• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Yooka-Laylee review has leaked, been deleted, but the internet remembers all

Largely annoying characters? What the shit? That's not what I expect from the old Rare when they brought us Banjo Kazooie that had some really great characters.

NateDrake

Yeah, only one review out and already the 'Well his opinion is wrong' stuff has started. Can't wait to see how mad people go once a bad reveiw hits.

Based on Jim and Laura's early comments, we won't have to wait too long for a negative review to arrive.

yeah, its becoming more clear that is not an accident...
I contributed to them a long time ago just one time, but I doubt all of this is intentional and is mostly due to poor management. The site isn't handled very well and there is a reason the 'Contributor' page is as long as it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When will the embargo lift ?

t1491318000z0.png

FelipeMGM

I contributed to them a long time ago just one time, but I doubt all of this is intentional and is mostly due to poor management. The site isn't handled very well and there is a reason the 'Contributor' page is as long as it is.

oh I see. A bad look anyway

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still don't understand why Kickstarted games are sent out to reviewers before the ACTUAL backers that helped pay for it.

I'm okay with it in general, but what irks me is when reviewers/streamers receive access to new builds if not the final version of the game before those who paid a premium for alpha/beta access. Rain World is one such example whereas Playtonic was upfront about Yooka's pre-release access being in the form of the "toybox" mode and nothing more.

NateDrake

oh I see. A bad look anyway

Absolutely. In no way am I defending them, but site management is poor over there. If the trend continues then I would have to agree that this is intentional for early hits, attention, and to be the focus of pre-embargo discussion.

MrBadger

That last line is very high praise. If their only complaint is the writing and dialogue, I'd say that sounds like a pretty positive impression.

Tidalwave

I'm just hoping the controls have been tightened since the toybox. The characters felt like they had less...I dunno.. weight than b&k? Platforming was spooky.

Thud

I'm just hoping the controls have been tightened since the toybox. The characters felt like they had less...I dunno.. weight than b&k? Platforming was spooky.

They made toybox like 2 years ago. Even the animations and moves are very limited.

Sponge

Banned
That last line makes me really hyped

"With its fantastic mechanics married to a selection of sprawling words chock full of challenges and a fantastically addictive sense of progression, Yooka-Laylee overcomes its occasional rough edges and lack of polish to deliver the finest 3D platformer this side of Super Mario Galaxy."

If it's anyway comparable to Galaxy, I'm going to love this.

I have a feeling this game will score all over the place, with as many 6's as 8's.

I'm sure that will be the case. That's not a problem, I think...If those who Y-K is catering to actually buy the game it will already be a success, right?

It all depends by what standards the reviewer is measing the game. Not everyone will consider the fact that this is a small-team indie title with a very clear vision.

I have a feeling this game will score all over the place, with as many 6's as 8's.

I think it'll depend a lot on if the reviewer can tolerate 90s Rare platformer nonsense. I know I can, and I've been dying for a new game in that genre, but I could see how it wouldn't really work for everyone.

RRockman

Banned
Lol people complaining about "bad" characters when they simply don't get that that's exactly what the devs were going for and it just didn't gel well with them. I'm eagerly awaiting the Switch version

LAA

Awesome, doesn't sound like he had issues with stuttering anyway, great news if so.
Though wonder how/why Jim/Laura did.

antyk

Anyone happen to know if a 4 year old would be able to play this? Or at least run around and have some fun?

From my own experience observing my daughter and nephew playing games like R&C, Knack, Tearaway, Little Big Planet, etc. I think the ability to properly control the character, i.e. running, jumping and shooting / performing actions at the same time materialises around 6-8 years.

4-years old, assuming he can even hold the controller, will quickly get tired and / or irritated, because he'll constantly fall into traps / water / off a cliff and bump into walls.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Can't speak much due to embargo, but I think I can say that old school platforming fans will have a lot to like.

It's not a trainwreck or anything of the sort, at least from what I know.

e_i

Great to hear a good review, although the annoying characters and crummy stories lines are weird. I don't think anybody's is playing this for story. It's like saying people play Mario games for story. Can't wait for this game, Cosmic Star Heroine, and Planescape next week.

Salty Hippo

It's a "bit" hyperbolic, considering that Mario Galaxy is considered one of the best games ever.

Uhh, what? What's hyperbolic about saying a game (from a genre that has been mostly dead for over a decade) is the best since the Galaxy games came out? What does Galaxy being one of the best games ever has to do with anything? He didn't compare Y-L to Galaxy, just to the slim competition that Y-L faces since Galaxy.

I still think Y-L's reviews will range from mediocre to ok, it looked poor in all the recent gameplay they showed. But until I actually play it I can't laugh at what anyone has to say about it.

muteki

I'm not even sure what I would compare to in terms of BK's story. It has the same amount of story as SM64. Which is at a minimum, collect stuff to open doors to get to big bad, defeat big bad. Save sister/princess.

Somehow, it never stood out to me as something to complain about.

Boem

Still looks awful to me.

Reminds me of 90s era CGI cartoons. I hope this character looks different in game, because the main characters look great and this stands out like a sore thumb by comparison.

Christ. That's a nightmare all right.

I think people are really misreading that Mario Galaxy quote. He's not comparing Yooka to Galaxy at all, he's saying that Yooka is the best 3D platformer SINCE Galaxy (which I'd assume refers to Galaxy as a series). And as far as 3D Land/World, they are not really the same kind of game as Yooka is, so it's not really such a hyperbolic claim.

Zutrax

It's strange... a lot of these complaints are things I was looking forward to.

I like the shitty late 90's early 00's era CGI and character designs. I've wanted a game that harkens back to the weird era of CGI characters that looked kind of trash and I grew up loving. For instance, I think Trowzer looks amazing, he reminds me exactly of the characters from that era of gaming. It's very on the nose.

I also like the terrible puns and jokes from Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Conkers Bad Fur Day, I don't need a compelling story I just need something that is having fun with it's content and not taking itself seriously. It's one of those things where it's so bad that it loops back around into being really charming. I don't think anyone will ever tell you that Banjo or Conkey had particularly good writing or jokes, it was just memorable and fun. The Yooka Laylee rap was enough to prove that they know what they're doing with this.

Really nice to hear the gameplay seems solid despite all their cursory complaints. I'm feeling like I'll adore this game in spite of what anyone might have to say about it. The N64 era nostalgia is strong in me, and I have been wanting to scratch that itch for a long long time now.

I never thought Rare had garbage designs in Banjo or their other platformers. So far it's just one example for me of a bad design. I like the snake and the octopus girl.

Top Bottom