• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Aces High

Aces High Aces High have you ever tried stronglifts 5x5?
Yes, I tried Stronglifts 5x5. It's is one of the worst programs out there. Complete waste of time. I'm 100% sure you would have achieved much better results with a good program like Doggcrapp for example.

Again:

If you want to build muscle, do a real hypertrophy training like the one from Jordan Peters I posted earlier.

If you want to become strong, do a real powerlifting training like the one from Boris Sheiko for example.

If you try to do both at the same time, you will achieve neither. This is an ice cold fact.

No one would expect to be a successful marathon runner by training for a 100 m dash. It's stupid. But somehow when it comes to lifting weights, people expect some magic to happen so they can achieve A by training for B. It won't happen.

Last edited:
Yes, I tried Stronglifts 5x5. It's is one of the worst programs out there. Complete waste of time. I'm 100% sure you would have achieved much better results with a good program like Doggcrapp for example.

Again:

If you want to build muscle, do a real hypertrophy training like the one from Jordan Peters I posted earlier.

If you want to become strong, do a real powerlifting training like the one from Boris Sheiko for example.

If you try to do both at the same time, you will achieve neither. This is an ice cold fact.

No one would expect to be a successful marathon runner by training for a 100 m dash. It's stupid. But somehow when it comes to lifting weights, people expect some magic to happen so they can achieve A by training for B. It won't happen. I got strength and size doing stronglifts.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately for me my body responded very well to Creatine. I think with a decent trainer/coach I could have gone further, but confidence back then was rock bottom. I'm quite introverted but when I was introduced to a bodybuilding gym at the age of seventeen called Reps in West Sussex, I finally found something to direct my frustration.

At age twenty three

Bench press 185 klilos for 5 reps or 200 kilos for 1 rep.
Deadlift 270 kilos for 1 rep.
Rack pull 300 - 350 kilos 5 reps
Squat 220 kilos 5x5 never maxed out.
Leg press 670 kilos for 1 rep
Standing military press 138 kilos 1 rep
Ez curl bar 107 kilos 5x5
At 22.5st weighted dips/pullups with a 25kg plate. 5x5

At my biggest I was 22.5st at 5'10".

19.5 inch neck
56 inch chest
21.5 inch arms
40 inch waist
28 inch thighs

Last edited:

Aces High

First of all, you're a strong person if you're telling the truth which I don't think is the case. Your 5 rep curl is just 7 kg below the 1 rep world record. But let's assume you're not lying just for the fun of it. In your case, this strength is a matter of superior biomechanics. While you can learn to become strong in compound movements by enhancing technique and intramuscular coordination, you have high strength in single-joint movements like curls as well. This means your strength comes naturally.

Second, you list a lot of exercises thar are not part of Stronglifts 5x5. The real plan has no curls, no leg press, no vertical pulls. Which means that you came to the conclusion yourself that Stronglifts is rubbish. Otherwise you would have not changed anything.

Third, If you trained with a coach, he would have told you the exact same things as I did.

No I'm not a liar! It took me years to be able to do that. They weren't strict curls up against a wall, they were cheat curls and I wouldn't just bang them out I needed rest period's between sets. Also I incorporated other things other than just bench, sqaut and deadlift. Stronglifts were my base I just incorporated other things to it and it worked for me at the time. I listed personal bests they werent lifts I'd do regularly.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For sure! I hope haha! When my operation is done and my chronic shit is done with as well and I (Finally) chose a program I'd like to get to 200kg next summer. And at least 100+kg Squats.

I've never followed a program really. It was only about getting as ripped as possible. Which I did.

Now it's a different approach but the real work starts after the operation/stabilized pelvis/blabla so yeah

Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT said just think about lifting cheese

4HAx3hF.jpg

TC0Ta8e.jpg

😅😅😅😅

Raven117

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately for me my body responded very well to Creatine. I think with a decent trainer/coach I could have gone further, but confidence back then was rock bottom. I'm quite introverted but when I was introduced to a bodybuilding gym at the age of seventeen called Reps in West Sussex, I finally found something to direct my frustration.

At age twenty three

Bench press 185 klilos for 5 reps or 200 kilos for 1 rep.
Deadlift 270 kilos for 1 rep.
Rack pull 300 - 350 kilos 5 reps
Squat 220 kilos 5x5 never maxed out.
Leg press 670 kilos for 1 rep
Standing military press 138 kilos 1 rep
Ez curl bar 107 kilos 5x5
At 22.5st weighted dips/pullups with a 25kg plate. 5x5

At my biggest I was 22.5st at 5'10".

19.5 inch neck
56 inch chest
21.5 inch arms
40 inch waist
28 inch thighs
Woof. You are getting into monster category here.

Aces High Aces High have you ever tried stronglifts 5x5? I did strong lifts for over a decade and put on crazy size and strength mostly using free weights and some plate loading and cable machines. No way could I have got my gains without free weights. I appreciate your wealth of knowledge dwarves mine, I'm just going by my own personal experience.

I've had a few lower back injuries over the years so I've stuck to pyramid training 4x12 for the last 13 years and my strength and size are similar but no way near to when I did stronglifts.

To be fair my biggest lifts were in my early twenties and I'm 40 now. Without Creatine I don't think I could plow through my workouts.
We don't know where you are at now, but it kinda sounds like you are detrained a bit and can probably get back on some newbie gains.

While Aces is right generally, its not as clear cut as that. Train for strength (like in the 3x5 range for the compounds), eat over maintenance, you will get strong and you will also grow (but the emphasis will be on strength). Train in the 3x8-12 range, you will grow and you will also get strong (but the emphasis will be on growing). Saying that no one will get bigger if they take a bench press from 135 to 250 (or something like that) is nonsense. Same as saying if someone worked in the 8-12 rep range, their bench press wont increase. Of course it will. (Its just making sure your goals are aligning to what the programs are designed to do).

You need to figure out what direction you want to head. More strength or more size. At 40 (especially with your history), Id try and get alot of those strength gains back first (unless you are trying to lose weight). It should come quick as its always easier the second time. Work in the 3 sets of 5 range for a few months in the big compound movements. See where you are at. Then switch over to the 8-12 rep range.

For clarity, Aces advocates for the Bodybuilder approach, I advocate for the Strength first approach. Neither are wrong, its just different goals (and different bodies).

Raven117

For sure! I hope haha! When my operation is done and my chronic shit is done with as well and I (Finally) chose a program I'd like to get to 200kg next summer. And at least 100+kg Squats.

I've never followed a program really. It was only about getting as ripped as possible. Which I did.

Now it's a different approach but the real work starts after the operation/stabilized pelvis/blabla so yeah

4HAx3hF.jpg

TC0Ta8e.jpg

😅😅😅😅
Awesome man. Stay after it. Good luck on your surgeries. Thats a tough deal.

Raven117 Raven117 I'm definitely down sized now. When I was a tree surgeon it was hell carry myself at that weight up and down trees and eventually I naturally went into a catabolic state as I couldn't eat enough calories.

I see a chiropractor once a month and he keeps me pain free. Deadlifts and Sqauts both physiotherapy and the chiropractor have both warned me against, so I improvise. I still push myself on the bench and can get into the 180s before stalling.

I do a three day split at the gym and walk 4 to 6 miles a few times a week. I like doing 4x12 on everything and increasing the weight and then a drop sets. I'm happier and healthier sat at 19st and certainly more muscular. When I did Krav Maga I did a lot of jogging with my club so I might take that up again.

I went up here today which is a nice ramble and part of the National Trust. I take the orange route which may be my route back to jogging.

AQJkSXf.jpg

4HAx3hF.jpg

TC0Ta8e.jpg

😅😅😅😅
Do you get tight hip flexers just out of curiosity? No matter how much I stretch I'd always run into problems, which led to bulging discs. The plate loaded leg press is what ultimately gave me disc issues I think from going to deep rounding at the bottom.

Do you do conventional deadlifts? I quite liked sumo deadlifts in the past (frightening how close the piggies get to the plates).

Raven117

Raven117 Raven117 I'm definitely down sized now. When I was a tree surgeon it was hell carry myself at that weight up and down trees and eventually I naturally went into a catabolic state as I couldn't eat enough calories.

I see a chiropractor once a month and he keeps me pain free. Deadlifts and Sqauts both physiotherapy and the chiropractor have both warned me against, so I improvise. I still push myself on the bench and can get into the 180s before stalling.

I do a three day split at the gym and walk 4 to 6 miles a few times a week. I like doing 4x12 on everything and increasing the weight and then a drop sets. I'm happier and healthier sat at 19st and certainly more muscular. When I did Krav Maga I did a lot of jogging with my club so I might take that up again.

I went up here today which is a nice ramble and part of the National Trust. I take the orange route which may be my route back to jogging.

AQJkSXf.jpg
All bad ass stuff man. What was the reasoning for chiropracter and physiotherapist to warn you off squats and deadlift? (Either way, you know what you are doing...you were at beast size).

What's your split and routine? Now I'm just curious. Aces may have some great input on this as well.

All bad ass stuff man. What was the reasoning for chiropracter and physiotherapist to warn you off squats and deadlift? (Either way, you know what you are doing...you were at beast size).

What's your split and routine? Now I'm just curious. Aces may have some great input on this as well.
I'm a Liar according to Aces lol.

aOG8XoM.gif

Yes input would be appreciated from yourself.

Yeah no deadlifts or squats due to moderate degenerative discs in my lumbar area S1,L3, L4 and L5 due to twenty three year of weight training and a few years of Krav Maga. Wear and tear I guess.

I have to improvise unfortunately, as any rounding of my lower back and I'll potentially feel moderate pain. The most important thing to me is mobility and being pain free. Regular stretching and walking is a godsend.

Some times I swap the days around. I do alot of rotator cuff warm ups and dead hangs just for peace of mind every gym visit. I do 35 minutes on a elliptical machine each time afterwards as well.

This is going to look odd as I'm not even sure what I'm doing anymore tbh, I'm just trying to hit everything. In my head 4x12 but I'm doing way more in some exercises.🤣

Monday

Bench

20x warm with the bar
12x 60kg
12x 100kg
12x 140kg
1x182kg *currently* (I start at 140kg and add 2kg a week until I fail and then rinse and repeat.)
12x 100kg
35x 60kg (explosively) to failure

Plate loaded Seated row
12x 80kg
12x 120kg
12x 160kg
12x 200kg
6x 220kg

Lateral side raises dumbbells
12x 18kg
12x 20kg
12x 24kg
12x 26kg

Calf raises
4x12 200kg

Reverse cable crossovers
12x 10kg
12x 15kg
12x 20kg
12x 25kg

Wednesday

Pullups

2x 12

Plate loaded lat pull downs
12x 120kg
12x 160kg
12x 200kg
12x 220kg

Seated military press smith machine
12x 60kg
12x 100kg
12x 120kg
12x 100kg

Triceps single cable pushdowns
12x 10kg
12x 15kg
12x 20kg
12x 25kg

Triceps overhead cable extensions
12x 35kg
12x 35kg
12x 45kg
12x 50kg

 Friday

 Shrugs

12x 140kg
12x 160kg
12x 180kg
12x 200kg
12x 140kg

Dumbbell curls
16x 26kg
16x 28kg
16x 32kg
16x 35kg

Reverse curls ez bar
4x12 47kg

Pin pull leg press (can't use Plate loaded leg press)

Individual leg at a time!
12x 140kg
12x 160kg
12x 180kg
12x 200kg

Adductor thigh machine
4x20 100kg

Abductor thigh machine
4x20 100kg

Leg curl machine
12x 85kg
12x 95kg
12x 100kg
12x 105kg
12x 85kg

Hammer curls
4x12 20kg

Wheel rollouts
4x12

l2ytFI3.gif

Last edited:

Raven117

I'm a Liar according to Aces lol.

aOG8XoM.gif

Yes input would be appreciated from yourself.

Yeah no deadlifts or squats due to moderate degenerative discs in my lumbar area S1,L3, L4 and L5 due to twenty three year of weight training and a few years of Krav Maga. Wear and tear I guess.

I have to improvise unfortunately, as any rounding of my lower back and I'll potentially feel moderate pain. The most important thing to me is mobility and being pain free. Regular stretching and walking is a godsend.

Some times I swap the days around. I do alot of rotator cuff warm ups and dead hangs just for peace of mind every gym visit. I do 35 minutes on a elliptical machine each time afterwards as well.

This is going to look odd as I'm not even sure what I'm doing anymore tbh, I'm just trying to hit everything. In my head 4x12 but I'm doing way more in some exercises.🤣

Monday

Bench

20x warm with the bar
12x 60kg
12x 100kg
12x 140kg
1x182kg *currently* (I start at 140kg and add 2kg a week until I fail and then rinse and repeat.)
12x 100kg
35x 60kg (explosively) to failure

Plate loaded Seated row
12x 80kg
12x 120kg
12x 160kg
12x 200kg
6x 220kg

Lateral side raises dumbbells
12x 18kg
12x 20kg
12x 24kg
12x 26kg

Calf raises
4x12 200kg

Reverse cable crossovers
12x 10kg
12x 15kg
12x 20kg
12x 25kg

Wednesday

Pullups

2x 12

Plate loaded lat pull downs
12x 120kg
12x 160kg
12x 200kg
12x 220kg

Seated military press smith machine
12x 60kg
12x 100kg
12x 120kg
12x 100kg

Triceps single cable pushdowns
12x 10kg
12x 15kg
12x 20kg
12x 25kg

Triceps overhead cable extensions
12x 35kg
12x 35kg
12x 45kg
12x 50kg

 Friday

 Shrugs

12x 140kg
12x 160kg
12x 180kg
12x 200kg
12x 140kg

Dumbbell curls
16x 26kg
16x 28kg
16x 32kg
16x 35kg

Reverse curls ez bar
4x12 47kg

Pin pull leg press (can't use Plate loaded leg press)

Individual leg at a time!
12x 140kg
12x 160kg
12x 180kg
12x 200kg

Adductor thigh machine
4x20 100kg

Abductor thigh machine
4x20 100kg

Leg curl machine
12x 85kg
12x 95kg
12x 100kg
12x 105kg
12x 85kg

Hammer curls
4x12 20kg

Wheel rollouts
4x12

l2ytFI3.gif
Yeah man, I’m no expert, but it’s hard for me to see a coherent strategy in this.

Honestly man, you are out of my depth and experience. You are still strong as an ox but definitely need something tailored to you. Have you considered some online coaching?

You also haven’t said if you want more of a bodybuilding style (which you are on) or something more strength focused (knowing you have some back issues).

I think you need some professional guidance here. And not some personal trainer and globo-gym, but someone who really can help program you. I know a great online coach if you want me to pass along his information.

You definitely have an interesting issue.

Yeah man, I’m no expert, but it’s hard for me to see a coherent strategy in this.

Honestly man, you are out of my depth and experience. You are still strong as an ox but definitely need something tailored to you. Have you considered some online coaching?

You also haven’t said if you want more of a bodybuilding style (which you are on) or something more strength focused (knowing you have some back issues).

I think you need some professional guidance here. And not some personal trainer and globo-gym, but someone who really can help program you. I know a great online coach if you want me to pass along his information.

You definitely have an interesting issue.
I was thinking of asking a personal trainer in the gym. Are they generally that useless then?

Aces High

I'm trolling? Yeah I've lost any kind of respect I had for you. I'm sticking you on ignore now, how pathetic.
Says the guy who recommends one of the worst strength programs ever. Who curls world record 100 kg with 5 reps and bad form and does so for 5 sets straight. Who does 1 rep max PRs casually between his countless junk volume sets. Who constantly changes his standpoint and suddenly trains a junk volume plan that couldn't be further away from the rubbish Stronglifts program he initially tried to hype. Yeah, ignore me.

Raven117

I was thinking of asking a personal trainer in the gym. Are they generally that useless then?
Yeah, they are going to be useless to you. If I were you, you need to get with an online coach (or a real coach in your area), that can help design something for you. With your issues surrounding your back and your overall lifting history, I wouldn't pick something up off the shelf.

Yeah, they are going to be useless to you. If I were you, you need to get with an online coach (or a real coach in your area), that can help design something for you. With your issues surrounding your back and your overall lifting history, I wouldn't pick something up off the shelf.
I'd need it to be face to face, doing it online doesn't appeal to me. I'm struggling mentally and physically maintaining my routine. My passion for the gym is pretty much dead nowadays and I've to force myself to go like many others I'd imagine. I want to get into mountain biking at some point or something outside the confines of a gym setting. I appreciate the advice Raven, but I'm going too stay out of this thread now.

Raven117

I'd need it to be face to face, doing it online doesn't appeal to me. I'm struggling mentally and physically maintaining my routine. My passion for the gym is pretty much dead nowadays and I've to force myself to go like many others I'd imagine. I want to get into mountain biking at some point or something outside the confines of a gym setting. I appreciate the advice Raven, but I'm going too stay out of this thread now.
Fair enough my man. I do think you should reach out to some true professionals in your area to help you out. Maybe it is time you take a break and do some things you want to enjoy. Its all a part of wellness. The gym will always be there for you when you are ready.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Plus relax.

Man i love to walk as well.

Not strolling. More akin to power walking.

Gives me peace. Can concentrate on my breathing etc.

Plus it relaxes the mind.

Mostly between 1.5 and 2 hours.

I have a route whith the most nature. It's repetitive somewhat but still. Plus being outside.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Had to start over many times my man. Hence i know the feeling of FFS regarding the gym. Hence the walking and stretching. It's a nice break from the gym and you get a lot of benefits.

Sure. Sometimes you need to force yourself. With that said you never know how it'll go once your there.

I sympathize and I hope you find a way to feel motivated again. ♡

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
0kOrTh3.jpg

gaUI5Bf.jpg

Forgot my shin guards.

88ekh37.jpg

135kg 1 rep.

I'm so used to building up the weight step by step to really warm up and get that mind muscle connection locked in.

But I'm not sure it's not the right approach for DL's

Then again I really have to be careful in regards to PT shit.

After the op I'll look up some program instead of semi randomly lifting.

Without counting the barbell..

5 x 20kg
5 x 40kg
5 x 80kg
5 x 100kg
5 x 110kg
1 x 120kg

And some dumbell shoulder presses

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Happy to report that I have almost put my type 2 diabetes into remission! My blood sugar has gone down from 63 to 36 (48 and below = good), I have also lost almost 5 stone this year! (70 pounds I believe for you yanks?)

Still a ways to go before I'm fully chipper and back to my old self but am living a far more happier and healthier life!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Happy to report that I have almost put my type 2 diabetes into remission! My blood sugar has gone down from 63 to 36 (48 and below = good), I have also lost almost 5 stone this year! (70 pounds I believe for you yanks?)

Still a ways to go before I'm fully chipper and back to my old self but am living a far more happier and healthier life!
Hell yeah that’s impressive. Keep up the good work. It’s important
exercise makes a difference, I had similar where i was overweight I was having higher blood pressure and on the side of going to develop diabetes.
But exercise helped stop that.

Diet plays an import role also. But keep up the good work. The temptation may to be to kick back etc don’t do it. The weight will come back if you do. (I know I went from like 18 1/2 to fourteen, felt great though ahh exercise is over time to reap the rewards) now I’m a lot older and heavier than I was but I’m back on it. Keep it up
Video Game Fist Bump GIF by CAPCOM

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You can! With the use of steroids, which this guy clearly uses.

Well ofcourse. He was my parascocial mentor for years. 2 times runner up at second place, both times losing to Phill Heat.

I never wanted to be big. His approach was just as much applicable in regards to developing my body regardless.

And you know what, it sure as hell did. Had the best physic and got ask if I did competition lol. Even got a nickname. King Dry.

But that was 10 years ago lmao

I just really connected with his approach.

Kai Greene

AKA Mr Getting it done! 😅

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You can! With the use of steroids, which this guy clearly uses.

BTW I supersetted like that natty. I was referring to the lack of other people. You can go from one excercise to the other.
Nowadays it's to busy and I hate sitting on my ass waiting.

Raven117

Well ofcourse. He was my parascocial mentor for years. 2 times runner up at second place, both times losing to Phill Heat.

I never wanted to be big. His approach was just as much applicable in regards to developing my body regardless.

And you know what, it sure as hell did. Had the best physic and got ask if I did competition lol. Even got a nickname. King Dry.

But that was 10 years ago lmao

I just really connected with his approach.

Kai Greene

AKA Mr Getting it done! 😅

BTW I supersetted like that natty. I was referring to the lack of other people. You can go from one excercise to the other.
Nowadays it's to busy and I hate sitting on my ass waiting.
I hear ya. I just like knowing when a dude is equipped to know exactly who is giving the advice.

And yeah.... crowded gyms are pretty miserable.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It came naturally upon stumbling upon him back then. Huge focus on mind muscle connection and overall mindfulness.

It just resonated well with my mindset in general.

So many times rewatching his vids back then and trying to learn and taking it in practice

I just like knowing when a dude is equipped to know exactly who is giving the advice.

Well said Raven. 💪🏽

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Here's my lifting discrepancy. Talking about roughly 3x maxes.

Bench - 98/100
Squat - 105
Overhead press - 65
Deadlift - 125

Probably won't progress with bench or ohp anymore, but I'm happy with those numbers. Lower body on the other hand, yikes. Would like to get to at least 120kg working squat and 140 deadlift. But sleep is a bit rekt since having a baby and going in the morning before work also makes things a bit more difficult.

This is with 93-95 bodyweight. Also hoping to go down to 90-91.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
20 Days of kettlebell exercises and pushups. Up to 64 of each in total so four rounds of 16

KB swing
KB side swing
KB squats
KB front overhead raises
KB rows L then R
Pushups. Now I can do them without being inclined.

Next week I am gonna try and go up to four rounds 20

Also I had to sprint for the bus and I wasn’t winded so that’s good.

Feel like my belly is slowly shrinking. Small steps. 😀

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
9AbiS6U.jpg
oNbSa3O.jpg

In this month was warm weather and i made again.I walk more then 500 km.At the of month winter begin and i start workout at home.
I use fast walk with 8 or 9 min per km .plus in some case i use run.

Top Bottom