• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1st Wonder - A Spiritual Successor to MDK & Giants: Citizen Kabuto

xJJLgRT.jpg

http://www.first-wonder.com/#welcome
"Our ultimate goal is to make a single and multiplayer version of the game across PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Mac"
"Crowdfunding campaign in Q4 2015"
First Wonder takes place on a luxury island resort on Planet Majorca. Monstro, the recently discovered ancient fossil is mounted as the proud centerpiece for this new corporate resort. Naturally things going very very wrong.

Designing the island is one of the biggest and most exciting design challenges I have ever faced. In Giants we dealt with scale quite simply. While Kabuto could leap he was very earthbound and limited to just walking around and smashing things.

Monstro will have a full dynamic range of motion that helps him spend as much time in the air as on land. The island is built to accommodate his scale and natural abilities while the Cargonauts use their rocket technology to compete with Monstro’s natural gifts.

The island will be at least 4 times larger than any seen in Giants. With mountains and tunnels that give Monstro unique short cuts in getting around. What may surprise the Cargonauts is that despite Monstros size they might not see him coming.

Animation test

Shade

Awesome. If they can capture at least something of what made Giants great (to me), it will probably automatically become my GOTY when it is released.

Syril

Does it play like MDK? Because, if so, holy shit I will pick that game up ASAP.
I'm not entirely sure. I only played a little of MDK 2, and I know Shiny didn't do that one. You should probably look at some videos, because I wouldn't know what to compare it to. I'll warn you that Giants' biggest problem is that every level has no saving or checkpoints of any kind. The levels aren't long, but having to repeat five minutes of simple stuff to get back to the part you're stuck on gets old fast.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not entirely sure. I only played a little of MDK 2, and I know Shiny didn't do that one. You should probably look at some videos, because I wouldn't know what to compare it to. I'll warn you that Giants' biggest problem is that every level has no saving or checkpoints of any kind. The levels aren't long, but having to repeat five minutes of simple stuff to get back to the part you're stuck on gets old fast.

MDK2 doesn't play very much like MDK, actually.

Looking nice!

There's not enough game developers just trying to have comedy be a thing in their games, but seems a common theme with British devs. Armed and Dangerous was great, will never forget the land sharks.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is a weird game in many ways, but damn if I didn't love the hell out of it as well as Armed & Dangerous.

bjaelke

I remember being quite fond of the rts element. Not too many of those genre mixtures out there. The other two were C&C Renegade and Starhawks :(
Giants: Citizen Kabuto is a weird game in many ways, but damn if I didn't love the hell out of it as well as Armed & Dangerous.

It's the better Evolve. Asymmetrical multiplayer at its best.

gelf

I don't know much about Giants but this doesn't look or sound anything like MDK. If it is though I'd br very happy. The first MDK is still the most fun I've ever had with a third person shooter so I'd love something new like that.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't know much about Giants but this doesn't look or sound anything like MDK. The first MDK is still the most fun I've ever had with a third person shooter so I'd love something new like that.

Yeah this doesn't look very much like MDK at all. I remember being so stoked for MDK because I loved Earthworm Jim and felt it delivered so hard. I loved the atmosphere of that game. MDK2 was fun, but it was a really different game.

Fuz

Banned
Loved MDK. And I always liked Giants, but somehow it didn't work on my PC back then. Good thing we had demos at the time.
This one looks pretty interesting too, the art style is great.

MaLDo

Ok ok ok....... man, this game... I loved this game.

My main concern, Unity Engine. I just read the firsts blog messages.

For now we are comfortable building the demo in Unity.

No, Nick. Run away....

the new Monstro model running in the Unity engine

Perched.jpg

fortunately, actually everything in that image but 'Monstro' is an artwork. And that was last year. April this year Nicks seems a bit more open to jump into Unreal Engine 4. Yes, Nick, that's the only way.

Looking at the screenshots, they are in the right way about the colors. But they are being too "realistic" with assets. Those rock textures and tree models may backfire them for this kind of game.

Examples

Original game

1st Wonder

The palm on the right is ok for this game. The tree in the center is not.

Absolutely NO. This coudn't be another EVOLVE. This must be fun both in playing and looking at.

Good enough.

MaLDo

Came here to say this. Those two games couldn't be more different in tone and gameplay.

EDIT: Oh crowd funding. Should mentioned 3 more popular games to get more people to give money.

Nick Bruty is the man here

Dan Dare 3
Cool Spot
Aladdin
Earthworm Jim and his own level in the special edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqqY7ZL8bU
MDK
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Armed and Dangerous

So, those games are listed because of him, his sense of humor and special art. Not because they have the same gameplay.

Does it play like MDK? Because, if so, holy shit I will pick that game up ASAP.

I guess I understand where they're coming from given the huge playing field, shooting mechanics and multiple characters... but honestly Giants to me is the much better game. It weaves a great shooter together with excellent base building, then throws in an amazing sense of humor, an awesome world and remarkable visuals (for the time).

I think Giants would hold up actually for anyone with a retro palate. Very interested in this project can achieve any of giants sensibility. Always thought it was robbed of a much deserved sequel.

Ok ok ok....... man, this game... I loved this game.

My main concern, Unity Engine. I just read the firsts blog messages.

No, Nick. Run away....
Why is Unity a concern? Unity is behind some of the best looking indie games

To name a few: Cuphead, Ori and The Blind Forest, SuperHOT, Firewatch, Broforce, Cities Skylines, Never Alone, Besiege, and many many more

All Unity

Iokis

I love MDK and Giants. Colour me excited. I don't even care which game it takes the most influence from as I love both to bits (although it seems to take way more from Giants, right down to Planet Majorca).

MaLDo

To name a few: Cuphead, Ori and The Blind Forest, SuperHOT, Firewatch, Broforce, Cities Skylines, Never Alone, Besiege, and many many more

All Unity

Your proofs are screenshots. What does prove?

Unity Engine is perfect for prototyping. You can make things very fast and object library is huge. Any good artist can make something beautiful and striking in any engine. That's not the problem.

The problem is at the core. In the way it does timings management. In the sampling of input devices. How it interpolates. How it stream. How it limits your choices if you want to use exclusive fullscreen mode. In general, things you can't see looking at screenshots. Things that did I had to refund Grow Home because is a juddery mess, or DeadCore, or that make I'm waiting for a miracle patch to play Ori and the Blind forest because I can not stand the stuttering it has. The Forest is a technical mess, The Blue flamingo is not fluid, Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey have performance problems, console version of The Last Tinker: City of Colors is a horror, etc.

I've promised myself I don't buy a game that uses Unity Engine in my life and I hope Nick Bruty jumps into Unreal Engine before it's too late for them.

Can you find great games using Unity Engine? Of course, but it will be thanks to the developers and despite using Unity Engine, not because of it.

Mmmm... I'm looking at you, Yooka Laylee

nded

Your proofs are screenshots. What does prove?

Of the games in that list that I've played, I haven't had any major performance or frame rate issues. Same goes for a bunch of other Unity games that he didn't mention.

~Kinggi~

Banned

All Unity
What game is that Noir future city in your shots? Actually there are two what are both of them?

DooMAGE

Misleading thread, the designers of MDK founded the studio. This is not mean the game will play like MDK. I'm assuming that because information we have so far

Of the games in that list that I've played, I haven't had any major performance or frame rate issues. Same goes for a bunch of other Unity games that he didn't mention.
Same. If anything, any issues I have come down to my specs, because the Unity games I've played never had any of the across-the-board problems he's talking about. And I've played a lot of Unity games, because a lot of game jam entries are made in Unity

nded

What games?

Broforce and Cities: Skyline.

As for games he didn't mention, that would include:
Rochard
Gone Home
Legend of Dungeon
Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Jazzpunk
Kerbal Space Program

lazygecko

Giants is great and all, but I came in here hoping for more of a MDK vibe.

What I wouldn't give for a modern portrayal of MDK's freefall atmospheric entries.

Top Bottom