• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

Okay I lied, I didn't do an hour and a half, but my tummy hurts.

I did do one of the more difficult workouts I own though, 35 minutes, and didn't quite make it through (could have been tummy pain or just general lack of fitness, but had to pause once or twice).

But I am a mess:

dnJ4eDHl.jpg

I hope I sacrificed enough to the workout gods for tonight.

As I feared, muscle shaming out there in the world.

#swoleacceptance brahs

I'm all for starting a swole acceptance movement.

I did do one of the more difficult workouts I own though, 35 minutes, and didn't quite make it through (could have been tummy pain or just general lack of fitness, but had to pause once or twice).

But I am a mess:

McFlurries are totally worth it though, especially if you got a Butterfinger one. Anyway, the workout will get less painful overtime if you stick to it. I may have missed this, but is it a P90X-style workout you're doing?

Ashodin

But I am a mess:

SO FIERCE

But I am a mess:

Woot, keep it up. You can do it! :D

Leeness

If you don't have to pause every now and then, you are probably doing it wrong.

Keep it up!

Hnnnng. I used to be able to finish the full thing haha. One day I will be able to again.

McFlurries are totally worth it though, especially if you got a Butterfinger one. Anyway, the workout will get less painful overtime if you stick to it. I may have missed this, but is it a P90X-style workout you're doing?

It was a Rolo one. Yum. But no. Lol.

Kind of! Circuit training. I did Level 2 of this one and it kiiiiiiills me.

SO FIERCE

Woot, keep it up. You can do it! :D

Thaaaanks! Motivate! :D

Sadetar

You should be proud! :) that's awesome.
Yep, this far I am very happy with myself. Also my co-worker asked me today that have I been working out lately like a madman and that it definitely shows. Victory!

But I am a mess:

A sexy mess I may add. :p

Good work sweetie pie!

Snatch grip high pulls are truth, nothing makes my traps and upper back scream the next day like that lift does. I've only been doing them for three or so months but already I have some nice "yoke" development happening. This is from someone with very average trap genetics.

Just make sure you grip the bar as wide as you can.

Never done this until reading you and muntersaur talk about it them just then. Tried them last night, was good (or bad, depending on your perspective).

ILoveBish

Does anyone have links to cooters and everyone elses routine that got posted a while back? Im thinking of switching to a 2-week accessory program where i do different lifts for the accessories for 2 weeks before repeating them, to get a wider range of lifts and to also stop the progression of the same lift every week going up in weight so quickly and killing me (even tho i am still hitting my reps, i wouldnt mind slowing it down some).

Wanted to gleen some ideas about what accessories everyone is doing.

despire

Does anyone have links to cooters and everyone elses routine that got posted a while back? Im thinking of switching to a 2-week accessory program where i do different lifts for the accessories for 2 weeks before repeating them, to get a wider range of lifts and to also stop the progression of the same lift every week going up in weight so quickly and killing me (even tho i am still hitting my reps, i wouldnt mind slowing it down some).

Wanted to gleen some ideas about what accessories everyone is doing.

Cooter:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93957574&postcount=8175

Veezy:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111620152&postcount=18099

sphinx

the piano man
Unfortunately, it is.

I can't seem to follow this side-conversation in the thread.

.- Grumble suggested the topic line for OT7 should be more inclusive and not only for bodybuilders or strength trainers.
.- Matugi somehow interpreted that comment like the many selfies and progress pics we have put are somehow bad or intimidating for newcomers. (?)
.- Vince talks about muscle shaming and that it's real
.- Pakoe concurs

I must be misunderstanding something here, I don't get the logic going from Grumble's post to Matugi's interpretation and then everything that follows.

I had the best FitDream ast night. I know no one cares about other peoples' dreams etc but I thought it was pretty funny.

In this dream my wife and I were travelling for work, and the only place we could work out was planet fitness.

First, they wouldn't let me use the dip belt because they felt it was dangerous and the manager said they were just for show. Then someone was doing pushups in the squat rack. Finally they kicked me out for doing pullups with a 40lb dumbbell locked between my knees, which was also the heaviest one they had.

At this point it switched to a documentary-style where the manager said he was disappointed because he could tell we wanted to join a good gym but it just wasn't going to work.

Then it switched to me and I said, "They're not a gym!" and I flipped the camera off and walked away.

In real-life news, I'm hungry. Also I know it's late but I'm planning to enter Reddit's 12-week Body Transformation Fitness Challenge - http://reddit.com/r/BTFC - in the cutting category (there's bulking and fat loss as well, check it out)

Any other FitGAFers wanna sign up too? We could have a little mini-competition amongst ourselves, just as another way to keep everyone on the straight and narrow during this, the critical season of beachgoing.

I think muscle-shaming can be broken down into three basic patterns:
Everyone bigger/stronger than you is on roids
Everyone smaller/weaker than you is DYEL
Anyone exactly the same size as you is a poor, sad soul just spinning their wheels and if only they'd try your routine they'd be doing so much better.

EDIT: Are we suggesting topic names already? I feel like BroScience needs to be represented since it really took off in this thread

Fitness |OT7| BroTips, Burning in the cuts, and Ghost-busting

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still not getting the ghost references. Anyone care to explain?

This OT is haunted by the Fit-GAF Ghost.

The Ghost causes injuries and other problems. It could be bad form, for all we know, or bad luck, but we're attributing it to the haunted OT.

MjFrancis

My son has been very helpful in getting me to add some more accessory work. I put the ab wheel in the living room and so most days of the week little Francis Jr. grabs that thing and shoves it in my face saying "ab wheel, dada, ab wheel" and he makes me bang out 50 - 100 reps while he laughs and plays with it between sets. He thinks I'm pretending to be a motorcycle. My midsection has been sore all week, occasionally even cramping up. And before anyone thinks I'm actually good at the ab wheel rollout, I'm volunteering that I still do them on my knees.

That being said, I've been spinning my wheels for quite some time now. Perpetual undertraining, undersleeping, undereating and overworking. After a while you look at your training logs and just think, what the fuck am I doing? Rather than use any of these excuses as a crutch to fall back on and whine about my failures, I'm more interested in making the necessary changes and figuring out how to make a livable schedule given how busy life gets.

Pete Rock

I had the best FitDream ast night. I know no one cares about other peoples' dreams etc but I thought it was pretty funny.
Awww, I care about them brah. Care Bear stare, chase your dreams! ^.^

Everyone smaller/weaker than you is DYEL
Anyone exactly the same size as you is a poor, sad soul just spinning their wheels and if only they'd try your routine they'd be doing so much better.
Reverse muscle shaming, the true dark side. Don't give in to negativity, rise up and stay positive!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fit-Friend FallingEdge and I had a discussion about being fat and big. It made me feel better. I get so upset with my friends when I see a cool strong dude and they say he's fat. I want to throw them.

Chocobro

I saw the clip from Jason's original video of the meet but god damn...thin teenage girl deadlifts ~172kg (I heard 170.5kg in the original video before the pull, but [shrugs]). She's around 16 years old and probably 50kg tops.

Jason Blaha's comment on YouTube: she set a couple female teen federation records that day. Her entire family powerlifts that was her father coaching her I believe, and her younger brother was also one of the teen lifters. 

Booties

Banned
I ran out of protein powder and my next batch is coming in later than I expected (tomorrow). I can feel my muscles shrinking and fat increasing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fit-Friend FallingEdge and I had a discussion about being fat and big. It made me feel better. I get so upset with my friends when I see a cool strong dude and they say he's fat. I want to throw them.

It's best to simply accept the fat. For instance, I know I'm fat, but I also know a shit talker fits my macros.

My son has been very helpful in getting me to add some more accessory work. I put the ab wheel in the living room and so most days of the week little Francis Jr. grabs that thing and shoves it in my face saying "ab wheel, dada, ab wheel" and he makes me bang out 50 - 100 reps while he laughs and plays with it between sets. He thinks I'm pretending to be a motorcycle. My midsection has been sore all week, occasionally even cramping up. And before anyone thinks I'm actually good at the ab wheel rollout, I'm volunteering that I still do them on my knees.

That being said, I've been spinning my wheels for quite some time now. Perpetual undertraining, undersleeping, undereating and overworking. After a while you look at your training logs and just think, what the fuck am I doing? Rather than use any of these excuses as a crutch to fall back on and whine about my failures, I'm more interested in making the necessary changes and figuring out how to make a livable schedule given how busy life gets.

I use mine a lot too, the other day I actually had a random and crippling cramp in my upper left ab muscle. Shit sucked baaaad.

Everyone spins their wheels every now and again. You will get here bud.

Matugi

EC stack got me sweating inside my house with the AC on.

Still going strong. Don't think I'm super sensitive to the stim effects (probably from drinking buttloads of coffee over the past year) so that's good

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
EC stack got me sweating inside my house with the AC on.

Still going strong. Don't think I'm super sensitive to the stim effects (probably from drinking buttloads of coffee over the past year) so that's good

Been considering this since you picked it up. I remember those feelings - I was on something similar in my early 20s (mid 30s now) and it made my heart go bananas and I'd eat salads with my hands I was so ravenous. That was also when I assaulted an employee of mine which was no good. So I'm a little hesitant.

Jhriad

I can't seem to follow this side-conversation in the thread.

.- Grumble suggested the topic line for OT7 should be more inclusive and not only for bodybuilders or strength trainers.

Probably agree with this. The thread as it is isn't so much a general fitness thread as it is a bodybuilding/strength training thread. That's probably more due to the fact that anyone doing other things gets scared off by the lack of similar content in the thread though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Probably agree with this. The thread as it is isn't so much a general fitness thread as it is a bodybuilding/strength training thread. That's probably more due to the fact that anyone doing other things gets scared off by the lack of similar content in the thread though.

Strong people have louder voices and are taken more seriously than cardio brahs

Oh god let's do this

The Great War of OT7

Muscle vs Conditioning

LETS DO THIS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_JNTCNH2k

Real talk I understand it feels more muscle-focused as opposed to general fitness, and I don't know of how to make it even out - the musclebrahs in here all feed off of each other and have constant updates, people who do more general fitness don't yak as much as musclebrahs do, but we are welcoming to all

I tried the EC stack for a few weeks last year before the summer started. I stopped taking it because I didn't want it to interfere with my Jack3d (old formula). Gave me the same feeling as being on Ripped Fuel (before they removed the E).

Those pills freak me out now. They would no doubt shred me up but ill never forget one time in my school cafeteria I just started sweating, heart was beating rapidly and felt dizzy about 20 minutes after I took a dosage.

Not sure if they actually burn more calories or if they just make you not want to eat.

Matugi

I tried the EC stack for a few weeks last year before the summer started. I stopped taking it because I didn't want it to interfere with my Jack3d (old formula). Gave me the same feeling as being on Ripped Fuel (before they removed the E).

Those pills freak me out now. They would no doubt shred me up but ill never forget one time in my school cafeteria I just started sweating, heart was beating rapidly and felt dizzy about 20 minutes after I took a dosage.

Not sure if they actually burn more calories or if they just make you not want to eat.

It'll do both. Caffeine is a strong appetite suppressant, as is ephedrine, and obviously there are synergistic contraindictions at play. Ephedrine is also a potent thermogen.

For those of you who want to take it, it's really up to you. Like I said, I have a pretty high tolerance to stimulants because of my caffeine dependence so as of right now I'm not getting much of a buzz. The appetite suppression is definitely real though. I haven't eaten in 5 hours and I'm not even hungry.

Pete Rock

I was going to ask, it seems from the talk here and anecdotal report from my lifting buddy that the ephedra is used primarily for its appetite suppressant effects more so than as a stimulant.

This is another reason I have yet to totally drop my nicotine levels in my e-cigarette juices to zero, I vape it from the point of waking up until right before my first meal at 2pm, then a bit more between work and home, and then I cut it off at 4pm, right before I go to the gym.

The half life of nicotine in the body is around two hours so an hour into my workout it has all been metabolized, which is important as it constricts your blood vessels and raises your blood pressure. Which is the exact opposite of what I want at the end of the workout, into my feeding window and off to sleep. Thankfully I have something else to swing things the opposite way, expanding my blood vessels and relaxing my blood pressure!

MjFrancis

I use mine a lot too, the other day I actually had a random and crippling cramp in my upper left ab muscle. Shit sucked baaaad.

Everyone spins their wheels every now and again. You will get here bud.
I stretched my arms this morning and the cramps just came raining down on my abs. My son is a brutal coach, lol. And thank you for the good words, Brolic.

Also, regarding the EC stack talk - if you're going to jump into that, start off with a half dose of ephedra and maybe even a half dose of caffeine if you are sensitive to that sort of thing. If you're going to intentionally raise your blood pressure, heart rate and body temperature for the sake of burning a little more fat dip your toes in the pool before jumping in headfirst. Ephedra got banned because one too many people started popping the stack like candy while consuming barely more than a supermodel's diet of coke, cigarettes and coffee on top of HIIT.

Jhriad

Real talk I understand it feels more muscle-focused as opposed to general fitness, and I don't know of how to make it even out - the musclebrahs in here all feed off of each other and have constant updates, people who do more general fitness don't yak as much as musclebrahs do, but we are welcoming to all

I don't know that the thread will even out without folks that are using different exercise regimens speaking up on a regular basis. Some of those other routines have their own threads as well (P90x has one doesn't it?) so it's harder to get them to contribute here. Couldn't hurt to make the thread title more inclusive to reflect how welcoming the thread participants are to all of FitGAF. I like the thread specific humor too though. *shrug*

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of a new thread, is there a rule that is has to be made in community? It would be cool if we could put it in Off-Topic and perhaps get some new people who may not ever venture into the Community forum.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
On the topic of a new thread, is there a rule that is has to be made in community? It would be cool if we could put it in Off-Topic and perhaps get some new people who may not ever venture into the Community forum.
It used to be but the powers that be decided it belonged here.

Fitness |OT7| Come for the advice, stay for the swelfies

Fitness |OT7| We're all Brolic's inmates

Fitness |OT7| Bulk, cut, or maintain. Pick a side!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We're Community, it's best to roll with it. Community OT has the best threads anyway. Best people. Community-GAF are good folks. Except the ACTUAL Community OT for that shitty TV show.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It used to be but the powers that be decided it belonged here.

Fitness |OT7| Come for the advice, stay for the swelfies

Fitness |OT7| We're all Brolic's inmates

Fitness |OT7| Bulk, cut, or maintain. Pick a side!

I damn near shot eggs and rice all over my tablet. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom