• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombur

Coconut milk: 400ml tin costs £0.99
Almond butter: 170g jar costs £2.39
Spinach: 260g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Kale: 206g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 5 days
Frozen raspberries: 300g pack costs £1.39
Frozen strawberries: 500g pack costs £2.00
Frozen blueberries: 350g pack costs £2.00
Salmon: 200g pack of fresh smoked salmon slices costs £2.79, or 300g pack of frozen smoked salmon costs £3.50
Tilapia: 110g fillet costs £2.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Ground beef: 500g pack costs £3.50, has a warning that it goes off after 4 days
Scallops: 160g pack of raw scallops costs £3.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 200g pack of frozen scallops costs £6.50
Shrimp: 200g tin costs £1.08
Chicken thighs: 900-1110g pack costs £3.89, or 566g pack of mixed thighs/drumsticks costs £1.49
Canned tuna: 185g tin costs £0.66
Canned salmon: 212g tin of pink salmon costs £1.09
Butter: 250g pack costs £1.19
Eggs: box of 10 costs £1.19
Bacon: 220g pack costs £1.59
Bell peppers: mixed pack of 3 costs £1.65, or red, orange, green or yellow peppers cost £0.78 each
Carrots: 640g pack of sliced carrots costs £0.96, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 1.2kg pack of raw carrots costs £0.55
Ham: 400g pack of sliced ham costs £1.65, has a warning that it goes off after 8 days
Mushrooms: 250g pack of sliced mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 380g pack of closed cup mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 300g pack of large flat mushrooms costs £1.20, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days
Cheese: 250g pack of sliced cheddar costs £1.80, or 350g block of cheddar costs £1.99
Greek yogurt: 500g tub costs £1.00
Cottage cheese: 300g tub costs £0.60
Rice: 1kg pack of long grain rice costs £0.40
Potatoes: 850g pack of ready peeled potatoes costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 2.5kg pack of raw potatoes costs £0.67, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days

Loads of those you can get much cheaper in the UK, you need to get smart. You're understandably worrying a lot about things going off; if thats the case your meat should live in the freezer. Get it out the day before you intend to use it, by which time it will have defrosted. Meat of any kind should last month/s in the freezer. Potatoes last longer in the fridge, however if you have a garage stick them in there in a light-proof bag and they will last over a week easily. And buy the big bags not 850g lol

In terms of meat, get the special offers. You can get like 3x600g of Minced Beef from Morisons for around a tenner. Freeze two packs, use one on the day. http://www.morrisons.co.uk/ Look at the front page, gammon £3.49 per Kg!

I dont know why you chose smoked salmon either. Morrisons have fresh salmon on offer for around £7/kg every few months for a week. Buy a few KG's and freeze it.

You need to start buying in bulk to save massive amounts of money and USE YOUR FREEZER!

Danj

Loads of those you can get much cheaper in the UK, you need to get smart. You're understandably worrying a lot about things going off; if thats the case your meat should live in the freezer. Get it out the day before you intend to use it, by which time it will have defrosted. Meat of any kind should last month/s in the freezer. Potatoes last longer in the fridge, however if you have a garage stick them in there in a light-proof bag and they will last over a week easily. And buy the big bags not 850g lol

In terms of meat, get the special offers. You can get like 3x600g of Minced Beef from Morisons for around a tenner. Freeze two packs, use one on the day. http://www.morrisons.co.uk/ Look at the front page, gammon £3.49 per Kg!

I dont know why you chose smoked salmon either. Morrisons have fresh salmon on offer for around £7/kg every few months for a week. Buy a few KG's and freeze it.

You need to start buying in bulk to save massive amounts of money and USE YOUR FREEZER!

I don't have that much freezer space, at the moment I only have 2 drawers in a shared freezer, and I have to move house at the end of May so I have no idea what freezer space I'll have access to going forward. Also recall that I only have £50 available for food each month, if I bought 2 or 3 kgs of this salmon you speak of that would be 28-42% of that month's food budget. I have to be able to eat in the current month as well as future months!

EDIT: Also, there is not a Morrisons store within range of my bus pass.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't have that much freezer space, at the moment I only have 2 drawers in a shared freezer, and I have to move house at the end of May so I have no idea what freezer space I'll have access to going forward. Also recall that I only have £50 available for food each month, if I bought 2 or 3 kgs of this salmon you speak of that would be 28-42% of that month's food budget. I have to be able to eat in the current month as well as future months!
How do you survive right now off 50 pounds a month without knowing how to cook? :/

Like seriously, list your current diet.

Your two best bets in the UK are tuna (canned) and turkey (fresh). Both can be bought extremely cheaply and are about as good as it gets when it comes to getting pure protein into you.

You can get chicken cheaply, but the quality drops off REALLY quickly at lower prices. Turkey doesn't seem to suffer with that.

As for price, no-one beats Asda. Even if they do, you get 10% extra back on branded vs branded. A lot of their own brand stuff is iffy, but their turkey is quite good.

50 euros per month? That's not a lot at all, you probably can't even do the joke tuna diet I suggested with that. Here tuna is like 50 cents a can.

tombur

2 drawers is more than enough to store your meat, I am a student and I make do with one. Get rid of the ice cream thats been in there for 3 months and store essentials only. You need to do some maths and workout the best cost/nutrition for different types of food to fit in with your budget.

Danj

How do you survive right now off 50 pounds a month without knowing how to cook? :/

Like seriously, list your current diet.

My monthly food purchase usually consists of things like:

Microwave meals for Sunday lunches
Burgers
Oven fries
Baked beans
Fish fingers
Tinned spaghetti
Packets of flavoured noodles
Tins of Heinz Big Soup
Boxes of cornflakes
Loaves of bread
Tins of tuna
Maybe some cheese slices or sliced cooked meat if I can afford it

EDIT: Oh, I see where the confusion is. The £50 a month only accounts for weekday breakfasts, weekday dinners, weekend/day off meals, and any snacks while at home. Meals at work are from a separate budget item and I either get those from the canteen (hot meal including at least 2 types of veg), or if the canteen isn't available I usually pick up a £3 meal deal from Sainsburys or similar.

Danj

2 drawers is more than enough to store your meat, I am a student and I make do with one. Get rid of the ice cream thats been in there for 3 months and store essentials only. You need to do some maths and workout the best cost/nutrition for different types of food to fit in with your budget.

Strangely enough I don't buy ice cream, so your comment missed the mark. But ok, so out of the foodstuffs that have been suggested, which represent this optimal cost to nutrition ratio that you speak of?

Baked beans
Tins of Heinz Big Soup
Boxes of cornflakes
Tins of tuna

That's pretty much all I'd leave of your list. I can't really speak for your microwave meals, but I doubt they're particularly healthy. Cheese can be ok in small doses, but realistically you should be picking up the reduced fat stuff if you're picking it up at all.

Also, see my post above. Turkey. It's bland on its own, but you can use it in place of chicken in most recipes and there are a ton of spice rubs / sauces that you can cook very easily with it. (Rub in / pour over, throw in oven)

I do sympathise though. It's really easy to live on shit in the UK. Unhealthy food is so, so cheap here. I could live on £50 for a month, and my diet would consist of rice, pasta, bacon and some sauces. Maybe some chips here and there. Blech, I used to do that. =/

tombur

Strangely enough I don't buy ice cream, so your comment missed the mark. But ok, so out of the foodstuffs that have been suggested, which represent this optimal cost to nutrition ratio that you speak of?

Tesco is ok, Aldi Lidl are much better.If you can afford to regularly eat microwave meals and other fast food and sustain your current weight then you have enough money to eat healthy and lose weight.

Breakfast:

Porridge oats with some form of fruit

Lunch:

Two slices of wholegrain bread
Some cheap chicken or turkey or tuna (100g)
Cheap lettuce, grated carrots, other salad vegetables
Light covering of sauce/olive oil
Another fruit

Dinner:

Potatoes
Meat (150g ish)
Vegetables

If your used to eating in the canteen, get used to making a packed lunch the day before. Use the left over meat in your sandwiches for the next day. Plan your dinner meals around this if you want to save time/money.

ezrarh

I wouldn't even go with cornflakes. 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast would be better - maybe with a banana, some yogurt, and spinach. Fat from dairy isn't bad for you. Just want to avoid too many carbs from stuff like pasta, fries, and bread. I don't know what it is like in the UK but bread here in the US contains a lot of high fructose corn syrup, which you obviously want to stay away from. Like suggested earlier, a meal consisting of meat, veggies, and small serving of something like sweet potatoes or rice is what you would want and won't be too expensive. To be honest, unless you're able to get some assistance for food, it's really hard on 50 pounds a month.

Also, do you buy your lunch at work? It might be cheaper to just bring a lunch instead.

Danj

That's pretty much all I'd leave of your list. I can't really speak for your microwave meals, but I doubt they're particularly healthy. Cheese can be ok in small doses, but realistically you should be picking up the reduced fat stuff if you're picking it up at all.

Also, see my post above. Turkey. It's bland on its own, but you can use it in place of chicken in most recipes and there are a ton of spice rubs / sauces that you can cook very easily with it. (Rub in / pour over, throw in oven)

I do sympathise though. It's really easy to live on shit in the UK. Unhealthy food is so, so cheap here. I could live on £50 for a month, and my diet would consist of rice, pasta, bacon and some sauces. Maybe some chips here and there. Blech, I used to do that. =/

Uh, you included tuna but didn't include anything to put with it? Am I just supposed to eat it right out of the tin?

Danj

I wouldn't even go with cornflakes. 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast would be better - maybe with a banana, some yogurt, and spinach. Fat from dairy isn't bad for you. Just want to avoid too many carbs from stuff like pasta, fries, and bread. I don't know what it is like in the UK but bread here in the US contains a lot of high fructose corn syrup, which you obviously want to stay away from. Like suggested earlier, a meal consisting of meat, veggies, and small serving of something like sweet potatoes or rice is what you would want and won't be too expensive. To be honest, unless you're able to get some assistance for food, it's really hard on 50 pounds a month.

Also, do you buy your lunch at work? It might be cheaper to just bring a lunch instead.

On work days, yes I either buy my lunch at work or on the way to work. I guess if I got into the position of cooking stuff, I could use leftovers, but remember it has to be something that can be eaten cold if I'm going to bring it to work. One advantage of buying lunch at the canteen (when it's available) is that I can have hot lunches.

EDIT: also did you mean boiled eggs? I don't think I've had one of those for ages..

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
On work days, yes I either buy my lunch at work or on the way to work. I guess if I got into the position of cooking stuff, I could use leftovers, but remember it has to be something that can be eaten cold if I'm going to bring it to work. One advantage of buying lunch at the canteen (when it's available) is that I can have hot lunches.

EDIT: also did you mean boiled eggs? I don't think I've had one of those for ages..

How long is your commute? Do you not have a refrigerator/microwave at work?

Uh, you included tuna but didn't include anything to put with it? Am I just supposed to eat it right out of the tin?
If you like. Or you can mix it with some sweetcorn, or a salad, or any number of things. There are also about a million and one different tuna flavourings available in supermarkets, usually by the tuna.

I wouldn't even go with cornflakes. 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast would be better
Sure, but I left it mostly because it's isn't inherently unhealthy. Personally I'd replace it with rolled oats, but I love rolled oats. :)

Edit - @danj: Most people tend to eat their eggs in scramble or omelet form... though you could certainly eat them boiled or poached.

ezrarh

Whatever way you prefer. Remember it has to be something that you'll stick with. Consistency is the key although with your budget, you might have to deal with rather plain food for a while if you are intent on losing weight. Wraps are easy to make for lunch - whatever meat you have available, some lettuce and tomatoes, and maybe beans or cheese.

Also, funny enough, I just finished eating some tuna straight from the can - with some hotsauce and nothing else. Although I'm using it as a snack to get more protein instead as a meal replacement. I don't know if you're into sardines, but sardines from cans are another good way to get protein.

Sure, but I left it mostly because it's isn't inherently unhealthy. Personally I'd replace it with rolled oats, but I love rolled oats. :)

Possibly not but once again I'm speaking from a US point of view, they just tend to have lots of sugar in them.

Danj

How long is your commute? Do you not have a refrigerator/microwave at work?

40 minutes. We do have a fridge, but other than that I think there's just a kettle and a toaster.

Edit - @danj: Most people tend to eat their eggs in scramble or omelet form... though you could certainly eat them boiled or poached.

Whatever way you prefer. Remember it has to be something that you'll stick with. Consistency is the key although with your budget, you might have to deal with rather plain food for a while if you are intent on losing weight. Wraps are easy to make for lunch - whatever meat you have available, some lettuce and tomatoes, and maybe beans or cheese.

I quite like scrambled eggs (though again, it's not something I've had for ages).

If you like. Or you can mix it with some sweetcorn, or a salad, or any number of things. There are also about a million and one different tuna flavourings available in supermarkets, usually by the tuna.

Also, funny enough, I just finished eating some tuna straight from the can - with some hotsauce and nothing else. Although I'm using it as a snack to get more protein instead as a meal replacement. I don't know if you're into sardines, but sardines from cans are another good way to get protein.

Eat all the tuna from all the cans. It is good for you.

I like tuna, I just never considered eating it straight from the can before. Seems like kind of a weird idea.

Mr.City

I find this is more like a social work thread than a fitness thread now. What's unfortunate is there are a million other Danj's out there.

Danj

I find this is more like a social work thread than a fitness thread now. What's unfortunate is there are a million other Danj's out there.

Well, see, this is why I suggested there ought to be a different thread for people like me. But the rest of GAF said I should post in here, so, sorry for shitting up your thread :(

Mr.City

Well, see, this is why I suggested there ought to be a different thread for people like me. But the rest of GAF said I should post in here, so, sorry for shitting up your thread :(

Take your advice and community help like a Sir, you negative nancy.

entremet

I mean, way gave you tons of advice. You've got to put it into practice. You've ever heard of a term 'learned helplessness'?

Hey guys I want to loose weight again.

I used to do P90X, I was able to finish the workouts in the same time with less reps of course.

However Now I can't its been 2 years and this time I was to go all in and transform my body.

When I try to do it I just give up in 20 minutes. I need something to motivate me.

where is the best place of thing to start?

Danj

Tuna
Eggs
Veggies
Nuts
Milk
Oats
Protein shakes

You can make plenty of good meal plans just from this. Next to no time required. Brown rice and chicken can be prepared in advance, chilled, and eaten later.

My friend best friend is just like you. I tell him that you gotta make compromises and changes SOMEWHERE to get to a goal. There's no easy road.

Petrie

Banned
My monthly food purchase usually consists of things like:

Microwave meals for Sunday lunches
Burgers
Oven fries
Baked beans
Fish fingers
Tinned spaghetti
Packets of flavoured noodles
Tins of Heinz Big Soup
Boxes of cornflakes
Loaves of bread
Tins of tuna
Maybe some cheese slices or sliced cooked meat if I can afford it

EDIT: Oh, I see where the confusion is. The £50 a month only accounts for weekday breakfasts, weekday dinners, weekend/day off meals, and any snacks while at home. Meals at work are from a separate budget item and I either get those from the canteen (hot meal including at least 2 types of veg), or if the canteen isn't available I usually pick up a £3 meal deal from Sainsburys or similar.
Stop buying lunches. You would more than double your food budget by doing so. How this isnt obvious to you is beyond my comprehension. Anyone complaining about money the way you are shouldnt be eating out at all.

I work at a food distributor where I get tickets and I'm suppose to pick the items and stack it on a pallet(gets as tall as 7 ft). This job in itself is a work out so when I started a year and a half ago, I lost about 14 pounds(161 to 147, I'm 5'7 BTW). Everything was cool but then I got into a really really bad habit. I kept eating junk food over and over. I would eat the cafeteria food which would consist of burgers, pizza, fries, and so on. Then when I get off work I would go to fast food restaurants like Jack in the Box and McDonald's. Over the past year I've gained quite a bit of weight despite burning plenty of calories at my job because I would be eating junk food about 2, sometimes 3 times a day(3k+ calories at least).

Last week I checked the scale and I was 165, so I finally decided I had enough. I started my diet and exercise routine about 4 days ago. Instead of being lazy at work, I've picked up my pace which can be kind of taxing on my body since I work 9-10 hour days(4 days a week). My body feels pretty weak because I've cut my calories. I'm getting about 2,000 per day right now and I'm drinking a lot of water, but is there any advice you guys can give me. Should I still work out on my off days? Lift weights only or still jog. Am I getting enough calories? What kind of meals should I eat? Right now I'm eating cereal, protein bar, turkey sandwich, PB sandwich, eggs with brown rice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Stop buying lunches. You would more than double your food budget by doing so. How this isnt obvious to you is beyond my comprehension. Anyone complaining about money the way you are shouldnt be eating out at all.

I think he just doesn't want to cook anything so is purposely being dense about it. This is of course why it took so long for him to admit that his budget is bigger than he was letting on. Every thing I've seen out of him has been an excuse in this thread and in others when people try to help him in areas that he obviously does not want to change. He would rather jack off about how nothing can be done because he doesn't want to cook.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

I think he just doesn't want to cook anything so is purposely being dense about it. This is of course why it took so long for him to admit that his budget is bigger than he was letting on. Every thing I've seen out of him has been an excuse in this thread and in others when people try to help him in areas that he obviously does not want to change. He would rather jack off about how nothing can be done because he doesn't want to cook.

It sounded to me like his work provides his lunch at the canteen as a benefit, although he sometimes pays for a "£3 meal deal from Sainsburys or similar". The question is how often he does the latter.

Petrie

Banned
Yep. Im not gonna bother with him anymore.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It never ceases to amaze me how much water/waste weight the human body can carry. I've lost 8lbs in three days doing nothing.

Tomorrow I go to Thailand to train full-time Muay Thai for a month. It's going to be awesome.

Danj

It sounded to me like his work provides his lunch at the canteen as a benefit, although he sometimes pays for a "£3 meal deal from Sainsburys or similar". The question is how often he does the latter.

Wait wait wait. Stop buying lunches? So I'm supposed to go hungry at work now? And you're saying I don't want to cook, but I swear down that honestly I have never been taught how to use anything other than an oven and a microwave. So it's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't know how.

The problem is, because I've never done it before, there are going to be mistakes, and even if I expanded the food budget at the expense of the lunch budget, there is going to be money that goes straight down the drain because of that. What I am saying is that in my current financial situation, wasting ANY money is not an acceptable thing.

Polk

Just came in from a ride, according to Endomondo I burned close to 2000 calories, that can't be right can it?
Unless you race it's unlikely. Of course it all depends if the pace, terrain and lenght. In my experience it's somewhere near 500 kcal/10 miles at 7-8 mph.

Wait wait wait. Stop buying lunches? So I'm supposed to go hungry at work now? And you're saying I don't want to cook, but I swear down that honestly I have never been taught how to use anything other than an oven and a microwave. So it's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't know how.

The problem is, because I've never done it before, there are going to be mistakes, and even if I expanded the food budget at the expense of the lunch budget, there is going to be money that goes straight down the drain because of that. What I am saying is that in my current financial situation, wasting ANY money is not an acceptable thing.

No, you are supposed to bring food to work to eat, which you prepared at home. Which is cheaper than lunches which cost 3 pound a piece. Even if you ruin a meal. And seriously, there are so many meals which you cant ruin, and as a college student i can tell you that even slightly ruined meals are usually perfectly fine to eat. You really are making excuses again not to change anything or go outside your current comfort zone.

abuC

Unless you race it's unlikely. Of course it all depends if the pace, terrain and lenght. In my experience it's somewhere near 500 kcal/10 miles at 7-8 mph.

I did 21 miles at 12mph, and I weigh 245lbs, plus the bike doesn't really roll that well (Mountain bike with hybrid tires).

Endomondo says around 1700 calories, and another calculator says 1300, guess it's somewhere in between there.

Darren870

How about food vendors/markets? You can get peppers for much cheaper from a local market then tesco. You can get a lot of veggies much cheaper in fact...

I hope you have a tesco club card also....

As for the cooking, your not going to just waste food if you over cook it. No one taught me to cook either man, its not like you competing for master chef. You put it all in a pan and mix it together. Seriously a healthy chili is nothing more then:

Beans
Cooked Lean Meat (turkey/beef)
Tomatoes
Peppers
Onions
Spices

I make a pot every other week and its also my lunch for 2-3 days. Its got lots of protein, no added sugar or preservatives and overall healthy for you. Plus its cheap....

What exactly are you cooking and what do you think will go wrong? The food isn't going to blow up. Just because you won't cook it perfectly doesn't mean it won't be edible.

Danj

What exactly are you cooking and what do you think will go wrong? The food isn't going to blow up. Just because you won't cook it perfectly doesn't mean it won't be edible.

Well, okay then. How about this: the next time I get paid is 27th April. I'm assuming that because of the short shelf life of most of the foods mentioned, I'll have to switch from a monthly food purchase to a weekly one. Is it possible that anyone can recommend me a set of food items that I should buy during that first week, and what meals I should make with them?

The 28th and 29th are weekend days, so I'll likely be having all 3 meals at home. The 30th April to the 4th May are all work days, so I'll be having breakfast at home and with the exception of the 2nd May I'll be having dinner at home as well, but I will need things that can be taken to work for lunch. On the 2nd I have a club meeting in the evening, so in addition to my work lunch I'll also need something I can take along to that.

That way, I can try this method for a week, and if it all goes horribly wrong I can still fall back to the previous arrangement.

tombur

Tesco is ok, Aldi Lidl are much better.If you can afford to regularly eat microwave meals and other fast food and sustain your current weight then you have enough money to eat healthy and lose weight.

Breakfast:

Porridge oats with some form of fruit

Lunch:

Two slices of wholegrain bread
Some cheap chicken or turkey or tuna (100g)
Cheap lettuce, grated carrots, other salad vegetables
Light covering of sauce/olive oil
Another fruit

Dinner:

Potatoes
Meat (150g ish)
Vegetables

If your used to eating in the canteen, get used to making a packed lunch the day before. Use the left over meat in your sandwiches for the next day. Plan your dinner meals around this if you want to save time/money.

We've done enough for now, you need to go find the cheapest way of buying the above foods on tesco.com and come back to us with what you found.

Danj

We've done enough for now, you need to go find the cheapest way of buying the above foods on tesco.com and come back to us with what you found.

Oh, okay. But obviously I won't be buying those on tesco.com as it's not economical to make delivery orders that are less than about £40, so I'll be going to a Tesco store to buy it.

I noticed you just said "meat" for dinner but didn't say what sort of meat, is it possible that you can elaborate?

tombur

Oh, okay. But obviously I won't be buying those on tesco.com as it's not economical to make delivery orders that are less than about £40, so I'll be going to a Tesco store to buy it.

I noticed you just said "meat" for dinner but didn't say what sort of meat, is it possible that you can elaborate?

Whats is your favourite type of meat?

Danj, you don't need such a big list of food. So you can ignore most of that since money is an issue. Especially for the first 3 months which are most important. I was a student in a part time job when I first started training and started on the basics. Now 5 years later I can see where I made a lot of early mistakes.

Stick to chicken thighs (not breasts, too expensive), tinned tuna, sweet potatoes, brown rice, greens, broccoli, a lot of water, and a tonne of eggs, brown bread. If you have a morrisons near you you can get minced turkey for £2 for 500kg. It's lean as fuck. But the first mistake I did when I was a big lad was getting too complex over how to lose weight.

Secodonly about gyms just google for bodybuilding gyms if you want to keep the price down. I pay £20 a month for mine and I'm not too far from you, so I'm sure you can find one as cheap (I just found one for £30 near you).

You'll probably hear info on here and else where about what plan to use to drop weight and I'll leave that for now as I disagree with them all about their methods. But get the food sorted first and go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom