• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Yooka-Laylee review has leaked, been deleted, but the internet remembers all

Lynd7

I just hope its at least good or average to most people. I'd like to see Playtonic get on their feet and able to move forward for future games, even if this one turns out to have some issues.

gogojira

I'm definitely on the skeptical side, too, but I backed it so warning ls are irrelevant, lol. Hoping for the best, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm tempted to wait till I get my Switch in November before I try this, playing on a Nintendo-system just feels right---at the very least I'll probably hold off till after I finish Persona 5 and Zelda if I decide to go PS4. Unless it's, like, super amazing. Gotta see what my dudes from my old BK thread (sorry I never finished it :( ) think about it.

I like DK64 a lot but that mini game where you have to startle the beavers so they fall into a hole is directly from hell. Remember that one? :D

It's not that bad honestly when you learn the trick (I forgot exactly what the trick was, but basically you wanna move in a different pattern than you'd expect), and I recall far more obnoxious mini-games honestly when I played it on the Wii U.

101% it *abused save states a bit though*, and had a lot of fun---I'm tempted to say I ultimately enjoyed it more than my recent Tooie playthough. I think with the former I was expecting it to be horrid, but turned out better, while the latter I thought was awesome as a kid but a lot of its issues (most of the gameplay consisting of switching between five characters---BK, Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, Transformation---and hitting switches to unlock mini-games with the same scoring system; gloomy environments) really stuck out and deflated my enjoyment of it and killed my nostalgia. Original BK is still great though.

I haven't been watching much of previews for this game, but it seems like you pretty much just stick to Yooka and Laylee the whole time with no additional character gimmicks, correct?

Watch Da Birdie

Just the duo and a transformation for each world, yeah.

Oh, transformations are in?

Hope they're handled better---they were cool in BK/BT as a kid, but replaying them I found for the most part they fall flat. It seems you barely utilized them for the most part (BT it usually involved hitting switches, or pay-to-play as was the case for Van Banjo in WitchyWorld) and most of their gimmicks were dull, the bee being the funnest simply for adding more verticality. I

Anyone have a link of a video of the earliest transformation?

daTRUballin

I'm tempted to wait till I get my Switch in November before I try this, playing on a Nintendo-system just feels right---at the very least I'll probably hold off till after I finish Persona 5 and Zelda if I decide to go PS4. Unless it's, like, super amazing. Gotta see what my dudes from my old BK thread (sorry I never finished it :( ) think about it.

You gotta finish your thread dude! Where did you stop last? Terrydactyland or something?

Hope they're handled better---they were cool in BK/BT as a kid, but replaying them I found for the most part they fall flat. It seems you barely utilized them for the most part (BT it usually involved hitting switches, or pay-to-play as was the case for Van Banjo in WitchyWorld) and most of their gimmicks were dull, the bee being the funnest simply for adding more verticality. I

So far the transformations don't looks a lot better unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be wrong when it comes out.

The earliest transformation is the Flower. It's in the Tribalstack Tropics world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwM3fQuxj6vvldjVMPBYbr3AiFgJrpBUZ&v=seAC5-0wuhI

Camjo-Z

Here's a short clip I found of the first one. It's basically handled like the other Banjo games, they all have a gimmick that relates to completing a challenge or two, in that one's case
spraying some flowers
. The other ones I've seen/heard of have a bit more interesting mechanics when it comes to traversal.

Watch Da Birdie

You gotta finish your thread dude! Where did you stop last? Terrydactyland or something?

It's been so long I forgot what I was gonna say, lol, and I don't own the game anymore as my bro sold the XBOX360 we played it on.

Basically in the end my new impressions of BT were rather weak---though I found Jolly Roger Bay to be one of the best levels oddly enough, despite being a water level which usually sucks. Going the infinite air route was an amazing choice.

Does YL have a major water level?

And then he made a safe comment so if he's wrong and it gets high 7s or 8s he can just say "see I said it wasn't bad or awful just not omg 9.5." It's like all the Switch leakers pre unveil, lol. If you only partially comment, you're right either way.

Embargo is up tomorrow, right? We'll see then. For now I'll give my prediction that it'll be somewhere between a 20 and 90 on metacritic. Give or take 40 or so points, of course.

Pretty much. These twitter insiders remind me of the psychics from the 90s. Vague, useless info, and the odd lucky guess.

LiamR

"A lot of people are gonna be disappointed", "RIP 3D Platformers", but then he says he wasn't saying it was bad. Yeah, this just seems par for the course with him, how exactly do people still put stock in any gaming scoop he has that doesn't pertain to cancelled games?

Hell I've been skeptical about YL myself, I hope it's good but I felt lots of footage looked mediocre. As someone who is skeptical of YL so far and sort of thinks it'll be maybe okay at best, this feels very much like Robertson fishing for attention again, and people once again giving it to him despite his track record on non-Unseen 64 things getting progressively worse and worse.

I see you talking shit.

I'm just tweeting on my little space of the Internet about some of the things those with review copies have told me. How is that some cry for attention? I didn't know GAF was going to be deconstructing every little thing I say. Get over yourself.

I see you talking shit.

I'm just tweeting on my little space of the Internet about some of the things those with review copies have told me. How is that some cry for attention? I didn't know GAF was going to be deconstructing every little thing I say. Get over yourself.

LOL

LiamR

BMjC94I.gif

The_Lump

Banned
As this is a return to classic 90's 3D platforming I'm going to choose to return to classic 90's review analysis:

<3/10 = Avoid.
4/10 = Has issues. Don't buy unless you try
5/10 = Average, but poor in places. Try first
6/10 = OK, definitely worth a look
7/10 = Good Game, most will really enjoy
8/10 = Very Good. You will love it.
9/10 = Essential. You must buy it now
10/10 = Ocarina of Time Perfection.

daTRUballin

It's been so long I forgot what I was gonna say, lol, and I don't own the game anymore as my bro sold the XBOX360 we played it on.

Basically in the end my new impressions of BT were rather weak---though I found Jolly Roger Bay to be one of the best levels oddly enough, despite being a water level which usually sucks. Going the infinite air route was an amazing choice.

Does YL have a major water level?

Ahhh, that's unfortunate to hear. Oh well. It kinda sucks, but not a big deal I guess. :p

LiamR

I've just heard that it's "okay". Not bad. Just a little underwhelming given the expectations and hype. Some have suggested it doesn't feel very modern. Some of the complaints I've heard from various people include outdated level design, stiff controls, the platforming physics not being too hot.

Again, this is just from a few people. It's not like I performed an industry wide survey. I've not played it myself either.

One person did mention that some of the more advanced levels were a bit more interesting, which is why I said that I can see it having its defenders.

gogojira

I see you talking shit.

This is hilarious.

Dmax3901

This game is a really strange case cause previews are allowed but there's still a review embargo. With the embargo so close previews/impressions essentially just become review excerpts so... guess I'll just shutup til my review gets posted.

robotrock

Banned
This game is a really strange case cause previews are allowed but there's still a review embargo. With the embargo so close previews/impressions essentially just become review excerpts so... guess I'll just shutup til my review gets posted.

PM your impressions to Liam and he'll post them for you either here or on Twitter

LiamR

This is hilarious.

Maybe I was a little harsh there but it feels awful to come on here, reading threads I'm genuinely interested in and see total strangers who I've never interacted with in my life passing judgement on me for shit that makes zero sense to me. My Twitter is just a way for me to interact with friends and people who watch my stuff. It's not some grand scheme to get more people to look at my tweets because I desperately crave attention. What would I gain from that? I really don't know.

Edit:

PM your impressions to Liam and he'll post them for you either here or on Twitter

Feel free to do that.

Artanisix

TheMink

If this gets an 80+ I'd be ecstatic, not for my sake but for theirs.

Also just another reminder:

|OT| A Lizard and a Bat and a Snake in a Hat

shiyrley

Banned
Cus nostalgia!!!!!!!!!

&#55357;&#56900;
Holy shit, people being nostalgic about a game revolving about nostalgia?
Tune in for more surprising facts, such as the sky being blue, or Trump doing something stupid

The spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie should have Banjo style levels. We'll see about the rest of complains. I'm hopeful
EDIT: Also guys, this may surprise you, but Liam telling you to keep your expectations in check doesn't mean the game is bad. I know the current review scores are either THE BEST THING IN THE UNIVERSE or absolute garbage, but come on

gogojira

Holy shit, people being nostalgic about a game revolving about nostalgia?
Tune in for more surprising facts, such as the sky being blue, or Trump doing something stupid

The spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie should have Banjo style levels. We'll see about the rest of complains. I'm hopeful

Lol no shit. I backed this 100 percent for nostalgia.

Camjo-Z

If this gets an 80+ I'd be ecstatic, not for my sake but for theirs.

Also just another reminder:

|OT| A Lizard and a Bat and a Snake in a Hat

Seconded.

Alright, anyone who wants to suggest an OT title or vote for one already said, let's hear it! Here's the selection so far:

|OT| Pun For The Whole Family - Camjo-Z
|OT| If You Know The Words You Can Join In Too - maxcriden
|OT| A Lizard and a Bat and a Snake in a Hat - TheMink

They should just release the codes to backers tomorrow and let us judge for ourselves after reviews. I mean, what's the harm? We've already paid anyway and reviewer already have it.

Also, I don't know if it's just me willing myself into positivity (probably is) but such an early embargo shows that at least Playtonic is confident in the game, even if reviewers aren't all fans. The genre is definitely not for everyone.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Maybe I was a little harsh there but it feels awful to come on here, reading threads I'm genuinely interested in and see total strangers who I've never interacted with in my life passing judgement on me for shit that makes zero sense to me. My Twitter is just a way for me to interact with friends and people who watch my stuff. It's not some grand scheme to get more people to look at my tweets because I desperately crave attention. What would I gain from that? I really don't know.

don't let the negativity get to you, keep up the good work.

Edit:

Feel free to do that.

If you want some more impressions, here's one:
https://www.twitter.com/Beta64Official/status/846551238481268736
And a preview Q&A from GameXplain where Ash states that he liked the game despite some performance issues at least on Xbox One.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0rCB2tf70

Edit:

Feel free to do that.

Come on dude, you should know by now Twitter is public and worldwide. If you want it just for your friends set your account to private. You cant be that naive.

Not everybody is going to like a release, game or otherwise. Generally panned or not, there will still be some people who find this game is right up their alley, I guarantee it. I feel like there's many who expect this to fix all the problems with the collectathon genre, and will refuse to give this game any merit if it doesn't get perfect scores all around. It's such a silly way of looking at it all.

Watch Da Birdie

No confirmations yet but I think the third world is water-focused.

I've been on blackout about this game mostly so I wasn't sure if we knew all the worlds yet---do we have a number though?

Top Bottom