter and social media while people try to find anything and everything offensive about this movie to stir up controversy.

Mr Hyde

Guy Ritchie as the director doesn´t exactly evoke any hype. The trailer looked to go in fashion with the remakes of Beauty and the Beast and the Jungle Book, meaning 110% green screen and a "too clean, too pretty" overall visual style with the CG, looking cheap and plastic. The only reason I wanna see these movies is because I love the original cartoons. Lion King is already lined up as the next sacrifice so fingers crossed for a future adaptation of Robin Hood.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

He just looks very sanitized is all. Read into my comment however you wish.

Super Mario

Banned
Can't wait to see how much liberal garbage they cram into this one like they did for Beauty and the Beast.

I'll still watch though. I loved Aladdin

kunonabi

What "liberal garbage" did they cram into Beauty and the Beast?

Made Gaston's buddy gay, tons of token diversity casting, and some half-assed feminist stuff. Most of it wasnt that overt but the diversity casting stuck out like a sore thumb.

Super Mario

Banned
What "liberal garbage" did they cram into Beauty and the Beast?

Made Gaston's buddy gay, tons of token diversity casting, and some half-assed feminist stuff. Most of it wasnt that overt but the diversity casting stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also the scene where Gaston attacks the Beast and the bow and arrow is replaced with a gun for gun violence. The movie stays very true to the original, except for this clear agenda push

Also the scene where Gaston attacks the Beast and the bow and arrow is replaced with a gun for gun violence. The movie stays very true to the original, except for this clear agenda push
mulan is going to replace the villain dude with a witch/evil sorceress last time i check

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

the damn liberals and their agenda to promote diversity..

Weiji

Banned
Haha, looks like the hired a male H&M model as Aladdin. But that might be on purpose... they know their audience...

Can’t wait for the PG love scene with Jasmine that plays like an overly sexualized MTV music video.

Top Bottom