• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I get confused with ppl in here, but didn't you say you had issues with your lower back? If so, I would take it a bit easier than that. All it takes is one day where you're weak and your form slips.
Not so much on-going lower back issues but injuries from my gym not allowing the bar to hit the floor very hard on DLs. This lead to all kinds of problems trying to control the drop on DLs. You can imagine having to gently set 400lbs on the floor. Recipe for injury. Now they have a dedicated area for DLing with bumpers. Huge difference!

I may switch to one day a week for DLs or I may keep a heavy low rep day and a light hi rep day. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm so happy that bulk picture I posted accomplished what I hoped it would! It's a yearly grind guys. You have to keep things in perspective and always have your head looking toward your ultimate goal! Otherwise your progress will suffer.

Okay, so here is my plan. Comments/suggestions are more than welcomed. I'm just going to be listing the main program I plan on doing with an emphasis on what I would like to achieve physically.

August - October 2013: Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine, focus on back, traps, and arms
November - December 2013: Smolov Jr. for bench, focus on chest, back, and traps, at the end of December, try to be close to 255 lbs (currently @ 235 lbs)
January - February 2014: Leg routine, general body hypertrophy
March 2014: full body hypertrophy/size
April - June 2014: 3 month cut
July 2014: Maintenance @ 240/245 lbs, lean out at much as possible

For the next 5 months, I really want to develop solid traps. Going to be doing them 2-3 times a week.

deadbeef

Okay, so here is my plan. Comments/suggestions are more than welcomed. I'm just going to be listing the main program I plan on doing with an emphasis on what I would like to achieve physically.

August - October 2013: Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine, focus on back, traps, and arms
November - December 2013: Smolov Jr. for bench, focus on chest, back, and traps, at the end of December, try to be close to 255 lbs (currently @ 235 lbs)

You are going to gain 20 pounds before the end of the year? Smolov Jr for bench is a great program I really enjoyed it. Is it a 4 week cycle? I think I ran it 3 cycles in a row. I don't know if I would plan to stop it if you continue to make progress. Just a thought, that plans might change.

Petrie

Banned

January - February 2014: Leg routine, general body hypertrophy
March 2014: full body hypertrophy/size
April - June 2014: 3 month cut
July 2014: Maintenance @ 240/245 lbs, lean out at much as possible

For the next 5 months, I really want to develop solid traps. Going to be doing them 2-3 times a week.

I like how the more "veteran" posters are all hitting this type of focus. After seeing my pics, I've realized that physically my chest and biceps are still lacking from where I'd like them to be, so I may retailor my routine to hit them more. My back looks better than I thought, though I'd like a bit more v-taper. Might need to rethink my fall bulk plans and much to GAFs chagrin focus more effort towards upper body lifts.

You are going to gain 20 pounds before the end of the year? Smolov Jr for bench is a great program I really enjoyed it. Is it a 4 week cycle? I think I ran it 3 cycles in a row. I don't know if I would plan to stop it if you continue to make progress. Just a thought, that plans might change.

It won't be pure muscle, that is for sure. That being said, I can always focus on a recomp starting in January. And I believe Smolov Jr is a three week program. I've heard nothing but good things and it is something I want to do as I have been putting it off for a bit now.

I like how the more "veteran" posters are all hitting this type of focus. After seeing my pics, I've realized that physically my chest and biceps are still lacking from where I'd like them to be, so I may retailor my routine to hit them more. My back looks better than I thought, though I'd like a bit more v-taper. Might need to rethink my fall bulk plans and much to GAFs chagrin focus more effort towards upper body lifts.

Nothing with more of a focus on upper body. You know what you want to achieve and where you feel like your body is "lacking". You've been at this for several years, I say go for it. The hardest part for me to get over is that your other body parts won't suffer. Just because you aren't squatting heavy for example, doesn't mean your legs will go to shit. You will be fine. Just make sure to have a day of "maintenance" if you can to hit your other body parts.

deadbeef

It won't be pure muscle, that is for sure. That being said, I can always focus on a recomp starting in January. And I believe Smolov Jr is a three week program. I've heard nothing but good things and it is something I want to do as I have been putting it off for a bit now.
I guess that's a pound a week - doable! I have been trying to get in the 250 range forever but I always balk when it comes to actually eating that much food. I have crept up to like 224 now, but 250 seems so far away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what kind of life I'd lead if I went only legs for 6 months.

Probably a bad one. But the desire to experiment...

SeanR1221

Not so much on-going lower back issues but injuries from my gym not allowing the bar to hit the floor very hard on DLs. This lead to all kinds of problems trying to control the drop on DLs. You can imagine having to gently set 400lbs on the floor. Recipe for injury. Now they have a dedicated area for DLing with bumpers. Huge difference!

I may switch to one day a week for DLs or I may keep a heavy low rep day and a light hi rep day. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm so happy that bulk picture I posted accomplished what I hoped it would! It's a yearly grind guys. You have to keep things in perspective and always have your head looking toward your ultimate goal! Otherwise your progress will suffer.

I won't lie, your progress gave me a huge confidence boost along with seeing petries two year progress. My two year is coming up after the new year. Can't wait to see the difference.

Petrie

Banned
Nothing with more of a focus on upper body. You know what you want to achieve and where you feel like your body is "lacking". You've been at this for several years, I say go for it. The hardest part for me to get over is that your other body parts won't suffer. Just because you aren't squatting heavy for example, doesn't mean your legs will go to shit. You will be fine. Just make sure to have a day of "maintenance" if you can to hit your other body parts.

I may try to find a program that goes for a good balance of hypertrophy and strength gains on upper body, while sticking to maintenance on lower lifts. I'm pretty happy with where my legs and core are at physically but I just feel like when I look at my pics, it is the front view of my upper body that needs the work. Maybe it's just a bit of body dysmorphia and I should stick with my original 5/3/1 BBB plan, I dunno.

I hate this shit!

when doing a Smolov Jr type focus for bench or squats, do you ditch accessory work or other body parts while doing that routine?

For the most part, it is recommended that you do little to no accessory work as your main focus is bench or squats. It is only three weeks and there is a reason why you are doing a specialized program and that is to get that specific lift up. If you wanted to do some light rows or various back/leg work, you can but the moment it is starting to make an impact on your main program, you need to stop.

I may try to find a program that goes for a good balance of hypertrophy and strength gains on upper body, while sticking to maintenance on lower lifts. I'm pretty happy with where my legs and core are at physically but I just feel like when I look at my pics, it is the front view of my upper body that needs the work. Maybe it's just a bit of body dysmorphia and I should stick with my original 5/3/1 BBB plan, I dunno.

I hate this shit!

Haha. Been there, done that. It is difficult, that is for sure. You want to try to do everything but since we are naturals, it is that much harder for us to grow. If you want to do BBB, go for it. Feel like more chest? Find a program that does that and stick with it.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/4_weeks_to_a_bigger_chest

I did that earlier this year. I enjoyed it greatly.

Petrie

Banned
Petrie, maybe check out some tnation routines? They seem to put up a lot of stuff you could try.

Yeah, just so hard to know what's right for my goals plus my level. That's what I love about 5/3/1, knowing that I can tailor it to my needs and still get that intermediate experience. I don't want to shortchange my gains by picking a program too advanced for my needs, you know?

This is me being too much of a computer. Everything is stats and numbers in my head. lol

blackflag

haha, your body composition looks very similar to me (compare to my latest pics in the weight loss thread) so I will give you my measures:

Caliper pinch - 18%
Virgin Active measure station - 19%
Withings WiFi scale - 21%
BodPod - 28.8%

BodPod is supposed to be most accurate but it seems wildly different to three other measures so I would go with 21%.

Bodpod is definitely accurate. It is the most accurate thing other than water submersion/DEXA. If bodpod says 28. I'd go with 28. Wearing the wrong kind of clothes could screw it up though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I think I got this tweaked properly now... What's fitness gaf think?

Today was workout A

Squats

135 3x5

Incline press

did 115 too easy moved up to

125 3x5

Deadlift
still struggling to find a good weight for this

Did 155 first and really focused on form, moved slowly and kept bar close to body all the way down

Then 175, still fairly easy and more concerned about form. Really trying to take it easy on my knee here.

Finally Pull ups
I'm TERRIBLE at these... any advice, or should I just keep plugging away?

