• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Man leg day is proving to be a total bear due to my internship, where I am hiking trails of varying difficulty for about 6-8 miles every day. I can't afford being sore and it's hurting the shit out of any progress for the workouts. Any ideas on what to do? I'm running Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine 3x/week.

blackflag

Pffft, this is the weight room thread and always will be to me personally, but if you want to talk about something else I don't remember anyone saying that you cannot.

I agree with this. I mean people can come talk about running and whatever. But the honest truth is they aren't going to get much response or help. Calling this the "fitness" thread is a bit of a misnomer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Splitting" our base is weird but I see merit in it, but at the same time, we all like to learn more about all fitness in general. I'm torn. If we had to split or if we did, I'd vote for "Lifting-GAF"

blackflag

I was going to ask, it seems from the talk here and anecdotal report from my lifting buddy that the ephedra is used primarily for its appetite suppressant effects more so than as a stimulant.

This is another reason I have yet to totally drop my nicotine levels in my e-cigarette juices to zero, I vape it from the point of waking up until right before my first meal at 2pm, then a bit more between work and home, and then I cut it off at 4pm, right before I go to the gym.

The half life of nicotine in the body is around two hours so an hour into my workout it has all been metabolized, which is important as it constricts your blood vessels and raises your blood pressure. Which is the exact opposite of what I want at the end of the workout, into my feeding window and off to sleep. Thankfully I have something else to swing things the opposite way, expanding my blood vessels and relaxing my blood pressure!

Appetite suppressant is just a small part of what it does.

But that is not inclusive of CrossFit-GAF D"

hurtyourbackGAF

wat

200mg c + 20mg e
wait 4 hours
200mg c + 20mg e
wait 4 hours
200mg c + 20mg e

It's as simple as can be

From my research, and correct me if I am wrong, you can't just get ephedrine in the states. You need to buy some sort of allergy medicine that has ephedrine in it. And that you need to monitor your potassium levels among other things. If it was like how it was before the ban, I would definitely try it. Now, I just don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the proper EC stack going.

MjFrancis

The opportunity for the thread to remain inclusive is a plus. Even the practice of weightlifting can be surprisingly different both in motive and execution. To the uninitiated, Brolic Gaoler and DarthWufei are doing the same thing. Regulars of the thread know better, and it's fucking awesome that we can include both to everyone's benefit.

Subjects like running, bodyweight calisthenics and yoga are brought up less frequently, but when an informed or expert opinion is cited or given, I'm all ears. And we never shut up about nutrition - there are all sorts of different methods used by everyone in here.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The opportunity for the thread to remain inclusive is a plus. Even the practice of weightlifting can be surprisingly different both in motive and execution. To the uninitiated, Brolic Gaoler and DarthWufei are doing the same thing. Regulars of the thread know better, and it's fucking awesome that we can include both to everyone's benefit.

Subjects like running, bodyweight calisthenics and yoga are brought up less frequently, but when an informed or expert opinion is cited or given, I'm all ears. And we never shut up about nutrition - there are all sorts of different methods used by everyone in here.
Seconded. We have this discussion at the end of every OT. I say keep it Fitness.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fitness it is then, I got my Muscle Appreciation OT shuffled away. Muscle Shaming again! IT ALWAYS STRIKES

Pete Rock

I can't afford being sore and it's hurting the shit out of any progress for the workouts. Any ideas on what to do?
I would suggest investing in SMR tools and adopting a process where you utilize them to their fullest extent at least once a day. I find a combination of these tools and various yoga flows to be incredibly helpful for recovery and feeling refreshed each day.

hurtyourbackGAF
From my research, and correct me if I am wrong, you can't just get ephedrine in the states. You need to buy some sort of allergy medicine that has ephedrine in it. And that you need to monitor your potassium levels among other things. If it was like how it was before the ban, I would definitely try it. Now, I just don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the proper EC stack going.

You are correct, but its actually asthma meds, not allergy. I use primatene which you can get OTC at walmart. It's just got some expectorant crap in it, it'll give you a runny nose if you have a cold and that's about it. Never heard the part about potassium, but being on a diet we want to make sure we get enough potassium and other minerals anyways. I would say just check your blood pressure and if it's ok you're probably fine, but of course I'm no doctor.

The real issues came with the herbals (ephedra) which you had no way of knowing the amount of active ingredient (ephedrine) in each dose, and it could vary wildly from one pill to the next since it's made from bark and obviously bark is not uniform.

What're you using for yohimbine? I plan to try it out myself in a month or so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with this. I mean people can come talk about running and whatever. But the honest truth is they aren't going to get much response or help. Calling this the "fitness" thread is a bit of a misnomer.

Some amount of strength training is really the basis for all physical activity in my mind, so I don't know if it's a misnomer.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man, watching these two videos (1 w/o straps & 1 with) of my failed 565 DL yesterday pisses me the fuck off. I'm determined to do this shit now. Probably add some hammy/glute assistance work and lower my squat volume for a while. Although maybe I'll start that after I get a 2.5bw squat (470). I'm fairly confident with rest I can get that up right now. Decisions decisions. I will say, it's nice to have some tangible goals again. :)

SeanR1221

I've been in a squat funk.

Yesterday's sessions was crappy. The reps didn't feel solid and I just felt imbalanced and weak.

Anyone remember a couple months ago I posted a video of 250x8? Most here thought it looked good but I posted on that powerlifting Facebook group and it just got decimated by some guys. I've been psyching myself out ever since that day. Experimenting with stances and sitting back more.

Problem is, that's made everything go to shit. I'm wobbly, especially when trying to force
More of a sit back because I'm afraid my knees are tracking too far over my toes.

So now I'm putting up less weight and it's sloppier. I'm just in a funk. I feel like I need to go back to what I was doing.

For reference here's the video that got picked apart.

http://youtu.be/3Dmf7f-c2gw

Yesterday's sessions was crappy. The reps didn't feel solid and I just felt imbalanced and weak.

Anyone remember a couple months ago I posted a video of 250x8? Most here thought it looked good but I posted on that powerlifting Facebook group and it just got decimated by some guys. I've been psyching myself out ever since that day. Experimenting with stances and sitting back more.

Problem is, that's made everything go to shit. I'm wobbly, especially when trying to force
More of a sit back because I'm afraid my knees are tracking too far over my toes.

So now I'm putting up less weight and it's sloppier. I'm just in a funk. I feel like I need to go back to what I was doing.

I'm curious, what complaints did they have with your form? For my own educational purposes.

It's a 2 month one. Plus he got junior'd anyway, so he can't make the new thread.

Poor Squids. How the mods gonna do him raw like that?

RoeBear

I never caught this link but I instantly noticed how far your knees were in front of you. I wouldn't suggest going back to this just to get more weight on the bar.

sphinx

the piano man

"Splitting" our base is weird but I see merit in it, but at the same time, we all like to learn more about all fitness in general. I'm torn. If we had to split or if we did, I'd vote for "Lifting-GAF"

Seconded. We have this discussion at the end of every OT. I say keep it Fitness.

we are what we are and people know how this community rolls, like cooter says' this very topic appeared at the end of OT5 and we concluded we couldn't do anything to help it being BB/Strength centered, that's what most regulars care about.

I am not saying it's right like that, it's just that's how it is,

if someone asks whether it's better to swim or to do bicycle to get a better physical condition, that's a legitimate fitness question but one that is extremely likely to go unanswered because that's not what the overwhelming majority of the people in this thread cares and (more importantly), knows about. It simply isn't in the area of interest of regulars here.

like Mjfrancis says, I always like to learn about new things and types of fitness ideologies and welcome everyone but I shouldn´t wonder if anyone with that kind of new knowledge comes, posts a couple of times and then disappears forever...:( can't blame them.

I really like this title. It's inclusive and Fucking true.

Just put this pic in the OP and call it a day lol

TVnvr8F.jpg

I never caught this link but I instantly noticed how far your knees were in front of you. I wouldn't suggest going back to this just to get more weight on the bar.

Just a quick hack-job I put together in Paint. Anyway, I am certainly no expert on squats, but to me, his knees look about the same as this diagram from Starting Strength. Am I just not looking at it clearly enough or am I missing something else? Asking this for my own education more than anything.

blackflag

hurtyourbackGAF

It's literally as easy as this. Go to walgreens pharmacy. Ask for primatine. Give them I'd sign e form. Buy it and go home.

Dunno what you talking about potassium levels.

SeanR1221

I'm curious, what complaints did they have with your form? For my own educational purposes.

Poor Squids. How the mods gonna do him raw like that?

Mostly calling it sloppy, saying how much work it needs and I have to sit back more.

It's not even an ego thing, it's a I'm completely unstable trying it in different ways thing.

For example, I was doing singles at 245, which by all rights should be "easy" at this point. I got pinned on the one and had to lower it down to the safety bars, which has never happened before. I tried sitting back more, got way too wobbly, and ended up falling forward.

It's literally as easy as this. Go to walgreens pharmacy. Ask for primatine. Give them I'd sign e form. Buy it and go home.

Dunno what you talking about potassium levels.

Ephedrine can lower blood potassium levels putting you at risk for heart palpitations if your potassium intake is too low. Just one of the concerns I saw while researching.

You are correct, but its actually asthma meds, not allergy. I use primatene which you can get OTC at walmart. It's just got some expectorant crap in it, it'll give you a runny nose if you have a cold and that's about it. Never heard the part about potassium, but being on a diet we want to make sure we get enough potassium and other minerals anyways. I would say just check your blood pressure and if it's ok you're probably fine, but of course I'm no doctor.

The real issues came with the herbals (ephedra) which you had no way of knowing the amount of active ingredient (ephedrine) in each dose, and it could vary wildly from one pill to the next since it's made from bark and obviously bark is not uniform.

What're you using for yohimbine? I plan to try it out myself in a month or so.

Bronkaid was the one I was thinking of. Haven't heard of primatene.

I just use Primal Force yohimbine. Supposedly you are suppose to get a stim boost out of it but it does nothing for me in that regard.

sphinx

the piano man

what did those guys in the FB group say? what's wrong with it? I am really curious.

I suspect they want you to "sit" more and have a more straight back? honestly, I wouldn't be able to give proper advice here, I lack the expertise to suggest changes in this squat. it looked very much ok to me.

EDIT: yay, I just saw your post and got it right :) but calling it sloppy? c,mon it's not perfect but it's o.k,

Matugi

I think the issue is two part: one, they're probably judging you based on low-bar form, because that's the position you've got the bar set, and two, well, you're doing high bar squats with low bar positioning. With low-bar you've got to move your hips and butt back first before going down. Ideally, your knees don't extend past your toes and you don't get a butt wink. With high-bar, you basically drop straight down like a goblet squat or a front squat, and your knees will go past your toes. If you just moved the bar up onto your traps I'd think you'd have a fine high-bar squat.

SeanR1221

Matugi, I definitely see what you're saying. Here's what I feel the problem is...

So sitting back at my current stance feels uncomfortable

So I widened my stance.

It's easier to sit back but now it's really difficult to hit parallel. I'm reminded of an article that I read how squat foot stance can be different depending on how your hips are formed.

I guess the alternative is force myself to take the wider stance and just constantly work on my flexibility.

blackflag

Ephedrine can lower blood potassium levels putting you at risk for heart palpitations if your potassium intake is too low. Just one of the concerns I saw while researching.

Bronkaid was the one I was thinking of. Haven't heard of primatene.

I just use Primal Force yohimbine. Supposedly you are suppose to get a stim boost out of it but it does nothing for me in that regard.

Yohimbine doesn't really do anything unless you take it while fasted and do cardio

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there such a thing as too much stretching?

Preparing to share updated workout schedule as travelling is done for forseeable future

Sure, there is. It can tire our your muscles before you get to the real exercise, preventing you from achieving peak performance.

rage1973

Man, watching these two videos (1 w/o straps & 1 with) of my failed 565 DL yesterday pisses me the fuck off. I'm determined to do this shit now. Probably add some hammy/glute assistance work and lower my squat volume for a while. Although maybe I'll start that after I get a 2.5bw squat (470). I'm fairly confident with rest I can get that up right now. Decisions decisions. I will say, it's nice to have some tangible goals again. :)

What's your current 1rm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom