• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bealost

MrOogieBoogie said:
Had my "Fuck yeah!" moment of the day.

Did my first unassisted handstand push-up. I've been doing sitting handstands every day the past three weeks, perfecting my form, and today I finally managed to incorporate a single perfect push-up. Keep in mind, this isn't against a wall or anything like that. All balance and core strength.

Feels good, man.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Just curious if something like that will ever be possible for my 5'11'' 200lb frame (i still need to lose another 20 pounds or so)

Bealost said:
I'd say straight forward SS and lose the fruit juice. I substituted chins/pull ups for cleans in ss though because I'm a pussy.
Okay, you need to spell this out for me haha...

SS is an acronym for what?
Cleans in SS? Explain.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Bealost said:
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Just curious if something like that will ever be possible for my 5'11'' 200lb frame (i still need to lose another 20 pounds or so)

I'm 5'11", but only 155.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
reilo said:
His best tip was be on your heels and knees out. If your knees are wobbling as you are coming back up from a squat, you are doing it wrong and risk tearing something. Push those knees out.

Do you mean not bringing your knees in when coming back up? Many elite olympic lifters do that during back/front squats and during the c&j.

Gvaz

Banned
Gvaz said:
Is it a bad thing that my bmr is like 3100 or 3200 and I'm cutting to 2700 but frequently i rarely hit 2k?

I'm trying to get the amount of protein to about my body weight and work out 3 times a week but I don't feel like im making any progress. I try to eat more but idk what to eat? I'm not always hungry
Anyone?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Straightballin said:
Has anyone looked into Layne Norton's PHAT workout?

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-...ll-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

I am thinking about starting it soon but the problem is I can't squat or dead lift due to a busted knee. Any suggestions for substitutes? I have been sticking with machines for my legs for the most part since the injury/surgery and I want to keep it that way for a while.

I'm doing it now, well I add some stuff and change things around every week but its the backbone of it. Showing some results after a month and a bit.

Gvaz

Banned
Breakfast:
Coffee/milk or h&h
Oatmeal/milk/a scoop of protein powder

(may skip entirely depending on how late I get up, since I'm not able to come back to get food till later)

Lunch:
Yogurt or greek yogurt
some granola in it, maybe a fruit like a banana or an apple
trying now to mix in a scoop of protein powder in with it, works well with the fage greek yogurt I got (9g carb, 23g protein a serving)
(may have a tuna fish sandwich once in a while with japanese mayo and 12 grain or wheat bread)
(may have something with eggs, scrambled, or in an egg salad)

supper:

some type of meat, either beef or chicken
may have eggs or bacon depending on my :effort: levels
I'll get some veggies in this time slot as well, don't really have the time or effort to prepare them before.

sometimes as snacks i'll have like raisins or those cliff bars or some fruits or something

this isn't all at once but varies per day.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Damn, you're skinny.

Can't help my metabolism, man. Always been skinny. Most I ever weighed was 165, but I'm in far better shape now than then (when I was on the Rippetoe program).

Gvaz said:

You can try my diet. I got strong pretty fast. If you're not eating at least around 3500 calories a day, then you won't make any gains, no matter how much protein you eat. Your strength may go up a bit, but then you'll hit a plateau.

I eat:

-One cup of oatmeal with a slice of bananas, flax seed, 1/4 pecans, and a scoop of whey protein
-after working out I take my shake which is one cup of milk, strawberries, one banana, slice up some avocados, two TBS of almond butter (or PB if you choose) , a cup of milk, and a scoop of whey protein
-lunch I eat a chicken breast
-mid afternoon I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal that has like 13g of protein per one cup serving. I usually use more. You can find it at Walmart for like $3.19.
-late afternoon I eat another chicken breast with kashi crackers and hummus.
-dinner is a toss up. it could be anything-before bed snack I eat ezikiel bread with almond butter and an apple

Sunday could be your cheat day, and try consuming like 6,000 calories on that day.

BTW, I'm going to stop using upper body for awhile and do squats, romaninan DLs, and calves. When it comes to calves, do you heavy weight with high or low reps? and how long of a break in between sets should I take to grow them?