I did

I'm not fully extending, I'm just doing as much as I feel I can. I saw an improvement over last monday, but still suck. Any advice? Also what do you guys usually do for pre workout? I wake up, drink a protein shake and eat a large cup of dry oats and a banana.

edit- also thoughts so far on SS

- Easily able to keep workouts under an hour now. Before I was doing 12 reps on each, recovery time took longer between sets and was doing a full body workout with no rest days in between.
- My shoulders are no longer stiff, and seperating shoulder press and incline press has made both of them excel quite a bit in terms of ease.
- not sure if this is just coincidence, but my range of motion has improved 10 fold in most areas. No more snapping/clicking in shoulder and elbow, and my squats have worked as a dynamic stretch for my groins/abductors. I'm assuming I was overworking connective tissue/tendons in the shoulders causing inflamation which would cause them to slide or snap over a bone.
- LOVE workout days, feels great, no longer killing myself, and dreading the pain I faced ahead.

entremet

Olympic lifters DL everyday, however it is periodized and they work up to that volume.

Since you're starting up again, I would limit to two DL session per week, spaced out 3 days. Work up the volume to prevent any joint issues. You may want to try sumo as well. It's easier on the lower back.

I dead lift every other workout, similar to Stronglifts or SS.

I haven't been doing a good job documenting my workouts, so I've decided to dust off the fitocracy app.

Do you guys have any other recommendations for gym-tracking apps?

Petrie

Banned
Damn man. looking sick .

Always nice to hear, thank you. Especially on days like today where I'm like "fuck bulking I look like shit, 2 more months of cutting!" despite knowing full well I need to give my body a break from the cut and some fuel for dem gainz!

I wish I had been more hardcore these last few weeks of my cut though, as I wanted to be steadily under 170lbs before beginning my bulk.

despire

Guys, please guesstimate my BF%. I know it's probably somewhere in the ballpark of 20%, but I can't tell if it's over or under. Hoping for the latter of course.

S2Pbxhs.jpg

I can feel my upper four abs but they aren't exactly visible.

Soo, anyone else want to chime in as well?

Noema

when doing a Smolov Jr type focus for bench or squats, do you ditch accessory work or other body parts while doing that routine?

You usually stick to just bench and squats. Ben Rice for example who is on his second Smolov's cycle does no accessories for squats and does some moderate assistance for bench at the end of his sessions (10 dips+10 triceps pulldowns + 10 face pulls superset IIRC). But basically all he does is squat and bench 4x a week.

I can't speak from experience of course, but the volume on Smolov's is so insane that probably most forms of assistance will get in the way of recovery.

Cooter

Olympic lifters DL everyday, however it is periodized and they work up to that volume.

Since you're starting up again, I would limit to two DL session per week, spaced out 3 days. Work up the volume to prevent any joint issues. You may want to try sumo as well. It's easier on the lower back.

I dead lift every other workout, similar to Stronglifts or SS.
Thanks for the insight. I'll look into sumos. I honestly have no clue what they are.

Noema

Thanks for the insight. I'll look into sumos. I honestly have no clue what they are.

A Sumo deadlift is basically the lower body equivalent of a super wide grip bench. It usually allows people to move more weight, because the ROM is much shorter. It's much more of a leg movement, almost like a squat that starts off the floor. The thing with sumo is that they are not as favorable for strength building since they don't utilize nearly as much muscle mass as a conventional deadlift.

A Sumo deadlift is basically the lower body equivalent of a super wide grip bench. It usually allows people to move more weight, because the ROM is much shorter. It's much more of a leg movement, almost like a squat that starts off the floor. The thing with sumo is that they are not as favorable for strength building since they don't utilize nearly as much muscle mass as a conventional deadlift.

The top lifters who use it in competition only introduce it late into their training cycle and use conventional to train a majority of the time.

Noema

The top lifters who use it in competition only introduce it late into their training cycle and use conventional to train a majority of the time.

Yeah, and they use it in competition because they can lift more weight that way, specially for lifters with longer torsos and short arms who are good squatters / benchers but have a mechanical disadvantage when setting up a conventional deadlift.

velociraptor

Went to a medical centre. Got my FEV1/FVC measured.

I think my figures were pretty shitty. I can't remember what the nurse told me but apparently my value is 79%

I've had asthma since a kid but it has always bugged me. Even during benching and squats I feel like my cardiovascular system can ramp up.

Is there a proven way to increase your FEV1 and FVC?

entremet

Yep. Definitely. But since Cooter mentioned some lower back issues it puts less stress on it than conventional and harder to get injured doing it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Need some help for my workout: My last 531 cycle was this. The numbers are based off of the last set for each week's 531:

Bench Press: 175x5, 185x3, 195x1 (barely)
Deadlift: 235x6, 245x4, 260x3
Overhead Press: 110x7, 115x6, 125x1
Squat: 190x9, 200x7, 215x6

As you can see, BP and OHP are my concerns. I'm not sure if I should move on to the next cycle for those two or consider them stalls and reset the cycle for both of them. Next cycle starts tomorrow so any help asap would be awesome.

agrajag

Banned
What's everyone work/rest day schedule like? I used to do work out every other day, buy due to my new work schedule I absolutely cannot work out Saturdays and Sundays. So I have to switch to a two days on one day off/ two days on two days off week.

Noema

Need some help for my workout: My last 531 cycle was this. The numbers are based off of the last set for each week's 531:

Bench Press: 175x5, 185x3, 195x1 (barely)
Deadlift: 235x6, 245x4, 260x3
Overhead Press: 110x7, 115x6, 125x1
Squat: 190x9, 200x7, 215x6

As you can see, BP and OHP are my concerns. I'm not sure if I should move on to the next cycle for those two or consider them stalls and reset the cycle for both of them. Next cycle starts tomorrow so any help asap would be awesome.

As long as you keep hitting your prescribed reps, even if you only got 1 rep in your last set of the 531 week you need to keep adding weight to your training max. So you shouldn't consider them stalls.

If you fail to hit at least one rep in your next 531 week then calculate a new 1RM, take 10% off that and use that as your new TM. Also Wendler recommends a deload week after a stall happens.

deadbeef

Got up at 4AM today and hit the gym for week 2 with accessory lifts @ 70%. Today was DL 3x5 and 5x10 Squats. I did better this week! I always find it amazing what increased concentration and focus can accomplish

Squat: 285x10,10,8,7,6

Mornings have been a bad idea for my deadlifts. I have lost strength on them. I do much better after a few meals are in me.

Cudder

Had a little trip with some friends and crossed the boarder into Buffalo. Went into a Vitamin Shoppe and was blown away, so much better than GNC. Picked up a 5lb Chocolate Mint ON Whey tub. 50 bucks, no tax. My heart skipped a beat. Shit is so much more expensive in Canada.

Petrie

Banned
What's everyone work/rest day schedule like? I used to do work out every other day, buy due to my new work schedule I absolutely cannot work out Saturdays and Sundays. So I have to switch to a two days on one day off/ two days on two days off week.

That's a better schedule anyways. Your body needs 2 rest days in a row regularly. I like to make sure my 2 days off falls after deadlifts as that tends to be the roughest on the CNS.

ACE 1991

So for a 3000 calorie bulk, does this breakdown of protein carbs and fat look good for someone 21 years old, 5'8'' and 161lb:

165g of protein
385g of Carbohydrates
95g of fat

Any examples of some good clean foods that I should pick up to hit this?

deadbeef

That's been my schedule for about a year now - Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri; DL, OHP, Squat, Bench

Cooter

Had a little trip with some friends and crossed the boarder into Buffalo. Went into a Vitamin Shoppe and was blown away, so much better than GNC. Picked up a 5lb Chocolate Mint ON Whey tub. 50 bucks, no tax. My heart skipped a beat. Shit is so much more expensive in Canada.
And what about quest bars? Surely you picked up 34 boxes!

abuC

Did my first depletion workout today, was tough but I got through it without too much hassle. I already cannot wait for the carb-up cycle, got so much food in mind..........

I envy you guys who can eat up and not feel bloated. It has always been a struggle for me and one of the things I dislike about bulking. I might try eating at maintenance for the rest of the month. Stay around 3k until my body settles.

Did my first depletion workout today, was tough but I got through it without too much hassle. I already cannot wait for the carb-up cycle, got so much food in mind..........

Is it just pretty much going to failure on all your sets?

deadbeef

are you splitting it Mon/Tues? How long did it take you? I remember spending about 1.5 hours per day

Noema

So for a 3000 calorie bulk, does this breakdown of protein carbs and fat look good for someone 21 years old, 5'8'' and 161lb:

165g of protein
385g of Carbohydrates
95g of fat

Any examples of some good clean foods that I should pick up to hit this?

More protein, less carbs. I'd go for about 200g of protein, 350g of carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom