• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
1. what is your diet like.
2. theres a gym franchise called The gym group in the UK - they charge £15 a month with no contract and they're open 24 hours a day. they're popping up all around the uk so there might be one around near you.
3. nobody really cares about your scarred legs except you. get over it i mean seriously.

I'm fat, and I need to try and lose some weight. The main problem is I have no idea how to get started or even how to motivate myself to get started or to continue once I get started. I don't have any friends or siblings who could help with that (I'm an only child, and most of the people I know have moved or are in the process of moving away from here).
Thats why you post in this topic a lot. I have one roommate who also works out, and thats it. Reading about other people doing shit makes me realise i, too, need to do shit or else i'll be lazy. And nobody likes a lazy dude.

Also, nobody cares about what you do in the gym or how you look. I look so, so dumb when deadlifting or squatting, or when im flapping around hanging from the pullup bar. So what? Everyone there is just a stranger. Although to be fair, i needed some time to adjust my mindset to it. As a skinny dude, the first few weeks at the gym felt a bit uncomfortable around all the swole bro's and i avoided the free weights. But after i got used to the gym i was able to say fuck it and just do my sets.

The most important thing though is dedication. It doesnt matter that you are overweight and unable to lift 400 pounds. The most important thing is that you keep going and not make excuses not to go. I've never ever regret going to the gym, but i have regretted not going all the time.

Your financial situation makes things more difficult, thats true. If you really cant afford a gym, there are a lot of bodyweight exercises you can do which can still help. And if you got a playground in the neighbourhood that too can be effectively used to exercise. Although i guess that might require you to get some more confidence to be able to just not care about people and what they think of you.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
trilobyte- If you're really struggling with Plyo X there's no need to stick with it over doing something else....Plyo X is pretty brutal. Doing something that's too difficult right now might just end up being discouraging in the long run. Anything you can stick with that gets your heart rate up will be sufficient cardio, especially when you've still got a lot of fat to lose. I wouldn't ignore weight training too.

I do struggle with some of the exercises. Mostly the ones that require me to support or lift my full body weight. Yoga is almost impossible for me right now.
Unfortunately Yoga is pretty much equal between the two. I'd argue maybe a little more on lean when you take into account Cardio X.

Maybe consider Power 90 before doing P90X? P90X is pretty hardcore at times, might need to work into it.

Danj

1. what is your diet like.

I know my diet sucks, but I don't know how I can change it given that I can't afford to buy healthy foods that I can actually cook. Unless I'm expected to become a vegetarian or something?

2. theres a gym franchise called The gym group in the UK in which they charge £15 a month with no contract and they're open 24 hours a day. they're popping up all around the uk so there might be one around near you.

Unfortunately Cambridge is not in either the "Opening Soon" or "Coming Soon" lists on their website. £15 a month seems like a good price though.

3. nobody gives a shit about your scarred legs. get over it i mean seriously.

Really. Then please have a look at these two pictures (left leg, right leg) and then tell me that I can go into a gym or swimming pool without someone saying "Hey, you can't go in there like that!" or being banned for health and safety reasons or something.

Really. Then please have a look at these two pictures (left leg, right leg) and then tell me that I can go into a gym or swimming pool without someone saying "Hey, you can't go in there like that!" or being banned for health and safety reasons or something.
Maybe consider wet suit style leg coverage? Would be a shame to give up on swimming completely.

Sadly that obviously means spending some money, which would obviously be difficult for you right now.

trilobyte

trilobyte- If you're really struggling with Plyo X there's no need to stick with it over doing something else....Plyo X is pretty brutal. Doing something that's too difficult right now might just end up being discouraging in the long run. Anything you can stick with that gets your heart rate up will be sufficient cardio, especially when you've still got a lot of fat to lose. I wouldn't ignore weight training too.

Unfortunately Yoga is pretty much equal between the two. I'd argue maybe a little more on lean when you take into account Cardio X.

Maybe consider Power 90 before doing P90X? P90X is pretty hardcore at times, might need to work into it.

The lean schedule doesn't do Plyo. I actually tried it and failed miserably. Today is my Kenpo day. I've been able to do everything but the Yoga. Putting all my body weight on a my arms (vinyasa) is horribly tough. I basically gave up and did a walk that day. Legs and back yesterday went really well though and I felt super energized.

I'm really glad this thread exists and you guys are around to help folks out!

Xun

• Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Weight: 115kg
  • Goal: weight/fat loss
  • Current Training Schedule: n/a
  • Current Training Equipment Available: n/a
  • Comments:

I have to admit I am extremely intimidated by this thread. I read the OP, and I honestly think there ought to be a separate thread for regular folks that just want to lose weight, without all this hardcore bodybuilding terminology that's in here. But, the rest of GAF tells me I need to stop being a lazy-ass and get in here because it's the best place to get advice, even for beginners.

I'm fat, and I need to try and lose some weight. The main problem is I have no idea how to get started or even how to motivate myself to get started or to continue once I get started. I don't have any friends or siblings who could help with that (I'm an only child, and most of the people I know have moved or are in the process of moving away from here).

Other problems include the following:

• I just recently took out a large debt consolidation loan. While this means that I no longer have a credit card or any credit card debt and will be debt free after 7 years, at the moment it means I have little or no spare income each month.
  • I can't afford to join a gym. Other members of GAF have claimed that it's possible to join a gym for $10/month, but I'm in the UK and things are vastly more expensive here. To give an example, the main gym that I am aware of in my area is LA fitness Cambridge and apparently 6 weeks' worth of membership there costs an eye-watering £99.
    [*]I don't know whether walking or running is likely to be involved (if it is, at the moment I could probably only manage to actually run for a few minutes before having to slow down) but I've heard that running on asphalt pavements can be bad for your bones and joints unless you have super expensive running shoes (which I don't).
  • I can operate a microwave, and I can also cook things in an oven provided no operation more complex than turning things over half-way through is required, but beyond that I have no cooking skill at all other than making sandwiches, toast, or pouring milk on cereal. Also, in my monthly budgets I only have £50 to purchase food for a month's worth of weekday breakfasts, weekday evening meals and all meals on weekends or days off. This means that I cannot afford to purchase any food type which might be wasted due to my inability to cook it or the fact that it goes off if I don't eat lots of it regularly very quickly. Some months I have less than £50 available for actual food due to needing to spend some of it on other essentials (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, toilet paper, kitchen roll etcetera).
  • I had a skin infection on my legs about 11 years ago, and while I have had an operation to correct circulatory problems in my legs which has improved things a little bit, my legs are still very scarred, which does not seem like it is something the NHS are prepared to help me with. Consequently I can't wear shorts or swimming trunks (which is a shame; back when I was in school, which will be about 20 years ago now, I used to really enjoy swimming).
Like I said in the Dating thread:

Perhaps look at this Danj?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'd suggest not running for 20 minutes just yet, but what I would suggest is to walk for 5 mins to warm up, run for 5 mins and then walk again for a bit. It'll slowly get you into it.

Do this every other day at first, and then slowly build it up.

Also remember to drink plenty of water.
This in conjunction with a better diet will help.

Sometimes the gym isn't for everybody, but what I've said is free to do.

The lean schedule doesn't do Plyo. I actually tried it and failed miserably. Today is my Kenpo day. I've been able to do everything but the Yoga. Putting all my body weight on a my arms (vinyasa) is horribly tough. I basically gave up and did a walk that day. Legs and back yesterday went really well though and I felt super energized.

I'm really glad this thread exists and you guys are around to help folks out!
For what it's worth, my missus doesn't do the vinyasas or the push up between upward and downward dog. You could also use cobra instead of upward dog if you're struggling too much with it. A lot of P90X is about substitution if you're not quite there, and that's fine. Like the man says, "try your best..."

You'll get better over time. Yoga was a complete cluster fuck for me the first few weeks. Obviously you've given Plyo a go and you're right to give it a miss this time around if you're unable to complete it.

Edit - Oh, and I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a P90X thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459109

trilobyte

For what it's worth, my missus doesn't do the vinyasas or the push up between upward and downward dog. You could also use cobra instead of upward dog if you're struggling too much with it.

A lot of P90X is about substitution if you're not quite there, and that's fine. Like the man says, "try your best..."

You'll get better over time. Yoga was a complete cluster fuck for me the first few weeks.

Thanks for that :) Yeah, it's hard for me. I end up cutting so much out that I really didn't feel I got any work out. I'll give it a try again though and see.

Mr.City

I know my diet sucks, but I don't know how I can change it given that I can't afford to buy healthy foods that I can actually cook. Unless I'm expected to become a vegetarian or something?

Unfortunately Cambridge is not in either the "Opening Soon" or "Coming Soon" lists on their website. £15 a month seems like a good price though.

Okay, Danny boy, it's time for adulthood 101. That means learning to cook, learning not to let others define you, and not giving up the fight before it's even begun. Scar tissue, as far as I know, doesn't carry diseases. The internet has lots of stuff about cooking, or better yet, go to a thrift store or your local library pick up a copy of The Joy of Cooking or Better Homes and Gardens cook book.

I'm pretty sure public parks don't cost money, neither does going outside.

What's current eating routine like? What does your everyday routine look like?

Danj

Maybe consider wet suit style leg coverage? Would be a shame to give up on swimming completely.

Sadly that obviously means spending some money, which would obviously be difficult for you right now.

What are those called? I tried to search for it, but can only seem to find complete wetsuits... I'm sure there's a proper name for those, though I seem to recall the last time I looked at that I could only find ones that were designed for athletes that wouldn't fit me.

What are those called? I tried to search for it, but can only seem to find complete wetsuits... I'm sure there's a proper name for those, though I seem to recall the last time I looked at that I could only find ones that were designed for athletes that wouldn't fit me.
I'm not sure sorry, it's been years since I saw them so it may be that they were a temporary fashion.

Polk

Go here. There are many good recipes you can prepare.

As for being broke, maybe go buy some dumbbells. There are plenty of exercises you can do with them. Using C25K isn't bad alternative to start (you can up the program level every two week if you think you won't able to keep up).

Danj

Okay, Danny boy, it's time for adulthood 101. That means learning to cook, learning not to let others define you, and not giving up the fight before it's even begun. Scar tissue, as far as I know, doesn't carry diseases. The internet has lots of stuff about cooking, or better yet, go to a thrift store or your local library pick up a copy of The Joy of Cooking or Better Homes and Gardens cook book.

It's not the red scar tissue I am worried about (though that is very easily damaged if I accidentally bump my leg into something like the leg of a table or the corner of a filing cabinet or whatever), it's the scabbed-over parts. Most of those either bleed or leak transparent-ish liquid if removed.

I'm pretty sure public parks don't cost money, neither does going outside.

This is true, but more specific instruction would be useful.

What's current eating routine like? What does your everyday routine look like?

On a weekday I have a bowl of cornflakes with milk in the morning, a hot meal including at least 2 types of veg at the canteen (if it's open) or a sandwich (if it's not) for lunch at work, and things such as Heinz chunky soup, noodles, burger/baked beans/fries, or fish fingers/tinned spaghetti/fries for dinner. On weekends it's the same except that I would have a different thing from the dinner list for lunch. I also sometimes have sandwiches as snacks at home, e.g. cheese and pickle, sliced processed chicken and pickle, tuna and mayonnaise, or just toast if I haven't got any sandwich materials left. I don't often eat takeaway food, maybe once a month or less - when I do, it is usually either pizza or chinese food.

Danj

Go here. There are many good recipes you can prepare.

I went to look at that site and clicked on some appetising sounding recipes. The problem that I have is that there are instructions like "Grill just until done; don't overcook" and "sauté the peppers and onions in oil until desired tenderness". Even oven cooking causes problems for me when the numbers given on the food package are wrong and have to be fudged to come out right, so I don't see how I could successfully cook anything with such imprecise non numerical timings.

As for being broke, maybe go buy some dumbbells. There are plenty of exercises you can do with them. Using C25K isn't bad alternative to start (you can up the program level every two week if you think you won't able to keep up).

Something like this for example? (I have no idea whether those are any good, they're just the top result on Google and didn't look that expensive).

I went to look at that site and clicked on some appetising sounding recipes. The problem that I have is that there are instructions like "Grill just until done; don't overcook" and "sauté the peppers and onions in oil until desired tenderness". Even oven cooking causes problems for me when the numbers given on the food package are wrong and have to be fudged to come out right, so I don't see how I could successfully cook anything with such imprecise non numerical timings.
Cooking the chicken until its not pink anymore is too imprecise?

Darren870

• Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Weight: 115kg
  • Goal: weight/fat loss
  • Current Training Schedule: n/a
  • Current Training Equipment Available: n/a
  • Comments:

I have to admit I am extremely intimidated by this thread. I read the OP, and I honestly think there ought to be a separate thread for regular folks that just want to lose weight, without all this hardcore bodybuilding terminology that's in here. But, the rest of GAF tells me I need to stop being a lazy-ass and get in here because it's the best place to get advice, even for beginners.

Other problems include the following:

• I just recently took out a large debt consolidation loan. While this means that I no longer have a credit card or any credit card debt and will be debt free after 7 years, at the moment it means I have little or no spare income each month.
  • I can't afford to join a gym. Other members of GAF have claimed that it's possible to join a gym for $10/month, but I'm in the UK and things are vastly more expensive here. To give an example, the main gym that I am aware of in my area is LA fitness Cambridge and apparently 6 weeks' worth of membership there costs an eye-watering £99.
  • I don't know whether walking or running is likely to be involved (if it is, at the moment I could probably only manage to actually run for a few minutes before having to slow down) but I've heard that running on asphalt pavements can be bad for your bones and joints unless you have super expensive running shoes (which I don't).
  • I can operate a microwave, and I can also cook things in an oven provided no operation more complex than turning things over half-way through is required, but beyond that I have no cooking skill at all other than making sandwiches, toast, or pouring milk on cereal. Also, in my monthly budgets I only have £50 to purchase food for a month's worth of weekday breakfasts, weekday evening meals and all meals on weekends or days off. This means that I cannot afford to purchase any food type which might be wasted due to my inability to cook it or the fact that it goes off if I don't eat lots of it regularly very quickly. Some months I have less than £50 available for actual food due to needing to spend some of it on other essentials (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, toilet paper, kitchen roll etcetera).
  • I had a skin infection on my legs about 11 years ago, and while I have had an operation to correct circulatory problems in my legs which has improved things a little bit, my legs are still very scarred, which does not seem like it is something the NHS are prepared to help me with. Consequently I can't wear shorts or swimming trunks (which is a shame; back when I was in school, which will be about 20 years ago now, I used to really enjoy swimming).

Why dont you learn how to cook? You can make healthy chilli that could last for 4-5 meals for as little as £5. What do you normally eat...it can't just be cereal, sandwiches and toast....

Why can't you wear shorts? Is it self conscious thing?

Why dont you learn how to cook?
Yup. That can change your life as much as the exercise.

It's hard at the start, but as with everything it just takes practice. You don't need to be a chef whipping up magical new recipes out of the ether, just be able to follow instructions and not worry too much if it doesn't turn out perfectly.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Unless you're highly autistic, you can learn to cook without precise numerical timings. How do you think all those other billions of people do it--magic?

Something like this for example? (I have no idea whether those are any good, they're just the top result on Google and didn't look that expensive).
Those look good, you could get a lot of work done with those.

Danj

Why dont you learn how to cook? You can make healthy chilli that could last for 4-5 meals for as little as £5. What do you normally eat...it can't just be cereal, sandwiches and toast....

On a weekday I have a bowl of cornflakes with milk in the morning, a hot meal including at least 2 types of veg at the canteen (if it's open) or a sandwich (if it's not) for lunch at work, and things such as Heinz chunky soup, noodles, burger/baked beans/fries, or fish fingers/tinned spaghetti/fries for dinner. On weekends it's the same except that I would have a different thing from the dinner list for lunch. I also sometimes have sandwiches as snacks at home, e.g. cheese and pickle, sliced processed chicken and pickle, tuna and mayonnaise, or just toast if I haven't got any sandwich materials left. I don't often eat takeaway food, maybe once a month or less - when I do, it is usually either pizza or chinese food.

Why can't you wear shorts? Is it self conscious thing?

See pictures posted earlier in the thread.

Polk

I'm afraid no one will give you perfect timing because there are many variables affecting that.
You can search for video recipes on youtube so you will see how food should look when it's ready. Sure, sometimes not everything will go well, but you need to learn how to cook. You can't live on takeouts forever.

Sure, they looks good. You can put heavier discs down the road.

Danj

Unless you're highly autistic, you can learn to cook without precise numerical timings. How do you think all those other billions of people do it--magic?

I have many of the same symptoms as people who have Aspergers Syndrome, but according to the Cambridge Lifespan Asperger Syndrome Service, not enough of them to qualify as actually having Aspergers Syndrome, which if I had it I could get support with this kind of thing.

Those look good, you could get a lot of work done with those.

Okay, that's a start, I guess I'll put those on my birthday list then.

Danj

I'm afraid no one will give you perfect timing because there are many variables affecting that.
You can search for video recipes on youtube so you will see how food should look when it's ready. Sure, sometimes not everything will go well, but you need to learn how to cook. You can't live on takeouts forever.

I'm not quite that bad - I did mention I eat things like soups and noodles and stuff, right? I also mentioned I only usually have takeout once a month at the most.

As far as the recipes go, even some number would be better than none. Even just a ballpark figure. But lots of them don't even have that. And it doesn't say what setting to put the oven or cooker or whatever on, either.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
As far as the recipes go, even some number would be better than none. Even just a ballpark figure. But lots of them don't even have that. And it doesn't say what setting to put the oven or cooker or whatever on, either.

Is it impossible to experiment and find out for yourself? There are different levels of "doneness" that different people like for different things. If it's something potentially dangerous is you don't cook it enough, like meat, look up resources online for what different levels of "doneness" look like, and what's safe. You could also buy a thermometer.

Most recipes will give a ballpark for time and temperature. If you can't survive without that ballpark then skip the recipes that don't. It's that easy.

Mr.City

It's not the red scar tissue I am worried about (though that is very easily damaged if I accidentally bump my leg into something like the leg of a table or the corner of a filing cabinet or whatever), it's the scabbed-over parts. Most of those either bleed or leak transparent-ish liquid if removed.

This is true, but more specific instruction would be useful.

How were you raised as a child in which you're only able to microwave and assemble food? You're 33 years old! If money is an issue, clip some coupons, find some deals, survive. It seems odd in this advanced year and time that not having a lot of money is an issue wanting to lose weight, but that's the way it goes.

You want something more specific?
http://hundredpushups.com/
http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
http://www.twentyfivepullups.com/

If you can't run well or fast, do some speed walking. Use progressively longer increments of time or distance. If you're used to eating sandwiches and not going outside, this is going to be hard, but it will get better. Being accountable for yourself is the first steps toward becoming an adult.

Okay, starting today, I will embark on an 10-11 week trial to see how lean and cut I can be. I know I'm not fat but I feel like it. Plus, this will be a challenge to see how far I can go.

Let's do this.

IMG_20120407_110840_12345.jpg
IMG_20120407_110920_12345.jpg

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 180
Goal: Cut some fat, build some strength and size.

Current Training Schedule: 3 day split (just to give you an idea of my current routine)
Day 1: Chest/Triceps (Ab work after my lifts)
-BB/DB Flat Bench
-BB/DB Incline Bench
-Cable Crossovers/DB Fly's/Plate Loaded Wide Chest Press Machine
-Dips
-Skull Crushers/Cable Pulldowns, etc.
Day 2: Back/Biceps
-Pendlay Rows
-Lat Pulldowns
-Close Grip Pull-ups/DB Rows/Cable Rows
-Shrugs
-Barbell Curls, DB Curls, Hammer Curls, Preacher Curls, etc, (I usually do 2 or 3)
Day 3: Legs/Shoulders (Ab work after lifts)
-Deadlifts
-Squats
-Seated/Standing Calf Press
-Seated/Standing BB/DB Shoulder Press
-Shoulder Raises

Current Training Equipment Available: Probably almost everything you could think of

Comments: Been lifting for close to a year I suppose, used to weight 300lbs, I do a good bit of cardio (either HIIT or put the treadmill on a steep incline and do a long walk) I like to hike and stuff as well. I wanna be able to take my shirt off at the beach and feel good in my body dammit! I'm in pretty good shape in my opinion, but I'm not happy with my physique. I was slipping on my diet for a while (was binge eating and stuff) which was okay since I was trying to bulk a bit, but I have it back under control. Any help would be appreciated and if there's anything else you want to know just ask. Oh and supplement wise all I take is ON Gold Standard Whey, I did just order some Con-Cret though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I haven't been eating unhealthy since like high school so I don't know how much it would cost me, but I'm pretty sure what I'm eating costs much less than unhealthy food. Healthy doesn't mean organic.

I drink only water.

A regular day's for me would be something like: big bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins for breakfast. Some beef and broccoli or salmon and a salad or sausage and potatos for lunch (or any equivalent), two chicken thighs and oven baked sweet potato with onions and thyme and an avocado for dinner. Some fruit snack during the day like slices of pineapple or a pear or something. No juice or coffee or coke.

That gives an idea of what my diet is like. Chips, chocolate (except 100% unsweetened chocolate, which is awesome grated over honey-dew melon with cinnamon), juice, soft drinks, etc. don't exist for me, and I have no cravings for them since high school.

There are other things I don't eat, like pasta, dairy, bread, and rice, unless I'm going out to eat with other people in which case anything is fine. But that's not for health reasons, so I would eat those daily if I could.

So yeah it shouldn't be expensive to eat healthy really. I get like four chicken thighs for 2.75$.

I would recommend changing your diet first before hitting the gym. Get used to eating healthy first. I see a lot of big guys going to the gym and not seeing much difference month after month because it leads them to cheat themselves thinking they can still eat unhealthy since now they go to the gym, "it can't be as bad as when I didn't go at all".

Oh and btw I never learned about "home economics", whatever that is, or how to cook. My mother is a great cook, I'm terrible, but I still eat healthy anyway just out of habit:p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
3 avocados for 4.25$ here:( They used to be 70c each.

But whatever the case, food in general is expensive, but healthy food (as in unprepared food) doesn't seem more expensive to me.

Danj

Not an excuse. Go to a library and borrow a cooking book if necessary. Or just check on the internet.

I didn't say it was an excuse; you asked how it was that I had never learned to cook, and I gave you a straight answer. And the problem is not the availability of cooking recipes, it's the fact that I cannot afford to purchase ingredients that will be wasted due to my inability to cook them. Everything I buy I must 100% be able to cook or it's not worth spending the money on it, my budget is tight enough as it is.

SeigO

Banned
1. Please read the OP

3. Please list your diet and your current lifts and the "bunch of work on top of that"

3000 is a good amount for a 175 lb male looking to grow, and I find that a lot of younger guys like to drink that Weight Gainer/Serious Mass crap, do a bunch of cardio for da cuts, and end up stalling out. 4000 will make you grow, however you might not like all the results.
1. Already read it.

3. My diets pretty typical it's just a ton of meat, chicken, eggs, milk, peanuts, cereal, peanut butter toast and protein shakes. I only drink one protein shake a day it's about 600 calories and I'm also taking creatine.

I've failed to gain any significant weight when my goal was 3-3.2k calories. I gained about 1.5 lb's during the last month when I was eating that much and my gains were pretty small.

I cut out all unnecessary cardio besides playing basketball. And I bench/squat twice a week, I do deadlifts/rows once a week, I do pull ups every gym day and I added back/shoulders exercises onto my deadlift days and various dumbbell exercises+ chest/arms workout machines onto my bench/squat day.

I didn't say it was an excuse; you asked how it was that I had never learned to cook, and I gave you a straight answer. And the problem is not the availability of cooking recipes, it's the fact that I cannot afford to purchase ingredients that will be wasted due to my inability to cook them. Everything I buy I must 100% be able to cook or it's not worth spending the money on it, my budget is tight enough as it is.

Go buy a few crates of canned tuna, you just squeeze the water out. Eat it with some crackers and you have a meal. Cheap and you get tons of protein with. I garbage.

Eat 5 cans 3 times a day. You can cook that right?

entremet

I'm not familar with UK food prices, but how much are these staples? You can build tons of meals and snacks on these:

- Full fat coconut milk
- Almond butter
- Spinach and/or Kale (sauteed or in smoothies)
- Frozen Raspberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Frozen Strawberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Frozen Blueberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Salmon or other fish like Talapia
- Ground beef (3-4 staple recipes for this works really well)
- Scallops/Shrimp
- Chicken thighs. Cheaper than breast in the US at least.
- Canned Tuna/Salmon
- Butter
- Eggs
- Bacon
- Salad ingredients - Bell Peppers, Carrots, etc.
- Omelette ingredients - Ham, Cheese, Mushrooms
- Greek Yogurt
- Cottage Cheese
- Whey protein
- Rice
- Potatoes

tombur

Hunk of meat -- Put under grill or bake in a oven tray until cooked (grill usually 15/20 mins, bake depends on size of meat)
Sweet/Potatoes -- Sauce pan of boiling water until soft
Vegetables (carrots, broccoli etc) -- Sauce pan of boiling water until desired firmness

I know cooking sounds daunting at first but the making the above really is a peice of piss.

Danj

Go buy a few crates of canned tuna, you just squeeze the water out. Eat it with some crackers and you have a meal. Cheap and you get tons of protein with. I garbage.

Eat 5 cans 3 times a day. You can cook that right?

Yes, I quite like tuna in sandwiches, never thought about trying it with crackers though. Not sure I understand your numbers, what size cans are you talking about? The really small 60g ones?

I'm not familar with UK food prices, but how much are these staples? You can build tons of meals and snacks on these:

- Full fat coconut milk
- Almond butter
- Spinach and/or Kale (sauteed or in smoothies)
- Frozen Raspberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Frozen Strawberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Frozen Blueberries (for smoothies or a quick snack)
- Salmon or other fish like Talapia
- Ground beef (3-4 staple recipes for this works really well)
- Scallops/Shrimp
- Chicken thighs. Cheaper than breast in the US at least.
- Canned Tuna/Salmon
- Butter
- Eggs
- Bacon
- Salad ingredients - Bell Peppers, Carrots, etc.
- Omelette ingredients - Ham, Cheese, Mushrooms
- Greek Yogurt
- Cottage Cheese
- Whey protein
- Rice
- Potatoes

I was compiling a list of these prices but something went wrong and GAF ate it. Will get back to you once I've recompiled it again.

Mr.City

Can you read? Read a recipe. Things like chicken breast are still edible if burnt a little. Grilled vegetables are easy to do. Where does your sticking point lay with cooking? Recipes usually give you a set temperate and estimated cooking time.

Danj

Can you read? Read a recipe. Things like chicken breast are still edible if burnt a little. Grilled vegetables are easy to do. Where does your sticking point lay with cooking? Recipes usually give you a set temperate and estimated cooking time.

Well, the ones that were linked earlier in this thread had neither of those pieces of information. I would certainly be happier to try it if that info was included.

Mr.City

Well, the ones that were linked earlier in this thread had neither of those pieces of information. I would certainly be happier to try it if that info was included.

Some do; some don't. I still recommend checking a few cookbooks from your local library.

Danj

Coconut milk: 400ml tin costs £0.99
Almond butter: 170g jar costs £2.39
Spinach: 260g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Kale: 206g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 5 days
Frozen raspberries: 300g pack costs £1.39
Frozen strawberries: 500g pack costs £2.00
Frozen blueberries: 350g pack costs £2.00
Salmon: 200g pack of fresh smoked salmon slices costs £2.79, or 300g pack of frozen smoked salmon costs £3.50
Tilapia: 110g fillet costs £2.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Ground beef: 500g pack costs £3.50, has a warning that it goes off after 4 days
Scallops: 160g pack of raw scallops costs £3.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 200g pack of frozen scallops costs £6.50
Shrimp: 200g tin costs £1.08
Chicken thighs: 900-1110g pack costs £3.89, or 566g pack of mixed thighs/drumsticks costs £1.49
Canned tuna: 185g tin costs £0.66
Canned salmon: 212g tin of pink salmon costs £1.09
Butter: 250g pack costs £1.19
Eggs: box of 10 costs £1.19
Bacon: 220g pack costs £1.59
Bell peppers: mixed pack of 3 costs £1.65, or red, orange, green or yellow peppers cost £0.78 each
Carrots: 640g pack of sliced carrots costs £0.96, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 1.2kg pack of raw carrots costs £0.55
Ham: 400g pack of sliced ham costs £1.65, has a warning that it goes off after 8 days
Mushrooms: 250g pack of sliced mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 380g pack of closed cup mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 300g pack of large flat mushrooms costs £1.20, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days
Cheese: 250g pack of sliced cheddar costs £1.80, or 350g block of cheddar costs £1.99
Greek yogurt: 500g tub costs £1.00
Cottage cheese: 300g tub costs £0.60
Rice: 1kg pack of long grain rice costs £0.40
Potatoes: 850g pack of ready peeled potatoes costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 2.5kg pack of raw potatoes costs £0.67, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days

Coconut milk: 400ml tin costs £0.99
Almond butter: 170g jar costs £2.39
Spinach: 260g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Kale: 206g pack costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 5 days
Frozen raspberries: 300g pack costs £1.39
Frozen strawberries: 500g pack costs £2.00
Frozen blueberries: 350g pack costs £2.00
Salmon: 200g pack of fresh smoked salmon slices costs £2.79, or 300g pack of frozen smoked salmon costs £3.50
Tilapia: 110g fillet costs £2.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days
Ground beef: 500g pack costs £3.50, has a warning that it goes off after 4 days
Scallops: 160g pack of raw scallops costs £3.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 200g pack of frozen scallops costs £6.50
Shrimp: 200g tin costs £1.08
Chicken thighs: 900-1110g pack costs £3.89, or 566g pack of mixed thighs/drumsticks costs £1.49
Canned tuna: 185g tin costs £0.66
Canned salmon: 212g tin of pink salmon costs £1.09
Butter: 250g pack costs £1.19
Eggs: box of 10 costs £1.19
Bacon: 220g pack costs £1.59
Bell peppers: mixed pack of 3 costs £1.65, or red, orange, green or yellow peppers cost £0.78 each
Carrots: 640g pack of sliced carrots costs £0.96, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 1.2kg pack of raw carrots costs £0.55
Ham: 400g pack of sliced ham costs £1.65, has a warning that it goes off after 8 days
Mushrooms: 250g pack of sliced mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 380g pack of closed cup mushrooms costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 2 days, or 300g pack of large flat mushrooms costs £1.20, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days
Cheese: 250g pack of sliced cheddar costs £1.80, or 350g block of cheddar costs £1.99
Greek yogurt: 500g tub costs £1.00
Cottage cheese: 300g tub costs £0.60
Rice: 1kg pack of long grain rice costs £0.40
Potatoes: 850g pack of ready peeled potatoes costs £1.00, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days, or 2.5kg pack of raw potatoes costs £0.67, has a warning that it goes off after 3 days

What kind of potatoes only last three days before spoiling?

Seanspeed

Banned
Ugh man. Cottage cheese over in the UK was gross.

Also, if you have a freezer, be aware that many of these things can last much longer if you're worried about the spoilage. They dont use a ton of preservatives over there, which means more frequent grocery shopping, which means more getting off your ass, which isn't a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom