• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

I'm starting up some light weight training and started running this week. Is there an average time on when your body gets used to working out(for those that are starting from not exercising at all?) ? Like I ran 2.5 miles on sunday and the preceding days felt like I was walking around like a marionette and just had to wait until I could do again which was today.

2.5 is quite a bit to just jump into--that's almost a 5K. Most people need to work up to that.

I get weighed electronically at work and I have a question about my bodyfat %

I lost ten pounds from 185 to 175, but my body fat % has stayed almost the same

My fat weight is listed at 38.2

Does this mean I lost 10 lbs of muscle?

I am 175, and 5'6
What is the best calorie count and macro to build muscle while minimizing fat gains

I do stronglifts with crossfit on the side

Zoe

I get weighed electronically at work and I have a question about my bodyfat %

I lost ten pounds from 185 to 175, but my body fat % has stayed almost the same

My fat weight is listed at 38.2

Does this mean I lost 10 lbs of muscle?

I am 175, and 5'6
What is the best calorie count and macro to build muscle while minimizing fat gains

I do stronglifts with crossfit on the side

There's more than just muscle in the "non-fat" part of your body. Water, skin, bones, guts, etc. Plus if you're weighing yourself at work, then you're not really in control of all the variables that can affect your weight day to day.

And your fat % has stayed the same, or your fat weight has stayed the same?

Cudder

Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with MAP? I have a couple bottles, going to try substituting my protein with them for a while.

map.jpg

Exuro

DOMS for me happens the most in my legs. It is always the 2nd day too. Leg day, fine. Day after, a bit sore. Next day after that? ggs
For me I felt pretty good after running on sunday. A little sore which is to be expected, but then I woke up monday morning and my entire body was aching. Did not feel good.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ran 2.7 today so hopefully i don't feel as bad as I did tomorrow.

Zoe

For me I felt pretty good after running on sunday. A little sore which is to be expected, but then I woke up monday morning and my entire body was aching. Did not feel good.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ran 2.7 today so hopefully i don't feel as bad as I did tomorrow.

Just keep in mind that muscles are not the only thing you need to worry about when you suddenly start running.

Exuro

Just keep in mind that muscles are not the only thing you need to worry about when you suddenly start running.
Well don't tease me like that. :p Explain!

I try to do some pre and post running stretches, however I should probably look up what to do as I've just been winging it.

Imm0rt4l

I don't like giving unsolicited advice in the gym but I saw a guy squatting 3 plates and was basically good morning the entire thing. That shit hurt to watch. He was hitting depth and was seemingly proud of getting low, but his form was absolutely awful.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I get sore, but it's not like the DOMS when I started. I gingerly get around, but I doubt that's the same soreness y'all get. It's a good kick in the ass that I need to lift heavier

Zoe

I try to do some pre and post running stretches, however I should probably look up what to do as I've just been winging it.

Many people end up with foot injuries from starting up too hard and fast. Your tendons and joints need time to adjust to the sudden force (2.5 times your body weight) that you're putting on them. And the part that sucks is it could take a few months before you realize how much damage you've done.

sphinx

the piano man
I get DOMS depending on the bodypart but nowadays is almsot always only core, it hurts a bit if I sneeze :p

and if any other DOMS appear, then it is on the 2nd day at its most intense point, just like FE said

EDIT: by the way, the thread won't survive one more day, I think, final countdown is on.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Day 2 is always the worst for DOMS. Just how it is for most people I know.

Alright guys, one month until I start the summer progress thread in OT. Wanted to give a firm date so people have something to shoot for. July 5th it is. Perfect timing for us Yanks as we will be primed for the holiday. By no means does this imply you can't post in August or September when you may be ready but it's happening in a month!

So get those abs popping or that mass maximized. It's for all of us now and not reserved for all the shredded members. Wear the shirt you think you look best in. Don't wear one. Highlight the trunks or take a waste up picture. Post before and afters. Do whatever the hell you want. Let's represent this great group and see if we can get others to join in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just started Stronglifts 5x5 this week, so Tuesday was Squats, Bench Press, and Barbell/Bent Over Rows. Had two main concerns:

1. Maybe it's just contrary to what I'm used to, but the workout felt so short. I feel like if I knew what I was doing and I took pretty short rests between sets, this workout would take fewer than 20 minutes. Would it be helpful to add some extra cardio at the end, like 20 minutes on a treadmill walking on incline?

2. My form sucks. Can't seem to go low enough on squats and I have no clue if I was even doing the Barbell Rows right at all. Does this just come with practice? I want to establish good habits early.

It definitely shouldn't take fewer than 20 minutes. You're supposed to rest at least 90 seconds in between sets, so that's 18 minutes of rest alone. Factor in setting up the bar, warmup sets and actually doing the exercises and you're looking at a minimum of around 25 minutes.

The heavier you go, though, the more rest time you're going to need, so it will probably start taking upwards of 40 minutes to an hour.

Thanks for the feedback Rage! I'll make sure to be extra careful when doing the two big lower lifts.

He was actually pretty okay. He wanted to be delicate to the graft, but understood I was an athlete and needed to be back on my knees (literally) for my (former) job. He got me back to that pretty quickly, but I was not in the best mental shape after the surgery and things only got worse when I realized how weak I was. My progress continued, but I found the, "do 20 reps of leg press for five sets," tedious. I stopped going by the end of March.

My old job is done, but I found another one: construction. It's been fun and while I'm certainly not as strong or as in shape as I once was, me and my knee are keeping up.

did you get a patellar, hamstring, or cadaver graft?

I didn't do stretches for months after I started running and I am so unflexibel now. That's how I injured my back by lifting.

despire

Ended my proper cut yesterday and been refeeding today and will continue tomorrow. Got to my leanest yet as I'm around 14% bf currently. Feels pretty good though I still want to get down to 12 before bulking. Anyway that's gonna happen with 5/2 as I don't feel like putting so much effort to dieting as I've been doing for the last 14 weeks. 5/2 should make it relatively simple. Just fast two days a week and enjoy myself the rest of the week without too much micromanaging. Gonna report how it will go :)

Alright guys, one month until I start the summer progress thread in OT. Wanted to give a firm date so people have something to shoot for. July 5th it is. Perfect timing for us Yanks as we will be primed for the holiday. By no means does this imply you can't post in August or September when you may be ready but it's happening in a month!

So get those abs popping or that mass maximized. It's for all of us now and not reserved for all the shredded members. Wear the shirt you think you look best in. Don't wear one. Highlight the trunks or take a waste up picture. Post before and afters. Do whatever the hell you want. Let's represent this great group and see if we can get others to join in.

I don't know when I will post a pic in July but I most certainly will. Prolly continue this "cut" well into October too.

Booties

Banned
My left hamstring is feeling a little tight when I walk around at work. I lifted the other day and I plan on going today right after work. Should I take it easy on the squats today?

SeanR1221

You know those chewy chips ahoy stuffed with Oreo filling posted a little while back?

Delicious.

Know what's even better? Blending them in a smoothie.

Cooter

I don't know when I will post a pic in July but I most certainly will. Prolly continue this "cut" well into October too.
When ever you're ready big guy. You will easily have the most dramatic bulk/cut transformation in here.

Petrie

Banned

Nudes?

Sadetar

I like never sweat no matter how hard I work. Even when I throw up I'm not sweating.
I am slightly jealous - I sweat like a pig. Mainly from the lower back, upper lip area, nose and forehead.

I am waiting this so much! Partly so I can drool all your sweetie pies in here and partly because I hope I would have something to show myself.

Finally there is some results though. Even if I still think I don't see them, my seamstress who does basicly all my everyday clothes informed me today that my waist is 10 cm / 4 inches smaller than it was on February. That is a lot, right?

New gym!!!!
You are a beast. ^_^ Ah, these photos are the reason why I love to read this thread before going to bed.

Had to blur out the profanity, guessing those words aren't allowed here.

Cut is going pretty good, might get on a ECA stack in a few weeks as well.
You look extremely awesome. <3

Cooter

Finally there is some results though. Even if I still think I don't see them, my seamstress who does basicly all my everyday clothes informed me today that my waist is 10 cm / 4 inches smaller than it was on February. That is a lot, right?
Are you kidding me? That's fantastic! Way to work!

sphinx

the piano man
soon it's time to go to sleep here in Europe and this thread will get into a deep sleep so this is probably my last post here unless I wake up to see there's still a page to fill..

thanks OT6, for all the gains you gave us and fuck your ghost,

Sadetar

Are you kidding me? That's fantastic! Way to work!
Awwww! Thanks honey!

I would still want some big(ger) changes so I would feel entitled to post some actual before and after shots. I hate the before shots with a passion and they are officially the worst photos never taken of me. But yes, I am definitely on the right tracks.

Oh and does anybody have any opinions about stevia? I used to use it on daily basis and I do like it at some places but I am thinking does it just make me crave the sweets more.

Edit: Oh and I have loved this thread with a passion! Lets make the new one at least as good as this one has been! <3

Hiz_95

Has anyone here worked up to a full front lever? I was at a point where I could hold it with one leg half extended and the other fully extended for 5-10s before I stopped training it. This was over a year ago and I'm about 20-25lbs heavier now though. I was making some decent progress with it using info from around the web, but I'm going to try and get it properly now and would appreciate any advice anyone could give me

blackflag

Awwww! Thanks honey!

I would still want some big(ger) changes so I would feel entitled to post some actual before and after shots. I hate the before shots with a passion and they are officially the worst photos never taken of me. But yes, I am definitely on the right tracks.

Oh and does anybody have any opinions about stevia? I used to use it on daily basis and I do like it at some places but I am thinking does it just make me crave the sweets more.

Edit: Oh and I have loved this thread with a passion! Lets make the new one at least as good as this one has been! <3

Stevia doesn't affect me like that but i'[ve heard artificial sugars in general do that to some people. Stevia is a staple for me.

Sadetar

Cooter wins haha.
I'm honestly surprised I posted here that many times.
I am equally surprised by how many post I have managed to have. I have been here only a short time and I have nearly 90.

I bought some funky fresh new gym clothes, going to the gym in my new awesomes. I will post a pic later.
Ooh. I am overly excited on your behalf as well - and waiting for the promised pics. ;)

Go_Ly_Dow

Everyone with 100+ posts.

User Name Posts
Cooter 1,133
SeanR1221 1,057
Brolic Gaoler 1,005
FallingEdge 751
Vince McMahon 658
sphinx 519
ohhthegore 461
Soka 453
Imm0rt4l 386
rokkerkory 384
C. Qwark 363
Szu 352
MrToughPants 335
Cudder 328
despire 317
Chocobro 317
abuC 284
Zefah 281
Petrie 269
blackflag 257
Noema 256
AJanitor 253
HisshouBuraiKen 249
SquiddyCracker 228
MrOogieBoogie 225
DarthWufei 220
highluxury 210
M_Night 196
Nelo Ice 188
msdstc 175
God Dayumm 159
ILoveBish 154
Pete Rock 142
moocow 139
Psychotext 138
rage1973 138
Zoe 136
Mark1 126
BronzeWolf 124
Veezy 119
A More Normal Bird 116
velociraptor 114
Visceir 113
kevo_huevo 112
BlueScrote 110
Oblivion 110
fredrancour 101

.....fuck I've turned in to a full on gym/fit-rat!

Sadetar

Stevia doesn't affect me like that but i'[ve heard artificial sugars in general do that to some people. Stevia is a staple for me.
Good to hear! Thanks for the input. :D

I haven't really noticed anything but some of my friends have been warning be about sweeteners. It just makes my daily quark so much better since without it it tends to be a bit too bitter for my taste. Also there is like million delicious tastes in liquid stevias and I have tried only couple of them yet. :p

Sadetar

220 is way more than I thought. I really don't post as much here as I used to.

Cooter you chatterbox, a chatterbox full of useful information.
Well, you are a busy little bee. :p We all miss you when you aren't here though.

I'm curious to try Stevia as well, I've never had it before.

Also, I'm 169.8 before going to the gym! We're in the 160s!
I really like it. It adds sweetness and a small tiny bit of taste to my breakfast when I put it to my quark.

This has been my favourite this far. It was on a discount when I bought it though.
I have generally liked iHerb and if you want a code to get a discount if you haven't ordered from there before, you can always send me a pm and give me a sweet little credit for using my code. ^_^

I generally like the flavoured ones more than the basic one and I prefer liquid ones. It totally depend where you are planning to use it though. I am sure you can find the ones you really like. Also those glass bottles are in a long run nicer, easier and cleaner to use compared to the plastic ones.

At the moment I am dreaming about the English toffee flavour.

sphinx

the piano man
I fell a bit bad that I am 6th place and I don't know that much about anything, to be honest.

I am a bit addicted to gaf and this community I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom