• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That is one good looking dog. They're so cute.

Well, today I attempt my 3x bw DL. Won't lie, I'm a little nervous but I like it because that means I care. 565 just sounds so freakin heavy. Here's my plan of attack.

5x225
3x275
2x365
1x455
1x565

Total superficial thing but am I the only one who starts with their shirts tight(ish) around their arms and then it stretches out and looks kind of bad by the end of the day? It's annoying and happens with all my 100% Cotton shirts.

The only alternatives are where a cotton poly blend (which I prefer how soft 100% Cotton is)
Or wear large instead of extra large but I don't like how tight large fits in my chest and back.

I really like the tight fit when I'm working out so I go with compression tops. No worries about stretching (or sweating).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
bring your dog over so our dogs can play

does your dog always stand like that, paws out? I got some comments about this ridiculous pic of mine doing the opposite:
eVcNJID.jpg

Yes I realize this has turned into Dog-GAF but it fits
m10XzGl.jpg

You are perfect just the way you are ;_; <3

Not feeling well and super tired but still going to do 20 minutes when I get home. Fuck it.

<3 always room for improvement though!

I think Stevie P reccomends a 5x3. Keep it heavy and use straps.

I need to start doing them again.

I do 5 sets of 3-5 reps. Pick a weight then start out doing 3 reps, then over time as you get stronger 4 reps then 5 reps. Then I up the weight go back to 3 reps and start the cycle again. This is what works for me.

I remember that t-nation article mentioning that for most males form goes out the window when trying to go above 5 reps. That's certainly true for me.

Sounds good. Cut or not, I will be dedicated to do them and stick with it.

sphinx

the piano man
cute dogs everywhere!

hey bros, this guy discovered a trick to get a 6-Pack in just 3 seconds!! it's a secret that was recently discovered in an ancient papyrus in Rom from the times of the empire!

abs_zpsb8a61c13.gif

Personal Trainers HATE HIM!!!

Cudder

Impressive numbers for only half a year.

You might try looking into Strong Lifts 5x5. I stalled on SS for a few months and decided to give it a go. Did a huge deload and got started myself last Saturday.

Definitely worth looking into, and since you're a fast gainer, I think you might do well on it. It's free, has a good website and smartphone app, and a pretty large group of people on the program.

Just read up on SL 5x5. To be honest it sounds like something I'd really want to do. Going from a modified SS routine, I have no clue how much more strength I'd be able to wring out of another routine though. I mean I do 3x5 on main lifts once a week now, and I've pretty much maxed out my squat, bench, and OHP. I'm guessing I'd actually lift LESS if I had to do 5x5?

Pete Rock

That is perfect, I look like that after I eat every time, bloated like a fuckin' whale... then you flex those guts hard and BOOSH lol

rage1973

Well, today I attempt my 3x bw DL. Won't lie, I'm a little nervous but I like it because that means I care. 565 just sounds so freakin heavy. Here's my plan of attack.

5x225
3x275
2x365
1x455
1x565

GL Cooter.
Don't forget to take the video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just read up on SL 5x5. To be honest it sounds like something I'd really want to do. Going from a modified SS routine, I have no clue how much more strength I'd be able to wring out of another routine though. I mean I do 3x5 on main lifts once a week now, and I've pretty much maxed out my squat, bench, and OHP. I'm guessing I'd actually lift LESS if I had to do 5x5?

I'm hoping to find out in a couple of weeks when I work my way back up to where I was on SS. I'm hoping that I'll blow past those old plateaus, but that could just be wishful thinking.

I do like the workout breakdown, though.

A:
Squats (add 5 lbs. each session)
Bench (add 5 lbs. each session)
Rows (add 5 lbs. each session)

B:
Squats (add 5 lbs. each session)
Press (add 5 lbs. each session)
Deadlift (add 10 lbs. each session)

It's a nice slow, but steady progression and I think the exercise combination and order really works well for me so far, at least.

Props brotherjackdood. Real solid development in the traps and everywhere else for that matter. Keep it up!

Thanks! I wish I gained mass as quick as you - you've made some incredible progress recently!

What is your set/rep scheme for the snatch grip high pulls? Since I'm concerned about size, I'm thinking 12 reps, sets of 4. Or is this wrong?

I would not do above 5 reps for snatch grip high pulls. It is an explosive exercise and should be done as forcefully as possible. After five reps it is very tiring even with quite a light weight, and it is heavy weight which will give you the mass gains.

Personally, I do either 8 sets of 2 or 3 twice a week. They can be done quite regularly as they are easy to recover from.

Actually, I think your entire build and muscle shape is very similar to Tom Hardy.

Thanks - I aim to achieve the muscle mass of his Bronson build but be leaner. I think it is important to try and find someone who has achieved with a similar to build to oneself to be able to set realistic targets.

Chocobro

b...b...but... two 1/2 corgis should be just as good as one!

i just love having an excuse to post dog pics, sorry for getting off topic lol

You dogs are actually my second favorite! I just don't want to rank everyone's dogs and hurt anyone.
But boy, doggies everywhere :3

Sadetar

I think I have similar trap genetics to Tom Hardy. They have always grown without any effort (although I have been doing snatch grip high pulls for about a year). They are certainly my favourite aspect of my physique.
This sounds so very wrong but I mean it in the best possible way - you look like sex on legs.

b...b...but... two 1/2 corgis should be just as good as one!

i just love having an excuse to post dog pics, sorry for getting off topic lol
These are absolutely adorable as well! Awwww. ^_^

bring your dog over so our dogs can play
This dog just looks like a sweetheart. <3

You are perfect just the way you are ;_; <3
I heartily agree with you there. ;p

I did iiiiiiit. Only 20 today cause I don't feel too good, but I did burpies for the first time in a while so... I'm wiped lol
Brilliant work honey! I needed to take 45 minutes nap after I got home from work and it was totally awful to get out of the bed and drag myself to the gym. I did manage to do my normal gym programme through though!

Spooky O_O
That is what the nurses always tell to me. I do agree it is extremely scary, especially when I never know how many tries they need to hit something.

Today was actually a nice change to that! I don't know how or why, but it seems that the adorable old lady managed to take the blood with the first try! Such a joy and made my day instantly better. :D

Leeness

<3 always room for improvement though!

<33333

Brilliant work honey! I needed to take 45 minutes nap after I got home from work and it was totally awful to get out of the bed and drag myself to the gym. I did manage to do my normal gym programme through though!

Congrats! What willpower! Once I get home from work, if I go down, I'm down for the night haha. So I don't even bother sitting down. Get in, get workout clothes, workout. Haha.

Hypereides

Gold Member
New proposition for next OT title:

|OT7| Peaks, perky behinds & clash of the trap lord and quadrasaures

Btw FitGAF dudes my first year of lifting comes full circle tomorrow! Will post a before and after. It's been one helluva journey thus far!

Much excite.

Got a Biology exam tomorrow aswell, alot of the information regarding working out could potentially come to use - depending on what question set I draw.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys i need your help - i get thise INTENSE pain my palm/forearm immediately AFTER i let go of the bar...

i did sone research online and i think it is forearm splints? has anyone experienced this and is there anything besides rest i can do to promote functioning ib that region? Super bummed out.. i was really close to being able to do a muscle up..

Matugi

For whatever reason 1 out of every 5 times I do front squats I end up pulling a muscle in my lat. Was excited to do 6x3 at 235 today after being plateaued at 225 for so long and after the first set I managed to pull a muscle in my right lat. I'm not sure if it was on the actual lift or when racking it, but it sucks. Not sure if is because I'm holding the bar too low or what.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bench is improved. Bicep pain is all but gone now. Was working on 355x5 when my grip slipped and had to dump it mid 4th rep. Won't ever bench without chalk again.

5x225
3x275
2x365
1x455
1x565

You got it bud, just remember, when that little voice in your head yells "it's too heavy" and your body screams against you, keep going, you've always got more in you. Remember that, and you will lock it out.

Also,for your approach I'd recommend this instead.

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3
455x1
495x1
530x1
565x1

With your plan of attack you're jumping 110lbs for a 1rm check. Your body might not be primed correctly. Just my 2 cents.

hey guys i need your help - i get thise INTENSE pain my palm/forearm immediately AFTER i let go of the bar...

i did sone research online and i think it is forearm splints? has anyone experienced this and is there anything besides rest i can do to promote functioning ib that region? Super bummed out.. i was really close to being able to do a muscle up..

Used to get this leave pressure on the bar and slightly release. Don't go from full pressure to releasing. Also look for what's tight in your arm/shoulder and mash the hell out of it.

Cooter

You got it bud, just remember, when that little voice in your head yells "it's too heavy" and your body screams against you, keep going, you've always got more in you. Remember that, and you will lock it out.

Also,for your approach I'd recommend this instead.

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3
455x1
495x1
530x1
565x1

With your plan of attack you're jumping 110lbs for a 1rm check. Your body might not be primed correctly. Just my 2 cents.
Wow. Really? I'm afraid that may fatigue me and take away from my attempt. I think I'll add a 495 before. You may be right about not being primed or accustomed to the load. Thanks for the input. Always appreciated.

grumble

New proposition for next OT title:

|OT7| Peaks, perky behinds & clash of the trap lord and quadrasaures

Btw FitGAF dudes my first year of lifting comes full circle tomorrow! Will post a before and after. It's been one helluva journey thus far!

Much excite.

Got a Biology exam tomorrow aswell, alot of the information regarding working out could potentially come to use - depending on what question set I draw.

Maybe something a bit less bodybuilding focused?

Sadetar

Congrats! What willpower! Once I get home from work, if I go down, I'm down for the night haha. So I don't even bother sitting down. Get in, get workout clothes, workout. Haha.
Hahah, that nearly happened to me actually. :p

It is awesome that you know what works for you and follow it! I wouldn't have been effective enough if I wouldn't have had the nap.

I am actually so proud of myself that the time that I have been able to go to gym (2,5 months and counting) I haven't yet skipped a day of my programme. This far I have managed to maintain 5 working out days a week (1 x pilates, 2 x gym, 2 x jogging). I motivate myself with the fact that I know I will feel better after I am done and that it is actually really good for me. I am easy, I know.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wow. Really? I'm afraid that may fatigue me and take away from my attempt. I think I'll add a 495 before. You may be right about not being primed or accustomed to the load. Thanks for the input. Always appreciated.

Absolutely. I just broke it down to you how I would set up for the attempt. No problem bud.

Cooter

Not even close. I've got some work to do or some weight to lose. Ha. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Leeness

Hahah, that nearly happened to me actually. :p

It is awesome that you know what works for you and follow it! I wouldn't have been effective enough if I wouldn't have had the nap.

I am actually so proud of myself that the time that I have been able to go to gym (2,5 months and counting) I haven't yet skipped a day of my programme. This far I have managed to maintain 5 working out days a week (1 x pilates, 2 x gym, 2 x jogging). I motivate myself with the fact that I know I will feel better after I am done and that it is actually really good for me. I am easy, I know.

You should be proud! :) that's awesome.

I don't feel great and I ate ice cream at work (boss was all I'M GETTING EVERYONE MCFLURRIES lol) so...I'm going to work out for like an hour and a half! Gonna hurt haha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He's referencing the last thirty or so pages of this thread which have basically been devoted to a barrage of selfies

Let's hope this doesn't turn into some muscle shaming rearing its ugly head.

Pete Rock

Pffft, this is the weight room thread and always will be to me personally, but if you want to talk about something else I don't remember anyone saying that you cannot.

Matugi

Pffft, this is the weight room thread and always will be to me personally, but if you want to talk about something else I don't remember anyone saying that you cannot.

It's because most of the active posters in here are firmly in the advanced to elite category for the compound lifts. However, most of us are more than willing to answer any and all questions related to anything fitness related.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Not even close. I've got some work to do or some weight to lose. Ha. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

It's not a race and you're already bull strong, personal goals are awesome to reach though!

I had to reset my squats after my knee injury, I'm a bit miffed but it's how shit goes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As I feared, muscle shaming out there in the world.

#swoleacceptance brahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom