• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Teen Titans’ Live-Action Movie a Go at DC Studios

Draugoth

Gold Member
Teen-Titans-and-Ana-Nogueira-Split-Getty-H-2024.jpg

The comic book movie division of Warner Bros. Discovery has tapped Ana Nogueira to pen the screenplay for the project. The hiring further ensconces the actress and playwright-turned scribe into the DC family as she is already writing Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow for the label.​

via Hollywood Reporter

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmmm, an actress with virtually no writing credits to her name gets TWO DC projects? She is either blessed with a superhero muse or is just willing to put her name to whatever Gunn is doing for scriptwriting over there.

Doom85

Hmmm, an actress with virtually no writing credits to her name gets TWO DC projects? She is either blessed with a superhero muse or is just willing to put her name to whatever Gunn is doing for scriptwriting over there.

You’re assuming they’ll go with her script for both. Movies often have multiple scripts submitted by different writers until the studio and director find one they’re happy with. For example, in the 90’s, Kevin Smith’s script was FAR from the only one submitted for a potential new Superman movie that never got picked up. Watchmen had quite a few scripts submitted throughout the years

Teen Titans will likely be further down the road for Chapter 1 as it was not mentioned in James Gunn’s announcement video (but he did clarify that the 10 announced projects were only part of Chapter 1, so we knew more announcements would eventually happen). So I could see them potentially going with a different script if they’re not happy with her’s as there’s plenty of time, hell Superman Legacy isn’t due until June 2025.

At least the Supergirl movie will be easier to write for as they’re basing it off specifically Tom King’s Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow mini-series which was excellent (basically True Grit but a galactic journey instead of an old western setting). With Teen Titans, there’s a fuck ton of decades of material to draw from, though one they’ll hopefully draw primarily from New Teen Titans of the 80’s as many consider it the best run of the team.

Regardless, Gunn said in another interview that they’re not letting any production begin until a script is truly finalized and approved, as well as limiting it to two movies and two shows per year max, so that indicates they’re not likely to jump forward with a script they’re not happy with.

Shame Ron Perlman is too old by now, his voice was perfect as Slade in the cartoon (who is called Deathstroke/Slade Wilson in the comics, the cartoon chose to keep it to just Slade as saying the word “Death” that often would be a no-go for a Cartoon Network show) and he had the look of the character unmasked too so he would have nailed the role back in the day. I imagine Deathstroke will be a likely choice for the villain of movie 1, they’ll save Trigon for a later film.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You’re assuming they’ll go with her script for both. Movies often have multiple scripts submitted by different writers until the studio and director find one they’re happy with. For example, in the 90’s, Kevin Smith’s script was FAR from the only one submitted for a potential new Superman movie that never got picked up. Watchmen had quite a few scripts submitted throughout the years

Teen Titans will likely be further down the road for Chapter 1 as it was not mentioned in James Gunn’s announcement video (but he did clarify that the 10 announced projects were only part of Chapter 1, so we knew more announcements would eventually happen). So I could see them potentially going with a different script if they’re not happy with her’s as there’s plenty of time, hell Superman Legacy isn’t due until June 2025.

At least the Supergirl movie will be easier to write for as they’re basing it off specifically Tom King’s Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow mini-series which was excellent (basically True Grit but a galactic journey instead of an old western setting). With Teen Titans, there’s a fuck ton of decades of material to draw from, though one they’ll hopefully draw primarily from New Teen Titans of the 80’s as many consider it the best run of the team.

Regardless, Gunn said in another interview that they’re not letting any production begin until a script is truly finalized and approved, as well as limiting it to two movies and two shows per year max, so that indicates they’re not likely to jump forward with a script they’re not happy with.

Shame Ron Perlman is too old by now, his voice was perfect as Slade in the cartoon (who is called Deathstroke/Slade Wilson in the comics, the cartoon chose to keep it to just Slade as saying the word “Death” that often would be a no-go for a Cartoon Network show) and he had the look of the character unmasked too so he would have nailed the role back in the day. I imagine Deathstroke will be a likely choice for the villain of movie 1, they’ll save Trigon for a later film.
Good thoughts, but the "we have trn projects in mind for chapter 1, 2 a year, but oh yeah no scripts have been written yet" bullshit is what got us cape fatigue in the first place. Veery likely Gunn has already decided on the "role" each film must play in the meta narrative, the major setpieces have already been determined (and may even have begun to be made), and these writers are hired to try to make connective tissue between preset action and plot beats.

Doom85

Good thoughts, but the "we have trn projects in mind for chapter 1, 2 a year, but oh yeah no scripts have been written yet" bullshit is what got us cape fatigue in the first place. Veery likely Gunn has already decided on the "role" each film must play in the meta narrative, the major setpieces have already been determined (and may even have begun to be made), and these writers are hired to try to make connective tissue between preset action and plot beats.

The first Supergirl movie won’t really connect to anything most likely. The Woman of Tomorrow comic they’re adapting is just her deep in space, she meets this alien girl who wants to hire her to help hunt down her father’s murderer and bring him to justice, and they travel throughout the galaxy encountering various obstacles while trying to find the guy. It does go into Kara’s origin and how it connects to this other girl in terms of how much their father meant to each of them, so it can work as an origin film despite it having Supergirl already have been an active hero for a while by the time the story begins.

Lanterns is the one show that does sound like it will connect to a major event, but that makes sense, they’ve said Hal and John are basically uncovering the mystery of what it is and it will be somewhat like True Detective.

I think Gunn is being careful to not go overboard in connecting things. I remember how people initially complained that Guardians 2 “didn’t advance the Infinity Stones plot”, now that’s seen as refreshing in retrospective, and Guardians 3 wasn’t really worried about being connected to the larger Phase storylines either, and again people appreciated it for that.

Like Swamp Thing will likely have a few mild continuity nods, but nothing major. Brave and the Bold will likely be focused on just Bruce, Damien and the League of Assassins, as well as beginning to set up the pre-established Batfamily (I imagine Dick Grayson/Nightwing will appear in some capacity, but characters like Jason, Tim, Barbara, etc. will be merely mentioned or alluded to for the first film). Paradise Island will likely be mostly its own thing, save for presumably setting up Diana. Booster Gold could set things up, but it could easily work as mostly stand alone as well, though I imagine the Blue Beetle(s) will appear to some degree, definitely Ted Kord as he’s Booster’s best friend in the comics, and they might have Jaime play a small role.

Also, some scripts have been done or were already being worked on when they announced a year ago the 10 projects that make up part of Chapter 1. James Gunn said he had already written all the scripts for the Creature Commandos episodes, and that he was in the process of writing Superman Legacy, and is likely finished with that one by now given it’s been over a year. So yeah, I think they’ve had plenty of time to get a good deal of scripts done.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I feel very optimistic about the DCU

Honestly, why?

I'm sure your answer will be James Gunn. But he's working in a clearly extremely disfunctional, poorly managed system at WB, run by a bunch of clueless idiots for the most part. All of whom are still chasing the MCU dollar, despite that waning massively in recent times. Superhero fatigue is very real. The audience won't just turn up anymore. What makes you think they'll come out for stuff like this? Instead of just the big names like Superman and Batman?

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's crazy the TV show got four seasons because I thought it died before the first season was done.
I don't remember anyone ever talking about this show after the reveal, so 49 episodes later I'm amazed to see it got this far without any crossovers in to my regular flow of media/pop culture information.
It's still hilarious Starfire looked like a prostitute.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To be fair, you're kinda optimistic about everything unlike us jaded bastards

Yep. I prefer to have optimism about things I haven't seen yet... Well... Some exceptions... But overall, accurate.

Honestly, why?

I'm sure your answer will be James Gunn. But he's working in a clearly extremely disfunctional, poorly managed system at WB, run by a bunch of clueless idiots for the most part. All of whom are still chasing the MCU dollar, despite that waning massively in recent times. Superhero fatigue is very real. The audience won't just turn up anymore. What makes you think they'll come out for stuff like this? Instead of just the big names like Superman and Batman?

Yes, James Gunn... But DC Studios is co-run by him and Safran. He answers DIRECTLY to Zaslav. Not any others. Safran handles the business, Gunn handles the creative. Gunn is basically Feige in form and function.

And I don't believe in Superhero fatigue... But mediocre superhero movie fatigue. No Way Home got to 1.5 Billion... Doctor Strange 2 got to 900 million (besting the original) ... BP 2 made profit as well even though it didn't get to 1 billion... The loss of Chadwick was a big part of the reason it didn't.

All the DC movies... Folks lost interest, even though The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were critical darlings. Flash was a convoluted mess (I still liked it tho... It just dragged in a few places that should have been cut down) and the CGI was hit and miss where it shouldn't have been CGI but that was definitely a choice. Those things put people off ... And Aquaman was 6 years after the original... Not a good place to be to sell your sequel. They waited too long.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think he meant the more "Street walker" aspects of her appearance.

CG4zRG9.jpg

A proper Starfire is virtually always gonna be a sultry and sensual thing (unless they deage her into minor status, then ewwww) which does make her tricky to depict in live action or for children

6gurJsZ.jpg

She is a hard one to tone down because she does lose a lot of her uniqueness (IMHO) when writers do so.

qzG1QHr.jpg

She becomes "can fly, shoot energy blasts, and talks funny". Just drop her from the TT roster if that's something you can't get a grip on, or just ignore the "teen" connotation and have them be 20-somethings instead.

I think he meant the more "Street walker" aspects of her appearance.

CG4zRG9.jpg

A proper Starfire is virtually always gonna be a sultry and sensual thing (unless they deage her into minor status, then ewwww) which does make her tricky to depict in live action or for children

6gurJsZ.jpg

She is a hard one to tone down because she does lose a lot of her uniqueness (IMHO) when writers do so.

qzG1QHr.jpg

She becomes "can fly, shoot energy blasts, and talks funny". Just drop her from the TT roster if that's something you can't get a grip on, or just ignore the "teen" connotation and have them be 20-somethings instead.
If we're going by these technicalities, then technically the live action one did have a set look after her initial furry coat reveal:

6a82f0cb99615f1145081d9e72969f69.jpg

And further changes in seasons 2 and 3:

3938a504c949a33278b24d1ac30e2e8b.jpg

8fe1e2lwg0x71.jpg

wondermega

I was very skeptical of the DCU show, finally watched it about a year and a half ago (boredom) and was.. pleasantly surprised! Well, somewhat. Right from the get-go there were problems, but overall I felt that the show was a guilty pleasure. Visually they did a lot of things right (most of the costumes looked really good, I was surprised) and they did a job making characters that were pretty compelling, all things considered. It was interesting/disturbing how they handled the Nuclear Family. And overall my main takeaway was that they actually made Dick a very interesting psychological study, "what would it do to a person if they were actually raised by a psychopath like Batman?" Made me actually really want to see a proper, full Robin movie, to be honest.

The show steadily deteriorated with each passing season, but had enough interesting bits going on to keep me coming back. I eventually dropped out before they released the second part of S4 as it was just getting tooooooo dumbbbb. Anyway I don't have very high hopes for this new project but it definitely raises an eyebrow. Maybe I will get that gritty Robin movie yet.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If we're going by these technicalities, then technically the live action one did have a set look after her initial furry coat reveal:

6a82f0cb99615f1145081d9e72969f69.jpg

And further changes in seasons 2 and 3:

3938a504c949a33278b24d1ac30e2e8b.jpg

8fe1e2lwg0x71.jpg
Well, they are doing that actress no favors by giving her that frizzy curly hair (that for whatever reason is HIGHLY associated with "street walker" in cinema), having her in dark street walkery alleys all the time, wearing garish street walkery eyeliner, and standing in street walkery poses all the time.

She isn't floating around, has no energy auras, and the costume is meh. I know they don't have the budget for most of that stuff but their changes ain't helping. I just think that role was miscast and then they double triple downed on it.

Well, they are doing that actress no favors by giving her that frizzy curly hair (that for whatever reason is HIGHLY associated with "street walker" in cinema), having her in dark street walkery alleys all the time, wearing garish street walkery eyeliner, and standing in street walkery poses all the time.

She isn't floating around, has no energy auras, and the costume is meh. I know they don't have the budget for most of that stuff but their changes ain't helping. I just think that role was miscast and then they double triple downed on it.
fair-baron-zemo.gif

I think one big issue was the fact that the color tone of the show was very dark, gritty, and blue while some of the season 1 outfit design, like Starfire, was still very bright, colorful, and almost cartoony to a degree.

Thankfully they fixed it over time.

Top Bottom