• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Yooka-Laylee review has leaked, been deleted, but the internet remembers all

I think reviewers today are quite a bit more critical than you might think. Terrible garbage doesn't stay in the 70s. I'd say not even in the 60s.

Developers release unfinished betas all the time that still get decent Metacritic scores.

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-user-score.jpg

It's 71 right now

Assassin's Creed Unity is at 70.

Watch Underscore Dogs is an 80.

DK64 would improve quite a bit in my eyes if there weren't different sets of colored bananas for each character. I like the idea of SM64 coins or BK notes (even when they disappear) but having to comb each level over and over again was a big negative for me. There is little value in exploring the same space with different characters to me.

The minigames though were more what pushed me over the edge and made me drop DK64 though. Hope that isn't the case here.

If it weren't for the Donkey Kong brand, fantastic animations and Kirkhope's musical magic, DK64 would have been considered shovelware. I'm still a tad skeptical on if Playtonic has truly learned their lesson from DK64 but the game looks like a huge step up from it, regardless. At worst, it might be more in line with Banjo-Tooie than Kazooie. Supporting it regardless since we need more 3D platformers.

I think reviewers today are quite a bit more critical than you might think. Terrible garbage doesn't stay in the 70s. I'd say not even in the 60s.

Mighty Number 9, which is like a 2/10 game, is currently sitting in the 50s. This game will barely lose 80, any lower than than 70 would mean they failed, badly.

If it weren't for the Donkey Kong brand, fantastic animations and Kirkhope's musical magic, DK64 would have been considered shovelware. I'm still a tad skeptical on if Playtonic has truly learned their lesson from DK64 but the game looks like a huge step up from it, regardless. At worst, it might be more in line with Banjo-Tooie than Kazooie. Supporting it regardless since we need more 3D platformers.

I guess what's a little concerning to me, is that the characters of this game are Banjo-Kazooie style, but everything else appears to be refined from DK64, not Tooie. Giant worlds, mine cart sections, a rap, it ends up seeming more like a DK64 sequel with some Banjo elements, rather than a Banjo sequel with DK64 elements.

Hopefully that either worked out, or I'm wrong and it's 100% Banjo style.

ramparter

Banned
DK64 would improve quite a bit in my eyes if there weren't different sets of colored bananas for each character. I like the idea of SM64 coins or BK notes (even when they disappear) but having to comb each level over and over again was a big negative for me. There is little value in exploring the same space with different characters to me.

The minigames though were more what pushed me over the edge and made me drop DK64 though. Hope that isn't the case here.
You just nailed the two biggest problems of DK64. Colored bananas and the mini games that made you want to breat the controller, the console the tv and then kill yourself. If they fixed those two it would be a solid 9.

Weiss

Banned
You just nailed the two biggest problems of DK64. Colored bananas and the mini games that made you want to breat the controller, the console the tv and then kill yourself. If they fixed those two it would be a solid 9.

Honestly I think Banjo made DK64 obsolete. They should have had Banjo be their collectathon platformer and kept Donkey Kong as a deliberately retro sidescroller.

Yeah look at me being all critical of 1999 Rare. That'll show 'em.

I like DK64 a lot but that mini game where you have to startle the beavers so they fall into a hole is directly from hell. Remember that one? :D

Salty Hippo

Assassin's Creed Unity is at 70.

Watch Underscore Dogs is an 80.

I don't love either game, but I think they are fairly good. Even with the bugs I certainly prefer Unity over the better scored Syndicate any day of the week. Watch Dogs is a decent game if you disregard the ridiculous hype and downgrade, which shouldn't really affect scores.

These are not even remotely what I'd call terrible garbage.

Camjo-Z

I think they've really learned their lesson on what should be collectibles. They even condensed Banjo's eggs/feathers system into powerup berry bushes and a meter that refills with the same butterflies you can restore health with. DK64 on the other hand just had so many stupid collectibles that were just there to collect. The banana film was the worst offender, unless you somehow managed to run out of film before taking a picture of a fairy (who would then refill your your film +1) it was never even required.

I guess what's a little concerning to me, is that the characters of this game are Banjo-Kazooie style, but everything else appears to be refined from DK64, not Tooie. Giant worlds, mine cart sections, a rap, it ends up seeming more like a DK64 sequel with some Banjo elements, rather than a Banjo sequel with DK64 elements.

Hopefully that either worked out, or I'm wrong and it's 100% Banjo style.

I don't think it really has any DK64 elements to be honest. The mine cart sections play like DKC rather than DK64's weird roller coaster rides, the giant worlds are more reminiscent of Tooie, and the rap is just for fun. It's definitely a Banjo sequel.

ramparter

Banned
I like DK64 a lot but that mini game where you have to startle the beavers so they fall into a hole is directly from hell. Remember that one? :D
Remember? Its where I realized I wouldnt 101% the virtual console version on Wii U.
And there were some others not that insane but still ridiculously annoying. Oh and btw the 15 beavers in 60 seconds was in two points of the game.

Eusis

If you want to be somewhat charitable, I'm inclined to think that the budget and man power behind a AAA game will rarely allow something truly awful to slip through. It does happen sometimes, but the 70s there would imply that they got enough right to make a modestly enjoyable game by modern standards, even though it fails to stand out among either other games or their own series. Too many eyes on the game and feedback/pressure to COMPLETELY fuck up, and ME:A does have its fans.

Then again, Unity had that One Weird Bug where people wouldn't have faces... It probably would've been hit harder nowadays without that next gen sheen to it.

EDIT: Though I do have my philosophy that 7 can be "average" in that it's an alright game to play but nothing special, while 5 is "average" in that it's completely bland and unmemorable but MIGHT not have fucked up badly, or if it did it makes up for it in some other areas... but not enough.

Yukinari

Wonder just how bad the frame drops are on Xbone/PS4. I imagine most reviewers got code for it on console and not PC.

Also saying Trowzer is badly designed is so sad. The vending machine atrocity is far worse.

Godcannon

Are they really criticising annoying characters and bad story?

Thats the point and charm of the Banjo and other Rare games.

Nobody plays such games for a Oscar worthy story and well written characters.

I was totally all in on the story. Deal breaker. Won't buy. What a let down. My dream is dead. 0/10 will not play. I'm quitting gaming forever.

benzopil

A bit of another thing (though this is something we'll have to wait and see tomorrow for).
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848841811053473793
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848987958661312512
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848990197790519297

So far it's sounding like it if the two leaked reviews are anything to go by.

Freaking embargo :(

Without saying much I can say that I don't really understand what exactly those reviewers were expecting.

A bit of another thing (though this is something we'll have to wait and see tomorrow for).
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848841811053473793
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848987958661312512
https://www.twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/848990197790519297

So far it's sounding like it if the two leaked reviews are anything to go by.

What's the deal with people putting so much stock in the industry Twitterati? Just because they publish game news doesn't mean they are critics. Hence why the critics/journalist divide exists in food and movies and a million other industries.

unseen64 is a fun channel but is he really a source for this kind of thing...?

Threads for Liam rumors are banned in Gaf for being wrong too many times, but If I recall he has gotten some things right before.

Although he was recently banned for claming the Switch leak that rose from 4Chan was fake just prior to the event.

We will know tomorrow anyways, I want to know how a Banjo game is received in 2017

TI82

Banned
Threads for Liam rumors are banned in Gaf for being wrong too many times, but If I recall he has gotten some things right before.

Although he was recently banned for claming the Switch leak that rose from 4Chan just prior to the event.

We will know tomorrow anyways, I want to know how a Banjo game is received in 2017

Cool yeah, just seems like a guy that might know a few people but isn't actually in that industry himself.

But that really isn't a "story" or even a rumor. He tweeted about some of the impressions he's heard from folks. No different than the members in this thread sharing their thoughts and someone quoting them elsewhere.

Difference here is that we have the cached copies of reviews with authors attached. His are just nebulous "people" he heard things from. With nothing concrete it's not trustable given his history.

Cerium

But that really isn't a "story" or even a rumor. He tweeted about some of the impressions he's heard from folks. No different than the members in this thread sharing their thoughts and someone quoting them elsewhere.

Members (who have played it) sharing their thoughts in this thread is firsthand information, what he is doing is not.

Honestly I think Banjo made DK64 obsolete. They should have had Banjo be their collectathon platformer and kept Donkey Kong as a deliberately retro sidescroller.

Yeah look at me being all critical of 1999 Rare. That'll show 'em.
With this single observation I'm suddenly transported to sitting on a bus, waiting to be ushered to school again hahaha

gogojira

And then he made a safe comment so if he's wrong and it gets high 7s or 8s he can just say "see I said it wasn't bad or awful just not omg 9.5." It's like all the Switch leakers pre unveil, lol. If you only partially comment, you're right either way.

Embargo is up tomorrow, right? We'll see then. For now I'll give my prediction that it'll be somewhere between a 20 and 90 on metacritic. Give or take 40 or so points, of course.

Lijik

the difference is if someone in this thread shares thoughts you can link back to them. tweeting "people tell me its good/bad" is so vague and unverifiable it might as well be "my uncle works at nintendo". i can pull "people are telling me Prey is really fun, and thats all i can say because of their nda" out of my ass and you cant prove me wrong for another month. he can say anything about the games quality and itd be pointless to put stock in.

not that it really matters we'll find out tomorrow

Modoru

And then he made a safe comment so if he's wrong and it gets high 7s or 8s he can just say "see I said it wasn't bad or awful just not omg 9.5." It's like all the Switch leakers pre unveil, lol. If you only partially comment, you're right either way.

Embargo is up tomorrow, right? We'll see then. For now I'll give my prediction that it'll be somewhere between a 20 and 90 on metacritic. Give or take 40 or so points, of course.
"when u give someone your opinion but then say 'idk tho' in case you ruin their life"

For real tho, he says "RIP" to the genre when quoting a tweet saying that YL determines how the genre will fare from now on, but then says he didn't say anything one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure he has v. obvious negative feelings towards the game's release

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Edit: original post is quoted on the next page. It's mean spirited and shitty and I regret posting it, and deserved to be called out for it. My apologies to Liam, I don't wanna be the kind of person who posts that way and I dunno how or why I did post that way with the original message here. The hell am I being skeptical of someone saying YL is mediocre for when that's distinctly how I thought it'd be?

Top Bottom