• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thanks for the advice. No one has mentioned an MRI option to me yet. I'll keep that in mind if things dont get better. A physical therapist sounds really nice as well, but I dont want to spend money on that if I can avoid it. Still, I will if I have to.
Im pretty sure my small tricep tear has healed (its no sore there anymore), but my upper forearm and elbow joint are in bad shape. This is the first time I've had problems with either arm at all, but I suspect I wasnt training as hard as you were when you injured yours.
I saw my doctor today and he told me to massage the area, apply Voltarin gel, wear an arm band strap and do some basic stretches. He also said if it doesnt improve in 6-8 weeks, have some physio sessions. give that 6-8 weeks and then come and see him again, if I still have problems. Im not even allowed to do pushups, as they put too much stress on the injury. Bummer.
If you think it’s healed then the myofascial release should help a ton. Kelly Starrett has a lot of videos you can look up, I trust his input he’s a great physical therapist

I had issues with the upper forearm as well after the tricep injuries. It takes a decent program, with the right warm up, exercises, stretches, and tissue work but in time it’s going to subside - all your pain. Just have to stay patient. But I can’t overemphasize the importance of tissue work though. If you have scar tissue, any adhesions, or knots in your fascia, the pain might take a much longer time to subside or it could even persist at similar levels well into your rehab program until you address it. You may have to break up this tissue over time in your problem areas if you are to feel 100% better. It was the case for me at least

You could have some referred pain as well. It could be that you need to work on your tissue near the neck, back, chest as well to alleviate the forearm pain for good. Hope some of this informations translates to better health going forward. Feel free if you have any questions, I can always share more info if needed. Rehabilitating an injury the correct way is important, but it’s not uncommon to make progress only to take steps backward, even when receiving professional help; they know the most but do not know it all. That much I know for certain. So if you have any questions definitely feel free to ask bro

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Going to have to start adding a few burpees to my workout only do a few a time to build up stamina

Some lockdown workout ideas using house holds items or parts of the house.

I wonder if pillow cases filled with books can work.

Not sure if it was posted here. But I saw a prison workout where they took hearty duty bin/trash bags and filled them with water and used them to do curls.

*Please note I’m searching for the exercise then posting a video. so I don’t know views of the people in those videos. They might not have any so that’s cool. But politics and all that seems to be getting dragged into everything. Maybes it’s me not sleeping watching and waiting for the results of the election. I’m over tired.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
This video was recommended to me on Youtube, probably because i watched that contortionist one, and I absolutely clicked it for the obvious reasons, but i really like the look of that workout move she does here where she rests on one forearm and then alternates between them as she twists her abdomen. I'm gonna steal that. That's absolutely an area of my body I need to work on, not even to get abs... just to not have so much flab, and apart from kettlebell swings, I never target it because I loathe crunches, sit ups ,etc

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This video was recommended to me on Youtube, probably because i watched that contortionist one, and I absolutely clicked it for the obvious reasons, but i really like the look of that workout move she does here where she rests on one forearm and then alternates between them as she twists her abdomen. I'm gonna steal that. That's absolutely an area of my body I need to work on, not even to get abs... just to not have so much flab, and apart from kettlebell swings, I never target it because I loathe crunches, sit ups ,etc

This video while less of a fetish is good. I like it

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
That guy looks overweight in a way. The way he moves is out of breath etc. It must have taxed his knees and heart

Yeah I heard about him through GAF but he loved how he wanted. But looking at his wiki. 143kg?!!

Be that through fat or muscle neither are good.
Rich was hardcore. He took it way past healthy limits, but that’s the life he loved. The gym and bodybuilding was his world

If anyone here is thinking about getting into arm wrestling, or just trying it out, I'd highly recommend getting the Arm Bet app.

This is Devon Larratt's love project.

Setup a profile and look for people in your area. They should say what their experience is in their profile. Look for someone with the most experience near you, message them and ask if they can teach you.

The alternative is to search online for arm wrestling clubs in your state. (This is coming to the ArmBet app soon) Arm wrestlers are ALWAYS looking for people to train with because the more people at the table during practice, the better. There is nothing that replaces table time and peoples schedules are so varied that finding someone who is willing to be there when you can be is really valuable.

EDIT: I'm also here if anyone has any questions about anything of course. And anything I can't answer, I can ask Mr. Stapleton.

Last edited:
I am struggling to get enough calories in each day. Any recs on a high cal meal/snack I can cram in during the day?
Trail mix is my go to snack when I'm trying to lay off of the other snack foods. It provides a really good slow digesting source of energy, protein and calories all day. Basically we buy a healthy prepackaged mix of walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and some dried cranberries with no added salt or sugar etc. and then we add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews and such to whatever portion we pour out for ourselves and as we please.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Trail mix is my go to snack when I'm trying to lay off of the other snack foods. It provides a really good slow digesting source of energy, protein and calories all day. Basically we buy a healthy prepackaged mix of walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and some dried cranberries with no added salt or sugar etc. and then we add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews and such to whatever portion we pour out for ourselves and as we please.

I've been doing nuts as a snack. Today blazed by and I wound up running out. Sitting at only 1,400 cals after eating lunch & dinner. :(

I've been doing nuts as a snack. Today blazed by and I wound up running out. Sitting at only 1,400 cals after eating lunch & dinner. :(
Some of my other healthy favorites are... peanut/almond butter and bananas, hummus and bell pepper, horse radish and carrots, bean chips and tuna...

Also, dark chocolate (70-85%) has around 168 calories per ounce. You could put some of that in your trail mix.

However, I'm not the greatest to ask as I don't and have never counted calories. I just eat healthy foods and keep on trucking.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Some of my other healthy favorites are... peanut/almond butter and bananas, hummus and bell pepper, horse radish and carrots, bean chips and tuna...

Also, dark chocolate (70-85%) has around 168 calories per ounce. You could put some of that in your trail mix.

However, I'm not the greatest to ask as I don't and have never counted calories. I just eat healthy foods and keep on trucking.

Much appreciated brother.

Feelin real good tonight boys. Bout to hit it heavy again... This recent burst of vitality is ridiculous.

tenor.gif

teezzy

Banned
I'd like to think my diet is pretty good overall

Meat, broccoli, spinach, avocados, eggs, almonds, whole milk, water, yogurt with protein powder and MCT oil, cheese - i genuinely dont eat other food than this; i take a multivitamin; a d3 tablet, and some magnesium for whatever else my diet is missing daily

I literally don't eat anything else but i spend so much time every day sitting on my ass working from home/posting here that i'm not getting the results i'd like

I've always kinda fell off on this before but truthfully i'm at a point in life where im not sure what else to do, so i might as well stick to what i can do. like everything sounds so fucking boring to me apart from working out and posting here

pushups, walking, kettlebell stuff, pullups, dips, and upright rows which i do with my kettlebell and kinda turn into an overhead press

i wish i could like figure out a routine, i very much do enjoy discipline and structure as im so naturally all over the place

all this is intriguing to me but still feels so foreign simultaneously, like i need to devise a plan. i got my 35lb dumb bell, two 8lb dumbells, a 30lb kettlebell, and an iron gym and a planet fitness membership (but i really dont wanna wear a mask and workout... wtf)

just consistency and structure seems to be key here; i know ive made this post before more or less and i feel like a dildo always falling off the wagon; i really do enjoy working out

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler do you or Mr. Stapleton have any advice or tips to increase overall strength of connective tissue like tendons and ligaments? Anecdotal or any books? In your other posts a while back I think from what I could remember it’s mainly about extremely high repetitions with very low weights

Red pepper hummus and navy bean or black chips (entire bag offer around 1k calories, about 34 grams of protein

Protein bars are usually about 160-300 calories depending on the ingredients

Could load up a protein shake with nut butter, fruits, add coconut milk or coconut cream

Pasta will usually come in handy. Used to eat a lot of that to meet surplus kcals

What you mean?
Pointing out that the upright rows is not like the other exercises as in it’s not chest related

Good call. Perfect form over everything. I use the one foot technique a lot as well when performing bicep curls. Balance and engaging the core are critical components for anyone to work on

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
teezzy teezzy there are guys here who can give you much better guidance but

What are your goals? I started out just wanting to lose weight (I was about 30 lbs overweight). So I stopped the booze and started taking long bike rides 3-4 times a week (15-25 miles). After losing 20 lbs doing that, I realized I didn’t want to look like a skinny cyclist so I switched to weightlifting (at the gym). Been doing that since early September or so and I’ve been making some decent progress. Now I’m aiming to just build the best body I can within reason (I don’t put on muscle easily so I’m not expecting to ever get too impressive).

teezzy

Banned
haxan7 haxan7 I want to gain muscle more than anything. I'm only 175 - 180 and my max BMI at a normal range is 170. So I'm only 5 to 10 lbs overweight.. how much of that is water weight idk. I'm weak though. I'd like to be stronger. Or to quote kevin spacey in American Beauty... "I wanna look good with my shirt off"

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

I was under the impression that dips were more in the shoulder? Same as like doing pullups or overhead

I use these inclined railings by my side door and I just kinda hang there and go up and down. I cant do it too many times is the problem
Same with any exercise. But consistency, right?

Heres the railings for reference they're above steps.

20201105-234516.jpg

teezzy

Banned
teezzy teezzy physically going to a gym seems to work to keep me accountable to myself and sticking to it. I’d look into nearby gyms if you keep falling off the wagon

Michigan has covid laws rn where you gotta wear a mask I'm every public building. Id hate to have one on and do cardio or whatever. I have enough here I could get a decent workout with at my beginner stage for now, I feel.

Thank you though, I appreciate the advice a lot. I'm just some dude who lives alone tryna not go crazy every day lol

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Michigan has covid laws rn where you gotta wear a mask I'm every public building. Id hate to have one on and do cardio or whatever. I have enough here I could get a decent workout with at my beginner stage for now, I feel.

Thank you though, I appreciate the advice a lot. I'm just some dude who lives alone tryna not go crazy every day lol
I lived alone for five months and it was the life but it was also depressing as well. The gym, basketball with my friends, and my work kept me sane. Reading and playing Resident Evil games as well during that time helped a lot too lol. That’s all I would do, stay active all day and knock out like a fucking rock around 9-10pm

Many hours of activity during the day is the way to do it. Gym, some sort of high exertion sport, and a job where you’re very active or at least standing is the way to live imo

teezzy

Banned
I've lived alone for 5 years more or less unless i was dating someone and let them stay with me. I can afford it, and roommates piss me off unless theyre an SO of some sort and we can bump uglies so they piss me off less :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Never actually had a roommate proper before - sounds awful. but okay gonna do some more pushups and walk the dog before hitting the sack

Thank you everyone

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
haxan7 haxan7 I want to gain muscle more than anything. I'm only 175 - 180 and my max BMI at a normal range is 170. So I'm only 5 to 10 lbs overweight.. how much of that is water weight idk. I'm weak though. I'd like to be stronger. Or to quote kevin spacey in American Beauty... "I wanna look good with my shirt off"

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

I was under the impression that dips were more in the shoulder? Same as like doing pullups or overhead

I use these inclined railings by my side door and I just kinda hang there and go up and down. I cant do it too many times is the problem
Same with any exercise. But consistency, right?

Heres the railings for reference they're above steps.

20201105-234516.jpg
Dips improved my triceps the most, decent bulk added to the anterior deltoids, and it helped my upper chest grow a decent bit I noticed in the time I was doing them. I gave them up for more incline benching a long time ago but during the year or two I included them in the routine they were a great exercise. I have a broad chest but I attribute that to pushups and benching mainly, cable work.

A lot of factors that go into building muscle but if you are following a decent program, eat right rest well and meet your macros you should see tremendous results with 6-8 months of dedicated training. What's a typical workout look like for you teezzy teezzy ?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
i wish i could like figure out a routine, i very much do enjoy discipline and structure as im so naturally all over the place
I'm fairly anti-routine myself. I don't write down a list of exercises to do, and I don't track reps, but with that said...

Why don't you write down your "core" list of exercises for each day? Rotate exercises in (and out) as you get bored and improve them. Fill your day with progressions and regressions, and keep pushing into harder forms. Over time, learn several forms so that you can perform "flows" to keep yourself moving (linking between different forms).

There are tons of kettlebell flow videos. You can also steal a lot of the moves from indian clubs and use them in kettlebells. Look em up.

It's easy to get bored while exercising and training. You have to spice things up for yourself. In this arena, I think gyms have a massive advantage because they are full of "toys" with which you can distract yourself. Disciplining yourself to master a smaller range of tools is a challenge. A lot of people don't manage to pull it off. Learning to self-discipline is itself a fitness goal.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yesterday I did about two hours of walking my app counted nearly 800 calories burnt. Don’t discount walking. It’s a great exercise can also meditate in motion be mindful and enjoy nature. Such a simple pleasure but I think it gets over looked or maybe that’s me.

Last edited:

Drake

Yesterday I did about two hours of walking my app counted nearly 800 calories burnt. Don’t discount walking. It’s a great exercise can also meditate in motion be mindful and enjoy nature. Such a simple pleasure but I think it gets over looked or maybe that’s me.

Yeah, I go for walks all the time. I tried running on the treadmill at my gym , but I just cannot do it with a mask on. I hate running on hard surfaces, so I've been going on lots of walks. Gives me a chance to go through a bunch of bands discographies too. It sucks with the weather changing though. Won't be able to go for walks for too much longer.

I am looking forward to running on a treadmill without a mask though.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
im hitting new PRs across the board tmrw, all lifts all exercises going to kill it tmrw
mind is set to accomplish it. will be tough with the OHP and pullups but my plan is to focus more on breathing deep + mentally prep during the warm up

Last edited:
Top Bottom