• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

I know that, but I guess lunges feel like both sides are positive. Controlling the decline feels like a lot of effort for me, especially since it requires you to maintain a balance.
On some lifts you will want to keep controlled core and NOT exhale until the rep is finished, like squats. I treat lunges the same way.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I really need to start cutting. Getting a bit of a gut :(. Guess I should get that renissaunce diet book?.
And anyone have recommendations on good cheap cutting food and or recipes?.

I thought it is bad to hold your breath during lifting.
No. Learn to hold your breath properly to tighten your core. Plenty of exercises require you to hold your breath but don't confuse this with putting insane amounts of pressure on your head exhaling against your brain. You will pass out. With proper technique you can hold your breath tight against your core for added strength and rigidity.

7:40
https://youtu.be/bs_Ej32IYgo

Watch the whole video, though. All of it.

I will sometimes even tighten my core and, by extension, my body when doing pullups. Pin straight right to my toes. Any exercise that you will want to really tighten your core to drive will benefit from holding your breath.

SeanR1221

So I really need to start cutting. Getting a bit of a gut :(. Guess I should get that renissaunce diet book?.
And anyone have recommendations on good cheap cutting food and or recipes?.

Definitely get the book. It will help explain the science behind how calories/macros/timing have an effect on your body.

As for me, I find foods that are easy to prep and give me the biggest bang for my buck; both filling and nutrition wise.

Staples in my diet are
- eggs
- egg whites
- oatmeal
- jasmine rice
- chicken
- tilapia
- mahi mahi
- tuna
- Greek yogurt
- cottage cheese
- whey protein
- apples
- bananas
- strawberries
- dark green vegetables (asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach)
- black coffee

A little Strongman Sunday on this beautiful day.

https://youtu.be/XG-Mb9c3ucE

Nice!

Two Words

I bought a Weight Watchers scale for measuring body fat. How effective are these things? I don't mind if isn't perfectly accurate, but that it will show my improvement and give me at least a good ballpark number. I've been measuring myself on it throughout the day. I try it when I wake up, after eating/drinking, and before I sleep. It's always measuring my body fat between 16.8% - 17%.

As a general rule, they're not particularly accurate. Has been discussed to death on here so I'm just going to leave it at that.
I'll give it a go!

10-15% variance from all the research I've done.

If you want to get at least somewhat consistent results, use it first thing in the morning after you wake up and use the rest room. Get as much as you can out before a weigh in and BF. You should be at your most consistent state in the morning after a fast and evacuating.

I do watch my BF numbers but I don't take them seriously from the machine. I check my weight/bf every Saturday morning in the buck.

I prefer the mirror and "do I look good yet?". Weight is a no brainier - are you gaining/losing weight and the mirror will tell you if you are gaining/losing fat.

Two Words

I'll give it a go!

10-15% variance from all the research I've done.

If you want to get at least somewhat consistent results, use it first thing in the morning after you wake up and use the rest room. Get as much as you can out before a weigh in and BF. You should be at your most consistent state in the morning after a fast and evacuating.

I do watch my BF numbers but I don't take them seriously from the machine. I check my weight/bf every Saturday morning in the buck.

I prefer the mirror and "do I look good yet?". Weight is a no brainier - are you gaining/losing weight and the mirror will tell you if you are gaining/losing fat.
Wait, you're telling me that when it tells me that I'm 17% BF that it could be as bad as 32% in reality? If so, I'd consider it useless.

Wait, you're telling me that when it tells me that I'm 17% BF that it could be as bad as 32% in reality? If so, I'd consider it useless.
10-15% variance.

So if you measure 10% on the machine and it has a 10% variance - you could be somewhere between 9-11% bodyfat. 10% of 10 is 1. So +- 1.

Probably more off on those machines that always measure through your feet. 10-15% is on the conservative side.

Two Words

10-15% variance.

So if you measure 10% on the machine and it has a 10% variance - you could be somewhere between 9-11% bodyfat. 10% of 10 is 1. So +- 1.

Probably more off on those machines that always measure through your feet. 10-15% is on the conservative side.
Okay, that is much more acceptable.

Figures I saw were +/- body fat, not variance. Don't have the latest info to hand, but this link was from earlier in the thread: http://weightology.net/weightologyw...asurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/

edit - lol, and there was me saying I wouldn't get involved with another of these discussions. :D
Oh goddamn! That's some shit.

I know there were variances but I never read this deep on it as I've personally never experienced fluctuations that didn't coincide with weight/mirror looks. They've always followed it pretty dead on. I never expected them to be accurate but I also never read of them heading in the opposite direction. That's bonkers.

The mirror it is, then!

The problem is that they theoretically can work for some people... but I'd really, really advise that people don't make diet etc decisions based on the data they get from them. (Been there, done that, huge mistake)

Nelo Ice

Banned
My cutting food:
Bulking food but smaller amounts for fewer calories

:D

Definitely get the book. It will help explain the science behind how calories/macros/timing have an effect on your body.

As for me, I find foods that are easy to prep and give me the biggest bang for my buck; both filling and nutrition wise.

Staples in my diet are
- eggs
- egg whites
- oatmeal
- jasmine rice
- chicken
- tilapia
- mahi mahi
- tuna
- Greek yogurt
- cottage cheese
- whey protein
- apples
- bananas
- strawberries
- dark green vegetables (asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach)
- black coffee
Thanks for the advice. At a family party and a few cousins have commented on my gut. So that means it's time to start cutting. So aside from updating my grocery list I'm also getting a food scale and the book.

Two Words

Figures I saw were +/- body fat, not variance. Don't have the latest info to hand, but this link was from earlier in the thread: http://weightology.net/weightologyw...asurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/

edit - lol, and there was me saying I wouldn't get involved with another of these discussions. :D

That is pretty damning. One thing that I'm noticing is that my results have been very consistent. I haven't been getting wild numbers. Is there an easy way I can get a more accurate body fat percentage to compare this with? Are those hand holdy thingies much better? Do calipers work better?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So going to start cutting tomorrow. About to order a food scale and get the renaissance diet. Aside from that should I make any changes to my routine?. Currently doing 5/3/1 BBB but thinking of adding cardio but not sure what to do or where to to throw it in. So far I'm thinking about prowlers or I guess HIIT?. Never done HIIT so not sure what to do if I started that.

TheFlow

Banned
I would of started my cut already but it's my birthday weekend so I know I am going to be drinking, staying up late, and eating unhealthy for at least 3 of the days this week. gotta wait till June 1st

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Two Worlds, is there a particular reason you are worried about body fat per stages right now? I would honestly say you should focus more on gains first and worry about body fat later when you are experienced enough to focus your workouts.

Two Words

Two Worlds, is there a particular reason you are worried about body fat per stages right now? I would honestly say you should focus more on gains first and worry about body fat later when you are experienced enough to focus your workouts.
I'm not really looking for big gains. If anything, I want to gain a moderate amount of muscle and cut fat. I guess I want to look like how I look when I suck in my gut.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the advice. At a family party and a few cousins have commented in my gut. So that means it's time to start cutting. So aside from updating my grocery list I'm also getting a food scale and the book.

Nice let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not really looking for big gains. If anything, I want to gain a moderate amount of muscle and cut fat. I guess I want to look like how I look when I suck in my gut.

Even moderate muscle won't come easily, depending on your definition of moderate. I'd honestly worry about upping your numbers before before getting hung up on BF%

You can't chisel a pebble.

Two Words

Nice let me know if you have any questions.

Even moderate muscle won't come easily, depending on your definition of moderate. I'd honestly worry about upping your numbers before before getting hung up on BF%

You can't chisel a pebble.
It's not like my focus is only on BF%. I just wanted to know how much I can depend on what my scale is saying.

SeanR1221

It's not like my focus is only on BF%. I just wanted to know how much I can depend on what my scale is saying.

I mean, you just said you want to gain moderate muscle and cut fat.

Fix form. Get stronger. Build muscle. Then cut.

So going to start cutting tomorrow. About to order a food scale and get the renaissance diet. Aside from that should I make any changes to my routine?. Currently doing 5/3/1 BBB but thinking of adding cardio but not sure what to do or where to to throw it in. So far I'm thinking about prowlers or I guess HIIT?. Never done HIIT so not sure what to do if I started that.

Stick with your current routine. A lot of guys around here aren't a fan of BBB, but some are. If its working for you, keep doing it.

Ive been doing prowlers (pushes and pulls) and tire flips for cardio. I just add them in at the end of my workout if I have time.

Two Words

how much you weigh now?
180 lbs

I mean, you just said you want to gain moderate muscle and cut fat.

Fix form. Get stronger. Build muscle. Then cut.

Stick with your current routine. A lot of guys around here aren't a fan of BBB, but some are. If its working for you, keep doing it.

Ive been doing prowlers (pushes and pulls) and tire flips for cardio. I just add them in at the end of my workout if I have time.
I'm doing all of those things. I'm not going on a heavy cutting phase or anything. I don't understand the pushback on me wanting to just monitor my body fat. I'm not trying to make heavy gains, so I'm not trying to go into any sort of high caloric diet.

SeanR1221

180 lbs

I'm doing all of those things. I'm not going on a heavy cutting phase or anything. I don't understand the pushback on me wanting to just monitor my body fat. I'm not trying to make heavy gains, so I'm not trying to go into any sort of high caloric diet.

Look, Im going to be totally blunt here.

You're getting defensive like you did in your squat thread. People are just trying to help guide you here.

You're not getting pushback. You're getting the appropriate answers to your questions.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Thanks again for the advice and will def ask you if I need any help. And I was thinking of possibly switching from BBB since I'm starting to stall on like everything. I'm like 5'4 160 lbs right now and so am having issues pushing past 115 lb OHP, 185lb bench, 240lb squat, and 340lb deadlift.

edit: Need to check my records but those are approx the weights I started to struggle getting past on the 1s week or I failed to get reps on the last set during the 1st or 2nd week of a cycle.

Two Words

Look, Im going to be totally blunt here.

You're getting defensive like you did in your squat thread. People are just trying to help guide you here.

You're not getting pushback. You're getting the appropriate answers to your questions.

I'm asking about how well a particular device works and you're trying to tell me to ignore body fat. I didn't ask for advice on that. How can it be the "appropriate answer to a question" when it is the answer to a question that was never asked?

TheFlow

Banned
180 lbs

you don't have to bulk to gain muscle but that is only if you are dieting correctly.

if you are just starting out you will get swole without going up massively on the scale.

Two Words

you don't have to bulk to gain muscle but that is only if you are dieting correctly.

if you are just starting out you will get swole without going up massively on the scale.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm banking on. I want to gain a bit of strength and cut a bit of fat. I've always been curious on what my BF% numbers was and wanted to track it.

SeanR1221

Thanks again for the advice and will def ask you if I need any help. And I was thinking of possibly switching from BBB since I'm starting to stall on like everything. I'm like 5'4 160 lbs right now and so am having issues pushing past 115 lb OHP, 185lb bench, 240lb squat, and 340lb deadlift.

edit: Need to check my records but those are approx the weights I started to struggle getting past on the 1s week or I failed to get reps on the last set during the 1st or 2nd week of a cycle.

Have you looked at beyond 5/3/1? A lot of people here incorporate joker sets and first set last.

I'm asking about how well a particular device works and you're trying to tell me to ignore body fat. I didn't ask for advice on that. How can it be the "appropriate answer to a question" when it is the answer to a question that was never asked?

Because in the beginning stages, there are more important things to reach your goal.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm banking on. I want to gain a bit of strength and cut a bit of fat. I've always been curious on what my BF% numbers was and wanted to track it.
hm had to look at your squat video to look at what we are working with:

bruh you are skinny-ish. add 500 calories along with 10lbs on all your lifts every week.

edit: I would go with what everyone else is saying and focus on getting your form down for all your lifts, while gradually increasing them per week. You are not fat, and your bfp would be between 10-17 based off just looking at yah.

Two Words

hm had to look at your squat video to look at what we are working with:

bruh you are skinny-ish. add 500 calories along with 10lbs on all your lifts every week.

edit: I would go with what everyone else is saying and focus on getting your form down for all your lifts, while gradually increasing them per week. You are not fat, and your bfp would be between 10-17 based off just looking at yah.

I don't feel that I am fat. I specifically don't like that most of my fat hangs on my stomach. Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to heavily cut.

My priorities have been making sure I have good form on my lifts, eating a lot of protein, and not going crazy on the caloric intake. As far as form goes, squats is really the only workout that I have trouble with maintaining proper form, so I'm putting extra effort into straightening that out.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Have you looked at beyond 5/3/1? A lot of people here incorporate joker sets and first set last.

Nah not yet, have read on here that it seems good but have just never gotten around to picking up the book and reading it. Guess I'll try it for my next cycle since this week is my 1s week.

edit: And make that another ebook I need to order lol. Well getting told I'm looking fat by family who don't even lift finally got me to stop being stupid about my diet and nutrition.

Two Words

Here comes that defensive attitude again :/

Cry defensive attitude if you want. I'm not really interested in having that argument. If I ask for help and you have an answer to it, great. I'm all ears. But if you're answer is to completely side-step what I'm asking and give an answer to a question nobody asked, then no thanks. I'll pass.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't feel that I am fat. I specifically don't like that most of my fat hangs on my stomach. Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to heavily cut.

My priorities have been making sure I have good form on my lifts, eating a lot of protein, and not going crazy on the caloric intake. As far as form goes, squats is really the only workout that I have trouble with maintaining proper form, so I'm putting extra effort into straightening that out.
cardio

Two Words

Yeah, I'm planning to incorporate after I work on my leg strength. I feel that whenever I run or play basketball for cardio, it significantly impacts my ability to work my legs. My hope is that once I've gained some strength in my legs, running or playing basketball won't leave my legs too weak to squat.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, I'm planning to incorporate after I work on my leg strength. I feel that whenever I run or play basketball for cardio, it significantly impacts my ability to work my legs. My hope is that once I've gained some strength in my legs, running or playing basketball won't leave my legs too weak to squat.

lift before cardio. Squat first then all the other leg exercises.

if you gotta ball before lift space them out 4-5 hours.

Top Bottom