MjFrancis

Calves can take a lot of punishment. Heavy weight with low reps then slightly-less heavy weight with high reps, why the hell not. There's a lot of talk of stretching the fascia around the calves to allow them room to grow, and I always make sure to stretch my calves before and after I work them to facilitate what little growth I can get out of them. I haven't really focused on calf hypertrophy but I'm sure you can find an intense program somewhere online to help them grow. I think there's an 8-Week Calf Blitzkrieg by Chad Waterbury out there on T-Nation.

parrotbeak said:
Ok, thanks. I'll just grind them up if you don't get around to it before I make them.
I asked my wife how long to cook the oats and she asked me why I wanted to know. Long story short she wasn't willing to tell, insisting that If I knew how to cook for myself that would be the first step towards making her obsolete. She's a pretty darn good cook, so I can't complain.

Gvaz

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
You can try my diet. I got strong pretty fast. If you're not eating at least around 3500 calories a day, then you won't make any gains, no matter how much protein you eat. Your strength may go up a bit, but then you'll hit a plateau.

I eat:

-One cup of oatmeal with a slice of bananas, flax seed, 1/4 pecans, and a scoop of whey protein
-after working out I take my shake which is one cup of milk, strawberries, one banana, slice up some avocados, two TBS of almond butter (or PB if you choose) , a cup of milk, and a scoop of whey protein
-lunch I eat a chicken breast
-mid afternoon I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal that has like 13g of protein per one cup serving. I usually use more. You can find it at Walmart for like $3.19.
-late afternoon I eat another chicken breast with kashi crackers and hummus.
-dinner is a toss up. it could be anything-before bed snack I eat ezikiel bread with almond butter and an apple

Sunday could be your cheat day, and try consuming like 6,000 calories on that day.

WTF? 3500 to 6000? I'm trying to lose 40lbs of fat :( I don't see how working out 3 days a week and eating that many calories will help...

ftr im like 5'8" and when I weighed myself the other day I was like 224 :(

ajim

Incline benched 120kg (264.5 lbs) today for 7 reps. Fucking ecstatic. Taking me so long to improve my incline over the last year, and I've seen the benefits in my overall chest development since making it my priority (first exercise) chest exercise.

MjFrancis

@Gvaz

He may have misread the intention of your original post.

Use eggs, lean poultry and lean beef, cottage cheese and lowfat Greek yogurt to fill in the gaps when you're eating too little. Too much of a caloric deficit will cut into strength gains, as you are no doubt describing when you say your feel like you're not making progress.

Gvaz

Banned
I've been meaning to get cottage cheese, though I hate the texture. I'm already doing the rest of the stuff for my main diet. Beef less so because I only really know how to stew beef but not much else

MrOogieBoogie said:
Thanks, guys. I've said it before and I'll say it again, going calisthenics-only is without doubt the best fitness-related decision I have ever made. It was only five months ago that I could barely do three pull-ups, and now I'm easily cranking out 12-15 in a row for multiple sets.

Shit I never thought I'd be able to do, like handstands or muscle-ups, come so easily to me now. I did renew my gym membership this past week because it's getting colder and darker here, so I can't workout in the park like I did over the summer, and I was surprised to see just how big I am compared to everyone else there, and this is without lifting a single weight in nearly half a year. Back, chest, and arms are all far more massive than they've ever been.

Greatest feeling ever.

Fantastic sir. I couldn't find your post but what is your current routine? Always interested in trying something new. I was thinking about getting the Gymnastic Bodies Book or Convict Conditioning as I heard good things about both.

As for me, I think I'm going to try the reverse pyramid training scheme. I do IF and might as well do the routine that Martin does as well. Throw in some assistance exercises at the end and be good to go. 2+ months of eating like crap and not going to the gym made me feel sluggish and slow. Looking at myself in the mirror really upset me this weekend. I have a problem of just not stopping when eating. I really can put the food away and you can tell haha.

balddemon

Banned
FallingEdge said:
Fantastic sir. I couldn't find your post but what is your current routine? Always interested in trying something new. I was thinking about getting the Gymnastic Bodies Book or Convict Conditioning as I heard good things about both.

As for me, I think I'm going to try the reverse pyramid training scheme. I do IF and might as well do the routine that Martin does as well. Throw in some assistance exercises at the end and be good to go. 2+ months of eating like crap and not going to the gym made me feel sluggish and slow. Looking at myself in the mirror really upset me this weekend. I have a problem of just not stopping when eating. I really can put the food away and you can tell haha.

i'm interested in your routine as well oogieboogie. body weight is something that has always piqued my interest, but i can't think of much to do besides pushups, box jumps, and pullups.

Mully

How do you guys feel about two a days? I am taking a weight training class in the morning, and I plan on going to my own gym sometime tonight.

balddemon

Banned
Mully said:
How do you guys feel about two a days? I am taking a weight training class in the morning, and I plan on going to my own gym sometime tonight.

i asked this question earlier, and some people answered that they don't think its necessary unless you're trying to compete in strongman competitions etc.

with that being said, i do 2-a-days every once in a while (couple times a month probably), and i do more cardio based circuit lifting type stuff and at night i do the heavier lifting.

Mully

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Seems like you're just going to wear your body out, not allowing it to rest and recover.

I plan on doing chest and shoulders in the morning and legs with 45 minutes of cardio tonight. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving. I'm on a 2100 calorie diet as well.

balddemon

Banned
Mully said:
I plan on doing chest and shoulders in the morning and legs with 45 minutes of cardio tonight. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving. I'm on a 2100 calorie diet as well.

I think you would lose the weight you want to lose pretty quick only eating 2100 calories. Based on your posts, you seem like a pretty active guy (I don't know how often you play soccer anymore or if you even can), so you should be fine.

Mully

balddemon said:
I think you would lose the weight you want to lose pretty quick only eating 2100 calories. Based on your posts, you seem like a pretty active guy (I don't know how often you play soccer anymore or if you even can), so you should be fine.
Playing soccer atleast 2x a week, but I've been really sick lately. I think I'm over compensating because of it these past few days.

MjFrancis

balddemon said:
i'm interested in your routine as well oogieboogie. body weight is something that has always piqued my interest, but i can't think of much to do besides pushups, box jumps, and pullups.
Post #5 in the OP has a few basics on bodyweight exercises. I mention Al Kavadlo's hierarchy of bodyweight exercises divided by difficulty... it's pretty accurate: Mastering Your Body Weight. There are tons of exercises you can do and many variations on each, and Al's site only has a sampling of them.

Like with free weights, it makes sense to focus on the bread-and-butter exercises and master those. I'd love to get a hold on handstand pushups, but the first step will be dumping the press and going for that instead. I'll never be able to do them if I don't try.

MjFrancis said:
I asked my wife how long to cook the oats and she asked me why I wanted to know. Long story short she wasn't willing to tell, insisting that If I knew how to cook for myself that would be the first step towards making her obsolete. She's a pretty darn good cook, so I can't complain.
Haha, that's funny. You should tell her it's not the specific details of a recipe; it's the love that goes into it that makes it special. Well, I forgot I had a party all day Saturday, which put gym and swimming on Sunday, so I never got around to making them. Maybe tonight.

BlueMagic

-Height: About 1.75 meters
-Weight: 61 kg
-Goal: To size up a little (especially arms), and get good tone in the rest of the body.
-Current Training Schedule: I'm trying to go to the gym from monday to friday, but I usually end up going 4 times. I alternate between 2 routines: The first one has me working triceps, chest (pectorals), and legs (quadriceps) with 2 different exercises each. The second one has me working biceps, the back and shoulders (also 2 different exercises each). I do 4 repetitions of 8 for each exercise.
-Current Training Equipment Available: Well, I go to a gym, so basically everything
-Comments: I basically want to know if I should be eating a lot, because some people seem to recommend eating as much as I can as long as it is not bad food, but some other people recommend eating not a lot so I get better tone. Also, any tip that you guys might have will be useful. What is the best time for exercising? Should I eat before going to the gym(fruits maybe?)? What about jogging (is it a good complement?). Should I rest immediatly after going to the gym?

balddemon

Banned
MjFrancis said:
Post #5 in the OP has a few basics on bodyweight exercises. I mention Al Kavadlo's hierarchy of bodyweight exercises divided by difficulty... it's pretty accurate: Mastering Your Body Weight. There are tons of exercises you can do and many variations on each, and Al's site only has a sampling of them.

Thanks for pointing that out, looks extremely helpful so far.

--

On another note, my spine is super crooked and my form on pullups seems janky.

ceramic

5 foot 9
Weight:145 lbs
Goal:Leaner physique, maybe gain a little weight

Just wondering how far you can go with bodyweight exercises alone? What sort of physique can you expect assuming you do get to the most advanced difficulty exercises? Does higher bodyweight = more resistance? I'm completely ignorant of this type of thing. I prefer bodyweight exercise to weights but would like a realistic idea of the limitations with making such a choice, with regards to my goals.As I understand it the body is capable of lifting far over its bodyweight, which obviously can't be done with bodyweight exercises, so that's one limitation.

X-Frame

Jason's Ultimatum said:
You won't achieve shit from doing bodyweight exercises. Stop being a sissy, get to a gym, and don't ever do machines. Those are for girls.

Don't listen to this guy, lol.

Bad Sterling.

Anyway, ceramic -- look at the post right above yours (specifically what was quoted).

Bealost

Gvaz said:
Is it a bad thing that my bmr is like 3100 or 3200 and I'm cutting to 2700 but frequently i rarely hit 2k?

I'm trying to get the amount of protein to about my body weight and work out 3 times a week but I don't feel like im making any progress. I try to eat more but idk what to eat? I'm not always hungry

Well I can tell you that that seems pretty darn high for a bmr. I'm 5'1'' and weighed over 260lbs when I started. My BMR was in the low 2k's. I was cutting at about 2000cal/day (I'd usually get slightly more in the 2200 range) and I lost an average of 1/4lb per day over the course of about 4 months, it has slowed down a ton now that I'm in the low 200lb range.

MjFrancis said:
I don't cook the oats but my wife bakes them for five minutes and doesn't ground them. So, it's basically a wash re: time. Either way, there's either minimal or no cooking involved, so it's the perfect single-guy food. I like to eat two or three squares post-workout.

The only additional item I would clarify is that I let it all set in a pan that you would bake cookies on. Is that just called a cookie sheet? It makes the bars thinner and easier to cut. They are sticky, gooey gobs of goodness, and thick bars are harder to separate.

For the new page:

Just made these. Right now, it is a huge gooey mess and going by your post, so far, so good. I will prolly eat one tonight or wait till tomorrow. Pretty excited haha.

RPT day 1 in the books. Pretty exhausted. Feels great to be back in the gym.

Mully

Yeah that's a definite no-go on me doing two a days today. Just tried running four miles on the treadmill at my gym. Five minutes in and I fell off the treadmill because I had a coughing fit because I'm so sick.

On the plus side, the gym sent me home with a voucher for a free body massage. The only masseuse there is a hot Russian and she always gives happy endings.

Great success.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mully said:
Yeah that's a definite no-go on me doing two a days today. Just tried running four miles on the treadmill at my gym. Five minutes in and I fell off the treadmill because I had a coughing fit because I'm so sick.

On the plus side, the gym sent me home with a voucher for a free body massage. The only masseuse there is a hot Russian and she always gives happy endings.

Great success.

wat?

Mully

Alienshogun said:

They just gave it to me after I fell off of it. I wasn't cut up or anything, just fell off and made some noise when I hit the ground. As I walked out of the locker room, the manager said they were sorry and gave me the coupon.

X-Frame

Mully said:
Retro Fitness in Farmingdale, NY.

Awesome gym. Everything is clean and in order. There are no screamers there, and there is always a squat rack open.

I'm an hour and a half away .. hmmm ..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mully said:
They just gave it to me after I fell off of it. I wasn't cut up or anything, just fell off and made some noise when I hit the ground. As I walked out of the locker room, the manager said they were sorry and gave me the coupon.

I'm more on about the hot russian giving happy endings.

I need one of them in my golds.

Mully said:
I don't think that's the part that surprised him.

I feel like this might be one of those cultural things, like she thinks that's normal and no one's corrected her. Have gotten tons of massages and never got a hint or anything of the possibility of more. I know guys who have gotten the happy ending massages, but usually those places aren't licensed and can't use the word "massage" in their ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom