• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wonder (spiritual successor to Giants: Citizen Kabuto/ MDK) on Kickstartarter

Com_Raven

Aiming for $500k

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roguerocket/first-wonder

In a nutshell, First Wonder is...
•A spiritual successor to Co-Founder Nick Bruty’s previous games MDK & Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

• Explore and Discover fantastic environments in a 3rd person action adventure

• Soar over the islands as the scrappy jetpack-toting Cargonauts, utilizing all kinds of crazy sci-fi gear that gives them their abilities.

• Crush your puny enemies beneath your feet as the huge and agile creature, Monstro.
• Story based campaign that reveals the mystery of Monstro’s prophecy while playing as both Monstro & Cargonaut, with hilarious cutscenes reminiscent of the ones in Giants.

• Asymmetric Multiplayer with players able to play as either the Cargonauts or Monstro in goal-based matches.

•Currently planned for release in late 2016 on PC on Steam and DRM-free on GoG or The Humble Store, with PS4 & Xbox One as stretch goals (other platforms may come up later).

•Will be made with and for gamers like you! We want you involved!

Will have to keep an eye on this one, Giants was great back in the day (and thanks to its Hardware T&L, the game that sold me on my first GeForce GPU- holy shit those graphics! :p )

Loved Giants:Citizen Kabuto and adored MDK- will keep an eye out-thanks for the heads up

edit:pS4 stretch goal- alright-consider this backed

So that's what happen to the creators of earth worm jim?
Anyhow, the game looks kinda meh to me.
Don't like the character designs.

B.O.O.M

Will back this once i get paid. LOVE Citizen Kabuto. Hope this makes the goal and also hits the ps4 stretch goal.

Lord Phol

Oh man giants is so awesome, don't think there's a videogame that's tickled my funny senses the way giants did, still remember poor timmy. Looking forward to see what this kickstarter will produce, if it takes off that is.

Fasty

I've been keeping an eye on this, being a massive Giants fan. But that seriously is a terribly produced kickstarter video that isn't going to do them any favours. Hope it reaches its goal

Fasty

I know it is early footage, but is anyone else kind of put off by the very rough footage?

Well they've said that the graphics in previous demos are just temporary assets, so I'm hoping they improve too.

They're streaming on Twitch right now. www.twitch.tv/roguerocketgames (edit: nope, they just wrapped it up) Gotta say, Giants had the best jetpack physics of any game I've played, and it looks like they've carried that over

bjaelke

Oh man giants is so awesome, don't think there's a videogame that's tickled my funny senses the way giants did, still remember poor timmy. Looking forward to see what this kickstarter will produce, if it takes off that is.

They are asking for a lot considering the lack of hype leading up to the Kickstarter launch. Giving it a few more days before I pledge.

Visually it does look a bit bland (obviously they have plenty of time to polish/work on assets), but gameplay and controls on the other hand appears to be spot on.

Steam Greenlight page is also live: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=515591097

Archived video with last night's launch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/roguerocketgames/v/17697613

ActionGif_1_compressed.gif

Munin

Ok so why is this doing so terribly? Creative and original concept based on cult classic, established devs, existing prototype, what more could you want?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok so why is this doing so terribly? Creative and original concept based on cult classic, established devs, existing prototype, what more could you want?

Giants was a financial failure when it released, not a lot of people have played it. It has a very loyal and vocal fanbase, but that fanbase is tiny.

Kinthalis

Banned
Giants was a financial failure when it released, not a lot of people have played it. It has a very loyal and vocal fanbase, but that fanbase it tiny.

And none of it is on consoles. Not sure why those are stretch goals. Consoles are great, but with this budget, this game, this fanbase, you shoudl be focusing on a single platform period.

Sinatar

I think their best hope is to reach out to TotalBiscuit and see if he'll cover it. He's a big fan of the original and would give them a nice push if he did a video on it.

deleted

And none of it is on consoles. Not sure why those are stretch goals. Consoles are great, but with this budget, this game, this fanbase, you shoudl be focusing on a single platform period.

Well it was on the PS2 iirc.

Loved the original, but this couldn't have picked a worse time to launch. Between the ending of the D:OS2 kickstarter and Battletech, it's sandwiched between two immensely more popular kickstarters.

I'd love to see something like the old Shiny games making a comeback. Always felt a bit like they were the Rare of PC during their day for me.

tuxfool

Banned
I'd love to see something like the old Shiny games making a comeback. Always felt a bit like they were the Rare of PC during their day for me.

While I enjoyed Giants, which wasn't made by Shiny (though it definitely felt like it), I'm not really clamouring for more of it. What I'd really like is another Sacrifice.

I'd still support this if I felt it had any chance of being funded.

Mdk7

Sorry but i'm really not feeling it.
And it should really be my kind of game.

Quite a few warning signs. Game looks really early and not really ready for a Kickstarter at the moment. No funding breakdown. Relatively vague information.

Compare how campaign pages for games like The Flame In The Flood, Slain, GRIP, etc. talk about the gameplay compared to this.

We were talking about this in the main Kickstarter thread.
First Wonder's pitch video is laughably amateur for a game coming from an ex-big-studio name. The concept looks kinda cool though for someone like me who misses the PS2 days when mid-tier games were able to survive.

I'll be watching this one. I don't know if I'll contribute though, the whole thing looks suspiciously like a blend of Molyneux and The Stomping Land.
They do have some of those problems listed though, like a messy campaign page, no funding breakdown and because of that it's impossible to accurately judge whether the $500k is too little, too much, or just right.

Simply being a spiritual successor with the original devs isn't a sure thing anymore. I think people are more critical nowadays, and the KS's performance so far is proof of that

diffusionx

Gold Member
Giants and MDK are totally different games. This sounds like a spiritual successor to Giants, which is fine, but the MDK name dropping grates.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Giants and MDK are totally different games. This sounds like a spiritual successor to Giants, which is fine, but the MDK name dropping grates.
They were basically the brain children of the same person, according to the KS. I certainly agree that there don't appear to be any superficial similarities to MDK, but maybe there's more about the game that we don't know yet, or maybe the similarities are more beneath the surface.

deleted

While I enjoyed Giants, which wasn't made by Shiny (though it definitely felt like it), I'm not really clamouring for more of it. What I'd really like is another Sacrifice.

I'd still support this if I felt it had any chance of being funded.

Yep, Sacrifice is definitely the best game they made yet. And their swan song.

I always tribute Giants to Shiny. The designers were even part of Shiny during the EJ / MDK days iirc.

The game was a fantastic asynchronous multiplayer experience for LAN parties. And it was kinda broken in hilarious ways. I don't remember much of the SP besides that I loved the humor though. Felt like an early Halo parody in parts.

bjaelke

New, better video. Obviously so early tho.

This won't get backed :(

Shame totalbiscuit hasn't covered it as he loves Giants citizen kabuto. I don't use Twitter, has anyone tweeted him.

http://youtu.be/lIraPxxe3qM

Many people continue to tell us we should get TotalBiscuit to give us a shout out. We've tried, but he's very big and difficult to reach! So I'm sending you all on a new mission! Please find your favorite YouTubers and Twitch streamers, and tell them about the game. Tell them as a fan of their channel, you would really like them to talk about us and play the game on their channel, because YOU care about First Wonder! We're doing this as well, but maybe we can make make new fans of these amazing content makers together! Let's give it a try!

Sinatar

Unsuprisingly this has been cancelled.

They say they want to continue working on getting it done, which is just industry code for we're fucked.

PC gamers fail again.

Top Bottom