• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heysoos

I've been following the Stronglifts 5x5 program, but my overhead press is really lacking. I'm at 115 right now. I finished my 5x5 set today, but honestly, if I increase my next workout to 120, I don't know if I can finish it off. What's a good accessory lift to get it better? I've read benching helps, but I'm already doing that. Anything else?

SeanR1221

I've been following the Stronglifts 5x5 program, but my overhead press is really lacking. I'm at 115 right now. I finished my 5x5 set today, but honestly, if I increase my next workout to 120, I don't know if I can finish it off. What's a good accessory lift to get it better? I've read benching helps, but I'm already doing that. Anything else?

I'd honestly just move to 3x5 and then 1x5 until you can only handle a 1x1.

Just my opinion.

115 5x5 for a beginner isn't bad at all!

Is this your first time stalling? If so just deload according to the program.

My wife decided she wanted to test her 1RMs. She got:

Squat: 185
Bench: 120
Deadlift: 175 (she hasn't been doing these as long)
OHP: TBD but she does 75x3 I think

Not bad for a working mom no? I am proud :)

Faiz

OHP plateus early on. Chances are good you aren't doing anything wrong and don't really need to be doing anything else, yet. Keep following the program. Go up to 120 as planned. If you can't get the reps, you can't get the reps. Try again next time. Reset when the program says (I think it's after three sessions of not hitting your reps? Two sessions? Can't recall).

The fact that you are hitting a plateu on OHP is both unsurprising and normal. When you find yourself unable to break through plateus after a couple cycles of resetting on all/most of your lifts - it may be time to look at an intermediate program instead.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Missed this. Fantastico. I can't wait to get back to deadlifts towards later this year.

And my traps and upper back are sore. Those snatch grip high pulls are no joke.

What a beautiful sight.

Nice, I like that hold at the end!

But you made quite an entrance. Fun watching you DL. Keep it rolling!

Damn man your vids always get me pumped for deadlift days. I want a pair of those deadlift socks but I fear I am not bad ass enough

WOW Highluxory that some goooood stuff right there

Thanks guys!

Heysoos

Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

I'd honestly just move to 3x5 and then 1x5 until you can only handle a 1x1.

Just my opinion.

115 5x5 for a beginner isn't bad at all!

Is this your first time stalling? If so just deload according to the program.

OHP plateus early on. Chances are good you aren't doing anything wrong and don't really need to be doing anything else, yet. Keep following the program. Go up to 120 as planned. If you can't get the reps, you can't get the reps. Try again next time. Reset when the program says (I think it's after three sessions of not hitting your reps? Two sessions? Can't recall).

The fact that you are hitting a plateu on OHP is both unsurprising and normal. When you find yourself unable to break through plateus after a couple cycles of resetting on all/most of your lifts - it may be time to look at an intermediate program instead.

Yeah, was just rereading the section, mentions 3 in a row. I'll do that for now. My other lifts are progressing really well, it's only my OHP where I'm struggling a lot more. Thanks again. I'll just keep following what the plan recommends.

Leeness

Nonsense. Its a question of basic thermodynamics. Few people are actually constrained by their genetics. The same laws of losing weight applies to everybody.

What does your diet consist of?

J9zRjSml.jpg

cXDqcojl.jpg

fqTLu2jl.jpg

Edit: oops, just realized that something in dinner is cut off. Still the same calories but there is some ricotta cheese missing from the pictures.

This is a typical day generally, though I normally have a salad for lunch. I just had too much of the beef around and needed to eat more that day lol. I also don't put on there the milk that goes into tea, I have a small glass (like 1/4 cup) of wine most nights, etc.

But yeah, exercise seems to be more important for me than diet. Basically anything I eat is against me haha. I once gained ten pounds in a month by...eating salads and carrots. Lol. I also did the starving myself thing in highschool and only ate an apple and a couple carrots all day (like 200 cals) for months and now I know that it would have just maintained because...starving. But I also managed to gain weight on 200 cals a day lol

Basically for me, calories in = gonna gain weight and I have to work out enough that it gets rid of anything I eat. Which is why I don't think I'll lose anything in three months because I don't have time to work out two hours a day like I used to when I was losing weight, I'm just hoping I can tighten up my flabby ass stomach a bit haha. Even like an inch off my stomach in three months would be great.

***STAGE 1: COMPLETE***

LEVEL UP:

+STR!
+INT!
+STA!
+VIT!

Hello Gents!

So my first year of lifting has come to an end, and its been a helluva journey thus far.

The collected locks are actually from my gym by gymfolks who have abandoned them. Sorta a habit I picked up along the way.
I've Traversed through many days of lifting, distance sprinting on a vacant soccer field by midnight. Regardless of weather conditions; snow, rain, freezing cold temperatures, winds and storms.

Also managed to sign up for Kendo midway!

Progression:

2013:

June : Weight 72 Kg

N7wsecn.jpg

November: Weight 87,8 Kg

2014:

June: Weight 73 Kg

gHL7Wk4.jpg

Pardon the unkept hair, drowzy look and sloppy pose. It was early morning when the photos were taken. As a bonus, I'm wearing the same briefs as in the 2013 photos for better comparison.

I went from a trouser size of 36 to a size 29 (currently)! Prior to the beginning of this journey it was actually 30!

Current weight statistics:

1RM:

Squat: 125 Kg
Deadlift: 140 Kg
Overhead press: 57,5 Kg
Bench press: 87,5 Kg
Powerclean: 30 Kg - (60 Kg*)
Back extensions: 60 Kg

*=reset

Weight statistics:

Period: June 4th 2013 - June 4th 2014

E4aMWh2.jpg

Pardon the lack of registered weight data between June 4th and November 17th 2013. I didn't seriously track my weight untill my cut late november.

I want to tell you guys that I really appreciate your help fitgaf. I still remember the time I hit 1 plate bench 3x5 and Sean asked if I shouted "lightweight baby! wooo!" when I broke the plateau. Brolic consistently pushing me, metaphorically speaking. Sunflower/Vince and Cooter's encouraging and supportive words. Can't exclude FE's polite and friendly nature, and Petries and Darths inspirational backstory.

I had some rough times in my life and lifting has made it feel exponentially better.

You guys rock.

Oh... btw, I just cancelled my gym membership... and switched to a 24 hour open gym instead within the same radius. :)

I love it dood. Such a huge difference in a year. Now wait til next year and the year after that. And the year of that. Lifelong journey brah.

Sadetar

Edit: oops, just realized that something in dinner is cut off. Still the same calories but there is some ricotta cheese missing from the pictures.

This is a typical day generally, though I normally have a salad for lunch. I just had too much of the beef around and needed to eat more that day lol. I also don't put on there the milk that goes into tea, I have a small glass (like 1/4 cup) of wine most nights, etc.

But yeah, exercise seems to be more important for me than diet. Basically anything I eat is against me haha. I once gained ten pounds in a month by...eating salads and carrots. Lol. I also did the starving myself thing in highschool and only ate an apple and a couple carrots all day (like 200 cals) for months and now I know that it would have just maintained because...starving. But I also managed to gain weight on 200 cals a day lol

Basically for me, calories in = gonna gain weight and I have to work out enough that it gets rid of anything I eat. Which is why I don't think I'll lose anything in three months because I don't have time to work out two hours a day like I used to when I was losing weight, I'm just hoping I'll lose even a pound haha.
Don't worry about skipping the day. You needed the rest.

I also would advice you to change your view to what you eat. Don't get me wrong, you eat very well in my opinion. But food is good for you, it keeps your metabolism working and gives you energy to work out. Eating is also 80 % of losing weight and working out is only like max 20 % so eating is very important. I would also recommend you to find a way of eating and working out you think you could stick for a longer period of time to maintain the gains. This all sounds and looks very good so stick with it!

Also if you think there is something really wrong with your metabolism, go check it out. For example I have found out I have hypothyroidism and my metabolism was very low cause of that. Now when I know this and have proper medication, I actually can achieve things way easier.

LEVEL UP:

+STR!
+INT!
+STA!
+VIT!

Hello Gents!

So my first year of lifting has come to an end, and its been a helluva journey thus far.

--
I love your progress pics! And your back just looks so juicy. :p Awesome work sweetie!

Hey guys I'm looking to get some nice tone muscles instead of big gross ones. Does cardio everyday and and 100 curls with a 10 pound weight sound like the way to go? Also should I take up crossfit? Maybe Zumba. Here's what I'm workin with

TJos3vZl.jpg
For some reason this is by far one of my favourite photos in this or in the previous thread. Damn you look good.

*blushes and kicks dirt* Aw shucks.

Speaking of Quadzilla, it's leg day and I can't be more hyped about it. I skipped last week because of my really sore calves (was worried about health issues) but all is good now. I'm even more excited for the crazy DOMS I'm gonna have this weekend.

EDIT: FWIW I know I've posted this before, but I posted this on FB recently and I feel like it's my favorite leg pic of mine. Simply because the lighting really shows off that definition I get in my quads. It's like the only place I can get insane striations and shape so I gotta be proud.
You good sir have killer legs and I also love that photo.

MjFrancis

Has this been posted? Nineteen year old woman deadlifts 315lbs @ 121lbs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/279tp3/deadlifted_3_plates_315_lb_121_lb_bodyweight/

There's a video in the link, and she's only been deadlifting for eight months. Before the form police roll in with sirens blazing:

Guys please remember this day I pulled fucking 45 more pounds than I have EVER pulled before. This is a HUGE PR and my form will obviously not be prefect. Form break down happens at a true 1rm.

Since this is towards the beginning of the new thread, I'll use this as an example of someone lifting heavy shit without being big and bulky. She's been training for a few years even if she hasn't been deadlifting too long, she has good numbers all around and she has the 'toned' look that people are going for when they sign up for spin class and lift light weight for high reps.

Consistency + lifting heavy = awesome.

kingslunk

I've been running somewhat frequently this year. 2013 was a lot of fast food and sitting on the couch. Quit eating fast food and have been training for a 5k which is on Thursday. I just ran the distance in about 33 minutes. Is this slow or average? When running in a large group do you tend to run faster than by yourself?

Bro, you are a damn beast. If you posted it before, I missed it but what do you do with regards to a routine? Also, what is your height and weight?

Awesome photos. I wish my friend who's currently through-hiking the appalachian trail had a gaf account to share his photos with... I'll take photos of my own if I'm able to meet up with him for a section hike when he comes through my state.

grumble

Well unfortunately it's not helping me lose weight (just 5 pounds over three months, probably eating too little), but I'm in a much better place cardio-wise than the beginning of the year. I've always been in my best shape when I've done cardio almost every day.

Maybe get a week where you eat more, see if you pop out of starvation mode? I find that lowering carbs helps too, keeps that insulin in good shape though I'm not sure if your carbs are lowish already.

Bro, you are a damn beast. If you posted it before, I missed it but what do you do with regards to a routine? Also, what is your height and weight?

5' 9'' (69 inches)180lbs

HIIT Training:

•Monday (early): Track work: speed-endurance (300m, 200m, 100m)
•Monday (late): Upper body strength training

•Tuesday (early): Track work: (2 x 10m, 2 x 20m, 2 x 30m, 1 x 50m) or speed work
•Tuesday (late): Lower body quad dominant strength training (squats, knee flexors, hip flexors)

•Thursday (early): Track work: speed day (5 x 60m) or (4 x 90m) or (3 x 120m) w/ 10 minute rest interval
•Thursday (late): Upper body strength training

•Friday (early): Track work: speed endurance (3 x 150m) or (4 x 120m) or (180m, 150m, 120m)
•Friday (late): Lower body hip dominant strength training (deadlifts, split squats, hip flexors)

LINK: Crank It Up: Hit Intensity Interval Training

Awesome photos. I wish my friend who's currently through-hiking the appalachian trail had a gaf account to share his photos with... I'll take photos of my own if I'm able to meet up with him for a section hike when he comes through my state.

I hiked parts of Appalachian trail (Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia) a couple times when I was younger. I'm going to be doing it again sometime this summer.

Everyone should check out http://www.SwimmingHoles.org for some cool ass swimming holes to check out if you every go hiking!!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

LEVEL UP:

+STR!
+INT!
+STA!
+VIT!

Hello Gents!

The collected locks are actually from my gym by gymfolks who have abandoned them. Sorta a habit I picked up along the way.
I've Traversed through many days of lifting, distance sprinting on a vacant soccer field by midnight. Regardless of weather conditions; snow, rain, freezing cold temperatures, winds and storms.

Also managed to sign up for Kendo midway!

Progression:

2013:

June : Weight 72 Kg

N7wsecn.jpg

November: Weight 87,8 Kg

2014:

June: Weight 73 Kg

gHL7Wk4.jpg

Pardon the unkept hair, drowzy look and sloppy pose. It was early morning when the photos were taken. As a bonus, I'm wearing the same briefs as in the 2013 photos for better comparison.

I went from a trouser size of 36 to a size 29 (currently)! Prior to the beginning of this journey it was actually 30!

Current lifting statistics:

1RM:

Squat: 125 Kg
Deadlift: 140 Kg
Overhead press: 57,5 Kg
Bench press: 87,5 Kg
Powerclean: 30 Kg - (60 Kg*)
Back extensions: 60 Kg

*=reset

Weight statistics:

Period: June 4th 2013 - June 4th 2014

E4aMWh2.jpg

Pardon the lack of registered weight data between June 4th and November 17th 2013. I didn't seriously track my weight untill my cut late november.

I want to tell you guys that I really appreciate your help fitgaf. I still remember the time I hit 1 plate bench 3x5 and Sean asked if I shouted "lightweight baby! wooo!" when I broke the plateau. Brolic consistently pushing me, metaphorically speaking. Sunflower/Vince and Cooter's encouraging and supportive words. Can't exclude FE's polite and friendly nature, and Petries and Darths inspirational backstory.

I had some rough times in my life and lifting has made it feel exponentially better.

You guys rock.

Oh... btw, I just cancelled my gym membership... and switched to a 24 hour open gym instead within the same radius. :)

So that sorta resembles you in the front after picture but who did you get for the after back pic? Hard work, dedication, patience! Amazing what you can accomplish in only 1 year! You should be proud man.

Stannis

Was shopping for some new shirts today. Inside the changing rooms there were mirrors on each wall and I managed to get a good look at my back. It seems my upper back is starting to really come along since I made it a priority in my assistance work.

Feels good!

Matugi

Once again did something to my back while dead lifting. Was on my third rep at 315 and I felt a pop in my lower back then a wave of pain through my pelvis on my right side on the back. I have no idea what's going on, I hadn't done DLs in two weeks and felt fine. It's been the same spot that's been getting strained since it first happened about three months ago. I was hitting 335 for 5 reps easilly and now I can barely get 305 for 5. I've tried deloading and working on my form and my back feels fine afterwards but as soon as I go heavy I keep straining the same part. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to stop deadlifting because it's a great exercise but the pain gets pretty bad. I think I'm gonna go light next week and try recording and see if anybody can see faults with my form.

yogloo

Once again did something to my back while dead lifting. Was on my third rep at 315 and I felt a pop in my lower back then a wave of pain through my pelvis on my right side on the back. I have no idea what's going on, I hadn't done DLs in two weeks and felt fine. It's been the same spot that's been getting strained since it first happened about three months ago. I was hitting 335 for 5 reps easilly and now I can barely get 305 for 5. I've tried deloading and working on my form and my back feels fine afterwards but as soon as I go heavy I keep straining the same part. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to stop deadlifting because it's a great exercise but the pain gets pretty bad. I think I'm gonna go light next week and try recording and see if anybody can see faults with my form.
A great exercise is no good if you are destroying your body. The form check is definitely a good thing but please take a break and wait until it is healed.
What we are doing is a marathon, not a sprint.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Post a video next time. Sounds like you're using too much lower back to finish out the movement rather than glutes. You're probably straining a psoas muscle from the sound of it.

Matugi

A great exercise is no good if you are destroying your body. The form check is definitely a good thing but please take a break and wait until it is healed.
What we are doing is a marathon, not a sprint.

I know which is why I've only deadlifted 3 times in the last 2 months. The pain usually dissipates after a day or two as well. I just really can't figure out why it keeps happening when I've done my best to correct my form. I'm gonna stick around 225 for next week when I record.

@Brolic:

I think it may be using too much lower back because quick Google search says it's the gluteus medius I'm straining

Chocobro

I'm with you, I think it just needs to go. There are bettet ways to go about gaining mass even if you are a completely untrained skinny newbie. why don't we just have a list of a few calorically dense foods that are good to eat if you have trouble gaining weight? for example almonds and other nuts, their respective butters, breakfast cereals, cottage cheese, and yes milk and eggs. Just a few examples to kick it off.

Yup. I would also suggest re-adding the simplesciencefitness website to the OT because I still feel it is a good source of information for newcomers and it is easy to read. It has a good section on diet, foods to eat, and a few recipes: here.

-----------------------------------------
I started having this problem a month ago: after some heavy high-bar back squats or deadlifts (mainly squats though), the area around the tailbone area starts hurting. It would go away after a minute or so. However when I bend over while on my knees to wash my hair, the same area would start to hurt as well. My friend suggested it was a cyst because he had a similar experience. However it doesn't hurt when I sit like he experienced. I went to a doctor two Saturdays ago and he said it isn't a cyst (there's no redness or swelling as far as I know) and it's probably the way I'm squatting that's aggravating the area.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any advice?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know which is why I've only deadlifted 3 times in the last 2 months. The pain usually dissipates after a day or two as well. I just really can't figure out why it keeps happening when I've done my best to correct my form. I'm gonna stick around 225 for next week when I record.

@Brolic:

I think it may be using too much lower back because quick Google search says it's the gluteus medius I'm straining

Once the bar hits past th midpoint/top of your knee think about humping the bar. Bring your hips forward that way rather than extending your back.

Long time lurker guys.

I had a question:

I've been doing the 3x5 regiment in the first post since March-April and here's where my results have been stagnant for the past 2 weeks or so(havent been able to do full 3x5 5-10 lbs past this):

DL: 235
Squat:235
Bench:135
Overhead: 105
PullUps: 3-4 Max
PowerClean:105
Bent Over Rows 105

I'm especially struggling in the Power Clean and the Overhead Press.

When's a good time to deload? Or do I push through and tell myself its mental fatigue.

Matugi

Once the bar hits past th midpoint/top of your knee think about humping the bar. Bring your hips forward that way rather than extending your back.

Thanks, I'll focus on that when I record next week. In the meantime, what's the best way to work out the kinks in the glute medius? I've tried foam rolling but I can't effectively isolate the area and it feels like it has no effect

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks, I'll focus on that when I record next week. In the meantime, what's the best way to work out the kinks in the glute medius? I've tried foam rolling but I can't effectively isolate the area and it feels like it has no effect

Get a lacrosse ball.

Faiz

I've been doing the 3x5 regiment in the first post since March-April and here's where my results have been stagnant for the past 2 weeks or so(havent been able to do full 3x5 5-10 lbs past this):

Sounds to me like you should go ahead and deload now (only on lifts you've been unable to get your reps, of course).

lmpaler

Use em if it's time, brah. Ain't no shame in that game. Absolutely use a belt. You're at the numbers where you do it.

Thank you Vince, now please fix WWE. ;)

Also as a lurker I must say, some fine work you GAFfers have done to yourselves. Keep it up and remember, when you aren't training you should be thinking about training.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thank you Vince, now please fix WWE. ;)

Also as a lurker I must say, some fine work you GAFfers have done to yourselves. Keep it up and remember, when you aren't training you should be thinking about training.

If you need to remember to think about training, you're not training, you're fucking around.

Matugi

I took this video real quick at the end of my workout, just 135 so there was no risk of injury. I think the biggest thing I can see from it is that I'm exaggerating the lockout, and shifting my weight towards my toes (you can see my heels pop up). I think this is causing me to arch my spine too much which is where the strain in my muscle is coming from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfvArnpS0Y0

Ashodin

(in a new post, for the sake of order :p)

you remind me a lot of myself when I started doing fitness .
Awesome man, thanks. Yeah I think the misunderstanding with people in this thread is the goals they think I have are different from my actual goals. Confusion abounded haha!

Today's another solid day though! Going to take my regimen and see how far I can continue to lift and build! I'd like to be lifting and moving 100lbs + on each machine starting base next week. That's my goal.

Irobot82

Recording again tonight. I'll be recording squats and deadlifts and maybe my bench. I recorded my bench last time but my shirt was riding up and my gut was poking out and I got scared to upload it to youtube. Next Wednesday I should be hitting 3 plates on my deadlift which is an exciting goal to achieve.

Pete Rock

I took this video real quick at the end of my workout, just 135 so there was no risk of injury. I think the biggest thing I can see from it is that I'm exaggerating the lockout, and shifting my weight towards my toes (you can see my heels pop up). I think this is causing me to arch my spine too much which is where the strain in my muscle is coming from

In my opinion it looks like your posterior chain finishes well before the motion of your back, that is to say your ass comes up and your legs are almost straight as the bar gets just past your knees, so you are effectively leaning way too far out away from your body and this requires you to finish the movement from the ass up with your back. Imagine dragging the bar up the whole length of your legs not just your shins. Try to balance these two hinges so instead of starting one when you are 75% done with the other, they should both finish at the same time. Like if you pause it at 14 second timecode you can see your shoulders chest and entire upper center of gravity are way forward of your hips and feet, and the bar is also six inches away from your hips, which is a huge no-no and results in an exaggerated fulcrum at your tailbone. The heels rising or popping is indicative of focusing too much of the beginning load in your legs. If you were to be doing a power-clean and your heels were popping like this rip would call it a "donkey kick" and it it something to eliminate early on.

Your chest and back doesn't look that bad in terms of alignment, but while you are reviewing things I would suggest making it a habit to keep your cervical spine in alignment with your chin tucked in and your neck packed while focusing on keeping your chest up instead of leading with the crown of the head. There is no need to look forward at 90' to the floor at any point in time and it can only lead to a bad muscle cue in the future ie ok my head is up now the weight goes up, which can be all sorts of bad.

I would eliminate the extreme lockout, there is no need to roll your shoulders down and lean back at the waist like that. Once you are vertical and the bar isn't going any higher while it is resting against your hips you are absolutely finished with the rep. To be honest I think part of your problems could be due to this motion as well, at the very least it would be exacerbating the issues presented by the earlier segments of the movement.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'll be flat out honest, you're completely FUBAR.

You're not tight, using too much low back, weight in front of you instead of on your heels etc etc. go back and watch how I setup in my video and YouTube "the spot athletics deadlift setup." To get fixed.

If you watch my video pay attention to the bar, you can see when I setup before I even initiate the pull the bar bends, thsts because I'm pulling the slack out of the bar, which is what you want to be doing as it keeps you tight and in the groove. It should be noted, also look at my arms. I'm not doing this with my arms I'm doing it with my legs. If you try to pull the slack out with your arms and then pull heavy, you're risking a torn bicep.

http://youtu.be/X0wCRNa81as

And ditch those shoes.

Here's that video from the spot.

http://youtu.be/hlBMGsRly1c

Pete Rock

And ditch those shoes.
Yeah this is really important, I take this for granted because I lift in vibrams, but when my buddy ditched his chucks and went barefoot on deads he really made some serious progress. Excellent point, thank you for raising it Brolic, I should not have glossed over this.

Matugi

I'll be flat out honest, you're completely FUBAR.

You're not tight, using too much low back, weight in front of you instead of on your heels etc etc. go back and watch how I setup in my video and YouTube "the spot athletics deadlift setup." To get fixed.

If you watch my video pay attention to the bar, you can see when I setup before I even initiate the pull the bar bends, thsts because I'm pulling the slack out of the bar, which is what you want to be doing as it keeps you tight and in the groove.

http://youtu.be/X0wCRNa81as

And ditch those shoes.

In my opinion it looks like your posterior chain finishes well before the motion of your back, that is to say your ass comes up and your legs are almost straight as the bar gets just past your knees, so you are effectively leaning way too far out away from your body and this requires you to finish the movement from the ass up with your back. Imagine dragging the bar up the whole length of your legs not just your shins. Try to balance these two hinges so instead of starting one when you are 75% done with the other, they should both finish at the same time. Like if you pause it at 14 second timecode you can see your shoulders chest and entire upper center of gravity are way forward of your hips and feet, and the bar is also six inches away from your hips, which is a huge no-no and results in an exaggerated fulcrum at your tailbone. The heels rising or popping is indicative of focusing too much of the beginning load in your legs. If you were to be doing a power-clean and your heels were popping like this rip would call it a "donkey kick" and it it something to eliminate early on.

Your chest and back doesn't look that bad in terms of alignment, but while you are reviewing things I would suggest making it a habit to keep your cervical spine in alignment with your chin tucked in and your neck packed while focusing on keeping your chest up instead of leading with the crown of the head. There is no need to look forward at 90' to the floor at any point in time and it can only lead to a bad muscle cue in the future ie ok my head is up now the weight goes up, which can be all sorts of bad.

I would eliminate the extreme lockout, there is no need to roll your shoulders down and lean back at the waist like that. Once you are vertical and the bar isn't going any higher while it is resting against your hips you are absolutely finished with the rep. To be honest I think part of your problems could be due to this motion as well, at the very least it would be exacerbating the issues presented by the earlier segments of the movement.

Really appreciate it guys, and no worries Brolic I know my form needs tons of work which is why I'm deloading. It's just been getting worse and worse since I initially pulled the muscle a couple of months ago. I think another thing that is happening is I'm afraid of injuring it again so I'm over compensating by trying to get extra "explosiveness" through that awkward hip thrust at the top, and as a result it's causing a lot of the imbalances. Dropping down to 225 next week to work on some things.

EDIT: just noticed another thing from my vid, it looks like I'm pulling the bar in as opposed to up. I think this is coming from the two hinge thing Pete mentioned

Booties

Banned
Figured I'd give an update on my progress after 1 full month. I'm follow the Stronglifts 5x5 routine.

May 6, 2014:
  • Squat: 115 lbs.
  • Bench: 75 lbs.
  • Row: 65 lbs
  • OH Press: 50lbs
  • DL: 95 lbs
June6, 2014:
  • Squat: 180 lbs.
  • Bench: 135 lbs.
  • Row: 125 lbs
  • OH Press: 85lbs
  • DL: 205 lbs
Obviously I had some adjustments to make at the beginning because my Deadlift, row, and bench went up faster. Around two weeks ago I put dips, chin-ups, some dumbbell work(military press, chest flys), and lat pull downs. I mix them up and alternate a bit. I think they really helped me carve out a little more definition and stregnth. I feel sore, but not exhausted the next day which feels really good. At the start I could do 6 or 7 dips max, now I can do 11, 10, & 9 in a row. My pull-ups are still pretty bad, but I will use the assisted machine until I can do more.

I don't think my body weight has changed from ~195, but the scale at my gym is super unreliable so I gotta go pick one up. Overall though, I'm loving this routine. Quick, fun, and easy to follow. I feel a lot stronger and am getting comments on my arms and chest already. So that's nice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This video makes it look so easy, but man, I can't seem to get it down perfectly. Going to keep trying, though.

Are chucks really that bad to deadlift in? Is it fine to squat in vibrams?

I've read opinions on both sides. People saying chucks and other hard flat-soled shoes are better than going barefoot/Vibram-type shoes because of the support and traction they provide, while others say that barefoot or even socks are better.

Having tried both (albeit I'm not lifting anything incredibly heavy), I don't really notice a tangible difference. I think I'm beginning to feel more comfortable squatting in chucks. Either way, as long as you don't have shoes with cushioned soles, I think you'll be OK.

blackflag

Hey guys I'm looking to get some nice tone muscles instead of big gross ones. Does cardio everyday and and 100 curls with a 10 pound weight sound like the way to go? Also should I take up crossfit? Maybe Zumba. Here's what I'm workin with

TJos3vZl.jpg

Damn son you gettin big. Props!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom