• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

I always read they aim for 8 - 12. Man, the web is really full of broscience. Also, most "strength" guys look pretty strong as well most of the time...

same. it's what people always tell me as well.

guess I better start pushing for a few more reps per set and maybe go down a bit in weight.

rando14

hmmm petrie I was looking at reviews of quest bars on amazon, there are multiple people who reviewed the products who are diabetics and they say after eating the bars an hour later their blood sugar spikes to high levels

Have you tested your blood sugar after eating them?

Just ordered these:

neon-yellow-3.jpg

I'll put up a review up in a month.

Exis

I hit my first deload on the squat today, 290 pounds.. I could only go up for two and then just was not making it. I took it down to 260 and am going to start on the way back up doing 5 pounds each session.

I crossed 200 on my deadlift and 100 on my OHP so all in all it was a good day.

--
I am thinking of becoming a client of the guy that runs the starting strength nutrition boards, it's the cost of a car payment but if my fatloss keeps stalling it seems like it would be worth it.

Did you get it in La Madre Patria? Haven't seen them in the GNCs around here, but hopefully I can get my hands on one soon. Just to see if they are as awesome as everybody claims.

Nah, was at San Diego and decided to try my luck. I live an hour away from the closest american GNC

abuC

Going to give Ultimate Diet a serious try now, I've been off and on with it, but my friend recently lost 18lbs in around two and a half weeks. His strength didn't drop off at all, which is what I'm looking for.

cryptic

Huh, it's actually made out of cricket flour?
That's pretty neat, must be super low in carb/fat, and high in protein.

Not entirely, there's the usual dates and what not. They're also a bit expensive at the moment,but they're a step in the right direction for me finishing up at the gym and just flipping a rock for PWO.

Petrie

Banned
hmmm petrie I was looking at reviews of quest bars on amazon, there are multiple people who reviewed the products who are diabetics and they say after eating the bars an hour later their blood sugar spikes to high levels

Have you tested your blood sugar after eating them?

I have tested and found no more of a spike than any other food for me. I've seen those reports and I don't know if I'm the outlier, but they don't seem to give me any short term spike.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
How do you gauge a good workout? Soreness afterwards? The pump you get during?
Whether you hit or exceed your programmed reps and weights whilst maintaining good form and avoiding discomfort.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do you gauge a good workout? Soreness afterwards? The pump you get during?

If you move up in weight, good.

If you can't move up but manage what you did last time, alright.

If you do worse, shit workout.

andycapps

Damn my legs are sore since I started deadlifting. Is this too much?

Sun: DL
Tues: 5x5 squats
Wed: DL
Fri: Hi rep squats
You're a better man than me. I do them once a week on 5/3/1. I feel like squats and deadlifts take too much out of me to do them on the same day like in Starting Strength, and not one day after the other either. I like to be really fresh on both exercises.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're a better man than me. I do them once a week on 5/3/1. I feel like squats and deadlifts take too much out of me to do them on the same day like in Starting Strength, and not one day after the other either. I like to be really fresh on both exercises.
I'm just on a DL'ing high because I've been away so long. I can't imagine my routine will stay like this. I'm at the gym 7 days a week since I've added deads. That will not continue. I'm going on 13 straight days of weight training at the moment.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So after finally get a mixer and pan I made that protein cheesecake from dhftns today. It's freaking amazing! So glad I can finally start making all the vanilla protein based powder recipes from that site and others. Also speaking of which I think the next OT should include links to places like dhftns, kory protein pow etc along with recipes from fitgaf or other sources that show you how simple it is to make delicious and healthy food. And how you can do it even on a budget. Since it seems alot of people think it's impossible to eat healthy and delicious food. Have a few friends who think they have to eat chicken breast, brown rice, and brocolli all day to eat clean. And yeah you could keep to a set diet but you can change it up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I was going over my progress folder and found some old pictures. I thought this might inspire/motivate people to keep pushing along and remember that progress is measured in years not months for us natural folk.

8/10
8-14-103.jpg

1/11 during a bulk
1-28-11205.jpg

8/13- ;)
7fef1615-c9d9-427a-b97c-757af7283620.jpg

You've got gorilla arms. I mean that as a compliment.

ToxicAdam

Damn my legs are sore since I started deadlifting. Is this too much?

Tues: 5x5 squats
Wed: DL
Fri: Hi rep squats

I get confused with ppl in here, but didn't you say you had issues with your lower back? If so, I would take it a bit easier than that. All it takes is one day where you're weak and your form slips.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and tell you that you're all very inspirational. I'm down to about 173 now from over 350 about a year and a half ago. I'm so ignorant on this subject that I'm not even completely sure what questions to ask as much as just hoping to soak up the knowledge in this thread that I've been poking through the past week or so.

Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 173
Goal: All-around athletic build.
Current Training Schedule:About 30 push-ups a day, 5x5 standing press and curls with barbell @ 60lbs (I'm basically weak as a kitten), 5x5 Spring bar. Once or twice a week I'll do some running, and I do quite a bit of walking each week, as well as always take a ton of stairs at work.
Current Training Equipment Available: Kinda goofy here- Barbell with 80 lbs of weights available, 1x 20lb dumbbell, Resistive spring bar.
Comments:

I've been fat my whole life, and now I'm approaching a healthy weight. I've gotten here by meticulously watching and logging my intake. I'm still eating at a deficit of 1,750 calories a day since I'd like to not be medically overweight any more but I've recently tried to make those admittedly limited calories COUNT more in my new efforts to reshape myself.

I've been a vegetarian for over a decade but have recently started taking protein shakes and eating fish in an attempt to take my nutrition ratios from the previous roughly 55% carb/ 30% fat/15%protein levels I've been around. With the addition of the shakes and the fish I'm approaching more of a 45% carb/29% fat/ 26% protein ratio. So I see I'm still not up to the 1g protein-1lb figure I should be reaching.

I'm kind of scared that if I raise my calories up to maybe 1,900 a day that I'll start getting fat again. Perhaps this is irrational since I'm eating pretty damned clean now and am extremely paranoid about what I put in my body. I'm afraid, also, that I'll eat too much fish because I hear that mercury levels can be an issue so I'm considering adding baked chicken breast to my diet.

As you can see my equipment is limited. I'm open to any wisdom you gents might be inclined to share. I've been trying to build myself up for only about a month now. I've got a ton of loose skin from the weight loss and my eventual end-goal would be to be comfortable in said loose skin by filling it up with muscle as much as possible.

I'm not scared of monotony or hard work with no visible improvements, I feel those are some skills that the weight loss have helped me develop. I'm hoping that, as with weight loss, as long as I'm doing the right shit and keep doing it with or without any noticeable results that eventually, maybe even a year down the line, my body will start reacting to it.

So, again, thanks for all the inspiration everyone!

despire

Guys, please guesstimate my BF%. I know it's probably somewhere in the ballpark of 20%, but I can't tell if it's over or under. Hoping for the latter of course.

S2Pbxhs.jpg

I can feel my upper four abs but they aren't exactly visible.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Guys, please guesstimate my BF%:

S2Pbxhs.jpg

I can feel my upper four abs but they aren't exactly visible.

haha, your body composition looks very similar to me (compare to my latest pics in the weight loss thread) so I will give you my measures:

Caliper pinch - 18%
Virgin Active measure station - 19%
Withings WiFi scale - 21%
BodPod - 28.8%

BodPod is supposed to be most accurate but it seems wildly different to three other measures so I would go with 21%.

sphinx

the piano man
So, again, thanks for all the inspiration everyone!

Hey, it's great you decided to post here :), You have done an amazing job getting back in shape and I am sure you've inspired a lot in people in the weight loss thread.

Do you have or could you get access to a properly equiped gym? They have everything you need and more so it's basically impossible to stall.

congratulations for what you'v been doing so far, doing bodyweigth stuff like push-ups and getting in better condition in general terms is an excellent preparation for starting a proper strength based program later on.

Sorry that I can't give more advice now but try going more into detail with the OP and see what you could or would like to know more about and come back here asking specific questions regarding programming.

Top priority is getting access to a gym, that would be the best, otherwise you are kind of stuck with what you are doing and there isn't much further advice people can give you here.

Damn my ego!.. I was supposed to start my deload week today with the bench but ended up doing one max out set (9 x 220lb) after all. And the reason? There was this one damn fine fitness chick working out next to the bench blasting her delts and arms (dem biceps!) and I didn't want to look too bad benching less than the young smaller dude on the other bench. Pretty pathetic... I guess I will do my bench deload next Sunday at 7 am and hope that the gym is empty then...

Petrie

Banned
Damn my ego!.. I was supposed to start my deload week today with the bench but ended up doing one max out set (9 x 220lb) after all. And the reason? There was this one damn fine fitness chick working out next to the bench blasting her delts and arms (dem biceps!) and I didn't want to look too bad benching less than the young smaller dude on the other bench. Pretty pathetic... I guess I will do my bench deload next Sunday at 7 am and hope that the gym is empty then...

If she's a real fitness chick she'd realize that you were doing the weight you were because of a program, not because you can't do more.

Why would you let anyone's presence change your workout? That's just silly, and she likely didn't even notice being focused on her workout and all!

Why would you let anyone's presence change your workout? That's just silly, and she likely didn't even notice being focused on her workout and all!

Yeah, I know it is silly and now I feel pretty stupid.. but she was definitely checking out what I was doing. Well, gotta get used to these deload weeks since I'm planning to start doing them once a month from now on.

Szu

Woooo!!!!

Just got back from my trip to Canada, warning of severe incoming pic storm.

Just trying to catch up.

Cooter - that bulk was insane.

Petrie - Super progress.

Sean - Shogun Jr!!!!!

Petrie

Banned
Woooo!!!!

Just trying to catch up.

Petrie - Super progress.

Sean - Shogun Jr!!!!!

Thank you!

I love seeing progress pics. Helps me stay even more motivated. Cooter, your bulk pics have made me much more secure in my upcoming and how great it'll be long term. So thank you.

SeanR1221

Woooo!!!!

Just trying to catch up.

Petrie - Super progress.

Sean - Shogun Jr!!!!!

Thanks mang.

Damn, do you guys ever feel like you're firing on all cylinders? Everything just seems good right now. I feel great, gym sessions are going well, lots of energy, tons of motivation, etc.

Imm0rt4l

I get confused with ppl in here, but didn't you say you had issues with your lower back? If so, I would take it a bit easier than that. All it takes is one day where you're weak and your form slips.
Yea. Even at 100% I wouldnt deadlift more than once a week, not with good intensity anyways.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks mang.

Damn, do you guys ever feel like you're firing on all cylinders? Everything just seems good right now. I feel great, gym sessions are going well, lots of energy, tons of motivation, etc.

I am going through a weird phase where I feel anxiety when I think of working out.... to the point that I am starting to not want to go, sort of, kind of....don't get me wrong, I am not losing motivation or anything, I want to keep getting better but mentally/emotionally, I am not feeling as good as I used to when I was a lot more ignorant.....

lots of stupid, mental shit in my mind. For example "If I deload, I am failure"... today is legs at least, which supposedly is my element but I get a headache if I think about taking a video of my squats and seeing half reps again....don't know.. I guess I lack maturity on this and need to check the ego at the door, like you guys say.

I have nothing against that but then I think " You're such a pussy, a quiter".... so I am just annoying myself with those kind of thoughts.

...it'll get better I guess.

ToxicAdam

Yea. Even at 100% I wouldnt deadlift more than once a week, not with good intensity anyways.

I'm someone that encourages people to 'embrace their mania' when it comes to working out. Because you're going to go through peaks and valleys in your life and it's important to utilize your energy when you are going through a manic phase.

That being said, I think his program is a pretty good idea for someone that knows what they are doing and wants to acheive a goal. But, if you have a history of injury and are getting older (like me), you really need to temper your aspirations a bit.

despire

I am going through a weird phase where I feel anxiety when I think of working out.... to the point that I am starting to not want to go, sort of, kind of....don't get me wrong, I am not losing motivation or anything, I want to keep getting better but mentally/emotionally, I am not feeling as good as I used to when I was a lot more ignorant.....

lots of stupid, mental shit in my mind. For example "If I deload, I am failure"... today is legs at least, which supposedly is my element but I get a headache if I think about taking a video of my squats and seeing half reps again....don't know.. I guess I lack maturity on this and need to check the ego at the door, like you guys say.

I have nothing against that but then I think " You're such a pussy, a quiter".... so I am just annoying myself with those kind of thoughts.

...it'll get better I guess.

Well deloading is a part of the process. It's necessary. Are you still doing SS or something similar? Maybe you should switch to Greyskull LP..? GSLP gives deloading a whole new meaning and makes it quite fun actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom