• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I should probably avoid shrugs altogether then. Deadlifts are fine for me. Luckily, I no longer have the dip in my traps.
I wouldn't ditch them altogether yet. I noticed that one thing people do is let their shoulders rest forward when they do shrugs. Bring your shoulders back, contract your traps and then do the shrugs. That made all the difference to me.

I found a video that explains it. Please ignore the really stupid name of the video because despite that, the technique he describes is very helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnhjJt6Wdk

ToxicAdam

On a serious note, I think I'm switching to wearing a belt 100% of the time on leg days. The past few months I have been constantly tweaking my lower back when I am doing various leg-related exercises. Doesn't matter what weight I am doing or how much rest I give it.

I used to pride myself on never wearing one, but it's kind of silly at my age (38) not to be as safe as possible.

Height:5'10
Weight: 220
Goal:150
Current Training Schedule: Cardio -Light Weights Daily 1-2 hrs
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym with full equipment stocked
Comments: My doctor requested I do "Light Weights" as part of my workout routine. I see that the suggested routine requires a day break after each workout. With a light weight routine , should I do the same ? Or add to daily cardio routine?

Petrie

Banned
On a serious note, I think I'm switching to wearing a belt 100% of the time on leg days. The past few months I have been constantly tweaking my lower back when I am doing various leg-related exercises. Doesn't matter what weight I am doing or how much rest I give it.

I used to pride myself on never wearing one, but it's kind of silly at my age (38) not to be as safe as possible.

It needs to be said over and over: a belt is not meant to keep your back safe. It does absolutely nothing in this regard.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/405320-lifting-belt-safety/

Use of a weight lifting belt has been shown to slightly reduce the injury rate on individuals who have previously had a back injury; however, individuals who a re-injured while using a lifting belt are more likely to have a more serious injury than those who did not, according to McGill. Furthermore, individuals who have not been injured and use a weight lifting belt display several qualities associated with increased risk of back injury than those who do not. Belts give a false sense of strength to the user, causing him to attempt more weight that he would normally be able to handle. The biomechanics, or movement pattern, of individuals who use a belt may be different from pre-belt usage. This allow individuals to drift into poor lifting habits when performing exercises because they do not have to consciously control their back during the lift since the belt handles spinal location. Finally, use of the weight lifting belt reduces the recruitment of back muscles during exercise. This leads to de-training of the muscles and predisposes you to injury when not wearing the belt.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/405320-lifting-belt-safety/#ixzz2Mrxu4AeZ

And by previous injury, they don't mean a "tweak".

Petrie

Banned
The belt helps strengthen my core. My lower back is part of my core.

You are planning to use a belt because you keep tweaking your back. A belt will exacerbate that issue unless you figure out what problem with form/weight/etc is actually causing it.

I don't think a belt does what you think it does.

Right but if you're constantly tweaking your back then something is wrong here. If the issue doesn't get identified and you continue lifting with the belt, the problem may get exacerbated.

1000x this.

edit: apparently Petrie and I think the same and like to use the word exacerbate

That's because it is an awesome word and we are awesome dudebros. Duh!

ezrarh

The belt helps strengthen my core. My lower back is part of my core.

Right but if you're constantly tweaking your back then something is wrong here. If the issue doesn't get identified and you continue lifting with the belt, the problem may get exacerbated.

edit: apparently Petrie and I think the same and like to use the word exacerbate

bjb

Banned
I wouldn't ditch them altogether yet. I noticed that one thing people do is let their shoulders rest forward when they do shrugs. Bring your shoulders back, contract your traps and then do the shrugs. That made all the difference to me.

I found a video that explains it. Please ignore the really stupid name of the video because despite that, the technique he describes is very helpful...

So wait - is he retracting back then lifting up? Doesn't seem like he's getting much elevation upwards. Seems like it would be counter productive to defining the upper (superior portion) of the trap. I could be wrong.

You should probably have you back examined. I got an MRI that showed a disc problem that I wasn't aware of - completely unrelated to or caused by lifting. I've had to reset my entire deadlift and squat . It's beyond frustrating, but I'm working through it.

derder

I've been going to a strength training gym since late november and immediately switched over to their crossfit sessions in preparation for a soccer league. From March 1st - April 1st, this is going to be my schedule:

Sunday: 3pm -5x3 Bench, 5x3 squat, 10x3 CS Row, Rubber Band Lat lunges, suspended situps, curl ups.
Monday: 7pm - Interval Training at a track. Jog 3/4, sprint 1/4, repeat.
Tuesday: 6pm -1hr Crossfit
Wednesday: 7pm -Interval Training or 2mile run
Thursday: 8pm - Soccer
Friday: 6pm - Interval Training or 2 mile run
Saturday: 11am Crossfit

With one of the interval training days as a rest day.

My question is, when and what should I eat?

Noema

The purpose of the belt is to offer resitance for the rectus abdominus and the obliques, so that they are able to generate a stronger contraction, thus helping the lumber "cilinder" stay more rigid, along with the Valsalva maneuver. That's why tapered belts that are wider in the back than in the front are useless.

More information on belts:

http://70sbig.com/blog/2009/12/belt-me-up-scotty/

http://70sbig.com/?p=891?p=891

http://70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-reasons-for-wearing-a-belt/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/belts-redux/

bjb

Banned
I've been going to a strength training gym since late november and immediately switched over to their crossfit sessions in preparation for a soccer league. From March 1st - April 1st, this is going to be my schedule:

Sunday: 3pm -5x3 Bench, 5x3 squat, 10x3 CS Row, Rubber Band Lat lunges, suspended situps, curl ups.
Monday: 7pm - Interval Training at a track. Jog 3/4, sprint 1/4, repeat.
Tuesday: 6pm -1hr Crossfit
Wednesday: 7pm -Interval Training or 2mile run
Thursday: 8pm - Soccer
Friday: 6pm - Interval Training or 2 mile run
Saturday: 11am Crossfit

With one of the interval training days as a rest day.

My question is, when and what should I eat?

Why limit / stop any strength training in favor of crossfit? Just curious what the rationale would be.

despire

Nice video and I'm interested to try this but there was some comments about shoulder impingement. Is that a risk with doing shrugs this way?

ToxicAdam

Thanks for the links Noema.

bjb said:
You should probably have you back examined. I got an MRI that showed a disc problem that I wasn't aware of - completely unrelated to or caused by lifting. I've had to reset my entire deadlift and squat . It's beyond frustrating, but I'm working through it.

I probably should, but I'm kind of scared at what they would find or what their solution would be. Because I know it's not related to my recent weight lifting, but rather a lifetime of poor lifting habits in my everyday life.

derder

Why limit / stop any strength training in favor of crossfit? Just curious what the rationale would be.

It's half the price, doesn't take place at 7am, and involves more cardio than the standard training offered.

Eidan

I got bored with my bulk so I started cutting a couple of weeks ago. Started at 200, now at 191. I'm concerned about it being too fast, but I'm pretty sure my caloric intake is where it should be (2400). I'm thinking I'll stop at 185.

bjb

Banned
Thanks for the links Noema.

I probably should, but I'm kind of scared at what they would find or what their solution would be.

Well just be aware if you're doing either one of those compounds (or both), they each put a tremendous amount of pressure on your spine. Especially as you go up in weight.

I think that's one of my personal issues with FitGAF and lifting - maybe even SS in general. A lot times new members come in here and ask for advice. Typically people just regurgitate the same things - suggesting SS. Which is fine and I think it's even better when they're being educated on specific form or corrections.

However, everyone's physical backround and aptitude is different. I feel as though better, perhaps even more appropriate consideration should certainly be given towards letting GAFFers know that a lot of lifts can be very dangerous. If not executed properly or in-line with someone's physique - specifically if they have some type of pre-existing condition or deficiency, then it's quite possible more harm will be done than good.

It's half the price, doesn't take place at 7am, and involves more cardio than the standard training offered.

Were you paying for a trainer? Most gyms just offer flat rates and you can design / customize your own strength training regiment.

PBY

Banned
Gotta be completely honest- the routine looks bad to me. Not sure how crossfit is cheaper than lifting? Also, I'm not huge on crossfit but I'm also not a hater either- just seems to me why don't you go all in on either weights or Xfit? That one lift day right after all that Saturday work doesn't seem that productive to me. Just seems like your doing too much different stuff, will be hard to track progress and see results.

Cudder

I got bored with my bulk so I started cutting a couple of weeks ago. Started at 200, now at 191. I'm concerned about it being too fast, but I'm pretty sure my caloric intake is where it should be (2400). I'm thinking I'll stop at 185.

man wtf. people are losing 4.5 pounds per week on a 2400cal diet and here I am trying to lose a pound a week doing 1900cal.

SeanR1221

sphinx

the piano man
so I used that scale that measures bodyfat in the GNC store, I only get to use it when I visit my parents, last time was October 4th 2012 and went there by coincidence on March 4th 2013, some days ago,

so this is what the tickets say:

Oct 4th
Weight: 142.85 lbs.
Bodyfat: 15.6%
Fat mass: 22.26 lbs (everybody tells me that can't be right.)

March 4th
Weight: 146.60
Bodyfat: 15.1%
Fat mass: 22.26 (same amount, probably a placeholder??)

same clothes, same time of the day, in fact I remember I had eaten a bagel prior to weighting myself in october.

is it a rather correct assumption that I gained around 5 pounds of muscle in these 5 months?? or am I missing/forgetting something in the equation? or are these comparisons just pointless?

I am o.k either way, just curious.

PBY

Banned
so I used that scale that measures bodyfat in the GNC store, I only get to use it when I visit my parents, last time was October 4th 2012 and went there by coincidence on March 4th 2013, some days ago,

Oct 4th

March 4th

same clothes, same time of the day, in fact I remember I had eaten a bagel prior to weighting myself in october.

is it a rather correct assumption that I gained around 5 pounds of muscle in these 5 months?? or am I missing/forgetting something in the equation? or are these comparisons just pointless?

Just my philosophy, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you over analyze a scale. Bigger issue is the slow progress over 5 months- what's your routine/diet?

Petrie

Banned
However, everyone's physical backround and aptitude is different. I feel as though better, perhaps even more appropriate consideration should certainly be given towards letting GAFFers know that a lot of lifts can be very dangerous. If not executed properly or in-line with someone's physique - specifically if they have some type of pre-existing condition or deficiency, then it's quite possible more harm will be done than good.

And I think the onus would be on them to make us aware of any pre-existing issues when asking for advice. If they don't say anything, I will assume they are a typical healthy person of that age, and give advice based on that.

bjb

Banned

Oct 4th

March 4th

146? How tall are you? Christ, some of the weights being posted in here lately leave me stunned. That one Zach clown said he eats 1000 calories a day and sits at 150ish while working out regularly.

I take amphetamine regularly which torpedo my appetite, but I still have to eat regularly (most days) in order to actually achieve sufficient lifts. I get that everyone's body comp. is different, but my friend is 5"8 and started lifting when he was 157ish awhile back. He's worked his way up to 175 pretty easily and still looks lean.

SeanR1221

146? How tall are you? Christ, some of the weights being posted in here lately leave me stunned. That one Zach clown said he eats 1000 calories a day and sits at 150ish while working out regularly.

I take amphetamine regularly which torpedo my appetite, but I still have to eat regularly (most days) in order to actually achieve sufficient lifts. I get that everyone's body comp. is different, but my friend is 5"8 and started lifting when he was 157ish awhile back. He's worked his way up to 175 pretty easily and still looks lean.

If it makes you feel better I'm 5'8, 200 pounds.

Szu

Could be water weight.

That's usually the case. I weighed myself yesterday right before my workout and my weight was about 190. I woke up this morning and I'm really dehydrated. Checked my weight and it was 185.

It's a vicious cycle.

bjb

Banned
Yeah she's like 5'4. I got that short Italian syndrome.

You should visit the dating threads more often. Not just for the amusement, but at least once a week there's some joker in there who claims he'll never meet a girl / get laid because of his height lol

Going to try to participate in this OT more.

You should visit the dating threads more often. Not just for the amusement, but at least once a week there's some joker in there who claims he'll never meet a girl / get laid because of his height lol

Never really heard of a tall guy getting too much girl trouble because of his height lol. Better tall than short, and the opposite goes for girls. Guy needs a reality check.

sphinx

the piano man
Just my philosophy, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you over analyze a scale. Bigger issue is the slow progress over 5 months- what's your routine/diet?

I am not worried in the least about the slow progress, in fact I am happy with it. All this time, I have been learning stuff, from bodyweight moves, to proper use of machines and equipment, added main compounds recently. I tried to come up with rutines templates that resemble proven programs but nothing official per se. I know, that's nowhere near optimal and I can do better and I am always trying to get more educated, I am on my way.

as a skinny 5'5 guy, I am quite o.k with those numbers. I was just curious.

146? How tall are you?

as already stated, I am 5'5

and I roll my eyes to the moon and back at guys assuming everybody is 6'3 and should weight 220 just because.

Nice video and I'm interested to try this but there was some comments about shoulder impingement. Is that a risk with doing shrugs this way?
The short ROM in shrugs keeps you from getting to the position for impingement. As opposed to upright rows for example.
So wait - is he retracting back then lifting up? Doesn't seem like he's getting much elevation upwards. Seems like it would be counter productive to defining the upper (superior portion) of the trap. I could be wrong.

I personally feel it more targeted on the entire trap, not just the superior portion. As a whole I feel more of a burn doing it this way, but without a study or real data I obviously can't say definitively. Give it a shot. I felt a huge difference.

SeanR1221

The ok Cupid thread? Not surprised. I've hooked up with a couple women taller than me too. It's like being with a giant.

Dash27

A big guy with chicken legs told my squats will destroy my knees because I'm going too low (what): http://youtu.be/zd4jQcbX_C4

Suggested I should do high bar quarter squats like him.

The bastard benches 130kg for reps though :eek:

Tough to really see some things from that angle, is that low bar? You're not going too low, if anything a hair high but I thought they looked good. I cant tell if you're shoving your knees out (you should be). My concern is you look like you lose tightness on some of them.

bjb

Banned
The short ROM in shrugs keeps you from getting to the position for impingement. As opposed to upright rows for example.

I personally feel it more targeted on the entire trap, not just the superior portion. As a whole I feel more of a burn doing it this way, but without a study or real data I obviously can't say definitively. Give it a shot. I felt a huge difference.

Yeah I'll try it out. Sucks I just worked shoulders last night, though. That guy is absolutely shredded btw for a seemingly older man.

as already stated, I am 5'5

and I roll my eyes to the moon and back at guys assuming everybody is 6'3 and should weight 220 just because.

I never insinuated that. Likewise, I didn't see you previously mention your height.

I suppose your weight is pretty understandable (to some extent). Personally, I just find it interesting that anyone interested or engaged in a serious fitness program - one aimed at perhaps strength training / resulsts is able to maintain such low a body weight for males. However, I suppose it ultimately depends on physical variables and what you're trying to achieve.

Going to work out after school. I'll start incorporating more squats and compound lifts into my routine as suggested in OT4. Lunch for today will consist of Subway and a smoothie from work (Starbucks). I usually throw two scoops of protein in but today I'll have them throw in an extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom