• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Shy Fingers

Banned
almost skipped today because but went with my gf. Glad I went just to witness this strong ass powerlifter who resembled a sumo man handle his squats.

He was squatting close to 500 for reps. :O. He was getting low as fuck too.

looked like the guy on the right.

I would melt into a puddle of mushy words if he spoke to me..

I'm giving serious thought to changing my plans for my new house (can't find anything which suits that also has a big enough garage). Instead, I'm considering having a bespoke building added to the garden which would become my gym, at the cost of about £18,000 GBP (~$26,000 USD).

Just trying to find out if the useable internal height (structure can only go so high without planning permission) would be sufficient.

JoeNut

Anyone ever participated in a Tough Mudder? Doing one in "chicago" (rockford) this saturday and NERVOUS AS SHIT

12 miles 20 obstacles. Like, I think i might take a mr. hyde to keep my endurance up throughout.

Yes, i'm doing the one in North Yorkshire (UK) on the 7th of August.

What training have you done for it?

BumRush

I think I can go more than 2x a week, sir.

I would definitely take a look at Starting Strength (links in the OP) for your weightlifting plan. It's an excellent beginner program that ends up becoming more as you progress. Instead of steady state running / jogging, you should be doing HIIT 3-4 times a week (an example of this would be alternating 1 minute of jogging with 1 minute of sprinting on a treadmill or bike, for X amount of time).

More importantly than lifting, you're in college so I'm guessing you need to get your diet in order. It's hard in school, but do your best. Use the caloric intake in the OP to determine what your maintenance calories are and we can go from there. When I was in college, I started putting on a few pounds. In addition to working out, I made a point to have a healthy breakfast and a salad for lunch every day. That way, if I had 1,000 calories for dinner, I was still right at my daily goal.

I meant to tell you guys, I hit my goal �� 50lbs lost 228-178

Now I get to slowly increase my calories and see where I can maintain this

Final cut results

Looking great. Incredible progress! Congrats on the goal!

So, yeah. This is hard to type. Don't be like me FitGAF. I attempted to get in shape a couple of years ago and was following the fitness thread and posting some, and then I just fell off.

Funny thing is that Sean started maybe 5-6 months before me. Except he didn't quit. And he looks fucking great. Congrats dude, you've done a fantastic job.

That being said, I'm back in the gym this week hoping to actually make a permanent change, and seeing Sean's progress is a big reason for that.

BumRush

So, yeah. This is hard to type. Don't be like me FitGAF. I attempted to get in shape a couple of years ago and was following the fitness thread and posting some, and then I just fell off.

Funny thing is that Sean started maybe 5-6 months before me. Except he didn't quit. And he looks fucking great. Congrats dude, you've done a fantastic job.

That being said, I'm back in the gym this week hoping to actually make a permanent change, and seeing Sean's progress is a big reason for that.

Most people NEVER do it, so you're way ahead of the game. Let us know how it's going!

Mediking

I meant to tell you guys, I hit my goal 😁 50lbs lost 228-178

Final cut results

Ohmygawd this is an inspiration.... I wanna lose weight so bad....

I would definitely take a look at Starting Strength (links in the OP) for your weightlifting plan. It's an excellent beginner program that ends up becoming more as you progress. Instead of steady state running / jogging, you should be doing HIIT 3-4 times a week (an example of this would be alternating 1 minute of jogging with 1 minute of sprinting on a treadmill or bike, for X amount of time).

More importantly than lifting, you're in college so I'm guessing you need to get your diet in order. It's hard in school, but do your best. Use the caloric intake in the OP to determine what your maintenance calories are and we can go from there. When I was in college, I started putting on a few pounds. In addition to working out, I made a point to have a healthy breakfast and a salad for lunch every day. That way, if I had 1,000 calories for dinner, I was still right at my daily goal.

Okay thanks! I appreciate it!!!

Irobot82

Me too man. This is my third "restart" since 2012. The point is that we keep trying.

Szu

Way to go, Sean.

To any of us that have fallen of the wagon, that was jus a minor bump in the road. Climb back on that wagon and let's continue the journey.

When the time presents itself and that wagon gets close to the track of progress, make sure you stay close enough to jump on the train to your goals.

giphy.gif

SeanR1221

Nice job my good man. That's a decent chunk of weight for sure.

Unrelated, BangFit, the fitness method gyms don't want you to know about.

Probably NFSW

Looking great. Incredible progress! Congrats on the goal!

Congrats!! Looking great.

looking great Sean!

Awesome progress!

Great progress Sean!

Ohmygawd this is an inspiration.... I wanna lose weight so bad....

Okay thanks! I appreciate it!!!

Good deal Sean, your progress is always an inspiration! Keep being awesome.

Way to go, Sean.

To any of us that have fallen of the wagon, that was jus a minor bump in the road. Climb back on that wagon and let's continue the journey.

When the time presents itself and that wagon gets close to the track of progress, make sure you stay close enough to jump on the train to your goals.

giphy.gif

Thank you guys! I just can't wait to eat more. If I can make it to 2500ish calories at the same weight I'll be really happy. Then I'll max out. And then it's time for a very VERY controlled slow bulk.

It happens, but the point is it's never too late! Keep posting here it really helps with accountability. Feel free to keep checking in :)

mdsfx

155lbs. Still not cut enough. My 18lb bulk apparently netted me no muscle mass, only strength somehow. Sweet :(

Fuckinggoddamnwasteofeffortandtimeiquit

MjFrancis

I think I might be the only person here who likes cutting. Not having to eat a crazy amount saves me so much time.
I consider cutting from time to time, but I happen to like sitting down for four pulled pork sandwiches more than I want fully defined abs, apparently.

I meant to tell you guys, I hit my goal 😁 50lbs lost 228-178

Final cut results

Jesus Christ, man. That's work well done. I'd tell you to go eat a pizza and drink a keg because you earned it, but I'd hate to see you gain 10 lbs this weekend.

You weigh the same thing I weigh, but the numbers I believe I've seen on the push/pull are inspirational. Keep on proving shit can get done, man.
Lord knows students like me are taking notes.

I consider cutting from time to time, but I happen to like sitting down for four pulled pork sandwiches more than I want fully defined abs, apparently.

It's worth noting that some days I burn upwards of 2,000kcal... so my cutting actually involves quite a few calories anyway. :D

Faiz

What are your suggestions for exercising at home?

Depends heavily on your goals. The next question becomes budget, and space.

I feel pretty strongly, tho, that anyone who has any interest in fitness should have at least a pull-up bar at home. The ones you can easily hang and remove from a standard doorway is fine, and inexpensive.

From there, like I said, depends heavily on goals, budget and space.

BumRush

What are your suggestions for exercising at home?

My honest opinion: Don't do it unless you have the necessary equipment, especially as a beginner. Gyms have more stuff (unless you're Brolic), are generally more motivating and have people who can spot you as you progress.

155lbs. Still not cut enough. My 18lb bulk apparently netted me no muscle mass, only strength somehow. Sweet :(

Fuckinggoddamnwasteofeffortandtimeiquit
You might be to the point of needing to dry out to get more cut. There may be a pound or two there but don't kill yourself XD

Shoot for a longer bulk ;)

my stomach is still upset from the bad salad last night. it feels like i spent the night drinking. i guess i'm not ready for healthy lifestyle.

when i burp all i taste is the salad and dressing LOL

hopefully i'll be okay later today. i already skipped squats yesterday.

mdsfx

You might be to the point of needing to dry out to get more cut. There may be a pound or two there but don't kill yourself XD

Shoot for a longer bulk ;)

I think i have another 2lbs of fat before im there.

Also, I may never bulk that "heavily" again. I will try something much slower (slight calorie increase) next time. It was also a fairly dirty bulk, so i guess that's what I get. Apparently there is more to doing this right than i thought.

The only thing i got from it was strength gains, mostly in my legs. That, and this time around my legs are actually looking cut too for some reason. Unfortunately, i'm still a small, 150-pounder.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're awesome Sean. Impressive!

___

Couple people in NBAGaf trying to downplay Curry’s 400lb hex bar DL saying it isn't impressive. This place kills me sometimes. lol

BumRush

You're awesome Sean. Impressive!

___

Couple people in NBAGaf trying to downplay Curry’s 400lb hex bar DL saying it isn't impressive. This place kills me sometimes. lol

99% of GAF either thinks Curry is the GOAT or the most overrated player of all time. Only a few sane people in those threads.

(That DL is impressive)

Mediking

Depends heavily on your goals. The next question becomes budget, and space.

I feel pretty strongly, tho, that anyone who has any interest in fitness should have at least a pull-up bar at home. The ones you can easily hang and remove from a standard doorway is fine, and inexpensive.

From there, like I said, depends heavily on goals, budget and space.

My honest opinion: Don't do it unless you have the necessary equipment, especially as a beginner. Gyms have more stuff (unless you're Brolic), are generally more motivating and have people who can spot you as you progress.

What about something simple like dumbells? Do you guys suggest I buy some for home or just use the ones at a gym?

velociraptor

I think I might be the only person here who likes cutting. Not having to eat a crazy amount saves me so much time.
I don't like cutting - feels like I'm starving myself to death. I just love food.

I'm currently on a slow/long bulk, though I'm roughly eating at 2200 at the moment - which is 400/500 more than what I was eating previously. It's probably a laughable number of calories for a bulk but figured better play it safe.

Would be nice if I have to eat 3000 daily just to gain 0.5lbs a week but I imagine my metabolism has slowed after cutting for a couple of months. Aiming for 2lb a month max atm.

I think i have another 2lbs of fat before im there.

Also, I may never bulk that "heavily" again. I will try something much slower (slight calorie increase) next time. It was also a fairly dirty bulk, so i guess that's what I get. Apparently there is more to doing this right than i thought.

The only thing i got from it was strength gains, mostly in my legs. That, and this time around my legs are actually looking cut too for some reason. Unfortunately, i'm still a small, 150-pounder.
All good to dig your heels into some dirty sometimes. Resets the brain for sure.

Faiz

What about something simple like dumbells? Do you guys suggest I buy some for home or just use the ones at a gym?

If your goal is to increase strength, Dumbbells are best left to assistance exercises used in conjunction with compound barbell movements. In that case, barring space and a lot of money to dump into equipment, you should just go to a gym.

BumRush

I'd suggest starting with the gym. GOOD home gym equipment is VERY expensive. I believe it's best to save that stuff until you've spent time in the gym.

Shit like that makes me feel bad. Not competing, just hearing that what someone else is doing isn't good. Like, why?

Generally? Because they're so fucking insecure that they feel to project their own negativity onto others. It's desperately pathetic. I genuinely feel for them.

Unrelated... man, I forgot how much I could achieve on the bike when I wasn't wrecked from weights the day before. Despite having to be careful because of my back injury, I just set new 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 minute power records on the turbo trainer. Only 1 watt off my 60 minute record.

Fucking pumped. Injury aside I'm peaking at pretty much the right time for my first major event of the year. \o/

Top Bottom