• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Witcher 3 gameplay leaked (closed-doors demo from gamescom)

Because CDPR's like that. They'll have some insane res textures that only beast GPUs can handle.

yeah textures are mostly memory bound. so that wouldn't make much sense. material shaders on the other hand could profit from more raw power. but i highly doubt thats the case with W3, because from what we have seen so far the materials arn't very shader heavy.

belmonkey

Thank god. I thought the console versions would be inferior like BF4.

The only way that would be the case is if the PC version was held back. Console games are made to forever be the same in terms of graphics, PC games can be made with higher settings so that stronger hardware is needed to run them more comfortably, so they can scale with time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are you referring to the PC version?

2013-08-31_00001c5sdz.jpg

skyrim-jagged-shadowsxrulw.jpg

Way to cherry pick your screens there pal....

2h4g8e8_zps3baf34a4.jpg

2963473-1339169803.jpg

Look I can do it too!

And yes, I was referring to the PC versions, both of which I have played maxed out with in the past week. TW2 less than 12 hours ago...

The Witcher 2 on PC has HORRIBLE shadow dithering that is made somewhat tolerable by ubersampling.

Edit: Since I aparanlty was not crystal clear in this post, the point of this post is NOT to accurately compare Skryim to The Witcher 2. It is simply meant to obnoxiously as possible point out a cherry picked screenshot by posting an obviously modded Skyrim shot against a hilariously poor screengrab of The Witcher 2 in the most horrid conditions.

I have no interest in ACTUALLY comparing Skryim's shadows to The Witcher 2's shadows in any in depth manor because they are both shit.

/clarification.

DTKT

Did you just post a heavily modded Skyrim screenshot? Plus, I don't think it's a worthwhile comparison. W2 has huge dithering issues but shadows look good. Skyrim has mostly terrible shadows.

ViZ7

Neo Member
Did you just post a heavily modded Skyrim screenshot? Plus, I don't think it's a worthwhile comparison. W2 has huge dithering issues but shadows look good. Skyrim has mostly terrible shadows.

Agreed, there are some differences between cherry-picking and posting a moded version of one of the 2 games.

Dawg

This leaked footage is a good way to give people an idea about the new effects, but there's a reason this should NOT be leaked. It creates a false impression. I've seen it without the shaky cam at the actual presentation and they were obviously still working on animations and graphics. I mean, sure, some people are already impressed by this but this leaked footage shows a wrong image of the final version. Graphics in general still need a big update.

This is kinda the reason CDPR didn't want to release footage yet. People are already complaining that it doesn't look too good etc etc. This is exactly the reason why they don't release gameplay before it is finalised. Because there's always people who think it is the final version.

Damn, this is going to be something else.

Isn't this the last Witcher game? It seems it's really going to explode in popularity

2h4g8e8_zps3baf34a4.jpg

2963473-1339169803.jpg

Look I can do it too!

And yes, I was referring to the PC versions, both of which I have played maxed out with in the past week. TW2 less than 12 hours ago...

The Witcher 2 on PC has HORRIBLE shadow dithering that is made somewhat tolerable by ubersampling.

The Witcher 2 comes with ubersampling, Skyrim doesn't come with Boris' ENB.

BigTnaples

The Witcher 2 comes with ubersampling, Skyrim doesn't comes with Boris' ENB.

The point was to be an over obnoxious unfair comparison, soo....

Original point and meat of my posts is that TW2 has horrible dithering. Which it does, there is no denying this. I said in my second Skyrim doesn't have great shadows.

Also, not much difference between ubersampling and tweaking an .ini for better shadows. ENB has nothing to do with shadow resolution, but again, that was not the point.

Why is it that you can't say something is wrong with TW2 without it becoming a Skyrim vs TW dickwaving contest?

Original point and meat of my posts is that TW2 has horrible dithering. Which it does, there is no denying this. I said in my second Skyrim doesn't have great shadows.

Also, not much difference between ubersampling and tweaking an .ini for better shadows. ENB has nothing to do with shadow resolution, but again, that was not the point.

Why is it that you can't say something is wrong with TW2 without it becoming a Skyrim vs TW dickwaving contest?

ENB has everything and all to do with how shadows look in that Skyrim screen. Believe me, 70% of my Skyrim playtime is tweaking ENBs.

Edit: as for you question, well its pretty easy to say that there's stuff wrong with the Witcher 2, I do it all the time; but that's quite different from comparing it visually to Skyrim.

Skelter

Banned

2h4g8e8_zps3baf34a4.jpg

2963473-1339169803.jpg

Look I can do it too!

I like how you used modded Skyrim screenshots.

BigTnaples

ENB has every and all to do with how shadows look in that Skyrim screen. Believe me, 80% of my Skyrim playtime is tweaking ENBs.

I could post a dozen other screens with just tweaked INI with high res shadows. "Look and Resolution" are two different things.

I have spent thousands of hours modding and tweaking every Elder Scrolls and Fallout title. So not sure what that has to do with anything?

One more final time, the point of the post was to say that Skyrim has shitty shadows as does TW2. They both have shitty shadows. End of story. Why Skyrim even entered the discussion is beyond me. And I have already stated the obvious in that my comparison post was clearly just poking fun at the cherry picked screens from before.

Beyond ridiculous.

I like how you used modded Skyrim screenshots.

Weird right? It's almost as if it was done....... intentionality. *ShockedFace*

Look I can do it too!

Trickster

Look I can do it too!

Unmodded vs modded

Who's cherry picking again?

BigTnaples

Unmodded vs modded

Who's cherry picking again?

Holy shit. The CDPR defense force is in full stride tonight.

ME. I was cherry picking. It was the whole point of my freaking post. Hence the very murky and unclear statement of "Way to cherry pick, look I can do it too!"

Really?

Modded as hell screenshot > Cherry picking a screenshot

Totally fair.

You literally just quoted a post where I told you that the point of the post was to be obnoxiously unfair. And your clever response is "Totally fair."?

I could post a dozen other screens with just tweaked INI with high res shadows. "Look and Resolution" are two different things.

I have spent thousands of hours modding and tweaking every Elder Scrolls and Fallout title. So not sure what that has to do with anything?

One more final time, the point of the post was to say that Skyrim has shitty shadows as does TW2. They both have shitty shadows. End of story. Why Skyrim even entered the discussion is beyond me. And I have already stated the obvious in that my comparison post was clearly just poking fun at the cherry picked screens from before.

Beyond ridiculous.

Yeah but if you tweak the INI alone it wont look like that, you know it. The ENB lets you blur the shadow edge with post processing, yes? Well that's the effect you see in the screen. As simple as that. And that's a pretty nice effect in the enb because it lets you lower the resolution of the shadows a bit and they still wont look pixelated.

Perkel

Banned

What are you smoking ? Vanilla Skyrim even on PC has terrible shadows, not only they are blocky looking but they also "update" every second or so instead of going fluidly with time.
You need to use ini changes to get 4k shadows that eliminate shitty shadows.

TW2 at low-medium shadows do look bad but when you crack it up to high or ultra dithering is almost unnoticeable. With Uber in options dithering is almost gone.

Yeah but if you tweak the INI alone it wont look like that, you know it. The ENB lets you blur the shadow edge with post processing, yes? Well that's the effect you see in the screen. As simple as that. And that's a pretty nice effect in the enb because it lets you lower the resolution of the shadows a bit and they still wont look pixelated.

Shadows in that Skyrim picture has 0 to do with ENB. IT is ini change. In ini file there is resolution and way to make it smooth also other options like shadow casting on tress foliage and landscape which is nowhere seen in actual game options.

Trickster

Holy shit. The CDPR defense force is in full stride tonight.

ME. I was cherry picking. It was the whole point of my freaking post. Hence the very murky and unclear statement of "Way to cherry pick, look I can do it too!"

Really?

The thing is, you told him he was cherry picking. Which he wasn't. He just found a vanilla skyrim screenshot and used that. Which makes sense since he's talking about bethesdas skyrim game. Not the skyrim with a bunch of mods.

Also, CDPR defense force, really?

Shadows in that Skyrim picture has 0 to do with ENB. IT is ini change. In ini file there is resolution and way to make it smooth also other options like shadow casting on tress foliage and landscape which is nowhere seen in actual game options.
The shadows have increased resolution from vanilla (that's why the leaves are discernible from each other), that we can see, but that's still very much under the effect of the enb, that why it looks softer that it usually does in the edges, the whole screen does.

edit: but true; "everything and all" was an overstatement.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Why does this BigTnaples guy keep cherry picking modded skyrim pics? You know how comparisons work, right? Way to be fair.

BigTnaples

Any news as to when we will or if we have already seen the new renderer with the improved lighting and skin shaders?

magawolaz

Yea same. And I have a i5 3570k at 4.8GHZ and a Asus GTX780. Think I need a titan for this, want it to blow my mind as much as Witcher 2 still does. Was playing it last night in Vergen and spent like 20 minutes just watching the light bounce off the rocks.
Jesus Christ Marie Coldsnap! They're minerals!

Top Bottom